Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The main problem is that there isn't a new update. So you don't have the arrow saying "hey story is carryin' on." Some (subtle) indication other than that would be really nice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I use my monitor vertically so I was able to see the whole scene unfold in one window and it worked very well.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Maybe alter this update a bit so that when you scroll all the way down and your screen doesn't cover the text up top, I don't know, something like orange flares rise up on the top of your screen towards the text or something.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Bongo Bill posted:

I use my monitor vertically so I was able to see the whole scene unfold in one window and it worked very well.
I knew there had to be some weirdo out there who used their monitor on its side :cheers:. Yeah, all these pages with the scrolling-based triggers have some special considerations for tall screens. The current update will just play like a normal animation, and the previous one will get taller so you have to scroll down no matter what.

Ch'marr and I are talking about maybe throwing in a Replay button, tucked away in a corner and styled after the subtle ones in the Flashes. On the other hand, I personally do somewhat sympathize with RandomFerret's feelings on it. If Ch'marr ends up coding a replay button before the next time I see him I'll put it in, otherwise I'm thinking I might just rough it through the rest of the dream sequence as-is. Once the pages are archived it shouldn't be so bad, I'm thinking; I've already somewhat fallen into the habit of breaking my updates at awkward silences. It might be worth sticking with it to see how it works out without the indicators, then perhaps dumping them in afterwards based on the responses of new readers who only see it archivally.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Kazerad posted:

I think a lot of people assume they have to scroll around a lot to find what's happening before they miss it, but the scrolling itself is actually an input that determines the animation timing. The fires will not start spreading until you scroll down to them, Katia will not look up until you move the scrollbar up, and the text will not change until you see it.

I'm okay with it being Schrodinger's Kat now that you've mentioned it, but you might want to put that on a FAQ on the site somewhere.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Update!

I wonder who this is.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Probably just Davesprite.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
This is obviously the king talking, jeez guys.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Next update's speech: "Fear pheromones give a bitter taste to raw meat."

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Did Roxy stumble her way in?

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
You should really have your RSS feed do something different on these updates, it just has the whole sheet of objects underneath the "use a modern browser" text

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So, is it over after the thumbs up?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

MikeJF posted:

So, is it over after the thumbs up?

As far as I can tell.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

There's a little arrow in the top right corner that appears when something's changed and you can scroll back up. I didn't even know about it until I saw a comment pointing it out when I went to see if that was the end. My monitor's a decent size, and I've been maximizing the browser for the past few updates so I completely missed it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my god, that face on the king.

It's perfect.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
He looks slightly cheesed to have the glowing words interrupt his being scary and traumatising at a small dreaming catgirl.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I get the feeling it's a parody of all the suggestions that amount to "KATIA THIS IS INTERNET FRIEND TALKING YOU ARE SO COOL JUST ANIME UP AND USE YOUR SELF CONFIDENCE THAT YOU HAVE STORED SOMEWHERE AND WIPE OUT THIS ISSUE AND ALSO GO SUPER SAIYAN AND SHOOT LASERS OF JUSTICE FROM YOUR FACE PEW PEW PEW YOU CAN DO IT".

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Kurui Reiten posted:

I get the feeling it's a parody of all the suggestions that amount to "KATIA THIS IS INTERNET FRIEND TALKING YOU ARE SO COOL JUST ANIME UP AND USE YOUR SELF CONFIDENCE THAT YOU HAVE STORED SOMEWHERE AND WIPE OUT THIS ISSUE AND ALSO GO SUPER SAIYAN AND SHOOT LASERS OF JUSTICE FROM YOUR FACE PEW PEW PEW YOU CAN DO IT".
Prequel is about a much different kind of escalation.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It will turn out Martin (is this a game spoiler to say?) will be the one who found her, hence the horrible king dream, because he's trying to shake her awake.

Also I rather like the bars interpretation, since the king ghost also first came to life by a thrusting red ruby on his chest, which is like 99% gonna turn out to be the amulet of kings.

Still can't tell if the dreams are foreshadowing if she'll be the hero or amongst the assassins, but I guess that's one of the ongoing mysteries of the comic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dolash posted:

Still can't tell if the dreams are foreshadowing if she'll be the hero or amongst the assassins, but I guess that's one of the ongoing mysteries of the comic.

