Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Alacron posted:

Trailer looked good to me, no Kaneko designs is certainly a bummer but the characters don't look bad, at least to me.
They look pretty boring to me, main-line SMT should be Kaneko all the way through, and shouldn't have generic anime coloring to it. Along with that, I could definitely do without the generic anime voice acting. This is main-line SMT, it's supposed to be all weird.

edit: the dialog isn't very coherent to me but I guess everyone in that fantasy country wherever it is wants to be a samurai and go off to Tokyo and kill demons.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Looks sweet as hell.

I think I heard "oni samurai" at some point, so maybe they are Devil Knights or Devil Samurai? Would fit the usual naming motif.

I'm find with first person battles, though I do wish we were getting something more along the lines of Nocturne. Ah well.

No Kaneko art is a bummer.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The 3D exploration looks rad as hell.

I'm sad that there's no Kaneko characters, but it looks like the portraits actually emote, which I like. I'm not sold on the static image cutscenes.

I love the little effects in battle, even if I wish they had been in third person. I'm glad it doesn't have random encounters.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

They look pretty boring to me, main-line SMT should be Kaneko all the way through, and shouldn't have generic anime coloring to it. Along with that, I could definitely do without the generic anime voice acting. This is main-line SMT, it's supposed to be all weird.

edit: the dialog isn't very coherent to me but I guess everyone in that fantasy country wherever it is wants to be a samurai and go off to Tokyo and kill demons.

I get what you're saying, but I can't bring myself to get mad over generic character designs. What we've seen so far certainly seems like a step down from Kaneko, but I haven't seen anything that offends my sensibilities. After suffering through some of the art for the new Fire Emblem game, characters in some kind of standard uniform that's not hilariously impractical seems pretty nice to me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, no random encounters is a big bonus. I'm definitely picking this up even if the battle style isn't to my liking, it definitely looks great from that trailer. Also it's quite possible they're just referencing Samurai to being in the new world or something, that's what the story is about right? A city being transported to a new world or something?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
So, this has spurred me on into getting a 3DS. My old fatty DS broke, and I wasn't all that interested in a 3DS until right now. I'll probably have to get an american one and order all my games from the states though, unless I can bypass the loving REGION LOCKING somehow, since Atlus have a bad track record of releasing their games over here. That said, P4A is out here, so we'll see.

gently caress Nintendo forever for region locking the 3DS.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm mixed on the lack of random encounters. On one hand, I think it's awesome because random encounters are practically dead anyways; on the other, I find that random encounters are one of the things I love about SMT. Playing Strange Journey or SMT3 and having to fight a few battles every few steps when you're almost down and out and managing to get through safely without running away? There's always moments like that in SMT for me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Alacron posted:

I get what you're saying, but I can't bring myself to get mad over generic character designs. What we've seen so far certainly seems like a step down from Kaneko, but I haven't seen anything that offends my sensibilities. After suffering through some of the art for the new Fire Emblem game, characters in some kind of standard uniform that's not hilariously impractical seems pretty nice to me.
Huh, I was thinking of getting the new Fire Emblem game next...

Anyway, that's the problem, it's TOO safe. I bet Kaneko's designs offend some people's sensibilities (it took me a bit to warm up to them, having seen them in SMT3 for the first time), that's part of why they are good.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Walter: There's nothing wrong with having fun fighting demons. I don't think the samurai are wrong.

Male Voice 1: Distinctions like that disappear when you corner someone.

Female Voice: Adam didn't eat the fruit because he wanted an apple. He ate it because it was forbidden.

Isabeau: ...Or you can walk the path you choose with your chin held high.

Walter: You think you're being kind--that's just turning a blind eye to the truth.

Johnathan: There's a diference between courage and recklessness.

Walter: I want to change this awful world!
(Full Translation: http://pastebin.com/RcmBYXfT)

Personally, I don't mind the 2D battles, because the atmosphere of the areas looks amazing. The character designs are a bit goofy, but y'know, we'll be used to them in a few months. Plus, I still like Doi more than Soejima. or yasuda I'm super excited, if Soul Hackers comes along, I'll have a good reason to have a 3DS.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm just hoping the battle system is fun, it didn't seem like they went back to the press turn system (Why, Atlus? that was your best combat system :argh:) but if they can manage to make a better one by all means I'm for it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, I was thinking of getting the new Fire Emblem game next...

Anyway, that's the problem, it's TOO safe. I bet Kaneko's designs offend some people's sensibilities (it took me a bit to warm up to them, having seen them in SMT3 for the first time), that's part of why they are good.

From what I understand the new FE is supposed to be really, REALLY good, but has some character designs that are pretty :psyduck:, particularly the DLC characters (cleavage windows, miniskirts etc etc...)

I get what you're saying about the characters, and I'm a fan of Kaneko's designs too. All I'm saying is that it's far from a deal breaker for me.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Honestly I would rather have first person sprite battles rather than ports of Nocturne's models again. The first person style isn't even that bad honestly, I'm not sure why people are so against it. I mean like yeah I get that animations are fun and all, but after a while it isn't super exciting to watch pixie cast dia for the 1000th time.

