Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

rio posted:

I guess they are competing with Leica in more ways than one.

Haha, that was what I thought. A couple years ago I bought an old Canon 35mm aux finder on eBay, cleaned the fungus out, and used it on my Bessa. Cost me like $25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
There's a Russian 35mm viewfinder that's not bad either. I think it's KMZ.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

whatever7 posted:

There is only one explanation: this camera was designed by the Sony P&S team.
Well it is under the Cybershot family :v:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

David Pratt posted:

You mean like this? ;)

Is there any Zeiss blue badge I an buy from China to put on a Voigtlander finder?

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
Went to Glazers the other day to grope the XPro1 and put a few snaps in-store on my SD card to take home and see how the images looked in LR compared to my recollection of how ABSOLUTELY DREAMY the X100 looked. Mind you, this was all designed to psyche myself up to pull the trigger on making a deposit on the XE1.

Long story short, I went to Kenmore Camera today with that very intent and somehow managed to come home with an XPro1 and the 35/1.4. A triumph of poor impulse control, if ever there was one.

gently caress this thing is fantastic, can't wait for the new FW on the 18th to make it that much better still.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

You know, I still haven't stopped in Kenmore Camera. Is it worth the drive from Sammamish? I love snooping in shops, but I hate 9.5% sales tax.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Bob Socko posted:

You know, I still haven't stopped in Kenmore Camera. Is it worth the drive from Sammamish? I love snooping in shops, but I hate 9.5% sales tax.

They're worth the trip, slightly different inventory than Glazer's, sometimes they have the stuff that Glazer's doesn't and vice-versa. Nice people and fair prices, plus a decent used section that seems to be replenished pretty frequently.

I hate the sales tax as well, but I'm trying to get my hobbies and my spending aligned with my politics and put my money back into local, smaller businesses as much as possible. It helps that Kenmore will do their best to meet/match web pricing. Case in point: my XPro 1 - they managed to price/part match me up to an Adorama bundle deal that I know the folks at Glazer's would have told me to GTFO if I even dared ask for. That was (almost) worth the sales tax hit alone.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

That's a fair point, Kenmore's economy needs my money more than New York City. I'll give them a shot next time they have something I need.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

New SLR magic lenses for Fuji, NEX and m4/3

quote:

The SLR Magic CINE 35mm T1.4 lens in mFT, X-mount and E-mount (MSRP: US $279) will be introduced for sale in December 2012. The SLR Magic HyperPrime 23mm F1.7 (MSRP: US $399) in mFT, X-mount and E-mount will be introduced for sale in February 2013.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Anmitzcuaca posted:

New SLR magic lenses for Fuji, NEX and m4/3

E: I think that owning the Sigma 30 2.8, this new 35mm 1.4 at its sub 300 price is going to make a lot more sense than dropping $450 on Sony's 35mm. As nice as it would be to have the image stabilization and AF, I could use the Sigma if I need AF, and the little speed bump of the SLRmagic is nice - mainly just depends on the performance of both lenses I guess. I wonder if this will impact the sales of the Sony lens, or if manually focusing is too big of a deal for average consumers (:smug:)

rio fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 15, 2012

nubdestoryer
Sep 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I bought a fuji X100 a month ago. I'm really liking it, the quality is great, and I especially like how well it performs at ISO1600. I havent touched my slr or dslr since buying it.

One thing that has confused me - the viewfinder realtime histogram. I often find that it doesn't correspond to the final image at all, when I take and review a shot the histogram will be completely different.

Also related to this, is there some way to change the colour of the exposure meter? It's white and light blue and not easy to see.

At the moment I find the best way to use the camera on manual is to just guess exposure settings, review the image after, and then adjust and retake if necessary. But it would be a lot easier if the camera had a more usable light meter or working realtime histogram.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Anmitzcuaca posted:

New SLR magic lenses for Fuji, NEX and m4/3[/b] The SLR Magic HyperPrime 23mm F1.7 (MSRP: US $399) in mFT

why would anyone buy this over the panny 20?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Augmented Dickey posted:

It's probably not that much harder to make a MFT mount version, so they might as well.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Augmented Dickey posted:

Video? It's manual focus, so it's probably better than a focus-by-wire lens.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Just when I was about to pull the trigger on the OM-D, Fuji comes up with X-E1 and now I don't know anymore. :negative:

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

keyframe posted:

Just when I was about to pull the trigger on the OM-D, Fuji comes up with X-E1 and now I don't know anymore. :negative:

No battle plan survives contact with Photokina.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Panny 42.5mm f/1.2 lens coming.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/17/panasonic-promises-42-5mm-f1-2-and-150mm-f1-8-lenses

Gurz
Sep 9, 2000
THE 12" DILDO IN MY ASS IS ONLY A PLACEHOLDER FOR PULSATING HOT COCKS

In 2014...

