Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The Ken Onion knives are terrible, fyi. We had a guy that lasted like a month come in with one of those Ken Onion "chef's knife". Chipped the blade dicing cooked chicken. Calls Shun customer service, they tell him the Ken Onion CHEFS KNIFE is only intended to cut fruits and vegetables, and will not honor the warranty.

Weird. I have 3 different ones, and never had an issue. The biggest problem with them is that they are a very hard steel, and thus difficult to sharpen.I love the balance and handle on them, makes the pinch grip very easy.

Edit: and honestly that sounds like a load of bullshit saying they're only for fruits and vegetables. as in, I don't think the company told him that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Edit: and honestly that sounds like a load of bullshit saying they're only for fruits and vegetables. as in, I don't think the company told him that.

It's entirely possible that they didn't say that, but he definitely did chip the knife cutting cooked chicken on a standard poly board, and shun would not replace it for free. They wanted to charge $75 for a replacement, which is nearly the cost of a similarly good knife like a miyabi.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My friend's mom has a couple of cheap nakiri knives that get dull super fast. I got her an Accusharp but it still gets dull fast, which makes me think the steel just sucks. It's her birthday and I want to buy her a nicer one. Anyone got a recommendation?

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

It's entirely possible that they didn't say that, but he definitely did chip the knife cutting cooked chicken on a standard poly board, and shun would not replace it for free. They wanted to charge $75 for a replacement, which is nearly the cost of a similarly good knife like a miyabi.

I used a regular Shun 8" santoku to dice cold, occasionally overcooked and poorly-prepped chicken breasts for two years straight, and never had that problem. Hitting the occasional small bone would dull up the blade, sure, but I never had chipping problems. Do the Ken Onion ones use a different style of steel or something?

I just picked up one of the KAI Pure Komachi bread knives for my work kit, and I'm liking it a lot. I cut up a lot of weirdly doughy ciabatta baguettes at work, and the KAI cuts through them a lot nicer than the house Dexter offset bread knives. And if it ever gets lovely.. well, it only cost $10. Bummer that it's bright orange, though..

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Steve Yun posted:

My friend's mom has a couple of cheap nakiri knives that get dull super fast. I got her an Accusharp but it still gets dull fast, which makes me think the steel just sucks. It's her birthday and I want to buy her a nicer one. Anyone got a recommendation?

First question, what's she cutting on? If it's a glass cutting board, well, replace that with wood or poly and problem solved.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm thinking of trying a Ramen diet for a little while, maybe a month. Is Kroger/Walmart going to be my cheapest option, or is Amazon worth the trouble? I haven't bought ramen in years so I don't remember what's a good price.

edit: v It's not really a cost thing. I'm looking for something that's filling and Ramen was the first thing that came to mind. Nutritional content is irrelevant at the moment.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 19, 2012

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm thinking of trying a Ramen diet for a little while, maybe a month. Is Kroger/Walmart going to be my cheapest option, or is Amazon worth the trouble? I haven't bought ramen in years so I don't remember what's a good price.

Does it have to be Ramen? Unless it's on sale, a pack of ramen is around $0.40 to $0.50 each. The money you spend on 90 packs of ramen can be put to much better use buying some actual food.

This thread for cooking on a budget has suggestions for a diet that's going to have more variety and be ultimately better for you than a month's worth of ramen. Just the second post by dino will get you pretty far if you incorporate any ingredients you already have.

Edit: Ramen is like 400 calories per pack so assuming you are an average sized adult male you will need to eat 5 packs a day, not 3. 150 packs is a lot of ramen. Buy beans and rice instead.

Charmmi fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 19, 2012

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I wouldn't say ramen is filling (mostly carbs, sodium and fat) but to answer your question I find Amazon to be cheaper than the local h-mart for Japanese or Korean ramen.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Ok your question is clearly not suitable for the content of this thread. Not to say it's not a valid question but there are better places to find your answer. I think your best bet will be the general questions thread.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Radio Help posted:

I just picked up one of the KAI Pure Komachi bread knives for my work kit, and I'm liking it a lot. I cut up a lot of weirdly doughy ciabatta baguettes at work, and the KAI cuts through them a lot nicer than the house Dexter offset bread knives. And if it ever gets lovely.. well, it only cost $10. Bummer that it's bright orange, though..

Yes! This is a great knife, and an unbelievable deal for $10. I replaced mine with this Tojiro:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkbrkn.html
But I'm not sure if the Tojiro is six times nicer than the Kai. It's certainly longer.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Gilgameshback posted:

Yes! This is a great knife, and an unbelievable deal for $10. I replaced mine with this Tojiro:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkbrkn.html
But I'm not sure if the Tojiro is six times nicer than the Kai. It's certainly longer.

