Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

So who do I call to ask for the extended battery deal?

Sprint sales. Just dial *2 from your phone and get to customer care.

The Entire Universe posted:

Nokia are crazy mother fuckers and I would not put this past them.

Assuming they stay in business! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="407668460"]
That's not why the pics on your 4G suck.

I'm not expecting to take the best pictures ever seen... I just don't want a giant glowing flare in my picture because 1/2 the plastic that protects the camera is completely scuffed up.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
So for this extended battery deal, is this a situation you need to keep trying different reps until you get one that will do it? I was just told that they won't give it to me, as I'm not a new line.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool

CombatCupcake posted:

I'm not expecting to take the best pictures ever seen... I just don't want a giant glowing flare in my picture because 1/2 the plastic that protects the camera is completely scuffed up.

I know your about to get a new phone, but they do sell replacement lens covers. Mine cracked right before I got the iPhone last year and I just ordered the replacement lens cover and it was pretty easy to replace. Might help the resale value if you're worried about that.

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005

Label Facing Right posted:

I know your about to get a new phone, but they do sell replacement lens covers. Mine cracked right before I got the iPhone last year and I just ordered the replacement lens cover and it was pretty easy to replace. Might help the resale value if you're worried about that.

How does it get replaced? Far as I can tell its totally built into the lens assembly, with no way to remove it.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool

CombatCupcake posted:

How does it get replaced? Far as I can tell its totally built into the lens assembly, with no way to remove it.

If I remember correctly the red metal ring is just glued on and comes loose with a little pressure. After that you replace the lens cover and then put a little bit of superglue on the metal ring again to replace it.

I'm pretty sure there was a YouTube video by ifixit or someone else that showed how to do it.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

AvesPKS posted:

Why would you rather have a Nexus than an S3?

Big reason is software. I much prefer stock Android and fast updates. I also just think the Nexus is nicer looking and feeling. The S3 feels extremely cheap to me. Like a crappy plastic children's toy. It even looks cheap. Worst industrial design of any current high-end phone. It really baffles me it's sold so loving amazingly worldwide. :colbert:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It's not really ~fast updates~ on the Nexus. Yeah it got Jellybean before the S3 but it's not fast compared to GSM and all that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Very early runs used the same Sony sensor as the iPhone 4S, but customers have since found that quite a few use a presumably inferior Samsung sensor.
Despite this getting the occasional mention, I've not found credible sources that backs either of these claims.

I think this rumor started with Chipworks's SGS3 teardown that since has been taken offline. But iFixit comments that the initial Chipworks's analysis was incorrect, and has since speculated that it's an unknown Sony BSI sensor, but not the IMX145 found in the iPhone.

However, I checked the kernel sources for the GT-I9300 and the US variants, and the only 8 MP camera sensor driver that's included in both device builds is for the Samsung S5C73M3 sensor. Which is exactly what Anandtech found in their analysis of the international model, which predates the Chipworks report.

It's not impossible that prerelease/prototype hardware may have contained a Sony sensor. However Samsung usually goes to some length to ensure that prototype and other hardware variant support is maintained in their kernel sources, so the lack of a Sony sensor in their kernel builds makes it quite unlikely that any such hardware ever existed.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Skeezy posted:

It's not really ~fast updates~ on the Nexus. Yeah it got Jellybean before the S3 but it's not fast compared to GSM and all that.

Yeah to be fair, my experience with the Nexus is my girlfriend's, which is an unlocked GSM one, sooooo.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Should I call the SERO line now to upgrade to the $50/month plan in preparation of getting the iPhone or can I just wait till I actually get it and do upgrade/activation all in one shot? Am I going to have to make two separate calls anyway?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

However, I checked the kernel sources for the GT-I9300 and the US variants, and the only 8 MP camera sensor driver that's included in both device builds is for the Samsung S5C73M3 sensor. Which is exactly what Anandtech found in their analysis of the international model, which predates the Chipworks report.
Anand's review still wasn't 100% sure of the manufacturer:

quote:

From my digging, I’ve found that both my T-Mobile and AT&T SGS3s contain a S5C73M3 rear camera module - that looks like a Samsung CMOS name to me, but usually Samsung CMOSes start with S5K3 in the 8MP category. This is the same as the International version I’ve seen, though there’s still considerable debate about whether this is a Sony CMOS, but initial reports are that it isn’t the IMX145 from the iPhone 4S. I’ve also seen references to “CML0801” but that doesn’t mean anything to me immediately. Either way, the CMOS is 8 MP with 1.4µm pixels and BSI, images at full resolution are 3264 x 2448.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

CombatCupcake posted:

If you've got insurance, a repair center can probably do it for no charge, too. They send us the whole back plastic piece.

