Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Somehow I cannot help but imagine that those nondescript blackish lumps that Takamura has on the plate there on the cover are just huge logs of poo. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kypdjk
Jul 22, 2007

His personality is so magnetic he is unable to carry credit cards. He once had an awkward moment just to see how it feels. He is the most interesting man in the world.

DrSunshine posted:

Somehow I cannot help but imagine that those nondescript blackish lumps that Takamura has on the plate there on the cover are just huge logs of poo. :gonk:

Ha, guess I'm not the only one.

Also, Morikawa, it's about loving time!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

How am I still excited? I really don't understand it but I AM SO HYPE!

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
FINALLY a great chapter indeed

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Burn, Itagaki

Also, woo, time to go Global

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Finally! It only took 20 years!

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
As much as I dislike Itagaki, his father is always awesome.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Wasn't Ippo on the world stage to begin with? What about crazy banana boy and the magical glove dude?

KoB
May 1, 2009

KittenofDoom posted:

Wasn't Ippo on the world stage to begin with? What about crazy banana boy and the magical glove dude?

That was the OPBF, not the world.

e: I think.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

KittenofDoom posted:

Pretty sure it aint if his coach told him if he's ready to take on the world.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
Yeah, those were the OPBF regional champions or something. Ippo was fighting them to become the unofficial OPBF champion for a reason I don't really remember anymore. I think it had something to do with Miyata, but the last few months, maybe years, are a haze of title defenses and hating Morikawa.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I think I'll just keep following the thread and wait for the inevitable ki blast panel to surface.

It'll really just be the air from the punches you see.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 981 is out.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Dammit, Huzzah! I was ready to post that! :argh:

Mr. Deathy posted:

Basically, oh hey it's that plot development we've been waiting a decade for.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
drat, I was sort of hoping that they'd bring Sendo back in since he has experience fighting against Mexican boxers, but a Vorg/Martinez fight seems pretty awesome too (though with a predictable ultimate outcome).

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
http://pbfcomics.com/167/

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm still somehow excited. This loving manga!!

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

"You've been fighting a lot of fighters with strange gimmicks recently."

Did the author just wake up one day and become really self aware?

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.

onepixeljumpman posted:

"You've been fighting a lot of fighters with strange gimmicks recently."

Did the author just wake up one day and become really self aware?

I thought it was the most deliberate flag that will end up being an even crappier cover-up of the poo poo-awful suspension when the coach thinking "Yeah f8** j0 gimmick muh homeboy be ready" and that one line will instantly redeem 40 chapters.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

The Holy Queef posted:

I thought it was the most deliberate flag that will end up being an even crappier cover-up of the poo poo-awful suspension when the coach thinking "Yeah f8** j0 gimmick muh homeboy be ready" and that one line will instantly redeem 40 chapters.

This is the most difficult to parse sentence I've ever come across, and I've seen the real Rosetta Stone

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time

Centzon Totochtin posted:

drat, I was sort of hoping that they'd bring Sendo back in since he has experience fighting against Mexican boxers, but a Vorg/Martinez fight seems pretty awesome too (though with a predictable ultimate outcome).

Vorg won't be fighting Martinez, Martinez is feather weight (like Ippo) and Vorg moved up to Junior Light

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Oh right, good point. Good to see him moving up anyway!

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

gently caress everything else, I wanna see that fight happening RIGHT NOW. I hope they do a time skip and just go straight to the Junior Light match into the Featherweight match.

Seabreeze
Aug 13, 2011
Holy poo poo, something exciting is actually happening.

Although...is it just me or does Gonzo look loving bland, artwise? Maybe I'm too used to gimmicks but at least the guy should LOOK unique, right?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Seabreeze posted:

Holy poo poo, something exciting is actually happening.

Although...is it just me or does Gonzo look loving bland, artwise? Maybe I'm too used to gimmicks but at least the guy should LOOK unique, right?
He's probably going to be a switch boxer. We haven't had those yet, have we?

