Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!

Skizzles posted:

Speaking of terrible poo poo Nat Geo unleashes upon the world...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ihXq_WwiWM&feature=share

He didn't see it coming, guys.

On top of everything awful about this video clip ... why the hell would the NatGeo marketing department think "Yup, let's show this clip of Cesar getting bitten, that will sure show our audience how awesome this guy is :downs:" :psyduck:

adventure in the sandbox posted:

I think I am officially a Crazy Dog Lady. I wanna get this:

(from Siberian Art Jewelry)
I wear lots of quirky jewelry, no one would bat an eye.

and this:

(from Pooch Tags)
Keychain!

Edit: the Pooch Tags lady does totally custom ones for the same price. Definitely getting one of those soon :3:

I already bought these over vacation:

:ohdear: it is too late for me, no going back now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

RurouNNy posted:

On top of everything awful about this video clip ... why the hell would the NatGeo marketing department think "Yup, let's show this clip of Cesar getting bitten, that will sure show our audience how awesome this guy is :downs:" :psyduck:

Because it shows that he is a BIG STRONG MAN who does MANLY things and has TESTOSTERONE and STRENGTH and DOMINANCE. Don't you wish you were as MANLY and STRONG as Cesar Milan??? I know I do.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Pew! Pew! posted:

Can I apply this to all animals? I obviously need to be the alpha of my rats. Especially the older girl with cataracts, she'll just bite for no reason.

e: wanna see him alpha roll a cat

Alpha rolling?

Alpha rolling.

ALPHA ROLLED :black101:

Chido fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 17, 2012

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

RurouNNy posted:

Besides the usual everyone-loves-a-trainwreck deal, I have the feeling that at some unconscious level, fans of Cesar find it reassuring to see him get bitten from time to time--because that means he is dealing with Bad Dogs, so his methods must be justified. Never mind that he creates the situation in the first place.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
For once the comments on the video are all completely disgusted and upset by the contents. NatGeo, it's gotten bad when youtube commentors are actually sane in comparison to what you're putting out.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Chido posted:

ALPHA ROLLING :black101:

ALPHA ROLLED

pictured: submission

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

(Not my rat) alpha roll.

Er yeah that works.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Pew! Pew! posted:

(Not my rat) alpha roll.

Er yeah that works.

That rat just looks happy to be eating upside down. He's never done it before and drat it all if he isn't going to enjoy it.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

adventure in the sandbox posted:

I think I am officially a Crazy Dog Lady. I wanna get this:

(from Siberian Art Jewelry)
I wear lots of quirky jewelry, no one would bat an eye.

I want it. :ohdear:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
This morning at my work, a woman that I know brought her boxer by, to meet my rescue boxer, Devo. Unfortunately the other boxer went nuts and attacked Devo and I ended up lifting her out of the way via her harness, while trying to fend off the other dog. Devo got some small scrapes on her chest and one on her belly but was otherwise unscathed and didn't even attempt to retaliate (she just looked surprised and confused,) and within 3 minutes of leaving the scene she was lying down and snoring on my foot.

Then a woman from a nearby office came by to ask me to keep down the noise and watch my dog, because she owned two dogs who fought so much.. That she had to have one of them put down last week (you see, she couldn't bear to try training or rehoming, and instead just kept leaving the dogs alone at home until one was too badly hurt to live without huge medical fees,) and it was so very distressing to hear other people's dogs fighting. :psyduck:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 17, 2012

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
My dog: the paradox.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

coyo7e posted:

Then a woman from a nearby office came by to ask me to keep down the noise and watch my dog, because she owned two dogs who fought so much.. That she had to have one of them put down last week (you see, she couldn't bear to try training or rehoming, and instead just kept leaving the dogs alone at home until one was too badly hurt to live without huge medical fees,) and it was so very distressing to hear other people's dogs fighting. :psyduck:

:smith: Sadly I don't think that's uncommon. One of my dogs was involved in a dog killing that happened kind of the same way (in a previous home, not with me). They had 4 dogs and 3 of them killed the 4th. Somehow my dog got the blame for it and was going to be killed, but a member of the family stepped in and talked them into giving him to me instead. There were several smaller incidences of fighting that led to vet bills, but no effort was made to understand or manage the behavior until the one dog died, and then it was only "shoot the troublemaker." And to add a sad little cherry to this story, that dog has never shown dog aggression in the 8 or so years I've had him. He would have been killed for nothing.