I bought one (the Komachi one, that is) for the restaurant I work at. We make sandwiches, and having a good solid bread knife on hand is a necessity. I don't care that it's bright orange. The blade is wicked sharp, and the thing cleans up in a jiffy.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
Anyone had any good experiences with Spätzle makers? Just spent 20 minutes the other day laboriously shoving dough through a plastic pasta strainer and while I loved the results I need something easier.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Rice cookers!

Any recommendations on rice cookers that are under $50 or so? I will only be cooking enough for one, maybe two other people, so I do not need a super high quantity one.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Capsaicin posted:

Rice cookers!

Any recommendations on rice cookers that are under $50 or so? I will only be cooking enough for one, maybe two other people, so I do not need a super high quantity one.

I use a rice cooker that I bought for $15 at CVS. It works perfectly.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Check thrift stores. I got an 8 cup rice cooker for $1.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Schpyder posted:

First question, what's she cutting on? If it's a glass cutting board, well, replace that with wood or poly and problem solved.

Hmm, come to think of it... they have glass cutting boards and I make them promise to stop using them when I gave them the Accusharp, but maybe they've been surreptitiously using it when I'm not around...

I will take it away from them next time...

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007
If you don't mind the day-glo thing, the other komachi knives are pretty good too. Really good for the price, I think I got an entire set including that bread knife for 25 bucks at costco. If you aren't picky, they'll work for you. If you are picky, you can keep them around so other people don't muck up your better knives.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
What's the verdict on the Furi knife sharpener compared to Accusharp or other cheapo sharpeners?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BerkerkLurk posted:

Anyone had any good experiences with Spätzle makers? Just spent 20 minutes the other day laboriously shoving dough through a plastic pasta strainer and while I loved the results I need something easier.

I have strong opinions about spätzle. spätzle should come out of a 50 cent plastic squeeze bottle with a nozzle. also spätzle should be made less from dough, and more from a thickish batter spurted into simmering water.

I have a couple german friends cooking in mid-end german kitchens, and they pretty much agree.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
also they should look mostly like this, maybe a little thinner though, these look a little too dense.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

novamute posted:

What's the verdict on the Furi knife sharpener compared to Accusharp or other cheapo sharpeners?

Accusharp style sharpeners are great for loving up your knife and not much else. Buy a Lansky or Spyderco system or a bench stone. Alternatively just pay somebody to sharpen your knives the once or twice a year they need it.

If you use a honing steel before cutting, don't use glass cutting boards and don't toss your knives in the dishwasher they won't go dull quickly assuming they aren't made of a terrible grade of poorly hardened steel.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

Accusharp style sharpeners are great for loving up your knife and not much else. Buy a Lansky or Spyderco system or a bench stone. Alternatively just pay somebody to sharpen your knives the once or twice a year they need it.

If you use a honing steel before cutting, don't use glass cutting boards and don't toss your knives in the dishwasher they won't go dull quickly assuming they aren't made of a terrible grade of poorly hardened steel.

This is very good advice.

Lansky also sells a system called the Lansky Gourmet, which is designed for kitchen knives. Stones are probably the best sharpening method, but almost anything would be better than a pull-through system like the Accusharp.

You'll probably need to sharpen more than twice a year - no honing steel can keep an edge for six months unless you hardly ever use the knife, and probably not even then.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

mindphlux posted:

I have strong opinions about spätzle. spätzle should come out of a 50 cent plastic squeeze bottle with a nozzle. also spätzle should be made less from dough, and more from a thickish batter spurted into simmering water.

I have a couple german friends cooking in mid-end german kitchens, and they pretty much agree.

I've always done it/seen it done like this http://youtu.be/-Y6Ga9hMm4Y?t=30s

Not that I make a whole lot of the stuff.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

mindphlux posted:

I had a suspicion the dough I was using was too thick, I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!

Fists Up posted:

I've always done it/seen it done like this http://youtu.be/-Y6Ga9hMm4Y?t=30s

Not that I make a whole lot of the stuff.
Bless anyone who wants to make it the traditional way, but it looks like a pain in the rear end to me.

Fredus
Sep 4, 2004
the lonely albatross
I've seen them made using a perforated hotel pan and just using a scraper to push the batter through.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Any suggested dehydrators I can use to make beef jerky, onion/garlic powder and other dehydrated things with for a few months then ignore for months at a time?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Any suggested dehydrators I can use to make beef jerky, onion/garlic powder and other dehydrated things with for a few months then ignore for months at a time?
A box fan with some food grade plastic mesh and some big rubber bands. Total cost: around 20bux.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

A box fan with some food grade plastic mesh and some big rubber bands. Total cost: around 20bux.