I do that one pretty regularly if its affecting the picture quality. And yes, it was kind of a dumb design to have it stick out like that.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
Due to my constant frustration with data availability / speeds in the SF Bay Area, I bit the bullet and pre-ordered an iPhone 5 for Verizon. My account will be disabled upon shipment of the phone and I'll pay the ETF in the subsequent bill. My question is:

I have an Airave at home that I use on my current Sprint account (it was free with no monthly fee since the service at my home was abysmal. Will I need to return the hardware to Sprint, or do I technically own it?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Jeratain posted:

Due to my constant frustration with data availability / speeds in the SF Bay Area, I bit the bullet and pre-ordered an iPhone 5 for Verizon. My account will be disabled upon shipment of the phone and I'll pay the ETF in the subsequent bill. My question is:

I have an Airave at home that I use on my current Sprint account (it was free with no monthly fee since the service at my home was abysmal. Will I need to return the hardware to Sprint, or do I technically own it?

If you don't send it back they will charge you $140. I just got $140 back today from an Airrave I sent back a month or so ago. So yeah, if you're canceling call them and get a shipping label for the Airrave.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

ddogflex posted:

If you don't send it back they will charge you $140. I just got $140 back today from an Airrave I sent back a month or so ago. So yeah, if you're canceling call them and get a shipping label for the Airrave.

Thank you. Could I simply take it into a Sprint store instead of shipping it back?

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012

Jeratain posted:

Thank you. Could I simply take it into a Sprint store instead of shipping it back?

I asked the rep when I called to get my airave and was told no. You have to get a label and ship it back to them.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Any chance sprint does away with the EPRP plan anytime soon? My girlfriend is grandfathered into some AT&T plan that seems to be cheaper that every plan I've come across other than the EPRP, but her contract doesn't end until February. I'm hoping it'll last until then.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

EPRP isn't a particularly good deal, often matched or exceeded by employer discounts, so I see no reason for why Sprint would want to axe it after all these years.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

Assuming they stay in business! :)

Microsoft would probably just engulf the mobile division like Google did Motorola. I know they've got a good partnership going but that's not outright ownership.

I don't think Nokia has a similar division to Motorola Mobility, though. They used to market stuff like modems and whatnot, but got out of that market a while back.

But still, they put a loving 41 megapixel camera, with a sensor not only bigger than most point-and-shoots, but bigger than most bridge cameras, in a phone and then put Symbian on that phone. In 2012. If that isn't the textbook definition of a bunch of crazy motherfuckers not giving a fleeting gently caress about who buys their phones then I don't know what is. It's like owning a Ferrari 275 that has a problem where the radio plays K-pop at full volume any time the car is running.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

td4guy posted:

EPRP isn't a particularly good deal, often matched or exceeded by employer discounts, so I see no reason for why Sprint would want to axe it after all these years.

I thought after all was said and done you do pay about the same on EPRP as you would with most normal employee discounts, but with EPRP you get more minutes or something a little extra. But who uses minutes anymore? :smug:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Sprint is getting the Galaxy Note 2.

In other news, iPhone 5 inventory is not looking great for lunch. This is unofficial, we shall see what stores get tomorrow.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Duckman2008 posted:

In other news, iPhone 5 inventory is not looking great for lunch. This is unofficial, we shall see what stores get tomorrow.

I'm always entertained at reading your posts, those subtle typos must be from phone typing, right?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I'm always entertained at reading your posts, those subtle typos must be from phone typing, right?

I can't actually post from the forums on my 3d anymore, the last update broke it entirely somehow? Every time I try it keeps jumping around and deleting words.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

change my name posted:

I can't actually post from the forums on my 3d anymore, the last update broke it entirely somehow? Every time I try it keeps jumping around and deleting words.