I used to have a client who shot 3 of her dogs because they dragged a neighbor's dog under the fence and killed it. The neighbor's dog was a little toy poodle-type, and her dogs were all medium to large, and she let them run the fenceline endlessly with this little dog. I saw it on several occasions when I was over there working and commented on it, because I saw it as a recipe for trouble--her dogs seemed a little too aggressive and I didn't think they saw it as another dog so much as a fast-moving squeaky toy. But she ignored it until the poor little poodle was dragged under the fence and killed, and then killed her own dogs because she couldn't bear to live with them after that. No I am not joking and this is the reason she is a former client. It is actually the reason I stopped working with her, I couldn't believe she'd do that.

I have other stories too. It pisses me off when people punish dogs for being dogs, or let their animals suffer when all they'd have to do is some easy management changes. I mean, why couldn't the dogs be shut in separate rooms or crated while the owners were out in any of these stories? No loving reason except laziness and stupidity.

Gah, sorry for the rant. It's a bit of a sore spot for me.

On the other hand this made me smile. :3:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

2tomorrow posted:

But she ignored it until the poor little poodle was dragged under the fence and killed, and then killed her own dogs because she couldn't bear to live with them after that. No I am not joking and this is the reason she is a former client. It is actually the reason I stopped working with her, I couldn't believe she'd do that.

I have other stories too. It pisses me off when people punish dogs for being dogs, or let their animals suffer when all they'd have to do is some easy management changes. I mean, why couldn't the dogs be shut in separate rooms or crated while the owners were out in any of these stories? No loving reason except laziness and stupidity.
I grew up "country" and have personally shot and killed more than a couple dozen feral cats (and probably one or two housecats with no collars,) to protect our chickens and rabbits and the local pheasant population, and to help out elderly folks whose property was overrun with strays. I've butchered and cleaned and eaten far more animal than I could care to count and I'm very much of the "WHAT!? You paid TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS for your EIGHTEEN YEAR OLD CAT to have cancer surgery?" ways of animal handling.

When I was in middle school though, my labrador (around 6 months to 10 months at the time,) got into the chicken coop and killed a bird. I scolded her and knocked ehr on the nose with the carcass a few times and then my grandpa came by to visit a couple weeks alter, and mentioned offhand, "once a dog gets the taste of blood they'll never stop, ya gotta kill 'em." :psyduck:

Grandpa never found out that my dog had killed one of our birds (and she never chased or killed ANY bird of ANY type after I scolded her, although moles and rats and cats were still fair game.) I also changed my views on killing animals (although I still helped some elderly folks deal with the cat problem they had, years later.. It was like a scene from a horror movie, and the cats were all huge and frighteningly vicious if people tried to get near them.)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

2tomorrow posted:

I used to have a client who shot 3 of her dogs because they dragged a neighbor's dog under the fence and killed it. The neighbor's dog was a little toy poodle-type, and her dogs were all medium to large, and she let them run the fenceline endlessly with this little dog. I saw it on several occasions when I was over there working and commented on it, because I saw it as a recipe for trouble--her dogs seemed a little too aggressive and I didn't think they saw it as another dog so much as a fast-moving squeaky toy. But she ignored it until the poor little poodle was dragged under the fence and killed, and then killed her own dogs because she couldn't bear to live with them after that. No I am not joking and this is the reason she is a former client. It is actually the reason I stopped working with her, I couldn't believe she'd do that.