What I'm not really a fan of though is first person dungeons though, so I'm really happy that we get some 3D exploration going on. I'm going to guess that a lot of the budget is going to go into making this look good, but I guess time will tell! I wonder if they'll stick with those costumes the whole game, or switch up wardrobes a bit after hitting the streets of Tokyo.

I do hope that Atlus gets some demon models ready for this/next generation though, even though I'm sure that's a huge pain in the rear end to do. About how many of those are in SMT3 anyway?

Hace fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 17, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Alacron posted:

From what I understand the new FE is supposed to be really, REALLY good, but has some character designs that are pretty :psyduck:, particularly the DLC characters (cleavage windows, miniskirts etc etc...)

I get what you're saying about the characters, and I'm a fan of Kaneko's designs too. All I'm saying is that it's far from a deal breaker for me.
Oh, its definitely not for me either, obviously every time I play a Persona game I am playing a game without Kaneko's character designs. Its just a given that he always does the demon designs though...right?

edit: I like first person dungeons and combat, and from playing Soul Hackers, it's like the 3DS's 3D function was made for that.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 17, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm just hoping the battle system is fun, it didn't seem like they went back to the press turn system (Why, Atlus? that was your best combat system :argh:) but if they can manage to make a better one by all means I'm for it.

Looks like Press Turn to me. It has the little icons in top corner and everything.

Also:

HMMMM.

Hace posted:

What I'm not really a fan of though is first person dungeons though, so I'm really happy that we get some 3D exploration going on. I'm going to guess that a lot of the budget is going to go into making this look good, but I guess time will tell! I wonder if they'll stick with those costumes the whole game, or switch up wardrobes a bit after hitting the streets of Tokyo.

It looks like your clothing changes with your equipment. (Except, I guess, on the battle status menu)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Looks like Press Turn to me. It has the little icons in top corner and everything.

Oh wow, I can't believe I didn't see the little icons in the trailer, thanks for pointing that out.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Artix74 posted:

Persona 4 was released a full 2 years after the launch of the Wii and PS3. Raidou 2 came out in Summer 2009. Atlus loves to launch their big RPGs well after the generation is "over."

P4 wasn't their first PS2 RPG, though; not even close. Nocturne was their first RPG of that generation, and it came out in 2003, three years after the PS2 debuted, and two years after that particular game engine was first used in Maken Shao.

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

Had to go to gamestop to buy a game for my bro, and miraculously I saw Nocturne in the used $15 and under bin (even more shocking considering it was $20). Once I finish Strange Journey (just got locked into the neutral path) I'm gonna be on that.

btw, should I go for the Cosmic Eggs before going for the nuke in the Gigantic? The no spoiler alerts boss there seems to be pretty god drat powerful

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

gtrmp posted:

P4 wasn't their first PS2 RPG, though; not even close. Nocturne was their first RPG of that generation, and it came out in 2003, three years after the PS2 debuted, and two years after that particular game engine was first used in Maken Shao.

That quite true. I'm simply pointing out that Atlus is like that guy who stays at a party long after basically everyone else has left. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if P5 doesn't release until another year or so.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Artix74 posted:

That quite true. I'm simply pointing out that Atlus is like that guy who stays at a party long after basically everyone else has left, but he's so fun you don't mind if he sticks around. Hell, you even offer him a place to sleep for the night, then you hang out the next morning. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if P5 doesn't release until another year or so.

Tied up and improved that analogy for you, bud.

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

Sauska posted:

Had to go to gamestop to buy a game for my bro, and miraculously I saw Nocturne in the used $15 and under bin (even more shocking considering it was $20). Once I finish Strange Journey (just got locked into the neutral path) I'm gonna be on that.

btw, should I go for the Cosmic Eggs before going for the nuke in the Gigantic? The no spoiler alerts boss there seems to be pretty god drat powerful

For what it was worth, definitely should go for the cosmic eggs.

Now I just need to figure out how to get some decent neutral demons :/

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
A mixture of great and terrible in that trailer. The terrible being no Kaneko character designs, static cutscenes, terrible character art, 2D battle screens with sprites dumped straight from SJ (did they not think to at least update them a little?), first-person battles in general. Also, the voice acting. Hopefully Atlus knows how to localize it into a creepy, mainline SMT style instead of the flowery Persona VA.

Things that are great: The music, the 3D exploration, and hopefully the story.

I'm kinda resigned to the fact that we'll never get a perfect storm game like Nocturne from Atlus again, but this looks more interesting than SJ.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 18, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The battle effects looked really good.

The sprites look pretty bad.

The music seems really good.

The character designs seem pretty loving bad.

I'm torn.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Man, that ending. Just finished P3P again, on Hard for the first time. Going to do a NG+ run- how hard is it to max every S-Link on a second cycle without a guide? I figure not having to grind up my social stats will make it a lot easier. Should I still follow one or will I have more than enough time to figure it out on my own?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

DeathBySpoon posted:

Man, that ending. Just finished P3P again, on Hard for the first time. Going to do a NG+ run- how hard is it to max every S-Link on a second cycle without a guide? I figure not having to grind up my social stats will make it a lot easier. Should I still follow one or will I have more than enough time to figure it out on my own?

