Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I don't have any housing right now so all of my possessions are in my car, including my steel wheels (pictured, covered in a blanket so that it doesn't hurt anything) for the winter. When I got to work this morning I opened the trunk, took my boots out, and then closed the trunk GENTLY and the widow exploded.

I guess the wheel shifted during the drive or the bike rack slowly weakened the glass or SOMETHING. In retrospect I should have:

Not had the bike rack on the window.

Packed the car so that only soft things could possibly touch the window.

Double checked the contact with the wheel and the glass.

And/or

Closed the trunk even more gently.

But yeah, I'm a loving retard so I smashed my rear window and now I have to take my medicine and go back another month in progress. Christmas is going to suck this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

tuyop posted:

Yes, but my deductible is 1000 dollars. I called them.

:what:

After this, I suggest changing your deductible for your compherensive back down to $300. The only insurance you want to increase the deductible on is your collision because then at least it's your own drat fault.

Compherensive covers all of those "oh poo poo" moments that was well beyond your scope of control while not increasing your premiums at the same time. Although I was told by an ICBC insurance adjuster that if my car was stolen 3 times, they would raise the premiums but then again I told them to go gently caress themselves and give me the money.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

tuyop posted:

Yes, but my deductible is 1000 dollars. I called them.

In your case, with your history, it seems like a lower deductable may be in order.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I also have to change over to Ontario insurance in the next few weeks. I was going to say gently caress it and just keep new brunswick plates and everything, but my car is definitely suicidal at this point and I don't want to have my totaled car claim denied for whatever residency rules exist.

I'm sure that this is all going to be very expensive.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, you're basically going from the cheapest insurance in the country to the most expensive, so good luck with that.

Even those of us in BC have cheaper insurance, and the government decided that since they have a monopoly on insurance they can make SO MUCH MONEY by charging an arm and a leg, which is the opposite of the reason ICBC was started in the first place...

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

HookShot posted:

Yeah, you're basically going from the cheapest insurance in the country to the most expensive, so good luck with that.

Even those of us in BC have cheaper insurance, and the government decided that since they have a monopoly on insurance they can make SO MUCH MONEY by charging an arm and a leg, which is the opposite of the reason ICBC was started in the first place...

ICBC suck balls, we all know this.

It still doesn't change the fact that his compherensive insurance shouldn't be $1000. He's probably saving like what $10-15 a month on his payments?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

quaint bucket posted:

ICBC suck balls, we all know this.

It still doesn't change the fact that his compherensive insurance shouldn't be $1000. He's probably saving like what $10-15 a month on his payments?
ICBC does suck balls.

But yeah, you're right, his deductible shouldn't be 1k. I doubt it's even 10-15 a month on a $700 yearly, it's probably closer to $5 a month, which quite frankly is probably the best investment Tuyop could make.

Hear that Tuyop: pay for the LOWEST POSSIBLE DEDUCTIBLE when you get your Ontario insurance.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

tuyop posted:

I don't have any housing right now so all of my possessions are in my car,

Are you living in the woods like you said you would?

I thought that was supposed to save you money.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
This thread is great. I really like how in the beginning it was all "my job security is bulletproof", and now you're apparently homeless.

Yet it still takes a herculean effort to get you to listen to anything. So many posts resisting great advice for the car dent thing. Why anyone still tries to help you is beyond me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

Are you living in the woods like you said you would?

I thought that was supposed to save you money.

I'd classify it as couch surfing at this point. If I knew this was going to happen, I totally would have brought camping gear. Instead, I left that in storage and brought kitchen appliances. Very useful at this point!

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

I'd classify it as couch surfing at this point. If I knew this was going to happen, I totally would have brought camping gear. Instead, I left that in storage and brought kitchen appliances. Very useful at this point!