I don't loving get why this is so common. I could understand someone just thinking "well, if it will kill a dog/cat/leaf then it can't be trusted around people!!" out of ignorance, but I so often see people who are genuinely troubled by the idea of their dog killing another animal and can't handle it on an emotional level. It is a dog. It was created to chase and bite and shake things. Why is this difficult and why does it abhor people? If my dog shakes something it shouldn't I feel bad for the thing that got crunched, but I have absolutely no anger/outrage/upset towards my dog because I know that it is a dog and I don't expect it to magically know the difference between a poodle and a rat. Because...it is a dog. :psyduck:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

I don't loving get why this is so common. I could understand someone just thinking "well, if it will kill a dog/cat/leaf then it can't be trusted around people!!" out of ignorance, but I so often see people who are genuinely troubled by the idea of their dog killing another animal and can't handle it on an emotional level. It is a dog. It was created to chase and bite and shake things. Why is this difficult and why does it abhor people? If my dog shakes something it shouldn't I feel bad for the thing that got crunched, but I have absolutely no anger/outrage/upset towards my dog because I know that it is a dog and I don't expect it to magically know the difference between a poodle and a rat. Because...it is a dog. :psyduck:

Because we are taught when we are very small that we do not burn ants with a magnifying glass, killing is wrong, how dare a predator kill a thing. This is also why people can't handle killing their own meat on a very wide scale. It isn't necessarily a bad thing most of the time, but killing your dog because it's being a predator is dumb. It's like deciding to feed your obligate carnivore pet a vegetarian diet because you're a vegetarian/vegan. Your morals don't apply to your pets, don't apply them to your pets, in this case, when the dog doesn't know it's not supposed to react.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 18, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

2tomorrow posted:

One of Major's previous owners (he was adopted out twice before I got him) returned him after a whopping 2 days because they totally ignored the rescue's instructions on how to introduce him to their dog. They figured it was a great idea to toss the dogs some pig ears, shut them in the basement together and then just leave. Shockingly two unfamiliar dogs given high value resources got in a fight. They didn't know who started it and the other dog wasn't hurt but clearly Major was a Bad Dog and the rescue needed to come get him immediately.

The other family that adopted him first decided after a week that he was too big and shed too much. I'm just glad he end up with me before getting bounced around any more. I'm crazy about that frecklemonster :3:

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Superconsndar posted:

It's the origin of the Good Dog/Bad Dog divide. If we admit that dogs are complex predators with natural instincts, then maybe we have a responsibility to manage and train them, and, gasp, maybe treat them like more than a cute, animated stuffed toy we can set aside when we get busy/tired/bored. Far, far, far easier to just dismiss dogs that act outside our preconceived box as Bad Dogs, who do Bad Things a Good Dog would never do. Then, morally, we're absolved of the responsibility we should have been taking on by forcing a creature with its own instincts and natural tendencies into a role that it is often ill-suited for.

If the moral outrage/dispair is less than absolute, then that lady would have had to face her guilt at being an idiot rather than project it onto the dogs. Worse, she would have had to put in some effort into understanding and managing her dogs' (natural) behavior. Oh noes.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

I was just coming here to post this after a friend posted it on my Facebook. I had to stop reading it three times because I was laughing too hard and then, at the end, I got kind of sad and misty eyed. Dogs are awesome.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Because we are taught when we are very small that we do not burn ants with a magnifying glass, killing is wrong, how dare a predator kill a thing. This is also why people can't handle killing their own meat on a very wide scale. It isn't necessarily a bad thing most of the time, but killing your dog because it's being a predator is dumb. It's like deciding to feed your obligate carnivore pet a vegetarian diet because you're a vegetarian/vegan. Your morals don't apply to your pets, don't apply them to your pets, in this case, when the dog doesn't know it's not supposed to react.

