Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Radio update for the GNex is incredible, been on 4G solidly for a day now with 0 issues, no dropped radio/data connections or anything. I feel like I can use 4G now! (Probably still won't so my battery lasts an entire day though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah I'm hoping it's as good as the early reports say it is. I've been through two refurbs and one brand-new replacement that all drop cell and data signal at least a couple times an hour. The data drops are annoying but the missed and dropped calls are really unacceptable and I've been inching closer to going to Verizon and demanding a different device altogether.

Thanks for the quick response, LastInLine. Flashed the radios without issue.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm running CM10 nightlies on a GSM Nexus. Is there a compelling reason to check out other ROMs such as Codename or am I on pretty much the best one?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I finally broke down and installed the latest MeanROM on my Evo 3D. By default, it uses an older kernel to maintain compatibility with older hboots, but the latest ICS kernel is included as a flashable zip, I believe. What I can't figure out is what the pros and cons are between the two. Obviously I'll have to update my hboot to use the new kernel (I'm S-OFF, so that shouldn't be a problem), but is there any compelling reason to do this?

Possibly related, Chrome is glitchy as gently caress right now, and I'm reading that it amounts to a graphics driver problem. Would upgrading the kernel do anything for this?

Finally, a while back I heard that there was a "fix" for the ICS multitasking issues that HTC introduced. In my quick searching, I've found some potential fixes for the One X, but I can't tell if the same ones apply to the Evo 3D or not. Or if the issues are even the same for the Evo 3D. Anybody know?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I hate being such a coward about my phone. Today, with a touch, I flashed a new radio and became all that is an Android owner. I'll let you guys know how the 4.1.1 radios treat my VZW GNex if people are still on the fence.

Who knows, maybe tomorrow I'll grow a pair, backup, wipe, and go to CM10. Which reminds me, the stuff in /sd/ is preserved between wipes, right?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WebDO posted:

I hate being such a coward about my phone. Today, with a touch, I flashed a new radio and became all that is an Android owner. I'll let you guys know how the 4.1.1 radios treat my VZW GNex if people are still on the fence.

Who knows, maybe tomorrow I'll grow a pair, backup, wipe, and go to CM10. Which reminds me, the stuff in /sd/ is preserved between wipes, right?
Yes, internal storage is untouched, as is the radio, recovery, and bootloader.

reL
May 20, 2007
I ran CM7 on my evo for the last year or so, until I picked up the SIII. I've been running CM10 since the 8-10 build or so, haven't bothered going back to TW. It's fantastic and super smooth. Most issues I've seen people report on xda I've managed to avoid, save for a few builds where MMS wasn't working. Currently I'm only experiencing two problems, one being SMS >160 chars fails to send and the second are some SD card issues.

Everything else is running fine, and it's far more responsive than TW. I highly recommend it. If you're wary of issues just wait for the first release candidate and go from there. It won't disappoint.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Alright I've looked around and it seems like FH05 is the latest radio for the Sprint GNex. Are these out yet or not?

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 18, 2012

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

brc64 posted:

I finally broke down and installed the latest MeanROM on my Evo 3D. By default, it uses an older kernel to maintain compatibility with older hboots, but the latest ICS kernel is included as a flashable zip, I believe. What I can't figure out is what the pros and cons are between the two. Obviously I'll have to update my hboot to use the new kernel (I'm S-OFF, so that shouldn't be a problem), but is there any compelling reason to do this?

Possibly related, Chrome is glitchy as gently caress right now, and I'm reading that it amounts to a graphics driver problem. Would upgrading the kernel do anything for this?

Finally, a while back I heard that there was a "fix" for the ICS multitasking issues that HTC introduced. In my quick searching, I've found some potential fixes for the One X, but I can't tell if the same ones apply to the Evo 3D or not. Or if the issues are even the same for the Evo 3D. Anybody know?

You're better of on the leaked VM kernel to keep ASOP compatibility. The new official one just bootloops on non-sense based roms and doesn't offer anything new. Also, I think the multitasking issues are a problem only with sense 4.x.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 18, 2012

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Syrinxx posted:

I'm running CM10 nightlies on a GSM Nexus. Is there a compelling reason to check out other ROMs such as Codename or am I on pretty much the best one?

I tried CM10 monthly for the GSM GNEx for a little bit and the amount of customization in a ROM just blows me away. Great music player and equalizer but I had issues with bluetooth working and sometimes hitting certain settings just crashes.

With the plentiful amount of ROM, I say just use titanium backup and try different flavours. What's troubling me right now is customizing the right look with other launchers and icons.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I dunno if anyone can help here but I thought id ask anyway. I got given one of those cheap android on a stick MK802 things, they come pre-rooted (root checker and typing su in terminal emulator confirms this) however the /system partition is still read only.