Did I just read that you are for all intents and purposes homeless, and for some reason you go out and buy kitchen appliances? Also, does "kitchen appliances" mean the same thing in Canada as the US? (i.e. a stove, refrigerator)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Did I just read that you are for all intents and purposes homeless, and for some reason you go out and buy kitchen appliances? Also, does "kitchen appliances" mean the same thing in Canada as the US? (i.e. a stove, refrigerator)

He said "brought" not "bought."

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Nocheez posted:

He said "brought" not "bought."

That is some small relief I guess.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Why are you homeless, Tuyop?

I mean, I know the general reason as it pertains to you doing the exact opposite of what sound financial advice would have you do, but what specific circumstances have managed to get you into a situation where you don't actually live in a house anymore?

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Means the same thing but I'm sure he meant microwave, toaster, coffeemaker...

At least I hope that's what it is.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I have a steamer and a dehydrator and some pots and pans. Not an oven or anything.

quote:

Why are you homeless?

Well the situation is kind of complicated:

I was posted to Borden for 10 September. I went on leave 25 August.

So from 25 August to 10 September I was "traveling". I packed everything
up in New Brunswick and moved it into storage with my parents in Nova
Scotia. Then I came back and grabbed all the stuff I would need until
Christmas and put it in my car. Then I drove up a week early because
ToeShoes had to get back to work. I just stayed with a friend in
Toronto.

The original plan was to arrive a week early, find an apartment, and
then continue as usual. But when I got here, the clerks told me that my
movement claim (an order and bonus that you get for moving bases) was
the wrong form. While they were digging up the correct form, they
discovered that I'm actually entitled to free rations and quarters (so
free food and accommodations for the next 364 days) plus Temporary Duty
(TD) allowance (17.30 per day, tax free). If I signed a lease I would be
forfeiting this entitlement. It's way too sweet of a deal for me to pass
up, so I waited.

The only problem is that Borden isn't paying for it. Gagetown (where I'm
coming from) didn't know that I had this entitlement, so they had to
redo all the paperwork and figure out who was paying for it. As of
yesterday, the chief clerk in Gagetown told me that all they have to do
is go through the larger housing authority for CTC (Combat Training
Center) to get a financial code. They're waiting on an email from that
authority. It's now 3 PM there and I haven't heard from the clerk today.

So I've been commuting from Toronto and a friend in a town nearby until
yesterday when I broke my windshield. Now it's raining and my car is in
the shop and I just have the stuff in my biking pack. All my clothes
that are not a uniform are soaked and I have nowhere to stay.

So it goes, I guess!

Edit: sorry for the formatting. I emailed it to myself from work so now it looks like some weird poetry format for some reason.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 18, 2012

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Find a motel with weekly rates you dumbass.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Inept posted:

If he can stay on a friend's couch for free that is obviously better than getting a week at a motel.

Although I think the army ought to be compensating him for a motel room because what the gently caress, but given all the previous incidents of breathtaking incompetence and bureaucracy, maybe that's just asking too much.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Tuyop the jinxed trait is usually for gimmick playthroughs

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Inept posted:

See, I thought about that and even getting temporary quarters for 13.50 per day.

But then I realized that I could save 13.50 per day by biking and hitching rides to friend's places and staying on their couches.

I really thought you guys would approve. Isn't that the most financially prudent thing? Choosing the free accommodations over the cheap ones? I mean, that's why I'm in this situation at all. I don't WANT to live in quarters, I could just rent a place and live like a normal human, but I'll probably get to live in quarters for free in the next few days.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Are you out of your mind? I guess that is a rhetorical question.

Don't ever make a decision again based on whether I or anyone would approve. The whole point should be you taking advice and counsel from a number of sources, this thread being one of those sources. Once you have gathered information, then you make a decision based on what is good for you.

I can't believe that $13.50/day solves this problem. That is $400/mo. Most of us who don't live with our parents pay more than that. You are living in your car with the broken glass with rain pouring in. You didn't choose free accommodations over cheap ones. You chose no accommodations over cheap ones. At the core, necessities of life include food, water, shelter and clothing. This applies to you too.