100% agree. People have a huge disconnect between reality and their sheltered lives in regards to how meat becomes meat - for humans or for pets. I had a friend bring her b/f from Hong Kong out to the family farm...and he had no clue that beef came from cattle. None. I don't know what he thought it came from, but he had no idea. He thought our neighbours had a LOT of pet cows :P

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Siochain posted:

100% agree. People have a huge disconnect between reality and their sheltered lives in regards to how meat becomes meat - for humans or for pets. I had a friend bring her b/f from Hong Kong out to the family farm...and he had no clue that beef came from cattle. None. I don't know what he thought it came from, but he had no idea. He thought our neighbours had a LOT of pet cows :P

I am trying really hard not to just post 1000 ":gonk:'s" as a reply because holy poo poo.

Edit: At some point during their development, all humans who have not already done so should be forced to raise, care for, slaughter, and butcher A Food. If you are too big of a baby to kill a food, you must then either adopt a vegan lifestyle or be forced into solitude through the shaming of your peers. :colbert:

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 18, 2012

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Awww! I love theoatmeal so much. My coffeeshop has a big print they bought from that site of the History of Coffee and it always makes me smile to look at it not because I love that particular one so much (though it's not bad) but because it reminds me of their awesome cat-related strips. And now they have a truly awesome dog-related one! Excellent. Anyone who hasn't read ALL their cat-strips should.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

:sigh:

Someone on my local fb buy/sell pets group posted about wanting a Jack Russell/Patterdale/Whippet/mixed breed puppy, and how they would provide a good home because they have kids or something.

I suggested looking in rescues and that a JRT or Patterdale would probably not suit them as they tend to be nippy (spergy dog stuff doesn't work on facebook, everyone just gets confused) and got some fantastic responses.

Person #1: 'I've had jack russells with all my children and grand children and had no problems, as have friends of mine, wish people would stop giving them bad press, all dogs are trainable and it is up to the owners to ensure they are trained properly' (six likes)

Person #1 part 2: ' Just too many people who have dogs and don't train them, having a dog that may have nipped does not give anyone the right to advise anyone else on dogs unless of course you are well experienced in the breed and the training of dogs.... nothing to do with high horse, just a lot more experience is all'

Person #2: ' I agree with [person 1], both my jack russells have been fantastic with kids, had one before maisie (my youngest daughter) was born who we sadly lost this year (she worked as a pat dog with children who were scared of dogs), got another now, maisie is only 5. I also have a patterdale who is brilliant with her but wouldn't recomend them for someone unused to dogs as they are pretty heedless and hard to train. I would also go for a pup with children as you never know what has happened to a rescue dog unfortunately and this does affect their behaviour. Be lucky to pick one up for £60 though, £100-£150+ more realistic (more for a patterdale) x'

Person #3: 'If ur dog is a nipper n isnt good with children/ppl or other dogs then they aint trained properly. GOOD OWNERS HAVE GOOD DOGS......SIMPLE!!!'

:downs:

Good owners have good dogs, guys!!!!

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

Skizzles posted:

I'll have to tell my vet friend about that show. :allears:

So here is my first attempt at a martingale and it didn't suck, hooray.

Just wondering what you guys would do if a dog of yours bit somebody like that, even if the person *was* being a clueless idiot at the time?

I know that with careful training many biters can be rehabilitated, but personally I don't think I'd be able to go through with that, even with a behaviourist on board. Like, a warning snap or even nip I could handle, because the clueless idiot basically deserved it, but if I saw my dog actually latch on and lacerate like that, I don't honestly think I'd be confident in living with the dog any more :/.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Fraction posted:

The issue here being that good dogs = dogs that act like cats or furniture. Ugghhh that bothers me so much. You were just trying to help out. :(

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Fraction posted:

Person #3: 'If ur dog is a nipper n isnt good with children/ppl or other dogs then they aint trained properly. GOOD OWNERS HAVE GOOD DOGS......SIMPLE!!!'

