Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

7. North by Northwest: I've seen the middle of this one, but not the beginning or the end.

Go with this one.

Bringing Up Baby - The way the story played out in this film was clever I guess if you forget that what you're watching is pretty inconceivable. Susan (Katharine Hepburn) was annoying at first but eventually I found her more tolerable. The same goes for David (Cary Grant). I wish he would just tone it down in these comedic films. He's starting to drive me nuts with his acting. Ever since I saw the nightmarish film known as "His Girl Friday" I've had an apprehension to anything he's been in.

The film had some funny moments involving the dog known as "George" and the end too.

also watched:

The Intouchables - I'm always a little skeptical of the newer films from the IMDb list but this one was entertaining. The two leads have a lot of chemistry and it made for a good odd couple/buddy story kind of film. Their voltaic energy leads to a lot of laugh out loud moments. Both Philippe and Driss gave each other things they needed that no one else could've given to them.

There were a decent amount of cultural references I was unaware of so I did a lot of googling after this one.

Solaris - This seems like the most accessible film I've seen by Tarkovsky thus far. Maybe it's because I've seen and read more stories that were similar to it in the past. I was reminded of the premise of Forbidden Planet (a planet that humans are unable to control). Also the character interactions and their ordinary interactions with extraordinary technologies reminded me of The Space Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra and That Hideous Strength). Watching this film, along with Stalker, felt like reading a sci-fi novel.

Hari was an interesting character in that she had a dilemma I can't recall seeing on film before. The closest I could recall was David in A.I. Artificial Intelligence and various characters in The 6th Day. Kris, the husband who has conjured up a neutrino version of his wife (Hari), becomes disturbed and rids himself of her by sending her off in a rocket. I found that scene simultaneously humorous and disturbing.

Some technologies in the film stuck out. At this point we finally have Skype TV, which is a realization that people have been fantasizing about for a long time. It's something I've seen in a few other films and we've reached that watershed moment. I could be mistaken but during that driving sequence was Burton in a driverless car? It seemed like he was just staring off into space. I remember someone lamenting this scene in a review. They said that it was twenty minutes long and had no dialogue. However, I checked and that part only lasts ~4.5 minutes.

Anyway, society at large will improve greatly once that technology becomes a practical reality. Google's driverless car program has logged nearly 500,000 miles of driving without having any self-inflicted accidents or mishaps*. One can easily extrapolate those safety numbers and see that car accidents will become extremely rare if the technology is ever adopted by the mainstream. Many other benefits as well.

*there have been a couple due to human error.

side notes:

-I was confused as to why the film kept switching between B/W and color. Did I miss something obvious?

-As I was watching the film I wondered what I would conjure up if I was stuck on a planet like Solaris.

-Also, I noticed a lot of widescreen CRT monitors. Did people use those back in the 60s and 70s?

IMDb list:

new #242 Rio Bravo - Another lauded western that I don't know anything about. 9/6/12

new #244 The Untouchables - I just watched The Intouchables so maybe it's time. 9/6/12

#246 Elite Squad: The Enemy Within - The first one was very violent and aimless. Almost nihilistic but still with a veneer of perverted justice that may appeal to an authoritarian. I just hope this one doesn't have more broom rapings. 6/16/12

Academy Award for Best Picture:

1963 Tom Jones - He has some catchy songs: She's a Lady, Sex Bomb, What's New Pussycat?, It's Not Unusual. 6/16/12

1959 Ben-Hur - At one point I thought I'd seen all of this on TV but reading about it it's clear I probably didn't. Might be time. 8/23/12

1958 Gigi - I heard this was creepy. 8/23/12

1956 Around the World in 80 Days - Always got this confused with "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" in my head. 8/31/12

new 1953 From Here to Eternity - I can picture the movie poster. 9/6/12

Procrastination list:

#17 Barren Lives AKA Vidas Secas - I recommended this for someone at some point. 7/17/12

#20 Legend - I remember seeing some of this at a very young age and being terrified/mesmerized by some of the scenes. i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksk7wPX-MI4 :stare: 8/27/12

Zogo fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Zogo posted:

1958 Gigi - I heard this was creepy. 8/23/12

Because of the ones on your list I've seen I wouldn't really put anyone through willingly (not that they're bad, just no great shakes) & I really want to read your review of this.

Someone asked if it was okay to skip a film a few posts ago and it seemed okay so I am going to ask for a rain-check on Gone With the Wind which was chosen for me in February & I've just not been able to get through despite repeated attempts. I'd also like to take Intolerance off my list as I envisage the same sort of problem. They were both part of my first 10 selected & I have honed what kind of films that should be here since then - if I ever get around to watching them I'll be sure to leave a wee comment here.

I did watch La Grande Illusion & thought it was a wonderful picture, I'm usually not really into prison camp/war films - especially older ones but Renoir kept that strong humanist message throughout & cleverly commented on class being the thing that separates us, not countries. I really loved The Rules of the Game & although I probably would recommend that first I still think this is in the same league. I thought the performances were very strong, I really liked von Stoheim - and the characters were all memorable. Class!

22. Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922, Benjamin Christensen)
Seems a very interesting film, some creepy screen-caps have been about all I know of it's imagery but it's definitely strange to me that a film about the history of witchcraft was made at this time.

27. Rebecca (1940, Alfred Hitchcock)
Yet another Hitchcock, still got a hell of a lot to get through.

28. The Wages of Fear (1953, Henri-Georges Clouzot)
It definitely sounds different, anyway. Not seen enough foreign-language films especially from this era.

30. Some Like It Hot (1959, Billy Wilder)
I love pretty much everything Billy Wilder has touched but yet to see this one (which is probably his most famous - hence the shame).

31. Rebel Without a Cause (1955, Nicolas Ray)
I haven't seen any James Dean pictures!

32. Manhattan (1979, Woody Allen)
I've been working my way through most of Woody Allen's films since last year, loving them all.

33. MASH (1970, Robert Altman)
I remember not really liking that the TV show was on Comedy Central all the time instead of Fresh Prince, then it got even worse when it was on a legit copy of my special edition Batman Begins DVD instead of Batman Begins - and it was too late to return it. But yeah, it has a lot to make up for.

34. Persona (1966, Ingmar Bergman)
I breezed through a Bergman box-set at the start of the year and would love to pull the thread a little more - enjoyed pretty much everything he's done so far.

35. Brief Encounter (1945, David Lean)
Some good old British romance, these type of movies always surprise me & I don't know if that's just because I'm so ignorant & assuming or they generally surprise everyone with a few more ingredients thrown in that you weren't expecting.