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

keyframe posted:

Forget all that pedestrian poo poo and buy the Leica M instead.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Not sure how to feel about this. Supposedly it will be well under $100.

I'm also pumped that the 60mm macro will be available for $499. I was expecting it to be quite a bit more pricey than that.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 18, 2012

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Augmented Dickey posted:

I think it's pretty cool and looks like a fun lens. I like it when companies put a crazy idea into production. It reminds me of those pricey Triplet Perar lenses that are made by one guy in Japan for Leica M mount.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I was set on getting a NEX 5R since the new AF system sounded pretty nice. Now that the 5n is only $400 and I could get a sigma 30 with cash to spare for the same price, I'm really considering the latter. Would it be stupid to get a 5R now?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

teraflame posted:

I was set on getting a NEX 5R since the new AF system sounded pretty nice. Now that the 5n is only $400 and I could get a sigma 30 with cash to spare for the same price, I'm really considering the latter. Would it be stupid to get a 5R now?

What kind of photography do you plan on doing? The 5N is still a damned good camera.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

HPL posted:

What kind of photography do you plan on doing? The 5N is still a damned good camera.

I like street photography, collecting references for paintings, and ultra-wide lenses (keeping a tokina 11-16, selling off the rest of my nikon gear). Mainly wanted to switch to a more compact kit for taking with me every day excluding ultra-wide usage.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

teraflame posted:

I like street photography, collecting references for paintings, and ultra-wide lenses (keeping a tokina 11-16, selling off the rest of my nikon gear). Mainly wanted to switch to a more compact kit for taking with me every day excluding ultra-wide usage.
The 5N should be fine then. Most of what you're doing doesn't involve quick focusing which supposedly would be the 5R's main advantage. In reasonable light the 5N has fairly snappy AF anyway and the sensor is solid up to ISO 6400.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Augmented Dickey posted:

I'm way down with this. I shot with the Nikon 35AF for years. I don't mind the fixed aperture but I wish it were at least f/5.6. Oh well, if it's really streets under a hundy I'll deal with it.

e: $50 :drat:

Startyde fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 18, 2012

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
By the way if anyone is using an e-mount -> nikon adapter can you give me advice on what to buy? I need aperture control for G lenses and brands like novoflex are absurdly priced. Can I get away with generic chinese made ones or some sort of middleground?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Startyde posted:

I'm way down with this. I shot with the Nikon 35AF for years. I don't mind the fixed aperture but I wish it were at least f/5.6. Oh well, if it's really streets under a hundy I'll deal with it.

e: $50 :drat:

I'm tempted to keep my m4/3 body just to play with that lens!

The 2.0 firmware for the Fuji X-pro 1 and lenses came out, as scheduled. After a quick try out, wow! AF is much snappier and MF works like it always should have. The write speeds to the memory card are supposed to be 2X faster but I can't really measure that since it was always pretty fast on class 10 cards for me. Still no focus peaking but you can quickly change between 3x and 10x zoom to help focus. Actually I got to use Sony's focus peaking and I really don't care for it. I feel like it distracts me from composing the shot or something. I guess I'd get used to it eventually. Back to the point, if this is how the XE-1 will operate, I see it as a real winner!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I just caved and bought the "meh" 17mm 2.8 for my E-P1 (yeah, yeah, I'm a poor, saving for an OM-D though) because I love the ~34-35mm focal length, two days before Olympus announces a 17mm 1.8 :smith:

It will probably be expensive though, and I got a great deal on the pancake from Keh so it's not all bad. It drops in six months, hopefully Adorama or someone will bundle it with an OM-D at a nice price.

EDIT: That 15mm body cap lens is brilliant. I'm preordering the hell out of it.

EDIT2: Since I haven't actually gotten my 17 2.8 in the mail yet and don't really lurk here, does anyone here have one? Is it as bad as the pixel peeping nerds say it is? I'm kind of worried I wasted my money, but since I only have the kit lens (the original 14-42 3.5-5.6) and haven't been spoiled with fancy lenses it's probably going to feel like a definite upgrade, right? RIGHT?!?

d0s fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 18, 2012

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
I really like the look of the 15mm lens too.

I can't find anywhere to preorder in the UK, has anyone else managed it?

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

XPro 1 peeps - Firmware 2.0 is out and makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE in performance pretty much across the board. If you haven't done the updates before, it's a 2 step/2 download process where you have to DL a separate update for your body and individual updates for each lens you have.

Here's a list of the improvements this FW brings:

1.Improvement of Auto Focus Performance
(1)Auto focusing speed has become much faster under a various shooting condition such as dark scenes, bright scenes and so on.
(2)The shortest focusing distance without switching to macro mode has become shorter.