The amount of people who believe this is sad. When we were arguing about my cat and his dog not getting along perfectly, I asked my boyfriend if he thought a dog that didn't like other dogs was just a bad dog. You know, as opposed to having its own limitations that you need to work around. He basically believes that dogs that aren't good with other dogs are bad dogs not worth having. Nevermind that they can't help the way they are and if they are kept properly it won't ever be a big issue, but animals that can't get along like it's some kind of ~magical peaceful world where everything gets along~ are bad animals. :downs: It's annoying because he's a really intelligent person, and if he can't even have rational thoughts on the subject and acknowledge that animal behaviors are really more complex than that and vary between individuals, there's really no hope for the general population.

By the way, my cat is bad and I should be punishing him when he lashes out at the dog in fear (complete with terror pissing). Also, the dog is crated during the day when no one is home, why can't the cat be locked in the bathroom with his dishes and litterbox? So much :downs:, boyfriend.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

notsoape posted:

Just wondering what you guys would do if a dog of yours bit somebody like that, even if the person *was* being a clueless idiot at the time?

I know that with careful training many biters can be rehabilitated, but personally I don't think I'd be able to go through with that, even with a behaviourist on board. Like, a warning snap or even nip I could handle, because the clueless idiot basically deserved it, but if I saw my dog actually latch on and lacerate like that, I don't honestly think I'd be confident in living with the dog any more :/.

I would euthanize a pit bull for that bite, period. Even if it was TOTALLY the fault of an idiot, as it obviously was in that scenario. A single warning nip with no/few recurrences would make me neuter that dog and then work on it, but that specific kind of bite, with a dog that kept coming (even out of fear, like that dog) I would euth.

If it was just about anything else it would really depend on the circumstances for me. Personally, I would not deal with an HA dog, just because I don't want to. I'm not fearful of them, it's more of a "unless it is specifically a protection breed operating correctly in the correct context, HA is the opposite of "dog" to me and I don't want to deal with some rear end in a top hat bitey dog." Different people have different preferences and dealbreakers though, so if someone wants to deal with an HA dog that's fine with me, as long as they know what they're doing and keep it from hurting anyone.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

I would euthanize a pit bull for that bite, period. Even if it was TOTALLY the fault of an idiot, as it obviously was in that scenario. A single warning nip with no/few recurrences would make me neuter that dog and then work on it, but that specific kind of bite, with a dog that kept coming (even out of fear, like that dog) I would euth.

If it was just about anything else it would really depend on the circumstances for me. Personally, I would not deal with an HA dog, just because I don't want to. I'm not fearful of them, it's more of a "unless it is specifically a protection breed operating correctly in the correct context, HA is the opposite of "dog" to me and I don't want to deal with some rear end in a top hat bitey dog." Different people have different preferences and dealbreakers though, so if someone wants to deal with an HA dog that's fine with me, as long as they know what they're doing and keep it from hurting anyone.

I think it would depend on the size of the dog, for me. A chi or a smaller dog isn't going to seriously harm anyone with a bite and I'd be okay with getting them a behaviorist/ trainer to work with them.

A dog Bailey's size or larger, I would probably have a health check done (especially if the bite seemed sudden or out of character) and then baring any serious health issues, dependent upon the severity of the bite (a nip would be okay)I would probably euth the dog. A dog that size could do serious damage and hurt someone badly and I don't know that I would trust them or a behaviorist to completely remove the behavior.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Superconsndar posted:

I am trying really hard not to just post 1000 ":gonk:'s" as a reply because holy poo poo.

Edit: At some point during their development, all humans who have not already done so should be forced to raise, care for, slaughter, and butcher A Food. If you are too big of a baby to kill a food, you must then either adopt a vegan lifestyle or be forced into solitude through the shaming of your peers. :colbert:

