Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

...:wtc:

Who the gently caress asks to see a character sheet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ErichZahn posted:

...:wtc:

Who the gently caress asks to see a character sheet?

You have to wonder what kinds of games this guy was playing in before all this.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Yawgmoth posted:

To this day he's still the only person I've seen make Chimerstry look underpowered.

what. I am trying to figure out how this can possibly be, and I cannot do this, please explain.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Punting posted:

what. I am trying to figure out how this can possibly be, and I cannot do this, please explain.
Well you see, when the only thing you use it for is to do bashing damage with the 5 dot power and then do stupid poo poo that trigger the disbelief clause almost immediately, it's easy to make it look worse than it is. Like for example, creating fire (that doesn't produce heat or light) is a great way for someone to call BS on your fire. Especially if you do it to someone's shirt. Or if you create an illusory briefcase, make sure that it can move like it should (i.e. open) and appear to have the things it's supposed to have in it before you go trading it away.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Worst. Ravnos. Ever.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's as sad as the Tzimisce that don't do anything but claws and armour plate. So much potential, and they only glimpse the surface of it.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Loomer posted:

It's as sad as the Tzimisce that don't do anything but claws and armour plate. So much potential, and they only glimpse the surface of it.

I love playing PC/NPC Tzimisce that actually explore the boundaries of what Vicissitude can do, as it usually terrifies everybody around them. They might expect some nasty body-fused ghouls, but what they won't expect is one of the portlier background NPCs exploding in a shower of gore as a frenzying zulo form Tzimsisce rapidly shifts back from their blood form while hiding in their body.

Really, you can do some unspeakably twisted/creative things just by using blood form as written.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

So I'm playing an OWOD character who was thrown into the NWOD to find that not only is his mommy The Wyrm not here.. but that everything is different aside from the fact things named Valkyrie hate him. The good news is, my demon was able to bring The Wyrm into this world!

The bad news? The demons of this world find his god disgusting, and he finds them godless and primitive- war is brewing.

My new goal for this game? Using claws, rip out someone's heart. Sends a good message.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

ErichZahn posted:

Was he trying to claim that Intimacies existed in Vampire?

The Vampire game I'm running right now (not right this minute but like, presently) uses Intimacies. It's not really the right sort of game to take full advantage of them though because it's a traveling nomads game rather than the 'build connections and deal with conflicts within a semi-persistent geography' type of game that the WoD treats as the baseline

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Punting posted:

Worst. Ravnos. Ever.
Yep. And later we found out the reason he went Ravnos in the first place was "I heard that Chimerstry was really powerful!" :saddowns:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Did he really use chimeristry to pull a "shirt's on fire now it's out" gag?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
It was more "I make his shirt look like it's on fire! wait what do you mean he's not fear frenzying? He shouldn't get to notice it's not real fire just because it doesn't produce light or heat!" Followed by being butthurt for the rest of the scene because somehow, he's not a combat god with tertiary physical stats and no combat disciplines.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh. Well that does seem slightly better. I don't see how you could have something look like fire without light though, isn't that all it is?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

moths posted:

Oh. Well that does seem slightly better. I don't see how you could have something look like fire without light though, isn't that all it is?

It's fire that you can't see in the dark. It just looks like fire.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

moths posted:

It's an image of fire. Basically the equivalent of a very good painting of fire. Now imagine the artist getting mad when you don't try to warm your hands on his painting.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah it was a weird thought exercise but I think I get it now.

He probably could have provoked a rotschrek, if he'd used it in a way that wasn't obviously false.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Everyone should start talking about Mekhets and all the awesome poo poo I can do with Auspex since I sank 3 dots into it.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are you a regular loser mekhet or a cool rear end hollow mekhet?

Also Auspex owns. It costs nothing for all three dots, and you can see invisible dudes, recognize diablerists and discern lies and emotions at a glance, see in darkness (you cant see in the dark without auspex 1 although no one plays with that rule), you can add your dots to basically anything so enjoy never being surprised and always succeeding at investigation, and you can see significant memories in objects or people, so you can tell who murdered a guy or whatever.

Also, and this applies to my art thief hollow mekhet, you can be super smug about art, telling everyone how much more you get out of it than they do

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Save up 20 xp and you can read minds. With auspex you can be a DM's nightmare.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

What book is Hollow Mekhet in?

Also I plan on outliving all the haters, gently caress direct confrontation. My background is done, my sheet is done and sent to my ST. I can't wait to play.

Hope I don't get torpor'd in the first five minutes.

The Wondersaurus
Jun 28, 2005
The Wondersaurus is probably extinct, like most dinosaurs

crime fighting hog posted:

What book is Hollow Mekhet in?

They're from the Mekhet clanbook, and are by far the best thing from the book.