2.Improvement of Manual Focus Performance
(1)The speed of images coming into focus when turning the focus ring has become faster.
(2)When adjusting the focus with the EVF or the LCD, displaying live view with the minimum depth of field in full aperture has made it easier to focus on subjects.
(3)In addition to the focus checking with the 10-time magnification function, the checking with "3-time" magnification function has been added.

3. Improvement of Writing and Processing Speed
(1)Writing speed to a memory card has become faster with the maximum speed doubled.
<Note> The speed may vary depending on card type and sizes of images.
(2)The waiting time of viewing image after shooting has become shorter.
(3)An image will be displayed approx. one second after pressing the playback button.

4.Other improvements
(1)The ISO setting of "Auto (6400)" has been added.
(2)When EVF or OVF is used, the indicator lamp will turn off because the lamp comes to just in front of your right eye if you see the finder with your left eye.
(3)When shooting in low light situation, a recorded image will look like more natural atmosphere you saw.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xpro1/index.html

lens firmware links are here:

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/#lens_firmware

Legitimate Pape
Sep 6, 2012

by T. Finninho
Amazon has the GF3 as the Gold Box Deal of the Day for $299 with the kit lens today. Looks like there are some lightning deals having to do with photo, too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

teraflame posted:

By the way if anyone is using an e-mount -> nikon adapter can you give me advice on what to buy? I need aperture control for G lenses and brands like novoflex are absurdly priced. Can I get away with generic chinese made ones or some sort of middleground?

The $50 Fotodiox adapter has an aperture control dial that supposedly works with G lenses, but you won't be able to see which aperture you're set to. It seems kind of pointless to me to keep Nikon AF lenses around if you don't have a Nikon body to use them on.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

d0s posted:

EDIT2: Since I haven't actually gotten my 17 2.8 in the mail yet and don't really lurk here, does anyone here have one? Is it as bad as the pixel peeping nerds say it is? I'm kind of worried I wasted my money, but since I only have the kit lens (the original 14-42 3.5-5.6) and haven't been spoiled with fancy lenses it's probably going to feel like a definite upgrade, right? RIGHT?!?

I got one included with my E-P2 and it is not a bad lens at all. Maybe it's a little softer in the corners wide open than something that costs twice as much but only pixel peeping nerds look into the corners of photos.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Hey guys, I know some of you were wishing for a NEX-7 that is ugly and even more expensive. Thankfully Hasselblad has answered your prayers.
http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/no-joke-hassleblad-announce-a-nex-7-alike-camera-for-5-000-euro/

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

RustedChrome posted:

Hey guys, I know some of you were wishing for a NEX-7 that is ugly and even more expensive.

I thought you meant a camera LIKE a NEX-7, as in similar size and an EVF...I didn't think you meant it actually IS a NEX-7 with a shell glued to the outside. Wow.

Speaking of retarded luxury camera brands, the newest Leica full frame rangefinder, the successor to the M9, which just be called the "Leica M" and all future generations will also be called...the "Leica M".

They actually admit that they are ripping off Apple deciding to call the iPad 3 just an iPad. They're doing it for similar reasons, I guess. Leica doesn't update the cameras very often, so they want you to just concentrate on it being a Leica, instead of the fact that it's missing lots of newer features after it has become out of date.

Also, Leica has a travel zoom bridge camera now. It will be a rebadged other brand like Panasonic or something I'm sure, but it's funny to watch them make the argument about Leica's reputable name, while re-badging bridge cameras and selling them for four times more money.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

Also, Leica has a travel zoom bridge camera now. It will be a rebadged other brand like Panasonic or something I'm sure, but it's funny to watch them make the argument about Leica's reputable name, while re-badging bridge cameras and selling them for four times more money.

They've been in a partnership like that with Panasonic for many years for bridge cameras and P&S. To be fair, it does have different firmware and menus. I'm sure that's worth the price difference alone.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

(At least in the past) the Leica P&S rebrands have also included a copy of Lightroom. That makes it a little more reasonable, if you don't already have it.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
http://www.optyczne.pl/5155-nowo%C5%9B%C4%87-Prototypowe_obiektywy_dla_systemu_Fujifilm_X.html

Photos of prototypes from Fuji's remaining 5 lenses from their XF mount roadmap:

XF 10–24 mm f/4 R LM OIS
XF 23 mm f/1.4 R
XF 27 mm f/2.8 R
XF 55–200 mm f/3.5–4.8 R LM OIS
XF 56 mm f/1.4 R

The 23 and 56 are larger than I would have thought but it isn't deal breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yeah I thought they would just modify the X100 lens design but it looks a lot bigger than that now.