Seriously, growing up on a farm, I know all this stuff. I hunted, I fished, I slaughtered and butchered my own meat and I grew a garden. Then I get off the farm, move into a big city in an agricultural area - and I meet people who don't get it. Then I make friends on the internet and go visit people in "real" cities...and I get scared. My family grows potatoes, and we have 5 potato sheds. Each is roughly 150-200 feet long, 75 feet wide and we stack the potatoes 30 feet high. We are a small farm. But they can not grasp how that many potatoes can exist, let alone 5 sheds, let alone that we are small. People have no clue.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Mickey is getting his nuts chopped off!! I'm so happy about this. We head to the vet's in 15 minutes. When my dad asked me if I was available to drop the little rat off for his appointment, I just about did the happy dance. Now to just keep getting the kids to take him outside in a timely manner and I think we can actually have a chance with this dog!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

When I was about 13 I got nailed by a dog we'd just gotten. She completely ripped my thumb open and I superglued it shut and lied that I'd accidentally torn myself open with an exacto knife. She was food aggressive, stranger aggressive, leash reactive, water reactive (she flipped out near a hose), you couldn't touch her face, paws, neck, stomach or tail, and she was just barely house trained. She was an absolute wreck, but I couldn't stomach the idea of giving her back to the people who'd let her get that bad or euthing her because she'd been owned by idiots.

Five more bites and six months later, she was awesome. She'd give you her paws when you asked, you could ruffle up her head, check her teeth, play with her tail, run the hose over her paws, play with her while she ate, perfect on a leash and flawlessly house trained. We'd go run out on a 30 ft leash and she'd chase rabbits out of the woods and leave them on command, jump things when I asked, came everytime she was called, etc. I probably could have left her off leash, but we lived between two very busy roads and I couldn't imagine losing her to something like that. She never much cared for strangers though, regardless of what I did, so we didn't let her get into those kinds of situations.

Still, she was an awesome dog. She's the one that died to cancer last year at 13. :smith: She was my good girl.

So I've lived with relatively dangerous dogs before and it didn't really bother me. I just worked and worked with her until she was better. I imagine I'd probably do the same with nearly any other dog.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

notsoape posted:

My dog has bit someone, not to that extent but still he snapped at my grandma's face and scraped her lip. He was having a terrible weekend and withdrawing off of psych meds and fireworks were going off and she grabbed his face while I was trying to get her away and him to safety but I wasn't fast enough. I was absolutely devastated but he's not a different dog than he was before he bit. He was just finally pushed to the point where he felt that was the only option which is something that could happen to any dog.

To me it really depends on the situation behind the bite and getting help from a professional (that isn't a dog whisperer). Major could go his whole life never biting again because he isn't put into a situation like that again. That resource guarding dog might be ok if it only guards the bowl with food in it and can be managed while training but not if goes after someone while guarding crumbs in the kitchen. I think I mentioned on here a rottie my trainer tried to help who resource guarded paper to the point of not letting people in the room if she found a napkin. She ended up needing to being euthed and that was definitely the best thing for her and her family.

I guess I live some place where lots of people have dogs who will bite you if you go on their property and it's generally accepted though. In the city where you need to walk your dog places where it's going to come into contact with children and other dogs and all sorts of people I would be a lot faster to euth for something like that. Out here you're lucky if people keep their aggressive dogs contained on their property and most people just go for walks with bats or guns if they go down the street.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

wtftastic posted:

I think it would depend on the size of the dog, for me. A chi or a smaller dog isn't going to seriously harm anyone with a bite and I'd be okay with getting them a behaviorist/ trainer to work with them.

A small dog can do a surprising amount of damage. I have a permanent scar from a dog who weighs less than fifteen pounds and didn't actually bite me on purpose, just kind of jumped up and smacked his teeth into me.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

notsoape posted:

I can't say for sure since I know I may feel differently if it actually happened to me. But if it were Shadow, I would not euth him. Such a bite would be extremely out of character for him. I would probably do a vet check and carefully monitor any interactions anyone had with him in the future. And of course I'd work on it if there is any lasting issue, but I'd be pretty confident it could be overcome. I completely agree with Instant Jellyfish, though. It just really depends for me, but I can completely understand being uncomfortable with a dog who had landed such a bite.