36. Days of Heaven (1978, Terrence Malick)
Yep, I want to have another slot to work through a directors films & Malick is so hot right now!

No More Shame:
7. Rashômon - 8/10, 3. The 39 Steps - 8/10, 9. The Killing - 9/10, 6. Citizen Kane - 8/10, 11. Godzilla - 7/10, 8. A Streetcar Named Desire - 9/10, 5. The Grapes of Wrath - 9/10, 13. The Passion of Joan of Arc - 8/10, 17. Stagecoach - 7/10, 19. Sullivan's Travels - 5/10, 12. Un Chien Andalou - 8/10, 21. It Happened One Night - 6/10, 10. Ben-Hur - 4/10, 18. The Public Enemy - 6/10, 23. La Strada - 7/10, 20. The Thin Man - 7/10, 15. Shadow of a Doubt - 8/10, 24. The Red Shoes - 8/10, 26. The Lady from Shanghai - 7/10, 14. Battleship Potemkin - 8/10, 16. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - 7/10, 2. Destiny - 7/10, 29. The 400 Blows - 8/10, 25. La Grande Illusion - 8/10.

SHAMED FOREVER (Rain-Checked):
1. Intolerence (1916, D.W. Griffith)
4. Gone With the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

BisonDollah posted:

Someone asked if it was okay to skip a film a few posts ago and it seemed okay so I am going to ask for a rain-check on Gone With the Wind which was chosen for me in February & I've just not been able to get through despite repeated attempts. I'd also like to take Intolerance off my list as I envisage the same sort of problem. They were both part of my first 10 selected & I have honed what kind of films that should be here since then - if I ever get around to watching them I'll be sure to leave a wee comment here.

You know you can watch Intolerance for free on youtube in pretty high quality?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU1UOrKTrs8

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

penismightier posted:

3 hour silent movie?

:suicide:

That channel has hundreds of free movies... and I can't find one that looks interesting.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

escape artist posted:

3 hour silent movie?

:suicide:

That channel has hundreds of free movies... and I can't find one that looks interesting.

You're not looking hard enough.

M, Night of the Living Dead, Berlin Symphony of a City, Shame aka The Intruder, This is Korea, those Chaplin shorts, Alexander Nevsky, The Man with the Golden Arm, Young and Innocent, Nosferatu, The Lodger, Ivan the Terrible, The Quiet One, White Zombie, and Zero De Conduite are all drat near essential viewing, and that's just from the first few pages.

And Night Tide, Warning from Space, Werewolf of Washington, and Horror Express are all fun as hell.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

penismightier posted:

You're not looking hard enough.

M, Night of the Living Dead, Berlin Symphony of a City, Shame aka The Intruder, This is Korea, those Chaplin shorts, Alexander Nevsky, The Man with the Golden Arm, Young and Innocent, Nosferatu, The Lodger, Ivan the Terrible, The Quiet One, White Zombie, and Zero De Conduite are all drat near essential viewing, and that's just from the first few pages.

And Night Tide, Warning from Space, Werewolf of Washington, and Horror Express are all fun as hell.

I didn't see M or Night of the Living Dead on there... I'm a fan of both of those movies. I'll check out some of the others, too. Didn't see Ivan the Terrible or Nosferatu either. You're right, I wasn't looking hard enough. I just saw a ratio of 3:1, with 3 movies relating to Hitler for every 1 movie that didn't.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

penismightier posted:

Werewolf of Washington

Oh my God

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Check out Days of Heaven.

I said Blue Velvet was my first Lynch film but that was wrong; I had seen Dune before! And actually enjoyed it. But that is a story for another time. Blue Velvet itself was wonderful. The happy ending through me for a bit of a loop although I'm not really sure why. The movie is overwhelming in detail when it comes to stuff to think about (noir is really good for this, I find) and the only thing that stands out to me now is that Jeffrey always ordered a sandwich and a Coke at the diner but never touched it, while Sandy always drank her Coke. I don't know why that stood out. It just did.

1) The Lady Vanishes (1938) - But where does she vanish to? Of Hitchcock I think I've only seen Rear Window!

2) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

3) Rififi (1955) - I hear that this is a very good noir film.

4) The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - How can anyone know too much?! That's ridiculous.

5) Last Year at Marienbad (1961) - I know nothing of this film.

6) Midnight Cowboy (1968) - Well gee I just love cowboys! Can't wait to see a bunch of people riding around on horses with their sixshooters a firin' off!

7) Nostalghia (1983) - Let's get some Tarkovsky up in this list.

8) Unforgiven (1986) - As I write this sentence this movie is topical because Clint Eastwood just did... something at the Republican National Convention.

9) 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007) - I've seen... two? Romanian films and enjoyed them both, so based on statistic extrapolation, I will enjoy every Romanian film.

10) Waltz with Bashir (2008) - I've heard good stuff.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), 8 1/2 (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Raising Arizona (77), Boyz n the Hood (76)

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

penismightier posted:

Very cool, the quality is great. I'm just not in the mood for long-rear end movies right now (well, for the past 6 months) hence the three new additions to my Shame List being an hour and a half or shorter - I hate breaking films up into two viewings & because I mostly only get a chance to watch at night I have a bad habit of falling asleep mid-long-rear end movie! BUT Bookmarked all the same, thanks man.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

BisonDollah posted:

Very cool, the quality is great. I'm just not in the mood for long-rear end movies right now (well, for the past 6 months) hence the three new additions to my Shame List being an hour and a half or shorter - I hate breaking films up into two viewings & because I mostly only get a chance to watch at night I have a bad habit of falling asleep mid-long-rear end movie! BUT Bookmarked all the same, thanks man.

Doesn't that kind of totally defeat the purpose of this thread?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

penismightier posted:

Doesn't that kind of totally defeat the purpose of this thread?

It means I get to play again after half a year of being bummed out by the thought of Gone With the Wind! As I said, my first ten movies were a bit idealistic & since then I've honed my taste & will approach this thread with a more savvy attitude. I've kept both movies on my posts just to announce my continued shame, thought that was keeping in the spirit of things whilst simultaneously producing a list of ten films I'm likely to hunt down and watch. Rainchecking should totally make people feel this shame I currently feel right now though. :(

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

BisonDollah posted:

It means I get to play again after half a year of being bummed out by the thought of Gone With the Wind! As I said, my first ten movies were a bit idealistic & since then I've honed my taste & will approach this thread with a more savvy attitude. I've kept both movies on my posts just to announce my continued shame, thought that was keeping in the spirit of things whilst simultaneously producing a list of ten films I'm likely to hunt down and watch. Rainchecking should totally make people feel this shame I currently feel right now though. :(

Dude just watch Gone with the Wind. Millions of people have done it. It won't kill you. Be a man.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

penismightier posted:

Dude just watch Gone with the Wind. Millions of people have done it. It won't kill you. Be a man.