Badger Pudding
Jan 11, 2007

My naturally quivering state makes any display of fear deliciously arbitrary.
Being homeless when you have the option to not be homeless for not really that much money doesn't really seem to make sense... I don't think anyone is really going to judge you for wanting to live inside.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You guys have really lovely reading comprehension.

Tuyop is not living in his car! He's storing some of his possessions in his car while he stays with friends on their couches. If he's welcome, and not straining those relationships, then there's no need for him to get a motel.

That said, $13.50 a day is less than you'd pay to stay at a youth hostel. It's a pretty good deal.

e.

tuyop posted:

So I've been commuting from Toronto and a friend in a town nearby until
yesterday when I broke my windshield. Now it's raining and my car is in
the shop and I just have the stuff in my biking pack. All my clothes
that are not a uniform are soaked and I have nowhere to stay.

Unless this literally means "I have nowhere to sleep tonight" and not, as I interpreted it, "I have nowhere to sit right now while they work on my car, which will be done in a few hours after which I'll drive to my friends' house."

But as helpless as Tuyop often seems to be, I have a hard time believing he's literally living in his car (which is in the shop) instead of spending $13.50.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 19, 2012

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Why isn't this thread in E/N or some poo poo? This is literally the only thread in BFC that is about one guy.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

El_Elegante posted:

Tuyop the jinxed trait is usually for gimmick playthroughs

Hahhaha

Troika - they closed the paranormal forum otherwise this would fit well there.

:v: "Hey folks, I tried to get a glass of water last night and fell out an open window onto the hood of my car, trashing it completely. I dunno if I can afford to fix it this time. Welp, just my bad luck I guess."

:aaa: HOW DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

-Troika- posted:

Why isn't this thread in E/N or some poo poo? This is literally the only thread in BFC that is about one guy.
It's just following in the fine footsteps of the Zaurg and Cornholio threads. Except instead of his problem being football tickets or hesitating on selling the mini, it's ruining every form of transport he touches.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Haifisch posted:

It's just following in the fine footsteps of the Zaurg and Cornholio threads. Except instead of his problem being football tickets or hesitating on selling the mini, it's ruining every form of transport he touches.

I like those threads the most of this sub-forum.

If you give advice and it helps someone to turn around their life, you get a little warm glow inside.

If you (and multiple others) give advice, it gets ignored and the situation gets worse, no matter what goes wrong with your life, you can say 'at least I'm not that dumb'.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ive been thinking of purchasing a used motor home as well. A class B van one with washroom and kitchen is like 25k. Then I would never need to pay rent again!

Edit: and the problem is that any day now I'll get news about my situation and have a real address so I can't tell anyone where I'm going to be staying until like 3pm that day.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 19, 2012

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

tuyop posted:

Ive been thinking of purchasing a used motor home as well. A class B van one with washroom and kitchen is like 25k. Then I would never need to pay rent again!

You realize if you did this it would catch on fire, burn to nothing, then the brakes would fail and drag itself and your car into the nearest body of water right?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

Edit: and the problem is that any day now I'll get news about my situation and have a real address so I can't tell anyone where I'm going to be staying until like 3pm that day.

Even class B motorhomes cost a good bit in upkeep, especially with your track record regarding transportation. And you really don't need to get in debt for another $25k right now, even if you're living in it. Plus, yes, you would have to pay rent. You'd have to pay lot rent wherever you parked it unless you have really awesome people that are going to let you use their electric/gas/sewer for all your needs. I think you're in Manitoba now? Glancing at http://www.campingmanitoba.com/camping-rates.html 30 consecutive nights is $800. On top of the payment for a motorhome, surely you can find a better place to rent no matter where you end up.