edit: on a completely unrelated note, I'm sitting around at the courthouse on jury duty (for those unaware, jury duty is like 90% waiting around doing nothing) browsing the internet, and hoping no one walks by and sees PENIS LAND on my laptop

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 18, 2012

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

If one of my dogs bit someone, and I liked the dog enough, I would work with it. Honestly it's a jerk thing to say, but I would have to be extremely emotionally invested in the dog to be willing to put the time and effort into training and management for the rest of the dog's life. If it was a dog who I simply tolerated, no, I would not be willing to spend the blood, sweat and tears on it.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
If somebody pushed my hypothetical dog to the point of a bite like Cesar did then I would chalk it up as idiocy on the part of the person pushing through the obvious signals that the dog was giving off. I mean personally I would've stepped in before that happened, but my family has always had the attitude of "Oh the dog bit you? Well maybe you shouldn't have been messing with it." going all the way back to my uncle getting chomped by the family ridgeback for teasing him with food when he was a little kid.

Personally I don't have kids and don't really care for off-leash dog parks, so a fearful or aggressive dog like that wouldn't be a huge problem for me. I'd probably end up working on it with a pro if it ended up being a big deal beyond some rear end in a top hat pushing and pushing the dog past its breaking point, but sometimes it's necessary to recognize that people get hosed up for being stupid around animals and a dog is an animal.

demozthenes fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 18, 2012

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Skizzles posted:

I can't say for sure since I know I may feel differently if it actually happened to me. But if it were Shadow, I would not euth him. Such a bite would be extremely out of character for him. I would probably do a vet check and carefully monitor any interactions anyone had with him in the future. And of course I'd work on it if there is any lasting issue, but I'd be pretty confident it could be overcome. I completely agree with Instant Jellyfish, though. It just really depends for me, but I can completely understand being uncomfortable with a dog who had landed such a bite.

edit: on a completely unrelated note, I'm sitting around at the courthouse on jury duty (for those unaware, jury duty is like 90% waiting around doing nothing) browsing the internet, and hoping no one walks by and sees PENIS LAND on my laptop

Yeah, I've been bitten by Bailey when I (and I didn't know better at the time) put him into an extremely stressful situation where he was over threshold for a long time and he nipped me on the leg. Considering that I'd only had him for a month or two at the time and that the bite happened because I wasn't aware of how badly he was scared, that was on me and I never considered euthing him or returning him to the shelter over it. Given his size and strength, it could have been a bad bite, but it was very very mild and I only have a small mark from it.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
It would really depend on the circumstances for me too. I would work with a fear biter, even if they had done some damage to someone. I don't have a problem managing fearful dogs though, I do it with Bandit already (he never actually bit but he snapped at people often and I have no doubt he would have attacked if they'd pushed him much farther). Or the all-too-common scenario of the idiot who lets their kid surprise or hurt the family dog and the dog bites the kid, I wouldn't put that dog down.

I don't think there is room for a dog that is straight-up human aggressive though. The police dog trainer I worked with a few weeks ago talked about a few of those that he'd run across, where they were well-bred and raised well and just didn't give a gently caress about biting people. I've never come across one of those, but if I did I would put it down.

But a life less makes a good point, I wouldn't work with just any dog. I think you also have to look at the dog, if it's just terrified of the world and not really open to rehabilitation, you have to ask if it might be kinder to the dog to put it down. There are too many dogs in the US anyway, so I question the wisdom of going to extraordinary lengths for an animal you aren't attached to. Even Bandit I was about 50/50 on taking, what pushed me over the edge was the fact that he is from great working lines and that I was 90% sure that most of his problems came from a lack of exercise and poor management (and fortunately was right). Then by the time I realized that his snapping was deeper-rooted than that, I was already pretty attached and it's not hard for me to keep him out of situations which scare him.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

When I was about 13 I got nailed by a dog we'd just gotten. She completely ripped my thumb open and I superglued it shut and lied that I'd accidentally torn myself open with an exacto knife.