:cry: But then when it finishes it'll be 8am! :cry:

When I do I want you to make a big deal out of it, that's the only way I'll ever get around to watching Greed.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

If it makes you feel any better, there's a big time jump after the intermission so if you pause it there and finish tomorrow you can just pretend you're experiencing the course of the war.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

BisonDollah posted:

There's nothing wrong with breaking a movie into multiple viewings. What I find helps when dividing a movie up is recognizing when an act of a movie ends. For example, if you know a movie is 2 hours long, and there's a really quiet scene about 80-90 minutes in, you can pause there and watch the third act later.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Hollywoodland... bluh. It was picked with the caveat that the Brody stuff sucks but the Affleck stuff is good. That's true, unfortunately there's a lot of Brody stuff. I spent as much time checking the clock as watching the screen. Throw it some points because Affleck and Hoskins are great, but man this was a slog.

TychoCelchuuu, enjoy Unforgiven (which is actually from 1992).

New list:

The Whole Shootin' Match This is another one of those ones that I'm really intrigued by but somehow am never in the mood for.

The Indian Fighter Need a kick in the rear end here.

Who'll Stop the Rain? I hear this is basically a better version of Cutter's Way?

Senso Always up for a melodrama.

new: Fish Tank Fassbender?

My Brother's Wedding So there's a director's cut that's like a half hour shorter? Which should I see?

The Masseurs And A Woman I've been hankering for '30s Japanese films lately.

Boxing Gym I try and keep up with Wiseman, but his films are not easy to sit down and watch.

Blue Valentine Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams are both so awesome.

How I Won the War Lennon and Lester.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10), The Old Dark House (7.5/10), The Tarnished Angels (8/10), Ordet (9/10), Pigs and Battleships (8/10), The Naked City (8/10), The Ninth Configuration (4/10), Sling Blade (8.5/10), Le Trou (8.5/10), I Know Where I'm Going! (7.5/10), The Hangover (7.5/10), Body Heat (7.5/10), Night Moves (8.5/10), The Earrings of Madame De... (8/10), Toto, Peppino, e la Malafemmina (7/10), Short Cuts (9/10), The Mystery of Picasso (8/10), The Wisdom of Crocodiles (6.5/10), To Be or Not to Be (9/10), Barfly (5.5/10), Billy Liar (8/10), Hana-bi (7.5/10), The Fighter (8/10), Cop Land (8/10), Cairo Station (8.5/10), Beware of a Holy Whore (8/10) That Obscure Object of Desire (8.5/10), The Structure of Crystals (8.5/10), Farewell, My Lovely (8/10), The Blue Angel (7.5.10), Amadeus (8/10), A Time to Love and a Time to Die (8.5/10), Mike's Murder (8/10), I Saw the Devil (7/10), Advise and Consent (8/10), Little Man, What Now? (8.5/10), Outrage (7.5/10), Electra Glide in Blue (8/10), Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (8/10), The Man from Nowhere (7/10), Apocalypto (8/10), Deep Red (8/10), The Darjeeling Limited (7/10), The Last Emperor (7.5/10), The Dead (8.5/10), Black Narcissus (8/10), Szerelem (8/10), The Passion of the Christ (8/10), Rumble Fish (8/10), Ils (6/10), Man's Castle (8/10), Antarctic Journal (6.5/10), Rango (8.5/10), Montenegro (8.5/10), Hammett (7.5/10), Hollywoodland (6/10)

Total: 155
Best: All That Heaven Allows
Worst: Harold and Maude

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

penismightier posted:

TychoCelchuuu, enjoy Unforgiven (which is actually from 1992).
Whoops! Left the Blue Velvet date on there.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
A western for a western: watch The Indian Fighter.

Enjoyed Unforgiven about as much as I enjoy any good western, which is quite a bit. All I really knew going into it was that it was violent and that it wasn't your average western - I guess people are either overplaying both of those aspects or I got the wrong idea from what people were saying. It's not that it wasn't violent or that it didn't sort of switch up the formula a bit compared to, say, The Indian Fighter or any other classic American western, but really it just seems like Unforgiven is on one end of a spectrum rather than in a category of its own. The cynicism, brutality, and moral ambiguity is hardly absent from westerns, spaghetti and classic American alike. They aren't quite as cynical or as brutal or as morally ambiguous, or at least not often, but Unforgiven didn't strike me as anything revelatory.

It's still a wonderfully made film, though, with some beautiful shots and generally great direction. All of the gunfights, especially the one at the end, were fantastic, particularly when it came to the pacing.

Since everyone seems to love the gently caress out of it this is one that I'll definitely have to watch again at some point to see if I was missing anything.

1) The Lady Vanishes (1938) - But where does she vanish to? Of Hitchcock I think I've only seen Rear Window!

2) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

4) The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - How can anyone know too much?! That's ridiculous.

5) Touch of Evil (1958) - Is this like Touched by an Angel?

6) Last Year at Marienbad (1961) - I know nothing of this film.

7) Midnight Cowboy (1968) - Well gee I just love cowboys! Can't wait to see a bunch of people riding around on horses with their sixshooters a firin' off!

8) Nostalghia (1983) - Let's get some Tarkovsky up in this list.

9) 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007) - I've seen... two? Romanian films and enjoyed them both, so based on statistic extrapolation, I will enjoy every Romanian film.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), 8 1/2 (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Raising Arizona (77), Boyz n the Hood (76)

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

TychoCelchuuu posted:

7) Midnight Cowboy (1968) - Well gee I just love cowboys! Can't wait to see a bunch of people riding around on horses with their sixshooters a firin' off!

Ugetsu, based upon an ancient story collection, has an obvious allegorical rhythm that despite it's semi predictability maintains a charming and entertaining run-time. Though acted well enough I always felt at a slight distance from the film and it's characters though, they portrayed archetypes more than actual people, perhaps this was the downfall of using a more archaic source. It's an extremely competent film, but ultimately somewhat forgettably lives in the shadow of other great Japanese films of the period.

LIST OF SHAME:
1.Au Revoir Les Enfants: Continuing with French films.

2.Melancholia: Interested in Lars von Trier's latest

3.Faraway, So Close! Wing's of Desire really left it's mark on me, time to see it's sequel.

4.Raising Arizona: I love the Coens and know next to nothing about his film.

5.Mother: Continuing with South Korean films.

6.*NEW*Burmese Harp More classic Japanese cinema!

7.Three Outlaw Samurai: 60s Samurai films...just something about them.

8.*OLDEST*The Goddess: More Satyajit Ray.

9.Les Cousins: Claude Chabrol's next film after Le Beau Serge.

10.The Cranes are Flying: I haven't seen enough Kalatozov.

37 Watched: Masculin Feminin, Les Diaboliques, The World of Apu, Stalag 17, Wings of Desire, Island of Lost Souls, Dogville, Wages of Fear, The Phantom Carriage, I am Cuba, Twilight Samurai, Andrei Rublev, Curse of the Jade Scorpion, Orpheus, Blue, Mean Streets, Fanny and Alexander, White, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, The Conversation, Le Beau Serge, Memories of a Murder, Tokyo Twilight, Red, 3 Women, Y Tu Mama Tambien, Gone with the Wind, Schindler's List, Cul-de-Sac, All About Eve, Once upon a Time in the West, The Virgin Spring, A Streetcar Named Desire, Army of Shadows, Le Cercle Rouge, Letter Never Sent, Ugetsu

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You get Au Revoir Les Enfants.

Midnight Cowboy: super depressing! Dustin Hoffman coughs convincingly. I'm glad everyone's past was left ambiguous, especially when they could've used those dumb flashbacks to make things explicit.

6) Vertigo (1958) - Now that this is the best movie I should probably watch it.

7) Last Year at Marienbad (1961) - I know nothing of this film.

8) Nostalghia (1983) - Let's get some Tarkovsky up in this list.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), 8 1/2 (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Raising Arizona (77), Boyz n the Hood (76)

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
TychoCelchuuu, go with Vertigo.

EDIT: I forgot my review.

North by Northwest was quite excellent, but it did have some large plotholes, and I found the relationship between Grant and Saint to be somewhat unconvincing due to the age difference. The suspense in this was really good though, and this is one of Hitchcock's finest.

The List of Shame

1. A Bridge too Far: I hear it's really good. I might be thinking of The Bridge on the River Kwai though

2. The Town: I've heard it's a good crime movie.

3. The Towering Inferno: No reason for not watching it yet. I guess I just haven't been in the mood. I haven't actually seen any 70s disaster movie, so this may be a good place to start.

4. True Grit (1969): I have seen the re-make, but I haven't watched the original yet. I received this as a christmas gift last year in my work's secret santa.

5. The Godfather part 3: I've heard mixed reviews of this one, with some people hating it, and others saying that it's good, but the bar was set too high with it's predecessors. I'd like to make my own judgement.

6. Leon: The Professional:I don't know much about this one, aside from it having tons of acclaim.

7. M: I watched Metropolis recently. I don't normally like silent films, but it was really good. I want to see some Frtiz Lang with sound.

8. Citizen Kane: Yup, one of the other big ones that no shame list should be complete without.

9. Double Indemnity: This sounds like something I'd enjoy.

10. Paths of Glory: One of the few Kubrick films I haven't seen, and it's not on the box set I bought a few months ago.

CopywrightMMXI fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 10, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Go for Double Indemnity.

I don't think Vertigo is the best movie. I enjoyed it, although much of the first part really didn't interest me at all. Aside from enjoying how the movie used green, I was largely unengaged until the psychobilly freakout and Jimmy Stewart's subsequent descent into obsession and madness. After that point it was pretty great but nothing mindblowing. I liked Rear Window more, at least. Great ending though. That gave me chills. I think I'm maybe not so much a huge fan of adults falling madly in love like a couple of high schoolers and then proceeding to neck like a couple of high schoolers, especially when one of the adults has gray hair and is old enough to know better but whatever. I'm really interesting in knowing why so many people love it enough for it to end up #1 on Sight and Sound.

6) Last Year at Marienbad (1961) - I know nothing of this film.

7) Nostalghia (1983) - Let's get some Tarkovsky up in this list.

8) Hard Eight (1996) - This thread gave me There Will Be Blood, which I enjoyed, so I think I'll be going through Paul Thomas Anderson chronologically, because I haven't see any of his other movies.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), 8 1/2 (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Raising Arizona (77), Boyz n the Hood (76)

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
Tycho, check out Touch Of Evil. An awesome noir with arguably the best opening sequence in film history. Enjoy.

I haven't posted in this thread since March because I'm lazy and horrible at stuff, anyway I'm back now and I can check two off of my list.

M was every bit as awesome as I expected it to be. Fritz never disappoints, and he certainly didn't here. I loved Lorre's insanely creepy performance. Beautifully shot, paced well, just fantastic.

The Hudsucker Proxy was so, so good. I have now seen every Coen bros film and this one certainly ranks among some of their best. The art direction is simply stunning. Love the whole Art Deco look. As usual, there is a wonderful attention to detail, especially in the sets and props. Everything is period accurate and looks amazing. Jennifer Jason Leigh is fantastic! I wish she acted more these days. Mostly I loved how she uses the cheesy "1920's reporter" voice. What a pleasure.

The shame:

1. Rashomon - I have mixed feelings about Kurosawa but I know this is supposed to be one of his best

2. Fallen Angels - I'm a huge Wong Kar Wai fan, and currently living in Hong Kong so why not?

3. Amadeus - Have wanted to watch this for ages and I love classical music.

4. City Lights - Never seen a Chaplin film. Yeah, I know.

5. New Thirst - I love Chan Wook Park and have been meaning to watch this for a while.

6. The Exterminating Angel - Never seen a Bunel before.

7. New Blow Out - Has been sitting on my shelf for a while but hasn't been watched yet.

8. Rope - Love Hitchcock but for some reason have never seen this.

9. Scanners - I've heard its not great but my intense love for Cronenberg keeps calling me back.

10. Dr. Zhivago - A true classic that I would really like to watch sometime.

Shameless:
The Seven Samurai, The Graduate, The Conversation, A Fistful of Dollars, Paths of Glory, M, The Hudsucker Proxy

electricsugar fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 12, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Watch The Exterminating Angel.

Touch of Evil is such a strange movie. I watched the "rejiggered to try to match Welles' notes on the recut movie the studio made" so maybe that added some weirdness, but I'm not so sure. The amount of humor in there is very interesting, even if you don't find the reefer madness stuff adorably and laughably anachronistic. In the end I think the characters were too much cardboard cutout and not enough depth for me to really fall in love with it, although visually it was entrancing, and that ending scene was gripping.

5) Last Year at Marienbad (1961) - I know nothing of this film.

6) Nostalghia (1983) - Let's get some Tarkovsky up in this list.

7) Hard Eight (1996) - This thread gave me There Will Be Blood, which I enjoyed, so I think I'll be going through Paul Thomas Anderson chronologically, because I haven't see any of his other movies.

8) 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007) - I've seen... two? Romanian films and enjoyed them both, so based on statistic extrapolation, I will enjoy every Romanian film.

9) The Brothers Bloom (2008) - Brick is one of my favorite movies of all time, and Rian Johnson's next, Looper, is coming soon, so I really have no excuse for not having seen this already.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), 8 1/2 (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Raising Arizona (77), Boyz n the Hood (76)

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

TychoCelchuuu, go with Rififi.

Double indemnity: Thanks for making me add another movie to my must-buylist goons! This was really well done, and I would actually place this ahead of Sunset Boulevard for best Noir ever. The cast interacted so well. Is this one of the first movies where a villain is the protagonist? This was very Breaking Bad-esque where I found myself wanting our main character to get what was coming to him, but also felt suspense when anyone was on to him.

The List of Shame

1. A Bridge too Far: I hear it's really good. I might be thinking of The Bridge on the River Kwai though

2. The Town: I've heard it's a good crime movie.

3. The Towering Inferno: No reason for not watching it yet. I guess I just haven't been in the mood. I haven't actually seen any 70s disaster movie, so this may be a good place to start.

4. True Grit (1969): I have seen the re-make, but I haven't watched the original yet. I received this as a christmas gift last year in my work's secret santa.

5. The Godfather part 3: I've heard mixed reviews of this one, with some people hating it, and others saying that it's good, but the bar was set too high with it's predecessors. I'd like to make my own judgement.

6. Leon: The Professional:I don't know much about this one, aside from it having tons of acclaim.

7. M: I watched Metropolis recently. I don't normally like silent films, but it was really good. I want to see some Frtiz Lang with sound.

8. Citizen Kane: Yup, one of the other big ones that no shame list should be complete without.

9. Paths of Glory: One of the few Kubrick films I haven't seen, and it's not on the box set I bought a few months ago.

10. Wall-E: I skipped a lot of animated films during the 2000s, and i'm slowly catching up.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Copyright, you've got a few good ones. I'll say go with M.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was a fasinating movie. It was delightfully mind-screwy and took a while to figure out, but it all made sense in the end. I loved the relationships between the characters. I probably should have guessed Mary had had her memories erased, but it managed to sneak up on me. I can't think of anything negative to say- it was a great science fiction movie, an introspection on the value of memories, and thoroughly original.

Rating: 4/4

61. A Streetcar Named Desire- The other big Marlon Brando. I have to remember that, unlike the Simpsons's version, this is not a musical.

63. Bonnie and Clyde- Popular culture portrays this as a light buddy comedy/ heist movie. Then, the other day I read Ebert's review, and it surprised me how dark it apparently was. Maybe it's not as shocking forty-five years later, but I'm curious.

66. Dr. Zhivago- For the historical epic slot, we move from sand to snow. Also, more WWI, this time from the Russian perspective, which I like even more.

67. Goldfinger- Another action franchise I've never seen. This is supposed to best exemplify the classic Bond movies, so I'll give it a try. I'm expecting goofy but fun. I like old Sean Connery, so let's see how young Sean Connery is.

70. Leon: The Professional- I really have no idea what this is, but apparently Gary Oldman is the villain. Sold.

72. The Rapture- 1991 movie about the dark side of an already pretty dark heresy. This sounds right up my aisle.

73. Safety Last- Silent comedy by a guy who's not Chaplin- Lloyd? Keaton? Pretty sure it's one of them.

74. 8 1/2 or La Dolce Vita- Never seen a Fellini film. I seem to recall people on this thread saying you should watch one of these before the other- which one first?

75. Tokyo Story- What is this? I have no idea what this is, but I keep seeing it on best of lists.

76. Adaptation- This is the other Charlie Kaufman picture I've heard of.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 14, 2012

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jurgan posted:

72. The Rapture- 1991 movie about the dark side of an already pretty dark heresy. This sounds right up my aisle.

I'll pick this since I doubt many in the thread have seen it. It has some pretty amazing scenes.

edit: Also, just my opinion, I'd recommend watching La Strada and Nights of Cabiria before either of those in your #74 slot. I watched 8 1/2 as my first Fellini film and was confused. Based on all I've seen now I think 8 1/2 should be one of the last of his to be seen. Not sure if others would feel the same way.

Gigi - Set in 1900 France, this is a film about a girl growing up. I can't say I enjoyed it too much. Watching the film felt like diligently reading through Emily Post's book on etiquette. "Wait for the first-class jewels, Gigi."

There's also an older uncle that keeps popping up and breaking the fourth wall. There are some unique things throughout the film (singing narration). There are tons of colorful costumes and also a ton of long conversations that I didn't care about. Gigi herself seemed like a middle-class Eliza Doolittle.

I couldn't figure out Gaston's actions at all. The amount of waffling that went on between all the characters was ridiculous and each successive "waffle" (heh) was seemingly less comprehensible. So many of the characters interactions teetered across boring plastic conversations as well.

To put it simply, watching this film was like watching aliens perform My Fair Lady.

IMDb list:

new #226 In the Name of the Father - Something about a trial gone awry? Has a film poster that looks similar to "The Doors" film poster. I'm getting close to finishing the IMDb top 250. Seems like I'll never do it. 9/14/12

#242 Rio Bravo - Another lauded western that I don't know anything about. 9/6/12

#244 The Untouchables - I just watched The Intouchables so maybe it's time. 9/6/12

#246 Elite Squad: The Enemy Within - The first one was very violent and aimless. Almost nihilistic but still with a veneer of perverted justice that may appeal to an authoritarian. I just hope this one doesn't have more broom rapings. 6/16/12

Academy Award for Best Picture:

1963 Tom Jones - He has some catchy songs: She's a Lady, Sex Bomb, What's New Pussycat?, It's Not Unusual. 6/16/12

1959 Ben-Hur - At one point I thought I'd seen all of this on TV but reading about it it's clear I probably didn't. Might be time. 8/23/12

1956 Around the World in 80 Days - Always got this confused with "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" in my head. 8/31/12

1953 From Here to Eternity - I can picture the movie poster. 9/6/12

Procrastination list:

#17 Barren Lives AKA Vidas Secas - I recommended this for someone at some point. 7/17/12

#20 Legend - I remember seeing some of this at a very young age and being terrified/mesmerized by some of the scenes. i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksk7wPX-MI4 :stare: 8/27/12

Zogo fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 15, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Zogo posted:

#244 The Untouchables - I just watched The Intouchables so maybe it's time. 9/6/12

Watch this. It's an exciting film and has a great cast. It's not spectacular, but it is quite good. I always have to watch it when I catch it on TV.

Funny you should say what you did about Fellini in your post, because I just watched my first film by him:
8 1/2. It took about 1/4 of the way to get into it, but holy poo poo. It was just phenomenal. This is high art. Beautiful, funny, poignant. Probably my favorite movie I've seen from this thread, and in my top 5 of all-time. I gotta give Fellini a slot on my list, indefinitely, because that was just so good.

List:
Aguirre: The Wrath of God - I don't even know much about this but I keep seeing it pop up on everyone's list, and it's getting rave reviews, so I want to see it.

Chinatown - One of Nicholson's finest, and always ranked among the top movies ever. I need to see it.

Dr. Zhivago - The length of the movie has indefinitely postponed my viewing of it.

The Elephant Man One of the few by Lynch I haven't seen

La Strada Need. More. Fellini.

Mother - Need to watch some more from South Korea. Only have seen Oldboy and Memories of Murder, but they were both great.

Notorious - Hitchcock and Cary Grant? Yes please.

Some Like It Hot - Haven't seen it? It's supposed to be "the funniest movie of all time" according to the AFI.

The Wild Bunch - Not a huge fan of Westerns, but I am a huge Deadwood fan, so that's sort of paradoxical. Go figure. I'm keeping this as my Western slot, since there are at least a half a dozen classic Westerns I need to see, just because they have become such a part of the cinematic canon.

Zelig I've only seen a couple of Woody Allen films, so I think I might give him a slot on my list for a few films.

Un-shamed: 12 Angry Men, 8½, The Big Chill, Citizen Kane, Fargo, The Fly, Ikiru, Koyaanisqatsi, M, North By Northwest, Once Upon a Time in America, Peeping Tom, Ran, Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal, Sunset Blvd, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (17 films)

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

escape artist, I wouldn't call Some Like It Hot the funniest movie of all time, but it's pretty good.

Twelve Monkeys was pretty good. I'm a sucker for time travel and protagonists questioning reality. Brad Pitt was pretty entertaining in this too.

The List:

1. Oklahoma!: I am not big on musicals at all but I live in Oklahoma and have been told that it is some kind of crime against humanity that I haven't seen this.

2. Rain Man: I've caught bits and pieces of this on TV but I've never actually seen the whole thing.

3. Double Indemnity: I guess I should see a proper noir at some point.

4. Superman: Superman was never really an interesting character to me, but this is culturally significant enough that I guess I need to see it.

5. Shane: Another essential western.

6. Casino: I've heard this is basically Goodfellas but with a casino.

7. The Deer Hunter: I've seen most of the big Vietnam movies, but not this one. All I know is that there's Russian Roulette in this.

8. The King's Speech: I borrowed this from the library a few weeks ago but the DVD was scratched and gave out halfway through. I liked what I did see, though.

NEW 9. Black Swan: I need more Aronofsky in my life.

10. Spartacus: One of the few Kubrick films I haven't seen.

Watched (17): Goodfellas, Rear Window, Rashomon, The Searchers, Lawrence of Arabia, American Psycho, The Usual Suspects, L.A. Confidential, Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in America, Blue Velvet, Schindler's List, Vertigo, First Blood, The Sting, Annie Hall, Twelve Monkeys

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

7. The Deer Hunter: I've seen most of the big Vietnam movies, but not this one. All I know is that there's Russian Roulette in this.

It's great. Walken, De Niro, Streep, the late, great John Cazale. It's a must-watch. First act is pretty slow, but stick with it. That's my revenge for you picking Once Upon A Time in America ;) They're both great, they both take their sweet rear end time to pick up momentum.

By the way, I'm suffering from insomnia, so I just watched:
Some Like It Hot
Really enjoyable. A nice bit of levity from the usually morbidly serious movies that I watch in this thread. Really funny. Grabs you from the opening scene. Makes you laugh until the credits. Really fast-paced, so the 2 hours fly by. Good stuff. Billy Wilder has yet to disappoint me. And drat, Marilyn Monroe was hot.

List:
Aguirre: The Wrath of God - I don't even know much about this but I keep seeing it pop up on everyone's list, and it's getting rave reviews, so I want to see it.

Chinatown - One of Nicholson's finest, and always ranked among the top movies ever. I need to see it.

*new*Double Indemnity - More Billy Wilder.

Dr. Zhivago - The length of the movie has indefinitely postponed my viewing of it.

Mother - Need to watch some more from South Korea. Only have seen Oldboy and Memories of Murder, but they were both great.

The Wild Bunch - Not a huge fan of Westerns, but I am a huge Deadwood fan, so that's sort of paradoxical. Go figure. I'm keeping this as my Western slot, since there are at least a half a dozen classic Westerns I need to see, just because they have become such a part of the cinematic canon.

Zelig I've only seen a couple of Woody Allen films, so I think I might give him a slot on my list for a few films.

Un-shamed: 12 Angry Men, 8½, The Big Chill, Citizen Kane, Fargo, The Fly, Ikiru, Koyaanisqatsi, M, North By Northwest, Once Upon a Time in America, Peeping Tom, Ran, Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal, Some Like It Hot, Sunset Blvd, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (18 films)

escape artist fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 15, 2012

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

escape artist posted:

*new*Double Indemnity - More Billy Wilder.

I realize you just watched some Wilder but this movie is, like, the movie.

Throne of Blood: Ran is perhaps the only bleaker Kurosawa, though the distinction is simplistic. The players there are victims of pointless chaos (oddly enough it's truly the tale told by an idiot, even though that's a line from Macbeth), whereas Throne of Blood is a tragedy borne of foreboding fate, easily ignored but always just as deadly. The black-and-white composition in every single shot is just incredible; there are so many shades playing off one another that really make scenes pop. I don't think I've ever been so enamored with a Toshiro Mifune performance. His descent into a wild vortex of madness is brilliantly terrible. For me, this is top-tier Kurosawa. 90/100

1. The Double Life of Véronique: I don't know a lot about this other than that it's by Three Colors dude.

2. The Color of Pomegranites: Not much of an idea of what to expect here, but a trusted friend of mine recommends it with the highest esteem.

3. The Exterminating Angel: I figure I should probably maintain a healthy diet of classic surrealism on here if I want to have good street film cred.

4. Notorious: I may have seen this as a kid, but I remember nothing.

5. The Americanization of Emily: I want to get my Paddy on.

6. Aguirre: The Wrath of God: I feel pretty dumb about this one because I got about 45 minutes into it, loved it, and stopped for long forgotten but assuredly unjustified reasons.

7. L'Atalante: Bona-fide French classic.

8. La Dolce Vita: Sweet Christ, this is long.

9. The Battle of Algiers: I've neglected this one despite various recommendations from lots of trustworthy folk.

10. Red River: I'm pretty sure I've seen this, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about it.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday, The Wages of Fear, Rashomon, Stroszek, The French Connection, Singin' in the Rain, Cries and Whispers, Grand Illusion, Gaslight, Aliens, Wild Strawberries, Scenes from a Marriage, M, Tokyo Story, Blue Velvet, Nashville, The Great Dictator, Forbidden Planet, Satantango, The Apartment, Shane, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, Harakiri, Mulholland Dr., The Hidden Fortress, Three Colors: Blue, Nostalghia, Throne of Blood

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Kull the Conqueror posted:

6. Aguirre: The Wrath of God: I feel pretty dumb about this one because I got about 45 minutes into it, loved it, and stopped for long forgotten but assuredly unjustified reasons.

It's on my list, too. :v: You're lucky enough to get it first.

Glad you liked Throne of Blood. That was my first Kurosawa, and I rewatched it when it was on AMC recently after becoming familiar with Kurosawa and Mifune, so I agree about it being an enamoring performance by Mifune. I'll always have a special place in my heart for this movie.

Insomnia again tonight. My tranquilizers have stopped working. If it keeps up, this thread will be nothing but me recommending movies to people, and people recommending movies to me.

Just watched: Double Indemnity
Well, holy poo poo. I thought since the framing narrative was similar to Sunset Blvd, the only other Wilder noir I've seen, that it wouldn't be very tense or full of twists. But I was mistaken. The tension really amped up when the car wouldn't start at the murder scene, but eventually it did. I was on the edge of my seat for the rest of the movie, until "The End" showed up on the screen. I've now seen the top 3 noirs (according to IMDB) -- Sunset Blvd, M, and Double Indemnity, all because of this thread. And Double Indemnity, to me, is the best of them all. A must-see.

List:

*new*Amélie - Watched some of it when I was a young teen, but never got through it. Needless to say, my tastes are much more refined now, so it's time to give it a go.

Un-shamed: 12 Angry Men, 8½, The Big Chill, Citizen Kane, Double Indemnity, Fargo, The Fly, Ikiru, Koyaanisqatsi, M, North By Northwest, Once Upon a Time in America, Peeping Tom, Ran, Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal, Some Like It Hot, Sunset Blvd, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (19 films)

escape artist fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Sep 16, 2012

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

escape artist posted:

Well there you go.

Wanted to like Don't Look Backa lot more. A sort of domestic horror story about grief with a touch of the supernatural, sounds great and for half of it, it is great! Endless fascinating and quite wonderful when it is at it's most abstract with it's elaborate and intricate editing, and the dread atmosphere of the labyrinthine maze of tight streets and dark alleys of Venice. However it's amazingly dry and distant when it's not doing any of that, making it a painful slog to go through. Also can't quite decide if the ending is the greatest thing ever or the worst thing ever, or possibly both.

SHAME Part III:

:zombie:Vivre Sa Vie:zombie: Haven't been impressed with the little I seen so far from Godard.This has been here for so long, that I have changed my opinion on Godard.

Steamboat Bill, Jr. Quickly becoming a Buster Keaton convert.

Dancer in the Dark Lars von Trier

Caché(Hidden) Another from the pile of films I own but can't remember why.

L'atalante The highest rated(17) on the TSPDT list that I haven't seen yet.

Late Spring The recent S&S poll reminded me that I need to check out more Yasujiro Ozu.

The Leopard "He's three years old, gentle as a kitten, and likes dogs."

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country This is the final voyage of the Starship Enterprise...

Rome, Open City Early Italian Neo-Realism.

The Earrings of Madame de... This one comes with high praise.

Have watched so far 27 movies: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Fallen Angels, The Shop Around the Corner, La Strada, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Rescue Dawn, All About My Mother, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, The Long Goodbye, Vampyr, Mon Oncle, The Exterminating Angel, Jules et Jim, Sorcerer, The Darjeeling Limited, Close-up, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Host, Zelig, Koyaanisqatsi, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Last Picture Show, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, The Killer, Anatomy of a Murder, The Trouble with Harry, Don't Look Now

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Electronico6 posted:

L'atalante The highest rated(17) on the TSPDT list that I haven't seen yet.

Let's go ahead and knock this one off your list.

Just watched: Aguirre, The Wrath of God
Well, this one is top-notch, from the opening scene to the closing scene. The vastness of the land is depicted well by Herzog in the opening minutes, and the claustrophobic nature of the situation is soon after depicted just as well. Irony and treachery are consistent throughout this tragic film. Really just fantastic. A must-see. Aguirre's a loving mad man.

List:
Amélie - Watched some of it when I was a young teen, but never got through it. Needless to say, my tastes are much more refined now, so it's time to give it a go.

*new*Even Dwarfs Started Small Me want more Herzog.

Un-shamed: 12 Angry Men, 8½, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, The Big Chill, Citizen Kane, Double Indemnity, Fargo, The Fly, Ikiru, Koyaanisqatsi, M, North By Northwest, Once Upon a Time in America, Peeping Tom, Ran, Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal, Some Like It Hot, Sunset Blvd, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (20 films)

escape artist fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 17, 2012

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

escape artist posted:

Your description made this decision rather simple. You do need to see this, and it's also one of my favourites ever. Enjoy!

This is my first foray into doing this on SA. I mean we all do this on our own I'm sure, but it's nice to give myself the added motivation to get this weight of shame off my shoulders.

My most recent film to scratch off the list was
Dog Day Afternoon (4.5/5) - Pacino is absolutely outstanding here, and it is certainly contributed by the way this film is put together. Thelack of food and A/C hightens the tension and panic going on inside the bank, while the love and adoration Sonny (Pacino) receives from the crowds and media outside really offset each other in a great way. It's a roller coaster of emotion pouring out of Pacino from beginning to end. An incredible film and certainly worth rewatching.

LIST

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore - need to add a Scorsese film to get myself back on track in the "Pick a Director. Watch Every Movie." thread.

Aliens - having recently watched Alien, and absolutely loved it, I feel I should see the sequel sooner than later.

Blue Velvet - I've seen bits and pieces over the years (having no idea how it ends) but have never sat and watched it from start to finish. This needs to change.

The Bridge on the River Kwai - I have yet to watch a single Lean film, so I'm picking this one because I already own the bluray [picked it out for free when buying a PS3 bundle at Future Shop]

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - I have no idea why I haven't watched this yet. Listening to Michael Phillips on Filmspotting last week has had me re-interested in getting around to it.

Close-Up - Certified Copy was one of my favourites of the last couple years, and I need to see more Kiarostami.

Hiroshima, Mon Amour - I loved Last Year at Marienbad, and got through the devastating Night and Fog - this should be my next Resnais film.

The Hustler - It seems like a movie I'd love, yet just haven't got around to watching it.

La Dolce Vita - I loved 8 1/2, and I need more Fellini in my life.

The Leopard - blind bought this during a criterion B&N sale and just have yet to watch it - and I haven't really had any strong desire to bump it up to the top of my 'need to see' list. Adding it here for someone to change my mind.

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 18, 2012

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
^Watch Aliens. Although I myself wasn't a huge fan of those 2 movies, you'll probably enjoy it.

Just watched 400 blows. Wow, an old movie that's not 3 hours long?? Kind of liked the movie overall.

Network - Only am familiar with this thanks to that one famous scene.

Rain Man - Sounds like a real tearjerker.

12 Angry Men - How have I not seen this yet.

The Graduate - I think I saw bits of this on tv.

The Deer Hunter - Lengthy old war movie. Eh.

Brazil - ..I liked City of God?

Paths of Glory - Will Ferrell? Sounds interesting. (i'm joking)

Das Boot - Lengthy old german war movie. Eh.

2001: A Space Odyssey - Half hour long dialogue-less intro. Kubrick.

Once Upon a Time in America - So many gangster movies.

Not Al-Qaeda fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 18, 2012

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Just watched 400 blows. Wow, an old movie that's not 3 hours long?? Kind of liked the movie overall.

Well, what did you like about it?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

How is this such a common impression? Except for prestige epics, old movies are uniformly shorter than modern ones. They released 70 minute long films routinely up til the 60s.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think prestige epics are the only "old" films people generally acknowledge, which is why everyone thinks Citizen Kane is really long when it's barely two hours.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Well, what did you like about it?

I'd love to see more in-depth and observant reviews in this thread - it was made to expose you to great films but it's also an opportunity to develop critical writing skills. I don't like The 400 Blows at all but there's tons to talk about or at least acknowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The Indian Fighter was a hell of an interesting picture. André De Toth paints a west in conflict not, as its often told, between a superior (US) and an inferior (Indian) military force, but between a superior economic force (US) and a superior military force (Indian). That twist alone is pretty fascinating.

It does the usual cast-Italian-people-as-Indians thing, but aside from that it's pretty progressive. There are a lot of people on both sides of the conflict here looking to avoid it, and a few sleazy sons of bitches making profit in the middle. That's a drat modern depiction, I think, and one you rarely saw in the Cold War days.

Kirk Douglas is his usual charming self, but Elisha Cook Jr steals the show here as a passionate photographer, a protege of Matthew Brady who's looking to capture the beauty of the west. What a lovely character he created.

The Achille's heel, though, is the lame cinematography. It deserves (and with its Cinemascope ratio, expects) much better. The lack of powerful imagery little by little drags this down from minor classic to also-ran.

The point-black flaming arrow death was pretty intense.

Not Al-Qaeda, Paths of Glory for ya.

New list:

The Whole Shootin' Match This is another one of those ones that I'm really intrigued by but somehow am never in the mood for.

new: Skyline Where will I align in the great CineD Skyline debate???

Who'll Stop the Rain? I hear this is basically a better version of Cutter's Way?

Senso Always up for a melodrama.

Fish Tank Fassbender?

My Brother's Wedding So there's a director's cut that's like a half hour shorter? Which should I see?

The Masseurs And A Woman I've been hankering for '30s Japanese films lately.

Boxing Gym I try and keep up with Wiseman, but his films are not easy to sit down and watch.

Blue Valentine Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams are both so awesome.

How I Won the War Lennon and Lester.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10), The Old Dark House (7.5/10), The Tarnished Angels (8/10), Ordet (9/10), Pigs and Battleships (8/10), The Naked City (8/10), The Ninth Configuration (4/10), Sling Blade (8.5/10), Le Trou (8.5/10), I Know Where I'm Going! (7.5/10), The Hangover (7.5/10), Body Heat (7.5/10), Night Moves (8.5/10), The Earrings of Madame De... (8/10), Toto, Peppino, e la Malafemmina (7/10), Short Cuts (9/10), The Mystery of Picasso (8/10), The Wisdom of Crocodiles (6.5/10), To Be or Not to Be (9/10), Barfly (5.5/10), Billy Liar (8/10), Hana-bi (7.5/10), The Fighter (8/10), Cop Land (8/10), Cairo Station (8.5/10), Beware of a Holy Whore (8/10) That Obscure Object of Desire (8.5/10), The Structure of Crystals (8.5/10), Farewell, My Lovely (8/10), The Blue Angel (7.5.10), Amadeus (8/10), A Time to Love and a Time to Die (8.5/10), Mike's Murder (8/10), I Saw the Devil (7/10), Advise and Consent (8/10), Little Man, What Now? (8.5/10), Outrage (7.5/10), Electra Glide in Blue (8/10), Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (8/10), The Man from Nowhere (7/10), Apocalypto (8/10), Deep Red (8/10), The Darjeeling Limited (7/10), The Last Emperor (7.5/10), The Dead (8.5/10), Black Narcissus (8/10), Szerelem (8/10), The Passion of the Christ (8/10), Rumble Fish (8/10), Ils (6/10), Man's Castle (8/10), Antarctic Journal (6.5/10), Rango (8.5/10), Montenegro (8.5/10), Hammett (7.5/10), Hollywoodland (6/10), The Indian Fighter (7.5/10)

Total: 156
Best: All That Heaven Allows
Worst: Harold and Maude