If you have maxed social stats and make sure to use a matching persona it's not too difficult to do.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Is the 3DS region locked? I might finally pick one up when SMT4 is released; I've been on the edge about buying one for a while, and all that furigana -- if the game ships with it -- will help me practice my neglected Japanese.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Heavy neutrino posted:

Is the 3DS region locked? I might finally pick one up when SMT4 is released; I've been on the edge about buying one for a while, and all that furigana -- if the game ships with it -- will help me practice my neglected Japanese.

Yes. For what it's worth though, Atlus hasn't missed localizing an SMT game since SMT: Nine (or whatever the Xbox one was).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

Sadly enough, the 3ds is region locked.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yep, it is, that's why I just bought a Japanese one. I doubt it will have furigana, every SMT game I have played has been in Japanese (save one - Strange Journey) and they have never had it. Really, it's a pretty rare feature in games these days, unless the publisher knows its a game pretty much ONLY kids will be playing.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Artix74 posted:

Yes. For what it's worth though, Atlus hasn't missed localizing an SMT game since SMT: Nine (or whatever the Xbox one was).

Too bad. By the time the game reaches North America, the 3DS ought to have dropped in price a bit, so I won't complain. Haven't all handhelds before it lacked region locking, though? I swear Nintendo has taken any goodwill I may have had for them since childhood and dragged it through miles and miles of asphalt.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Artix74 posted:

:eng101: You forgot about

(But that's ok, it wasn't very good)

And maybe this one, depending on who you ask:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TurnipFritter posted:

I still have hope this will come over.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

TurnipFritter posted:

:eng101: You forgot about

(But that's ok, it wasn't very good)

Two sub-par entries on a system long considered dead in NA, one of which also got a port to the 3DS (which we'll probably see)? Can't say I'm surprised by that. I forgot they even ported Eternal Punishment.

The first one is Soul Hackers, right?

E: I am dumb, first one is Devil Summoner. That is kind of curious that they didn't localize it, it couldn't be that much worse than P1P.

Artix fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 18, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Artix74 posted:

No, it's the first Devil Summoner, and that port came out in 2005.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Artix74 posted:

Nah, this is SMT: Devil Summoner, it came before that. The full title of Soul Hackers is Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers.

edit: it goes Devil Summoner -> Soul Hackers -> the Raidou games. Though the Kuzunoha clan seems to be involved in all three.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 18, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Is P2: EP on PSP really that bad?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I hope not because it's my favorite Persona game by far but hey at least I still have the original if they do gently caress it up.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The extra Tatsuya scenario tries to tie it in with P3, so yes. :v:

EP portable is better than IS portable, but that's not saying a whole lot. It still has inexplicably awful load times (but they're marginally better than ISPortable!), and the extra scenario has actual, like, cutscenes and stuff where the character sprites aren't just spazzing out in their idle animations the whole time.

Also you can change the menu colors to be like any of the previous Persona games: "Dissociative Identity Disorder" Silver, "Daddy Issues" Red, "Blow Your Brains Out" Blue, "Pull The Trigger" Pink, "No You're Not Me" Yellow and "Single Ladies In The City" Purple.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess that's neat? I dunno. I want Atlus USA to bring EP over here in some manner, but unless they bring it out as a digital download I don't see it happening since the PSP is practically dead in the west.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: it goes Devil Summoner -> Soul Hackers -> the Raidou games. Though the Kuzunoha clan seems to be involved in all three.
I didn't know until now that the PSP didn't have regional lockout for its games. I have the localized Devil Summoner games in my backlog. Do you consider it worthwhile for me to import the Japanese versions of the first two before I play the Raidou games? I could probably use the Japanese practice, but honestly, P2IS (EDIT: Fixed.) is the oldest Megami Tensei game that doesn't drive me up the loving wall.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I guess that's neat? I dunno. I want Atlus USA to bring EP over here in some manner, but unless they bring it out as a digital download I don't see it happening since the PSP is practically dead in the west.
I really hope they do, but I really don't think it looks good by this point.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CloseFriend posted:

I didn't know until now that the PSP didn't have regional lockout for its games. I have the localized Devil Summoner games in my backlog. Do you consider it worthwhile for me to import the Japanese versions of the first two before I play the Raidou games? I could probably use the Japanese practice, but honestly, P2EP is the oldest Megami Tensei game that doesn't drive me up the loving wall.
I've never played Devil Summoner, but I am really liking Soul Hackers on the 3DS. It has some annoying old-school elements but the main thing they did to modernize it was to make movement and combat REALLY snappy, so the pace doesn't get dragged down. That's a problem that plagues many older JRPGs.

edit: the 3DS version is fully voiced (except for demon interactions) so that should assist as well, compared to something like Strange Journey.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 18, 2012