Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

in java and intellij it p much is

yep.

select method, 'move method to superclass', pick which superclass, click ok.

select block of code, 'extract to method', choose which vars will be parameters to the function, click ok. it also finds any duplicate calls that you may have C&Ped and converts those sections to just call the new method.

idea loving owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i honestly cannot imagine why you'd write large-scale software without idea or something very much like it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

in java and eclipse it p much is

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

yep.

select block of code, 'extract to method', choose which vars will be parameters to the function, click ok. it also finds any duplicate calls that you may have C&Ped and converts those sections to just call the new method.

idea loving owns.

haha holy poo poo its like legos

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

rotor posted:

yep.

idea loving owns.

yes you can do this in xcode too

but serious refactoring will require serious work not just encapsulate menu command or push up/down

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah, except eclipse doesn't do it as well, as fast, or without crashing every now & then.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

what is this posted:

yes you can do this in xcode too

but serious refactoring will require serious work not just encapsulate menu command or push up/down

well yeah it's harder to introspect into c

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

yeah, except eclipse doesn't do it as well, as fast, or without crashing every now & then.

i think you're confusing intellij and eclipse. my eclipse is fast and never crashes.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"wahhhh im on eclipse 3.2 on a celeron and this is slowwwww.. whahhhh" - eclipse haters

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
to be fair, eclipse is REALLY bad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the only reason to use eclipse is if youre writing code for some lovely embedded system that leverages eclipse to build/deploy or if your too loving poor to get a real ide.

eclipse: the ide for paupers, open sores lunatics and firmware writers.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
eclipse is really fuckign awful an it's probably the piece of shaggars shtick that i just dont get

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
eclipse equinox (osgi stuff) is p good tho

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

eclipse is really fuckign awful an it's probably the piece of shaggars shtick that i just dont get

what about the lotus notes sperging

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
is the intellij demo different than the real intellij, b/c the demo was pretty bad.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

rotor posted:

the only reason to use eclipse is if youre writing code for some lovely embedded system that leverages eclipse to build/deploy or if your too loving poor to get a real ide.

eclipse: the ide for paupers, open sores lunatics and firmware writers.

like zero firmware writers use eclipse. nearly none of them.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Otto Skorzeny posted:

what do you use?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Otto Skorzeny posted:

yeah idk all i remember seeing was that TI released some dev thing that was eclipse based, iunno if it ever went anywhere or what

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

JawnV6 posted:

what do you use?

for pic, mplab

for freescale, codewarrior

for psoc, psoc creator

for production support and one-off stuff that i bang out in perl, gvim

i'm sure that the joke is on me and at least one of these is based on eclipse (which is probably why they're terrible)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i used to use codewarrior for palm pilot stuff. :sigh:

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

is eclipse still referring to itself as a platform instead of something useful?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sneaking Mission posted:

is eclipse still referring to itself as a platform instead of something useful?

What is Eclipse and the Eclipse Foundation?

Eclipse is a community for individuals and organizations who wish to collaborate on commercially-friendly open source software. Its projects are focused on building an open development platform comprised of extensible frameworks, tools and runtimes for building, deploying and managing software across the lifecycle. The Eclipse Foundation is a not-for-profit, member supported corporation that hosts the Eclipse projects and helps cultivate both an open source community and an ecosystem of complementary products and services.

hth

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

im the bert server

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

eclipse for albino perl developers, 1.9.2 cocoa edition

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

teh birts

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Eclipse for Ichthyophobic R Developers, 1.7.2, win64

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

:-O

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
"whoa" - johnny utah, point break

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

If you plan on modifying > 25% of your code there is no downside to just rewriting regarding bugs. refactoring is for non-cowboy babbies obv.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Otto Skorzeny posted:

for psoc, psoc creator

i'm so sorry you have to deal with this piece of poo poo

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Tiny Bug Child posted:

its generic b/c it isn't any different than any other shitware text editor. you can do less stuff in it than vim and a box that asks for money probably keeps popping up

lol

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
swt is poo poo hth

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
ps eclipse is basically a hand-me-down smalltalk ide

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
rcp looks and runs nice but swt is old as poo poo and crap. they need to replace it w/ xaml/mvvm

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
swt is one of the few cross-platform toolkits i've had to wrap to make it cross platform

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there are only 2 cases when java isnt cross platform
1) when you're using JNI.
2) when you're using a bad jvm.

swt uses jni to hook platform specific libs for native window elements. if you're on windows or osx or a standard linux then its gonna work fine every time.

if you have to go out of your way to use a nonstandard thing then you'll need to bring your own translation layer to hook swt to your nonstandard native libs.

pure java is always cross platform unless you do dumb poo poo like hardcode os specific paths or something.

that said, when i mean swt sucks i mean the API was designed for java 1.4.2 and hasnt changed since then. its terrible. theres a single class with about a hundred int constants that are unrelated. its so bad.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
unngggg... xaml is so good. gently caress all of you web "developers" for ruining UI development forever.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

there are only 2 cases when java isnt cross platform
1) when you're using JNI.
2) when you're using a bad jvm.

swt uses jni to hook platform specific libs for native window elements. if you're on windows or osx or a standard linux then its gonna work fine every time.

by cross platform I mean things like widgets working similarly enough across all platforms.

it's been a while, but I seem to recall the sliders being upside down on one platform, and tooltips that only displayed on the primary display on another.

quote:

that said, when i mean swt sucks i mean the API was designed for java 1.4.2 and hasnt changed since then. its terrible. theres a single class with about a hundred int constants that are unrelated. its so bad.

yep swt is terrible.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
being a java programmer is like being an alcoholic only there's a reason other than sheer incompetence that an alcoholic does things that only a brain damaged retard would do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
welp

X-BUM-RAIDER-X fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 18, 2012