In my opinion, Shadow Cults come in at number 2, even though I'm less than impressed with the ones given. Matter of taste, there.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is there a date for Mummy yet or is it just "when it happens?"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

moths posted:

He probably could have ___________, if he'd used it in a way that wasn't obviously false.
Hey look, you just described every single use of Chimerstry of his!

Everyone should start talking about Mekhets and all the awesome poo poo I can do with Auspex since I sank 3 dots into it.
You will always have the highest perception dice since you can add Auspex to every Wits+[Comp/skill] roll to notice a thing.

You will almost always know if someone is lying and how they really feel about anything because aura reading is seriously the best loving discipline ever. It also adds to your initiative if you have it active on one of the combatants-to-be in that scene.

You will also be able to know what went down in a place, how a thing was used, who used it last/most, and any recent/emotional events a person was involved in, because postcognition is amazing.

Basically you are the Information Guy. Auspex 4 is totally worth it, by the way. Auspex 5 can be really good, but it's one of those abilities you have to use with a little finesse.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Auspex 5 is begging to get possessed and turned into a ghost while some dick spirit runs around in ur body. If you are a hollow mekhet that becomes a certainty

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Also I plan on outliving all the haters, gently caress direct confrontation.

Pro tip: steal some grenades, get a high larceny score, turn invisible and leave parting gifts in the pockets of everyone you hate

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

What else should I look into merit and discipline wise? I've got 8 dice in my pool right now for stealth and wits is at 5 dots. I was thinking about maybe celerity so I can run the gently caress away. The boost to defense is nice but not being there is better.

poo poo, I forgot I sank two dots into contacts and haven't detailed them out yet. I guess I work with my ST on that.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

What else should I look into merit and discipline wise? I've got 8 dice in my pool right now for stealth and wits is at 5 dots. I was thinking about maybe celerity so I can run the gently caress away. The boost to defense is nice but not being there is better.

poo poo, I forgot I sank two dots into contacts and haven't detailed them out yet. I guess I work with my ST on that.

Protean is handy, if expensive. You don't have to worry about your haven getting trashed and someone really scary tries to fight you you can just turn into a bat or a cloud of mist and fly away

The best combat skill is being impossible to fight at all

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
/\/\/\ I don't gotta worry about my mekhet's haven being trashed because it's an invisible warehouse. Gonna get some contacts in the local police and end up enslaving a whole CCTV unit to my will so that all the video in the area goes to me and I can no longer be snuck up on by mortals

it depends. celerity is cool for speed and interrupting people. Obfuscate owns pretty hard, my guy always has some invisible stakes on him with only obfuscate 1. If you want contacts, you should join the carthians for the 1/2 price bonus. Invictus gets retainers. Both get havens iirc. There are some great coils of the dragon to invest in, and some really cool mekhet specific cults like the memory dudes and the setites. You got options.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Dammit Who? posted:

Pro tip: steal some grenades, get a high larceny score, turn invisible and leave parting gifts in the pockets of everyone you hate

Did I ever properly thank you for that?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Dammit Who? posted:

Ahhh, the Fallout approach to PVP.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I don't like Hollow Mekhet. Having a cool rival isn't a real weakness, your ghost's assumed constant interference should at least increase the XP cost of social merits or something.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ferrinus posted:

I don't like Hollow Mekhet. Having a cool rival isn't a real weakness, your ghost's assumed constant interference should at least increase the XP cost of social merits or something.

The primary weakness of the Hollow Mekhet is more that they can't use telephones and are walking Masquerade breaches anywhere that has a recording device nearby. Or a mirror.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Ferrinus posted:

The Hollow Mekhet weakness is twofold. One, they don't show up in mirrors, photos, cameras, or electronic media (including phones) at all, which means if someone is remotely aware of their surroundings you can suddenly be a huge masquerade threat in a big hurry. The hollow ghost, meanwhile, is explicitly out to ruin your reputation and make your unlife as miserable as possible. Its feeding habits mean you're also going to wake up to a rotting corpse in your room and the police banging on your door at least once if you live long enough. But yeah, it's a fluff-based weakness and those usually end up being pretty bad.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Mors Rattus posted:

The primary weakness of the Hollow Mekhet is more that they can't use telephones and are walking Masquerade breaches anywhere that has a recording device nearby. Or a mirror.

Super stealth isn't really a weakness. You can tell because you can literally spend willpower points to boost it to super mode.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

PLEASE CRITIQUE MY HOMEBREW.
Especially the grammar and verbage

pre:
The Wayfarers
NIckname:Tramps. Mercury(♀). Hermes(♂).
Primary Arcanum:Fate/Space
The War Between the States tore a lot of ground out from under people,
and left many wanting to go anywhere but here. Some, however, weren't
allowed to travel, and many were unable(or unwilling) to pay their way.
Children, cripples, consumptives, soldiers, and minorities of all
stripes rode the rails, risking life and limb to retreat, or to
reach their destination on time.  One of them was a Mastigos, known
as Rook.