The Alton Brown Method!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfI0NKl-Kq0

About 4 minutes in he says that most dehydrator machines cheat by using heat, which ends up slightly cooking your food instead of just dehydrating it.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 21, 2012

Fredus
Sep 4, 2004
the lonely albatross

I believe modernist cuisine recommends a microwave on low power but I haven't tried it.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I thought I'd seen every episode of Good Eats but I keep running across ones I've missed. My only question is if the setup he displayed in that episode would work for things like dehydrating fruits, onion and garlic as well as meat.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I thought I'd seen every episode of Good Eats but I keep running across ones I've missed. My only question is if the setup he displayed in that episode would work for things like dehydrating fruits, onion and garlic as well as meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjsOIcx4tFA

Skip to about 7 minutes

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Does anyone have a molcajete? I got mine at Sur la Table, figuring that by paying a ridiculous amount for it, I wouldn't have to risk it being poorly made. I've ground rice into it about 12 times already and soaked it for a combined three hours, but it's still producing tiny chunks of rock. Am I always going to have to deal with these pebbles? I'm going to buy a wire brush and scrub it for a solid half hour; hopefully that allows me to make some headway.

For reference, this is more or less the one I bought (mine seems a bit darker): http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-298521/Molcajete

xcdude24 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 22, 2012

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

xcdude24 posted:

Does anyone have a molcajete? I got mine at Sur la Table, figuring that by paying a ridiculous amount for it, I wouldn't have to risk it being poorly made. I've ground rice into it about 12 times already and soaked it for a combined three hours, but it's still producing tiny chunks of rock. Am I always going to have to deal with these pebbles? I'm going to buy a wire brush and scrub it for a solid half hour; hopefully that allows me to make some headway.

For reference, this is more or less the one I bought (mine seems a bit darker): http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-298521/Molcajete
you'd be better off buying some medium and fine grit sand paper and using that instead of a wirebrush.
for reference, this is a similar molcajete on amazon, at roughly half what you paid(not counting shipping). sur la table is not worth it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Guys guys guys, exciting news it the world of cooking appliances that do four different things!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKId3j1A96k

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 23, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

MasterFugu posted:

sur la table is not worth it

Unless you work in the industry, then you get a decent discount. They're actually pretty awesome if there's nothing like an AceMart around.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Went to go pick up my Brooklyn Butcher Block yesterday.

I love it :3:

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

^^^^^^
Wow, utterly gorgeous! What kind of wood is it?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BerkerkLurk posted:

I had a suspicion the dough I was using was too thick, I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!
Bless anyone who wants to make it the traditional way, but it looks like a pain in the rear end to me.

Potato ricer.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Gilgameshback posted:

^^^^^^
Wow, utterly gorgeous! What kind of wood is it?

Cherry. The guy said he doesn't often get cherries that are this dark when they start out. So hopefully it'll get even more deep red :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

^^^^^^
I'm totally jelly.

Here are some CHEF'S KNIFE RECOMMENDATIONS, for those who are bored with the excellent, inexpensive Victorinox chef's knives:

Sabatier Nogent Chef's Knife

Sabatier is a very old French knife brand. It's so old that it predates French copyright law, so pretty much anyone can make a Sabatier branded knife - there are some awful Sabatier knives out there. Four Star/Elephant Sabatier knives are actually made in Thiers, France, and are of high quality.

The Nogent style is a very old-fashioned, very French way of making a knife, including a rivetless ebony handle and a very small bolster. The Nogents sold at this link are supposedly made from pre-war steel blanks, which may be a plus or a minus.

They're definitely carbon steel, so they need a little extra attention. I got a ten inch chef knife and have found it to be light and delightful to use, and easy to sharpen (it was not particularly sharp out of the box, but the steel will take a good edge). Mine is starting to develop a nice patina, but if you don't like patina you can scrub it off with baking soda.

Messermeister Meridian Elite

This is a modern, German stainless knife, very similar to the Wusthofs and Henkels of the world. The Meridian series has no bolster, which is nice because it allows for a more comfortable grip and lets you sharpen the entire edge. Messermeister claims that this is the sharpest German knife on the market, and that may be true - the edge has a 15 degree angle, like many Japanese knives. Well-balanced, and extremely sharp out of the box. Messermeister will sharpen these knives for the cost of shipping. I haven't tried that with mine yet.

Tojiro ITK Shirogami Gyuto

This is a pretty cheap knife and it shows - it's very rough and handmade in person. It's also well-balanced and extremely sharp out of the box. This is a really fun knife to use, it's very light and I found the totally unfinished wood handle quite comfortable. It's carbon steel and it begins to rust and patina very, very quickly. This might make it impractical for an actual kitchen pro. It is also extremely Japanese looking, which means you can hang it next to your wall scrolls and body pillows without disturbing the wabi-sabi.

Gilgameshback fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 25, 2012

• Locked thread