I don't remember meeting a Khajiit assassin in the dungeon; but I suppose maybe Katia will be killed and eaten by <mudcrabs/goblins/rats/moths/insert humiliatingly weak fodder> here while the cultist raiding party is going through the sewers to take position.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.
Hey guys, I've got a new version of the comic reader up, inspired by some comments on Kazerad's site. Not putting this out on the main /pa/ folder yet, but if you guys wanted to try it out and let me know if there are any problems, feel free. I have some more content updates to do before I want to replace the old comic flashes.

This new version has all panels in one reader that are loaded dynamically instead of in chunks. It also has all the games, although they're not integrated as well as before since it takes forever to reverse engineer them. You can also link to specific panels by clicking on the copy symbol (the two squares) next to the text that tells you which panel you're on. My two favorite panels, here and here.

http://www.nothotbutspicy.com/pa/beta/

Like usual, left/right to navigate, but shift+left/right also navigates by 50 frames now.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Sindow posted:

Hey guys, I've got a new version of the comic reader up, inspired by some comments on Kazerad's site. Not putting this out on the main /pa/ folder yet, but if you guys wanted to try it out and let me know if there are any problems, feel free. I have some more content updates to do before I want to replace the old comic flashes.

This new version has all panels in one reader that are loaded dynamically instead of in chunks. It also has all the games, although they're not integrated as well as before since it takes forever to reverse engineer them. You can also link to specific panels by clicking on the copy symbol (the two squares) next to the text that tells you which panel you're on. My two favorite panels, here and here.

Like usual, left/right to navigate, but shift+left/right also navigates by 50 frames now.

This is really impressive work! Though, in its final version could I request an obvious link back to the site, maybe with a note that you can read the comic in its original format there?

I had to DMCA' some people recently for (very poorly) reposting the comic without permission, full story here. These Flash viewers are really well done and have my full approval, but I still want to make sure people can easily be directed back to the main site.

(also if development continues there is a chance I might one day send you a huge list of typos I have since corrected in the earlier updates. Be prepared.)

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Well, looks like Katia is still alive. After having been woken up from the nightmare in the now-usual fashion.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

That was a really well-done sequence (in fact, that is a severe understatement).

I'm guessing at this point that the yellow-text voice is whoever found her unconscious in the burning church and got her to safety.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I'm guessing at this point that the yellow-text voice is whoever found her unconscious in the burning church and got her to safety.

Also seems like maybe as she was getting burned in the dream she was literally setting herself on fire in her sleep.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
On Google chrome everything just sort of stops once she gets impaled.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
This update continues to impress. Thumbs up to Kazerad and co.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

Kazerad posted:

This is really impressive work! Though, in its final version could I request an obvious link back to the site, maybe with a note that you can read the comic in its original format there?

I had to DMCA' some people recently for (very poorly) reposting the comic without permission, full story here. These Flash viewers are really well done and have my full approval, but I still want to make sure people can easily be directed back to the main site.

(also if development continues there is a chance I might one day send you a huge list of typos I have since corrected in the earlier updates. Be prepared.)

I can't stop laughing at that screenshot where someone was "perfecting" your comic. That is so bizarre.

Anyway, yeah, it's perfectly reasonable for me to put up some more links to the original site. I still have a credits page after the last panel of the comic, but that worked a lot better when the panels came in 200-300 chunks. I'll put it on my to-do list before replacing the old comics. Feel free to suggest any more changes/spelling fixes/etc.

As always, awesome work on the dream sequences.

SuitCase874
Aug 22, 2010

Kazerad posted:

I'M WATCHING YOU...

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Sindow posted:

I can't stop laughing at that screenshot where someone was "perfecting" your comic. That is so bizarre.

If I recall right he had Quill-Weave called Tail-Write in it, which means he might have actually been replagurizing it from the guy who was copying it and changing all the names. That only makes it even stranger.

Sindow posted:

Anyway, yeah, it's perfectly reasonable for me to put up some more links to the original site. I still have a credits page after the last panel of the comic, but that worked a lot better when the panels came in 200-300 chunks. I'll put it on my to-do list before replacing the old comics. Feel free to suggest any more changes/spelling fixes/etc.