Is there a way to change it to read/write?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

caberham posted:

I tried CM10 monthly for the GSM GNEx for a little bit and the amount of customization in a ROM just blows me away. Great music player and equalizer but I had issues with bluetooth working and sometimes hitting certain settings just crashes.

With the plentiful amount of ROM, I say just use titanium backup and try different flavours. What's troubling me right now is customizing the right look with other launchers and icons.

I'm really liking the CM10 nightlies on my Sprint GN. Most of the improvements are under-the-hood stuff, the most prominent visible thing I can think of is the ability to put toggles for just about anything you want (brightness, sound, wifi, etc - a bunch of poo poo) on the notification pulldown.

lignicolos posted:

I am having the exact same problem with goomanager and the latest TWRP on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. It tries to use the /usb-otg/ instead of the /sdcard0/ and fails every single time.

I simply switched to ROM Manager and CWM recovery. Just flashed the recovery over with zero issues. I have the paid app, though, and I don't know what the free version is lacking.

That being said, it's working splendidly now.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

a big fwiggen terd posted:

I dunno if anyone can help here but I thought id ask anyway. I got given one of those cheap android on a stick MK802 things, they come pre-rooted (root checker and typing su in terminal emulator confirms this) however the /system partition is still read only.

mount -o remount,rw /system

For a permanent rw, assuming it works the same way as most standard Linux distros, edit /etc/fstab, find the line for /system, and change ro to rw.

Edit: Be aware that I haven't tested this. These are just standard Linux ways of handling things. YMMV on Android.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Also a root browser such as ES File Manager has an option in settings to mount /system as rw as needed so you don't need to run around with /system always writeable.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Is there anyway I can set it up so that when I hold down the power button on my S3, when it's locked, for the torch to activate? It's the one feature I miss from my Xperia Arc.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've got an old Samsung I9000, currently with the Tirami Slim ROM which I really love. I was just wondering if anyone had the phone with a different ROM, possibly with a Jellybean one, and their experiences with it?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Megaspel posted:

Is there anyway I can set it up so that when I hold down the power button on my S3, when it's locked, for the torch to activate? It's the one feature I miss from my Xperia Arc.

Not power button, but MIUI supports this via holding down the home button

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Experto Crede posted:

Not power button, but MIUI supports this via holding down the home button

Anyway to port that to another ROM/CM10? I tend to find MIUI to be a tad completely terrible.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Megaspel posted:

Anyway to port that to another ROM/CM10? I tend to find MIUI to be a tad completely terrible.

Possibly by overwriting CM10's lockscreen apk with that from MIUI (Though you'd lose the CM mods to it of course)

Otherwise, suggest it to the CM team via their forums/IRC/etc.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Alan_Shore posted:

I've got an old Samsung I9000, currently with the Tirami Slim ROM which I really love. I was just wondering if anyone had the phone with a different ROM, possibly with a Jellybean one, and their experiences with it?

I helped someone put CM10 on his SGS, it's smooth as poo poo and based off the Nexus S JB (biggest reason why CM10 for the I9000 was out so fast). Could provide you with more experiences if the dude I helped comes back complaining why it got so slow (he has a history of slowing CM9 down to a crawl). Haven't heard of him in two weeks though, so fingers crossed.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Healbot posted:

I helped someone put CM10 on his SGS, it's smooth as poo poo and based off the Nexus S JB (biggest reason why CM10 for the I9000 was out so fast). Could provide you with more experiences if the dude I helped comes back complaining why it got so slow (he has a history of slowing CM9 down to a crawl). Haven't heard of him in two weeks though, so fingers crossed.

That sounds great if you could! I mean I do love this ROM but I also love Jellybean on my Nexus 7.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

WebDO posted:

I flashed the new radios yesterday and so far, no more signal drops, plus significantly better signal strength and faster speeds. Pretty pleased.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

G-Prime posted:

mount -o remount,rw /system

For a permanent rw, assuming it works the same way as most standard Linux distros, edit /etc/fstab, find the line for /system, and change ro to rw.

Edit: Be aware that I haven't tested this. These are just standard Linux ways of handling things. YMMV on Android.

tried that but i just get the message 'mount: read-only file system'

LastInLine posted:

Also a root browser such as ES File Manager has an option in settings to mount /system as rw as needed so you don't need to run around with /system always writeable.

I tried es file manager gives a failed to mount error and total commander does the same thing as the mount command.

There isnt an adb command that would do this?

Edit: adb remount has the same error, this thing is a pos :v:

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 18, 2012

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
This might not be the place but I thought I'd ask:

Can someone give me ROM recommendations for my Evo 4g? I've tried looking around xda but that place is such a clusterfuck.

Right now I have a version of CM9 from Team D.I.R.T. that I like okay but the battery loving sucks (moreso than before). I really liked MIUI but I could never really get a solid build of it. It always seemed like there was just something wrong. I'd jump around to other versions of MIUI but there was always something; MMS wouldn't work on one, Battery stats on another, random reboots on another. It drove me nuts.

