Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Send all of this extra Breakfast Stout to Colorado if you slackers are just going to let it rot on the shelves :argh: I had it once last Christmas when I was traveling and it was outstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Just got a 120 Minute on draft for free tonight since it kicked the keg. Then I walked two stores down and, on a whim, stepped into a wine shop to see if they had any craft brews. Turns out they still had a 4-pack of Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout from last year, and it was $9.25. Also picked up an Apollo 'cus why not.

Today was a good day. :unsmith:

b c n u
May 9, 2004

"We've got rectal bleeding." "What, all of you?"

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Just got a 120 Minute on draft for free tonight since it kicked the keg. Then I walked two stores down and, on a whim, stepped into a wine shop to see if they had any craft brews. Turns out they still had a 4-pack of Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout from last year, and it was $9.25. Also picked up an Apollo 'cus why not.

Today was a good day. :unsmith:

Still can't decide how I feel about Apollo. Nice score on the BCS though.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

b c n u posted:

Still can't decide how I feel about Apollo. Nice score on the BCS though.

Apollo is super great, but as the summer dragged on it got less good as it got less fresh. Anyone see the next Sixpoint seasonal, Brownstone, on the shelf yet?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Jahoodie posted:

Apollo is super great, but as the summer dragged on it got less good as it got less fresh. Anyone see the next Sixpoint seasonal, Brownstone, on the shelf yet?

Agreed. The initial batches (aka the first .. several 4 packs I bought :radcat:) were awesome, but that feeling kinda faded through the summer. Brownstone shouldn't be an issue to find for you if you had easy access to Apollo.

e: Earlier we'd talked about service/snark from bartenders at craft beer bars. My friend (and the food critic for the Houston Press) threw together some observations including a note from her recent DC visit to Churchkey.
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2012/09/craft_beer_doesnt_sell_itself.php

air- fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 18, 2012

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Midorka posted:

I didn't pick up any herbal qualities in the beer, though I'm not familiar with cilantro, but there was nothing here that seemed new or off-putting in the beer.

funkybottoms posted:

i hate cilantro with a burning passion (it's like biting into aluminum foil for me) and couldn't taste it at all in this beer, which was a drinkable-but-unexciting mixture of cider and wit.

Last page, but thanks guys. Next time it's convenient I'll probably give it a try.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Jahoodie posted:

I've had a few Brownstones, though at a music fest while mildly buzzed already, but it seemed rather unremarkable, but easy to drink.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Midorka posted:

it seemed rather unremarkable, but easy to drink.

This is exactly what I think of Apollo, strangely enough.

Smokin
Aug 24, 2011
Recently turning 21 I just have started to realize how great the beer selection is where I live (Grand Rapids, MI) Got the breakfast stout at Founders lastnight, didn't think I could find something I liked more than New Holland's Ichabod. Any recommendations on what I should get next week?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Smokin posted:

Recently turning 21 I just have started to realize how great the beer selection is where I live (Grand Rapids, MI) Got the breakfast stout at Founders lastnight, didn't think I could find something I liked more than New Holland's Ichabod. Any recommendations on what I should get next week?

Oh the follies of youth!

Anything by Founders is good. Some of their stuff (Breakfast Stout, in particular) is really great. Staying in MI, Two Hearted by Bell's (and Bell's in general; Like Founders, they don't really do anything bad). Also, go here:

http://hopcatgr.com/

That'll learn ya'.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

The co-founders of BioWare left the company today and one of them apparently did so in order to drink a lot of beer or something. I'm way ahead of him! :woop:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Smokin posted:

i mean this in the nicest possible way, but... pretty much anything else in Michigan. anti-pumpkin bias aside, you're spoiled for choices up there.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I didn't know Uinta has an oaked imperial pumpkin beer...I had to pick one up along with a Dieu du Ciel Péché Mortel, a 6 pack of Goose Island's Nut Brown Ale :swoon:, and an Oude Tart. Pretty nice find on a rainy day after school.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Greg Zeschuk of BioWare posted:

Some of you will be curious what I’ll be doing next, and I can state that I’m not going to be working in games for a while, and there’s a strong possibility that I won’t be back. After my departure I’m going to be spending significant time with family and friends, as well as pursuing some personal passion-driven projects related to craft beer.

Must be a tough life.. leaving the video game industry for the craft beer industry. :sigh:

e: I know he said personal projects, BUT STILL!

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Sublimer posted:

Must be a tough life.. leaving the video game industry for the craft beer industry. :sigh:

e: I know he said personal projects, BUT STILL!

Not to mention enough money to not have to worry about what he plans to do next. "I don't know what I'm doing next, maybe something with craft beer? I dunno"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

RiggenBlaque posted:

Not to mention enough money to not have to worry about what he plans to do next. "I don't know what I'm doing next, maybe something with craft beer? I dunno"

Worked out well for at least one fabulously wealthy dude with nothing better to do. *cough Adam Firestone cough*

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
for you DC Metro goons:

Help the Quarry House Tavern get rid of its beer

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
And the first comment:

quote:

[...]
And is $4 for a freaking pint really considered a 'fire sale' there? Sheesh!