One thing I should note is that a couple people actually liked the downloadability/shareability of the original readers, and I'm not sure that would be retained if the images are procedurally loaded/all in one reader. The ability is neat, but at the same time original approach might be more convenient. I guess it would depend what people are using it for.

EDIT:

SuitCase874 posted:

I'M WATCHING YOU...
Hahahaha, if this is about the unauthorized mass scraper app I was criticizing in the Making Comics thread, Sindow's shown me these readers before and I've liked them. That makes it a little different.

EDIT2: Also Sindow you have no platinum account and no contact information! Give me a way to contact you please.

EDIT3 edit combo!:

A student posted:

On Google chrome everything just sort of stops once she gets impaled.
Could I have some more information on your version/plugins if possible?

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 18, 2012

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
stop being on fire

Finally, some practical suggetions for once.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Kazerad posted:

If I recall right he had Quill-Weave called Tail-Write in it, which means he might have actually been replagurizing it from the guy who was copying it and changing all the names. That only makes it even stranger.

I just saw the post in question.

Man, the fuckin ego on that guy huh?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sindow posted:

I'm reading through this for the first time and this is making it a lot quicker! I can't decide how ashamed of myself I should be for knowing most of the characters. I have played way too much Oblivion.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Kazerad posted:

Oh my god, I wish I'd known about this kind of stuff going on before they got deleted. It sounds absolutely hilarious.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

pandaK posted:

Oh my god, I wish I'd known about this kind of stuff going on before they got deleted. It sounds absolutely hilarious.

The thread may have been deleted but you can still read most of it here because that forum system is retarded. Starts toward the bottom of the page and goes backwards.

I love how every bit of subtext, even the most obvious, is explained.

"You have a sneaking suspicion they aren’t actually brothers. (they are gay partners)"
"Cat jokes always offend and upset you (you are a cat-woman)."

edit: hahaha, the way he edited this panel :allears:

Pakled fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 18, 2012

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Oh my God, that is beautiful. For some reason I couldn't stop laughing at "Katia F. Manigan" even though it's probably the least ridiculous thing on that page. It's just such a pointless change!

The relentless use of "bleep" is pretty awesome too. (the trick is adult Bleep-rated)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

quote:

EDIT3 edit combo!:
Could I have some more information on your version/plugins if possible?

Google Chrome:
Version: 21.0.1180.89 m

Extensions:
AdBlock
Add to Amazon Wish List
Avast! Webrep
Better Pop UP Blocker
Black Menu
Chrome Pass
Doc PDF/Powerpoint Viewer
Downlaod Master
Evernote Web Clipper
Facebook for Chrome
Flash Control (Prequel is whitelisted)
Fullscreen Homestar Runner
FVD Video downloader
Google dictionary
Google translate
Keep URL Alive
Looper for Youtube
RSS Subscription Extension
Session Manager
SA Last Read
Stop Autoplay for Youtube
SuperSorter
TinEye Reverse Image Search
Wot_stat.user.js

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pakled posted:

The thread may have been deleted but you can still read most of it here because that forum system is retarded. Starts toward the bottom of the page and goes backwards.

I love how every bit of subtext, even the most obvious, is explained.

"You have a sneaking suspicion they aren’t actually brothers. (they are gay partners)"
"Cat jokes always offend and upset you (you are a cat-woman)."

edit: hahaha, the way he edited this panel :allears:
Katia's butt is very large when uncensored. The ugly dithering is an added bonus.

quote:

Then you realized the elves shouldn't be here they should be at the emergency elf summit (that's what someone told you on your way here)
Yes, this is exactly the reason behind Katia's outburst. :spergin:

quote:

The original story isn't really that great I actually edited a lot of the scratchy pictures and changed the words. The site it comes from isn't running anymore, but I already had all the images on my pc, I just put them on a image hosting site, then put them here.
Yes, Kaz, you were lucky to find such a great editor to perfect your work. Good thing he was there to rescue and improve your work after your site went offline.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

quote:

(a blackout is when you get so drunk that you forget every thing that you did while you were drunk and you cant remember a single thing that happened. While you are drunk you go insane and do things you normally wouldn't do, but you don't remember any of it..)
That guy's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Call Now posted:

That guy's the best.

It's like literally looking into the thought processes of a mentally ill person. It's kind of weird. Like the recognition cue cards for asperger's, but for text expressions instead of facial expressions.

• Locked thread