Haha I totally lied to protect my family dog as a kid too. In his case it wasn't a recurring problem, he just got a little over-excited while we were playing and I didn't know how to present his toy well, so he latched onto my arm instead of the tug. But he was a massive Lab (he was around 80 pounds when he was fit, never seen one as big as him before) so it did some damage and I told my parents I just fell off my bike onto a fence because I didn't want him to get in trouble. As an adult I realized they wouldn't have gotten mad at him but oh well.

And even as an adult I lied when George jumped up and knocked out a couple of my teeth right after I'd gotten him, I told everyone a horse did it because for some reason no one thinks horses are bad when they do things like that and I didn't want them to think I should get rid of him. He was just really excited to see me.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
:gonk:

The vet called. Mickey's blood work came back off the charts. They're delaying the neuter and running a liver function test and they'll call us back with the results. And he's got serious dental issues. Like, pull the teeth now so he doesn't puncture the roof of his mouth, serious. Now I feel all sorts of bad for him.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Pew! Pew! posted:

The issue here being that good dogs = dogs that act like cats or furniture. Ugghhh that bothers me so much. You were just trying to help out. :(

After the first 'lol you have a bad dog' comment I've basically resorted to eye rolling and laughing at them. The whole argument has devolved into 'blame the owner, not the breed!' which I get behind but... this is not the place for that. A JRT or patterdale (especially patterdales) is bred to want to bite things when they get excited. That, plus a household with children, CAN be a recipe for disaster. But no I am a bad dog owner with a bad, biting, evil dog :downs:

Serella posted:

The amount of people who believe this is sad. When we were arguing about my cat and his dog not getting along perfectly, I asked my boyfriend if he thought a dog that didn't like other dogs was just a bad dog. You know, as opposed to having its own limitations that you need to work around. He basically believes that dogs that aren't good with other dogs are bad dogs not worth having. Nevermind that they can't help the way they are and if they are kept properly it won't ever be a big issue, but animals that can't get along like it's some kind of ~magical peaceful world where everything gets along~ are bad animals. :downs:

I don't understand the whole 'if your dog is not a perfect couch potato that gets along with everyone and everything, it is a Bad Dog' thing. My dogs have issues but that sure as poo poo doesn't make me a Bad Owner, and it doesn't make my dogs Bad Dogs. It just makes them dogs that have issues that we are working on!

FYI guys this facebook argument has made my afternoon :allears:

Me: 'if a dog has issues then its from been mis treated in the past.'

Nope!

guys there is a time and place for BLAME THE OWNER NOT THE DOG. This is not it, hope that helps.

Person #3: LOL All dogs can be good regardless of its breed! so yes owners are to blame!! jog on sophie u dont hav a clue!!

Me: lmao yes because if a terrier gets excited and nips a thing, that means it's a BAD DOGGGGG! I'm not even saying that there are breeds that are bad, I'm just saying that different breeds naturally are inclined to do different things and for some dogs, that means that their first reaction to an exciting event is to bite. For some dogs, it means herd. For some, retrieve.

:allears:

I wonder what she'd say if she knew I had a STAFFIE and a reactive terrier and they both want to eat things. Probably that I'm a terrible, bad dog owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Haha I got some of that poo poo because George has a really strong prey drive and I won't trust him around small stock like chickens or goats or calves unless I'm really closely supervising, and then only because he has an excellent "leave it" and recall. I got so many people saying he was a Bad Dog, and a few others saying I was a Bad Owner because Good Dogs don't have those tendencies and even if they don't, Good Owners can just train it out of them, you know? :v:

Suddenly now that George is a search dog and a strong prey drive is one of the qualities they look for in a candidate for this training, no one thinks he's a Bad Dog or I'm a Bad Owner. Most people think we're both really awesome now, in fact. George hasn't changed and I haven't changed, but suddenly it's okay that he can't be left alone in a yard where there are loose chickens because he is a search dog and that puts him firmly in the Good Dog category.

• Locked thread