Unless you're kidding. I hope you're kidding. I'm surprised that they aren't willing to put you up in the base hotel considering this is a giant paperwork error, or that there's not some sort of repayment policy for having to stay at the hotel (there is for us). Unless there is and I misunderstood and for some reason you're choosing to couch surf rather than just be out the minimal fee and get it repaid in full? If it's all out of pocket, that's pretty lovely. :(

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Even class B motorhomes cost a good bit in upkeep, especially with your track record regarding transportation. And you really don't need to get in debt for another $25k right now, even if you're living in it. Plus, yes, you would have to pay rent. You'd have to pay lot rent wherever you parked it unless you have really awesome people that are going to let you use their electric/gas/sewer for all your needs. I think you're in Manitoba now? Glancing at http://www.campingmanitoba.com/camping-rates.html 30 consecutive nights is $800. On top of the payment for a motorhome, surely you can find a better place to rent no matter where you end up.

Unless you're kidding. I hope you're kidding. I'm surprised that they aren't willing to put you up in the base hotel considering this is a giant paperwork error, or that there's not some sort of repayment policy for having to stay at the hotel (there is for us). Unless there is and I misunderstood and for some reason you're choosing to couch surf rather than just be out the minimal fee and get it repaid in full? If it's all out of pocket, that's pretty lovely. :(

I'm thinking of the motor home for the next three or four years. It's just an idea at this point.

The reason I'm trying to keep my out of pocket to a minimum is that I can't count on even the most simple administrative consistency from the military. When they sent me up here they told me it was a basic 800 dollar movement claim, then they told me I was getting nothing, now they're telling me (and the references support) that I'm getting free rations and quarters and almost 7k. It's hosed. gently caress them, I'll make my own way (for as close to free as possible) until they get it straight.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

tuyop posted:

I'm thinking of the motor home for the next three or four years. It's just an idea at this point.

The reason I'm trying to keep my out of pocket to a minimum is that I can't count on even the most simple administrative consistency from the military. When they sent me up here they told me it was a basic 800 dollar movement claim, then they told me I was getting nothing, now they're telling me (and the references support) that I'm getting free rations and quarters and almost 7k. It's hosed. gently caress them, I'll make my own way (for as close to free as possible) until they get it straight.

The reason I said that you should rent a motel is for the sake of convenience and your own sanity. It seems like this ordeal is getting to you, and having your own temporary living space while you wait out the administrative bullshit would probably go a long way toward making you feel better, and you'd have somewhere to put some of your junk and not have wet clothes.

For $13.50 a day, get the living quarters, you sound like you're going crazy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I am going a little crazy.

Also, today I did my taxes from 2011. I don't know why I didn't do them earlier, like, on time. I thought I was getting 61 dollars back.

Turns out I probably owe 550. Plus late fees I guess.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Shine on you crazy diamond

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

tuyop posted:

I am going a little crazy.

Also, today I did my taxes from 2011. I don't know why I didn't do them earlier, like, on time. I thought I was getting 61 dollars back.

Turns out I probably owe 550. Plus late fees I guess.
:allears: So when is the baby due?

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
how the hell did you earn a commission in my army?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pixelboy posted:

how the hell did you earn a commission in my army?

I'm actually pretty good at my job. I'm just very unlucky in my personal life.

Oh, and I make bad decisions outside of work pretty regularly, like not doing my taxes.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Part of being an officer is having your poo poo together and not making bad personal decisions though. I'm pretty sure "do as I say, not as I do" is not a command-sponsored message in any branch of any military.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Geizkragen posted:

Part of being an officer is having your poo poo together and not making bad personal decisions though. I'm pretty sure "do as I say, not as I do" is not a command-sponsored message in any branch of any military.

Well I don't think we really need to get into it, but read what actually happened to me. The taxes are my fault but aren't a big deal, but this loving accommodations debacle has nothing to do with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Geizkragen posted:

Haha, ok. I don't know about you but quite a few military personnel that I know are Bad At Life but excellent at their job.

It's mind boggling what Tuyop is experiencing at the moment right now but I doubt that's an accurate reflection in his work life which we don't know anything about.

• Locked thread