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

ilifinicus posted:

He's probably going to be a switch boxer. We haven't had those yet, have we?

Switch as in switches between orthodox and southpaw? If so, Randy Boy Jr. If just flat out southpaw, RBJ + that dude who got annihilated by Sendo prior to Ippo winning the title.

So does this also finally mean Ippo has relinquished the Japanese title? I see a godmode Japanese title fight in our future if so.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Tourettes Echinda posted:

So does this also finally mean Ippo has relinquished the Japanese title? I see a godmode Japanese title fight in our future if so.

If so, I hope Itagaki has to fight Sendo and gets destroyed, showing that he can never beat a powerful in-fighter like Ippo and he just stews in jealousy even longer. But he is Itagaki so he'll just beat anyone.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

If so, I hope Itagaki has to fight Sendo and gets destroyed, showing that he can never beat a powerful in-fighter like Ippo and he just stews in jealousy even longer. But he is Itagaki so he'll just beat anyone.

Except Ippo, of course.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Except Ippo, of course.

But not until the last 30 seconds of the 10th round.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Tourettes Echinda posted:

Switch as in switches between orthodox and southpaw? If so, Randy Boy Jr. If just flat out southpaw, RBJ + that dude who got annihilated by Sendo prior to Ippo winning the title.

Switch boxer as in stepping between stances to do double one-twos and such things. Stuff like from RRR.

vvvv that has to be so far back that I can't remember because Woli

ilifinicus fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 13, 2012

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

ilifinicus posted:

Switch boxer as in stepping between stances to do double one-twos and such things. Stuff like from RRR.

Randy Boy did that

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Does anyone have that list of other boxing manga someone posted in here? I need something to read and kill time with.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I don't know whats on that list but here's what to read.

Zero by Matsumoto Taiyou.
Goshima is a boxer who has held the world championship title for years and never once lost a match - thus earning himself the nickname 'Zero'. His coach, Araki, describes him as 'a flower that blooms only within the ring'. But with his 30th birthday approaching, everyone begins to question Goshima's worth. Thus he decides to look for the ultimate opponent to give him his final match.
It's only 22 chapters long and super loving good like everything else by Matsumoto.

RRR
27 year old rocker becomes a boxer due to circumstances.
About 100 chapters long and a great boxing drama.

Boys on the Run
It's by Hanazawa Kengo(I am a Hero and Ressentiment) so it's a lot more than just boxing. Still a great manga. It's still being translated though.

And of course the granddaddy of them all Ashita no Joe.
Joe Yabuki is a young man living in the slums of Tokyo. But, one day he meets Danpei Tange, a former boxer, who discovers his potential in boxing and tries to make him into a champion. Due to petty crimes, Joe is sent to a juvenile prison. There Joe mets Toru Rikiishi, a promising boxer, who knocked him out with one blow when he attempted to escape prison. Slowly but surely, Joe realizes his own potential. Joe begins his boxing life, step by step, with only one goal in mind... To Defeat Toru Rikiishi !!
It's about halfway translated but it's still the gold standard of boxing manga.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KidDynamite posted:

Does anyone have that list of other boxing manga someone posted in here? I need something to read and kill time with.

If you don't mind it being MMA instead of boxing I can add two more:

Teppuu
Has a great main character that is just plain unlikable. Also does a real good job of actually explaining the moves and different styles used. Only problem with the series is that it's bi-monthly and the scans are pretty far behind as well.

All Rounder Meguru
Basic "boy wants to become stronger" story but it has some very well done fights.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I've read all of these, gently caress!

Anyone remember the one with a girl teaching an upper class smart kid how to box. I never finished that one.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

KidDynamite posted:

I've read all of these, gently caress!

Anyone remember the one with a girl teaching an upper class smart kid how to box. I never finished that one.

You mean Buyuden?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yes thank you!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So did all the translation groups drop Ippo or something? It's up to 990 in raws.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The fact that anyone reads this steamer anymore is an accomplishment, to say nothing of actually having to read translate, edit and layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

It is bad but it does have a lot of fans