:rolleyes:

A pint of Sam Adams at Outback costs more than that.

e: \/\/\/ That's about what I figured.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 19, 2012

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Ah, the glory days of Monday $2 pint nights at the Addison Flying Saucer; it's how I cut my teeth on craft beer by literally trying one of everything. To be fair, most bars average like $8-10 for a pint of good craft beer in the DC metro area. Silver Spring is 45 min metro ride for me unfortunately :(

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

That was pretty much what I did at the Houston Saucer, back when it was literally the only place to get a good pint within 180 miles. I got my 2nd plate there even. Man have things changed since then. I still have some of the habits I adopted at that time, such as an unconditional love for the Breckenridge Brewery.

I can't believe those DC prices. If in part because OR doesn't have sales tax, it almost seems like $5 is the ceiling.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I can't believe those DC prices. If in part because OR doesn't have sales tax, it almost seems like $5 is the ceiling.

Chicago seems to be even higher than DC. For harder-to-find-than-normal craft stuff, we consistently see $8-$12 for 12 oz. pours. $6 for a pint of something like Sumpin' Sumpin' (year-round, lots of availability) is about as low as you'll see.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Meanwhile, in Colorado, they basically give alcohol away. Much to the dismay of my waistline and liver.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Oregon also has extremely low taxes on beer, which is a major contributor to both the number of breweries and the low cost.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

danbanana posted:

Chicago seems to be even higher than DC. For harder-to-find-than-normal craft stuff, we consistently see $8-$12 for 12 oz. pours. $6 for a pint of something like Sumpin' Sumpin' (year-round, lots of availability) is about as low as you'll see.

I heavily disagree. After living in DC for 2 years Chicago seems cheap. And there are way, WAY more places here with better nightly deals, like $2-$3 craft beers on Tuesday, etc.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Depending on where I go the beers can be anywhere from $3 to $8 for a pour of various sizes in New Jersey. One place has Dogfish Head pints for $3 every Friday while another place has $4 New Castle Summer Ale then $7 10 ounce Firestone Walker Double Jacks. I wish we had it cheap here.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ShaneB posted:

I heavily disagree. After living in DC for 2 years Chicago seems cheap. And there are way, WAY more places here with better nightly deals, like $2-$3 craft beers on Tuesday, etc.

Same here, though I never lived in DC. There's plenty of places that don't charge $6 for basic wide-availability craft. I usually see $5 crafts as the norm though $6 is not out of the question. The only beers I ever see break the $9 barrier at my normal haunts are super rare one-offs or sours.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 19, 2012

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
So we moved to Belgium, for school.

The whole lot together was under 20€. The 3F has been professionally cellared for 2 years.

Bar prices chat: a glass of dry hopped Saison Dupont or a hand pump pull of Boon oude gueze is 3.30€.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Arnold of Soissons posted:

So we moved to Belgium, for school.

The whole lot together was under 20€. The 3F has been professionally cellared for 2 years.

Bar prices chat: a glass of dry hopped Saison Dupont or a hand pump pull of Boon oude gueze is 3.30€.

You appear to be missing the infamous Cantillon.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

We're going to their event next month, so I'll have plenty then.

Shai Hulud
Feb 23, 2004

Didn't find a mention of this (other than Trot to Trotsky's namedrop of the brewery) via search and thought I'd share. Behold the greatest, or at least one of the better, beers you will ever try (assuming you live within their very limited distribution area):

Dragonmead Brewery's Final Absolution. With such a lovely label, you know it has to be good. Even their website is awesomely bad. Like, Geocities bad. I moved to SE Michigan from parts much farther south about a year ago and have been pleasantly surprised by the beer, but this place is in another league. I'll pop over to the exchange for sharing if people are interested.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I thought I was the only one who heard of Dragonmead ever, I got some last year at some shop in Ann Arbor while I was passing through. I can't remember much about it apart from being OK and, of course, the labels looking printed from a $50 HP jobbie. It very much paled compared to all the other top-name MI breweries I tried, though.

Also, why arent they Dragonbeer?

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

This Cantillon?

I poured that beer into a frosted mug and posted it on the Beer Advocate forums just so I could watch people poo poo bricks over it! Still tasted drat good. I'm going to Vancouver in October and plan on buying plenty more!

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Sublimer posted:

This Cantillon?

I poured that beer into a frosted mug and posted it on the Beer Advocate forums just so I could watch people poo poo bricks over it!

Hohoho, is this a thing? Because I have a lot of Dixie cups lying around.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Sublimer posted:

This Cantillon?

I poured that beer into a frosted mug and posted it on the Beer Advocate forums just so I could watch people poo poo bricks over it! Still tasted drat good. I'm going to Vancouver in October and plan on buying plenty more!

That is loving hilarious.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Hohoho, is this a thing? Because I have a lot of Dixie cups lying around.

Post pics of yourself in the bro-est getup you can find pounding Kate the Great from a funnel or ice luge or something

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/first-cantillon.39026/

That's a link to the thread if anyone is actually interested in reading it. My favorite is when user SmellsLikePoor says that not only is my mug frosted, but also dirty!

Years of being a goon have exposed me to so many subtle trolls that these BA fucks just can't handle.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I have a set of those mugs. Being able to drink from a full one with only one hand is a test of manliness.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This is awesome, you are awesome.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Its all part of the learning experience. I recoiled as well but from now on after the majority of the people here rail him he'll know to use different glasses for different beers. One way or another Advocacy will rear its head. -Shagtastic

That name is awesome, his comment is awesome (LOOK OUT FOR ADVOCACY!), and seriously: that name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Off topic, but i'm having my first Pliny the Elder on tap in about half a year, and it's great as always. Still my second fave DIPA after Hopslam.