Rook had been an artillerist, and an engineer as well. Awakening
after seeing the sun shine off a shot headed straight for his head,
the artillerist stopped the shell short, and though the crew had
lost their gun they were unscathed. Or so Thomas Teller thought,
til the ringing in his ears died down, leaving only silence.

[author's note:Thomas's Astral Journey started with him staring
down an oncoming train and ended with a prisoner escape.
Need to look up prominentprison escapes from the time.]

But the soldier took quite well to infirmity, using his newfound
gifts to great effect. Nobody so much as suspected that the young
man had been hurt, let alone crippled. And Thomas found quiet quite
liberating. if he needed to hear something, he could always borrow
someone's senses. Meanwhile, bombs missed their targets, bullets
veered off course, and casualties always seemed to stray short of death.

Thomas's fellow travellers thought themselves immortal, and It was no
surprise that some of them shook off their Sleep, leading lives
successful, filled with friends.

When the war ended, Thomas found himself headed home. He'd never really
liked the rails before, too much noise, too much time spent worrying
about breaks in the line. Eventually, he met a man called Razi, a
hospitable sort who always chose the cheap way to ride. The rest as
they say, is history.

First Attainment:
A Welcome Guest
Fate 2, Space 2, Gnosis 3.

A gift given must be repaid, and it does not do to bring misfortune to
one's friends. The Tramp says a prayer, makes a toast, or simply thanks
those present for their company, and they are warded against misfortune.
For one Scene, add the Tramp's Gnosis as a penalty against attempts to
track or harm the Tramp and his friends. At the end of the Scene, the
Tramp may tip his hat to the host, bestowing the effects of "Winds of
Chance" on all present for a single Mana. This effect is free If the Tramp
is the host, or if the toast is particularly clever. After all, Fate loves
a good turn of phrase.

Second Attainment:
We're All Friends Here
Space 4, Fate 3, (Prime 1), Gnosis 5

Tramps have ways to find their way. Simply putting one foot in front of
the other, the Tramp may find a friend, the local Consilum, or a place to
lay his head. This Merit has the same effect as the Ingratiating Wanderer
trait, save that it also serves to find mundane hospitality. If the player
already has that Merit, refund it's cost.
Optional Arcanum:
Fate is powered by traded favors, and if the Tramp spends to bless his
friends, they'll be warded 'gainst bitter ends. The penalty against
wrongdoing lasts all day, provided the Wayfarer paves the way.

Third Attainment:
Make Yourself At Home
Space 5, Fate 4, Gnosis 7

He who loves the road is often loved in turn. While the Tramp and
his companions are travelling, those who seek to do them harm find
it quite hard to find them. While the Tramp travels with a group,
subtract 5 dice from any hostile tracking attempt. This effect may
be turned off for a scene.

Oblations:Picking up hitch-hikers, telling stories, being a good host,
leaving signs for others, going on a road trip with one's pals.

Sidebar:
The Wayfarers are a Legacy with roots on the road. However, many
Wayfarers don't seem to travel all that far, and a few don't even leave
their town or city, save when they must. However, a Wayfarer cannot gain
the Legacy's Attainments without embarking on a significant journey. As a
final note, cremation is common amongst members of this Legacy, as are
requests to be buried far away from home, and many Wayfarers can be
depended to take Old Man Hermes on one last trip.
EDIT:Was Loomer hellbanned? I saw a post of his and then it disappeared.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 19, 2012

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
No, I'm still here. What post was that?

And more importantly... did it involve magicians?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

It was in the last post thing after I refreshed.

And yeah, it probably did.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
As far as mechanics, wouldn't you already be able to put a free -7 penalty on hostile tracking (and harming) attempts by the time you got the 3rd attainment? I think you should have the Welcome Guest effect be based on Space or Fate dots to keep it from getting too high and make it more in line with similar effects in other Legacies, and have a 3rd attainment with more oomph. Maybe the Tramp can declare their next destination and give them and their companions a bonus to reach that place safely and stealthily?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Thanks.

Now, for the Second Attainment, I'm thinking about replacing the Optional with something that involves the Hobo Code. Maybe give 'em a free or 1WP use of "Alter Resonance" every scene. Or maybe the ability to draw a OO or 'bo Texino that gives Willpower to a person of the Tramp's choice, or the first dude who understands what it means.

OO seems really appropriate for Mage.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Doesn't your first attainment amount to "Add your Gnosis to the Mage Armor of you and everyone else in your cabal"? I'd specify that the penalty doesn't stack with other magically-created penalties.

• Locked thread