I haven't tried the most recent MIUI so maybe they've figured their poo poo out but this version of CM9 is the most stable I've had, aside from the battery issue.

So, any ideas? Any new ROMs out that I may not have heard of? Anyone have a 4g that they're using that they just love the ROM?

edit: This is for the basic 4g, not the LTE. Will probably switch to the LTE in the near future.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 18, 2012

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

tried that but i just get the message 'mount: read-only file system'

I tried es file manager gives a failed to mount error and total commander does the same thing as the mount command.

There isnt an adb command that would do this?

Edit: adb remount has the same error, this thing is a pos :v:
Try this, from : http://android-tricks.blogspot.com/2009/01/mount-filesystem-read-write.html

$ adb shell
$ su
$ mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

(Replace /dev/block/mtdblock3 & /system with appropriate device path and mount point, as obtained from cat /proc/mounts)

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I'm considering making the jump to CM10 on my Galaxy S3, but I like the Samsung camera app too damned much. Is there any way to save it, or is it TouchWiz-dependent?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Aatrek posted:

I'm considering making the jump to CM10 on my Galaxy S3, but I like the Samsung camera app too damned much. Is there any way to save it, or is it TouchWiz-dependent?

Touchwiz-dependent. It's one of the few things I miss from stock.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

deong posted:

Try this, from : http://android-tricks.blogspot.com/2009/01/mount-filesystem-read-write.html

$ adb shell
$ su
$ mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

(Replace /dev/block/mtdblock3 & /system with appropriate device path and mount point, as obtained from cat /proc/mounts)

Ok well I did cat /proc/mounts but I cant tell which one is meant to be system? sysfs?

code:
cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
/dev/block/nandd /system ext4 ro,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=ordered
 0 0
/dev/block/nande /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,journal
_checksum,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/nandh /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,journa
l_checksum,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/nandi /mnt/private vfat rw,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime
=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro 0 0

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Someone else may be able to tell you for sure, but I think its :
/dev/block/nandd

based on this :
/dev/block/nandd /system ext4 ro,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=ordered 0 0

So I think your line will be something like :
mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/nandd /system

But I don't KNOW what I'm doing, I just have ideas.. so proceed with caution ;).

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
Does anyone use Paranoid Android?
Kind of curious if it's actually functional or just a novelty.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DashingGentleman posted:

Does anyone use Paranoid Android?
Kind of curious if it's actually functional or just a novelty.

I tried it once. It might have value if you have a bigger phone e.g. SGS3 or Galaxy Note but for smaller displays it's nigh unusable in tablet mode.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MindlessHavok posted:

This might not be the place but I thought I'd ask:

Can someone give me ROM recommendations for my Evo 4g? I've tried looking around xda but that place is such a clusterfuck.

Pretty much you're going to be limited to a stock rooted rom or Cyanogen 7. The Evo is old as balls, older than my G2 and you're not going to really see anything that's 100%

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
HTC Evo LTE rooted using CM10: So I got my paycheck today and opened up the Chase bank app but the quick deposit menu, and some other options, are missing. Does anyone else have this problem? I really need the option to do this or I will have to unroot which I do not want to :(

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Aatrek posted:

Haha I switched back to stock strictly because of that

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
How can I go 100% back to factory default settings?

E: I went back to an older snapshot but it is slower and I can't download from the store. Would rather erase all traces of jail breaking and start fresh

Oh and I guess erase the whole SD card.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 19, 2012

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

What roms you guys using for the galaxy nexus and kindle fire? I followed guides from rootkindlefire.com and rootgalaxynexus.com, should I have used something off the xda forum?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Optiquest posted:

should I have used something off the xda forum?

gently caress no.

I use Peter Alfonso's ROM for my Galaxy Nexus. No dumb pony poo poo/KANGBANGed kernel/retarded overclocking.

It's pretty much just stock Jelly Bean with a few enhancements. Dunno what else you'd need.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

right arm posted:

gently caress no.

I use Peter Alfonso's ROM for my Galaxy Nexus. No dumb pony poo poo/KANGBANGed kernel/retarded overclocking.

It's pretty much just stock Jelly Bean with a few enhancements. Dunno what else you'd need.

I'll give that a try. Looking back at the sites I used the dates are a few months back. Do I need to worry about what version of the files I used to root or the back up stuff. Or is rooted rooted?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Optiquest posted:

I'll give that a try. Looking back at the sites I used the dates are a few months back. Do I need to worry about what version of the files I used to root or the back up stuff. Or is rooted rooted?

Rooted is rooted, but if you're rooted I'd assume you have a custom recovery, and if you do, then all you need to do is nandroid and then wipe data/cache and then flash his ROM from wherever you put it on your device.

His ROM comes pre-rooted and has gapps, so no need to find a su.zip or a gapps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Pete has an xda thread. :ohdear: