Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Thanks for the reply. That's really a big negative for people like me. A 32gb microSD card costs $20 at this point. I know streaming is the hot thing at the moment, but 90% of the time I'd want to use a tablet I wouldn't have access to a connection with enough bandwidth to reliably stream anything (crappy hotel wi-fi and airplanes).
You can buy one of these and use a USB flash drive if you don't mind it hanging out and flopping around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You can buy one of these and use a USB flash drive if you don't mind it hanging out and flopping around.

I did that on my first N7 but it required unlocking the tablet (easy enough with a handy wizard found on the XDA forums). If I traveled more I'd definitely do it again but right now I'm not too bothered about it. But I do wish Google didn't move away from MicroSD storage - why remove the option to add a cheap 32gb, as well as a selling point the iPads don't have?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

krushgroove posted:

I did that on my first N7 but it required unlocking the tablet (easy enough with a handy wizard found on the XDA forums). If I traveled more I'd definitely do it again but right now I'm not too bothered about it. But I do wish Google didn't move away from MicroSD storage - why remove the option to add a cheap 32gb, as well as a selling point the iPads don't have?

Doctor rear end in a top hat, on the last page, posted:

It's been discussed several times. Nexus models will no longer have SD card slots. Here's some of the reasoning:
  • To avoid using USB mass storage
  • To avoid proprietary file systems (exFAT)
  • To avoid user decisions on where to store data
  • To avoid applications being stored on the SD card disappearing when the card is mounted
  • To avoid the need for the physical parts and space needed
Personally I think SD cards need to go away, but it seems I'm in the minority.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Saw that, still thought it was worth asking the question. I don't think there's anyone that would mind paying a few extra dollars/shekels for the ability to instantly add 32GB of space to their tablet.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

krushgroove posted:

Saw that, still thought it was worth asking the question. I don't think there's anyone that would mind paying a few extra dollars/shekels for the ability to instantly add 32GB of space to their tablet.
You act as though cost of the device is the only reason to not include it. Doctor rear end in a top hat has laid it that there are other reasons as well.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Rumor has it that the Transformer Prime is getting Jelly Bean on the 20th. Hopefully it's true.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think I'm going to return my Nexus under warranty and get my second replacement. This touchscreen issue seems to be widespread and might be due to heat. Goddamn it Asus. Now I have to unroot it and return to stock. How shall I back up my games progress? Titanium?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

The Merkinman posted:

You act as though cost of the device is the only reason to not include it. Doctor rear end in a top hat has laid it that there are other reasons as well.

I guess I'd discount most of those reasons from Google as 'doesn't affect 90% of users' and still say I'd be happy to pay more for a physical microSD card - it's one of the reasons I picked an S III instead of a Nexus phone, after all. An expansion slot would help any tablet get points over any iPad, as I've said before. But whatever, moot argument.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I did that on my first N7 but it required unlocking the tablet
Apparently this works without needing to root/unlock.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'll give that a try tonight! I don't mind unlocking or rooting using the wizard I mentioned earlier, but I know that works - I think this app is aimed at people that don't want to risk 'messing up' anything with their tablet, but what the hell, I still have credit from the Play store from when I originally bought my N7.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Frozen-Solid posted:

Rumor has it that the Transformer Prime is getting Jelly Bean on the 20th. Hopefully it's true.

Not disproving it, but it seems weird having a patch release 4 days before, then releasing it to me. I'm hoping it's true though!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

It's been discussed several times. Nexus models will no longer have SD card slots. Here's some of the reasoning:
  • To avoid using USB mass storage
  • To avoid proprietary file systems (exFAT)
  • To avoid user decisions on where to store data
  • To avoid applications being stored on the SD card disappearing when the card is mounted
  • To avoid the need for the physical parts and space needed
Personally I think SD cards need to go away, but it seems I'm in the minority.
The only reason devices don't have expandable storage is so that the manufacturer can make a nice little profit at point of sale by charging $50 for $6 worth of flash storage (or $200 for $12 worth of storage see also Apple Computer Co.) Literally none of the rest of these arguments hold water except maybe the app 2 sd issue which is something normal users would not do in the first place.

The OMG CLOUD argument is even worse because US cellular carriers (and some home ISPs) are actively reducing the amount of monthly bandwith their customers get in the name of profit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Syrinxx posted:

The only reason devices don't have expandable storage is so that the manufacturer can make a nice little profit at point of sale by charging $50 for $6 worth of flash storage (or $200 for $12 worth of storage see also Apple Computer Co.) Literally none of the rest of these arguments hold water except maybe the app 2 sd issue which is something normal users would not do in the first place.

The OMG CLOUD argument is even worse because US cellular carriers (and some home ISPs) are actively reducing the amount of monthly bandwith their customers get in the name of profit.

The reasons listed are valid, but manufacturers will of course take the opportunity to gouge. I don't think most of us would mind if the nexus had 64GB & cost $20 more.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
None of the reasons that guy listed bear much relevance to how removable storage is handled in devices like my Transformer TF101 tablet. You can't install programs on the removable sd card. There's no need for the tablet to present a USB mass storage mode to the user, the user can just put stuff on the sd card directly. Avoiding "user decisions on where to store data" is just silly; it's just as much a user decision on where to store data to put something on the tablet or phone at all! Plus noone's forced to use it either. And the "cost" and "space" to have a microsd slot is utterly trivial.

Also since when has Android or manufacturers cared about proprietary standards? Pretty sure all cell phones have to support proprietary standards just to work; and exFAT support isn't even necessary to have sd cards.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Endless Mike posted:

Nexus devices will not have removable storage going forward.

I wouldn't rule it out. They did a behind the scenes refactor of the storage system in Jelly Bean and the shared storage directory is now "/storage/sdcard0", not "/sdcard" as it used to be (though that path still works since they set it up as a symlink to the new location). Seems to be a pretty strong indicator that they're planning on bringing it back.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

I wouldn't rule it out. They did a behind the scenes refactor of the storage system in Jelly Bean and the shared storage directory is now "/storage/sdcard0", not "/sdcard" as it used to be (though that path still works since they set it up as a symlink to the new location). Seems to be a pretty strong indicator that they're planning on bringing it back.
Or they're making it easier for manufacturers to continue to use them. The Nexus 7 is the Jelly Bean device and it doesn't have an SD card. If we start getting Nexus devices with SD cards I will be angry because that means the spergs have won and manufacturers won't ever bother putting a decent amount of storage on-device because "hey, just put an SD card in it." At least Flash is gone.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Or they're making it easier for manufacturers to continue to use them. The Nexus 7 is the Jelly Bean device and it doesn't have an SD card. If we start getting Nexus devices with SD cards I will be angry because that means the spergs have won and manufacturers won't ever bother putting a decent amount of storage on-device because "hey, just put an SD card in it." At least Flash is gone.

I don't think manufacturers care about putting on a decent amount of storage anyway. Putting more on would squeeze profit margins when users expect most of the high end phones to be $199 subsidized.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The exFAT/FAT filesystems are covered under Microsoft patents. Implementing SD card storage that would be of any use to users would require those filesystems. Samsung, HTC, et al pay Microsoft a per-device royalty to use it.

Given the current environment with respect to patents, I can't imagine Google would cave on this.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kitten smoothie posted:

The exFAT/FAT filesystems are covered under Microsoft patents. Implementing SD card storage that would be of any use to users would require those filesystems. Samsung, HTC, et al pay Microsoft a per-device royalty to use it.

Given the current environment with respect to patents, I can't imagine Google would cave on this.

Google makes no devices themselves, all manufacturers who make their devices already pay to license SD stuff. And the FAT royalty is really loving tiny. It's somewhere below a quarter per unit; since 24 cents per unit was the worst case scenario price I found.

Also everyone who has plugged a usb stick into a Nexus 7 has shown that the device can read FAT volumes and thus ASUS has been paying to license it for the Nexus 7; so no FAT license fees were avoided.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
See all the comments from techies & geeks who just don't get why there's no expandable storage.

But I guess a flat USB cable with a MicroSD reader can be tucked into a case so you can have 4, 8, 16GB or whatever you want, permanently attached.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Syrinxx posted:

Google is the one who mandates no SD storage on Nexus devices, and they're not exactly in the business of making hardware, much less scheming to make more profit on it.

Regardless of that point, it's completely possible for both technical and profit motives to hold true.

Believe me, there are tons of technical issues with using SD storage. There's workarounds, but they are all bandaid solutions.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thermopyle posted:

Google is the one who mandates no SD storage on Nexus devices, and they're not exactly in the business of making hardware, much less scheming to make more profit on it.
Then why does the 16GB Nexus 7, which Google sells directly to customers, cost fifty dollars more than the 8GB? That amount of NAND costs less than $10. Ordinary flash costs half that much.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

Then why does the 16GB Nexus 7, which Google sells directly to customers, cost fifty dollars more than the 8GB? That amount of NAND costs less than $10. Ordinary flash costs half that much.
Why restaurants charge two dollars for a soda that costs them three cents? Because people pay it and businesses like to make money.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Syrinxx posted:

• Do you know how much Asus is charging Google?
  • Is Asus making the additional profit (if there is any) or is Google?
  • Do you know all the manufacturing trade offs that were made to accommodate two product lines?
  • What about the logistical problems of maintaining two different product lines?
  • Should they make no additional profit on a higher-specced device?

In other words, the world is complicated and not everyone is out to get you and a lot of people are and sometimes you can't get what you want and you can't always know whats going on and what seems obvious often isn't.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
^ While those are all true, a $50 premium for 8GB of storage feels like a terrible value proposition to many of us. Same with the idea that external storage should be available. Yes, I understand there are issues with it, but computers have been using external storage since their inception and there have always been issues, but they've always been dealt with. For many of us the advantages outweigh the disadvantages and the decision does not seem sensible for that reason.

Kindle Fire HD already got rooted. I think I'll sit back and see where that goes. For my use scenario the extra 8gb of storage, HDMI out and better speakers would be major features. If they can break out of Amazon's walled garden a bit more I might be sold.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

krushgroove posted:

See all the comments from techies & geeks who just don't get why there's no expandable storage.

But I guess a flat USB cable with a MicroSD reader can be tucked into a case so you can have 4, 8, 16GB or whatever you want, permanently attached.
Techies and geeks are not the majority and are not who a company trying to sell large volumes should cater to.

Justin Sane
Aug 15, 2012
are any of you guys still using the Xoom? Mine is still going strong, 6 months with no screen protector, no scratches. A lot of people gave me poo poo when I bought it, but the only thing I desire is better resoltion. Im hesitant to upgrade because i havent really had any problems. I never did get the 4G upgrade, I dont get 4g in my area.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

^ While those are all true, a $50 premium for 8GB of storage feels like a terrible value proposition to many of us.

Yes, but that's a different issue from saying that SD storage went away so they could rake you over the coals to make big profits.

If the extra 8GB cost them $49 and they're charging you $50, it would still be 50 bucks for 8GB...a terrible value.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, but that's a different issue from saying that SD storage went away so they could rake you over the coals to make big profits.

If the extra 8GB cost them $49 and they're charging you $50, it would still be 50 bucks for 8GB...a terrible value.

FWIW, I never was saying that they removed it to make big profits. It just seems really weird to release a top of the line device that's crippled by its lack of storage and also doesn't give the user the ability to change that.

I don't understand your last statement at all.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Apparently this works without needing to root/unlock.

Does android really not have a built-in automatic backup solution? What the gently caress have they been doing since 2009?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Does android really not have a built-in automatic backup solution? What the gently caress have they been doing since 2009?
The only way to backup application data without root is to use ADB's backup command, which was only added in 4.0. Everything else is stored in the cloud, so you don't need to back it up. As it stands right now, if you don't want to lose your Angry Birds scores when you're flashing ROMs or whatever the cool kids are doing these days, you have to use ADB and backup with a computer or root and use something like Titanium Backup to save stuff to your SD card.

e: for what it's worth I didn't need to do anything when I switched phones. My new one redownloaded all my poo poo after I logged in.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 19, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The only way to backup application data without root is to use ADB's backup command, which was only added in 4.0. Everything else is stored in the cloud, so you don't need to back it up. As it stands right now, if you don't want to lose your Angry Birds scores when you're flashing ROMs or whatever the cool kids are doing these days, you have to use ADB and backup with a computer or root and use something like Titanium Backup to save stuff to your SD card.

e: for what it's worth I didn't need to do anything when I switched phones. My new one redownloaded all my poo poo after I logged in.
What about logins / passwords?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

randyest posted:

WiFi passwords are restored. I think now passwords saved in Chrome will restore as well, but my old phone didn't have Chrome. I didn't have anything else that required passwords.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WiFi passwords are restored. I think now passwords saved in Chrome will restore as well, but my old phone didn't have Chrome. I didn't have anything else that required passwords.
I haven't tried but Internet searches seem to indicate logins and passwords and desktop icon/widget placement are not restored by ADB. Anyone actually try it and know for sure?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

randyest posted:

Chrome/Browser auto-sync, plus a combo of Keepass and Google Drive. If you're talking about logging into everything on your device again automatically (eg Facebook, Twitter), I'd imagine that it would be a massive security risk.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

spincube posted:

Chrome/Browser auto-sync, plus a combo of Keepass and Google Drive. If you're talking about logging into everything on your device again automatically (eg Facebook, Twitter), I'd imagine that it would be a massive security risk.
I'm thinking of that too. Why would it be a security risk with a password-protected encrypted backup?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

randyest posted:

I'm thinking of that too. Why would it be a security risk with a password-protected encrypted backup?
Because if ADB can do it so could an apk in certain situations.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

LastInLine posted:

Because if ADB can do it so could an apk in certain situations.
That seems like a not good situation. Why should apps have equal access as a user-initiated backup?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

What witchery did you use to redownload everything? Was it in one go, or did you play around with settings, etc., before you switched off your old phone? I recently upgraded phones (old Galaxy S to new one) and swapped tablets (RMA'd an N7) and had to individually find and install all the apps I wanted on both devices. It wasn't a big deal because I didn't actually want to re-install *everything* I had, but it would've been nice to have everything in one checklist and do a mass download/install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

krushgroove posted:

What witchery did you use to redownload everything? Was it in one go, or did you play around with settings, etc., before you switched off your old phone? I recently upgraded phones (old Galaxy S to new one) and swapped tablets (RMA'd an N7) and had to individually find and install all the apps I wanted on both devices. It wasn't a big deal because I didn't actually want to re-install *everything* I had, but it would've been nice to have everything in one checklist and do a mass download/install.

I think it's when you start the device for the first time and go through the Android activation (entering in your Google info, etc). You can choose to "Restore from Google" and it'll download your apps (and settings?).

However, this will only work if you had "Backup to Google" selected on your previous device.