I can barely use the keyboard on chrome on my 3D, not sure if it's the same thing. Only on chrome does the keyboard gently caress up.

Oh and also the screen is dead in portions, so there is that too.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I figured I'd ask this here instead of one of the specific Android threads:

I have the old school Evo 4g right now and am planning on upgrading soon. What's the best phone that Sprint has right now or will have in the near future?

I've looked at the EVO 4g LTE and I like it and have really liked my basic 4g. I'm just curious if there's something better that I've missed. I'm not a huge iPhone fan but then again I've never had one, so it's not really out of the realm of possibility that I get the 5.

With my 4g I've never really ran it stock and have always run MIUI or CM on it. I do like the customization that Android brings with it which is why I'm leaning towards it. The reason I'd jump to iPhone is that almost everyone I know has one and in my group of friends group messaging is used a lot and I always get screwed responding to people. I realize there are apps that are supposed to deal with this but I've never been able to get them to work. I also like how you can drop a pin with your location in the Maps app on iPhone. Never really understood why you couldn't do that with Android.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

In no particular order:

EVO LTE
iPhone 5
Galaxy S3
Galaxy Nexus

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
What's the best number for billing questions? taken care of

I just realized I've been paying $10 extra a month for a while for some bullshit third party subscription on my mother's line plus another $10 for another one this past month. I only noticed because Sprint took out $20 more than they usually do this morning. I should look at my bill more often.

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 19, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lovie Unsmith posted:

iPad actually, I love apples keyboard but hate the spell checker.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Jeratain posted:

This depends... Was this a newer Airrave that gave you 3g inside your home? Or was it an old Airrave that only did voice? If it was only voice, call them and ask, because when they sent me my new upgraded airrave that did 3g they said they didnt want the old one back and I could keep it.

quote:

I think I am actually excited for this. I really wanted the first one when it came out, and I have been holding back on using my upgrade since I still my have 3d and haven't been impressed with any of the current phones being released... Would jumping from the 3d to the note 2 be worth it?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Do you need the box to return the Airrave? Mine has been useless for a long time, and I think I'm better off just using verizon roaming for cell quality + wifi in the home for data.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
If anyone is interested, I'm selling my Nexus S 4G over on the SA-MART RIGHT NOW!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507839

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I've been waiting for confirmation. The original Evo has served me well, but I'm really looking forward to getting this.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Duckman2008 posted:

Very not great, if the order that's currently in our computer is all we're getting. I almost expect riots.

Also, they're pulling the iPhone 4. It might be available online via Sprint or Apple, but not in stores.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

quote:

I've been watching all the hands on videos.

I'll wait to check out the phone at a Sprint store before I make the final decision, since the size may be a bit daunting for my hands.

This is as close to owning a stupid tablet as I'm gonna get.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
My Sprint Nexus S is trying to push an OTA Jelly Bean update. Should I take it?

Last time I did this, I got Ice Cream Sandwich, but Sprint hosed with it and took away my tethering. My trust, shattered.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

bartkusa posted:

My Sprint Nexus S is trying to push an OTA Jelly Bean update. Should I take it?

Last time I did this, I got Ice Cream Sandwich, but Sprint hosed with it and took away my tethering. My trust, shattered.

Jelly Beam is a nice update, I would.

Also what do you mean they took away your tethering? Were you paying for tethering and lost the ability? It's never been free or usable on a stock ROM without paying (or rooting).

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

ninmeister posted:

Jelly Beam is a nice update, I would.

Also what do you mean they took away your tethering? Were you paying for tethering and lost the ability? It's never been free or usable on a stock ROM without paying (or rooting).

Uh, no.

ZDNet: Sprint kills free tethering on the Nexus S 4G with update

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yes, the JB update is fine. The free tethering was a bug in Gingerbread for the NS4G though. It was never meant to be free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

Very not great, if the order that's currently in our computer is all we're getting. I almost expect riots.

Also, they're pulling the iPhone 4. It might be available online via Sprint or Apple, but not in stores.

Dude, this week has been hell with the launch.

Iphone 4 is discontinued in store, but stores should still be able to order it. Sprint is concerned (probably correctly) About fraud issues.

I talked to a bunch of people. Most stores are getting a total of 3 iphone 5s for launch day. It isn't pretty. My store got lucky and got 4 plus 2 32GBs.