Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Is Pikmin still in the "launch window"?

It's not. Will probably be released Q2 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They only started that game at least thee years ago on an already developed engine. It's Nintendo, we can't expect miracles.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I think Pikmin is one of those things where, as Miyamoto once said, they'll forgive that the game was late, but not that it was bad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bobnumerotres posted:

It is. They said "early 2013". If it wasn't still in the launch window (which is basically from launch til March) then they wouldn't have brought it up.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So in an interesting turn of events, Amazon has started to sell the 3DS XL now (not 3rd party merchants).

Here's hopin' it spreads to the Wii U.

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen

Bobnumerotres posted:

:suicide:

Pikmin 3 is the one game I want to play. But I forgive you Nintendo because you are surely making Pikmin 3 the best it can be and are not merely holding back a completed game for marketing reasons :downs:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
They said its coming out before march.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin
drat you all for pretty much convincing me that black Wii-U is the best Wii-U. The videos for the Luigi mini game in Nintendoland and this IGN article also made me rethink my hasty decision to go white instead of black.

15 minutes ago, I canceled my "sure thing" Best Buy White Wii-U pre-order/in-store pickup to get the Deeeluxe bundle instead (with pro controller and SMBWU) shipped from Walmart.

I don't mind waiting a week or so after launch to get my toys in the mail. Hopefully it's not longer than that. Please tell me I didn't just sacrifice my Wii-U preorder to the big box store gods.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

plasticbugs posted:

drat you all for pretty much convincing me that black Wii-U is the best Wii-U. The videos for the Luigi mini game in Nintendoland and this IGN article also made me rethink my hasty decision to go white instead of black.

15 minutes ago, I canceled my "sure thing" Best Buy White Wii-U pre-order/in-store pickup to get the Deeeluxe bundle instead (with pro controller and SMBWU) shipped from Walmart.

I don't mind waiting a week or so after launch to get my toys in the mail. Hopefully it's not longer than that. Please tell me I didn't just sacrifice my Wii-U preorder to the big box store gods.

Honestly I've had much more luck with Walmart then Best-Buy who are really incompetent with pre-orders. I've never pre-ordered a console there before, but Best-Buy is really that bad.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Runaway Five posted:

Pikmin 3 is the one game I want to play. But I forgive you Nintendo because you are surely making Pikmin 3 the best it can be and are not merely holding back a completed game for marketing reasons :downs:
It would compete with Pikmin Adventure in Nintendo Land :downs: (or more realistically, it's a way to introduce Pikmin to people that have never heard of it before releasing Pikmin 3)

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin

Veev posted:

Honestly I've had much more luck with Walmart then Best-Buy who are really incompetent with pre-orders. I've never pre-ordered a console there before, but Best-Buy is really that bad.

This makes me feel much better. I would have been super annoyed to show up at Best Buy on the 18th only to be told that they didn't have my console.

The Walmart bundle included stuff I was buying anyway (pro controller, Super Mario Bros Wii-U), so I'm paying $50 extra to get a little more hard drive space and 2012's version of Wii Sports. I can live with that.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Runaway Five posted:

They held onto Kid Icarus for something like six months. Don't put it past them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

fivegears4reverse posted:

They held onto Kid Icarus for something like six months. Don't put it past them.

Uuuh no they didn't. It went Gold in February and came out that March, IIRC.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^It was supposed to be out in 2011.

Anyway, because it bears repeating: Pikmin is coming early 2013, and they never said otherwise.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'm not saying you make Tekken with smash bros characters. Just take out all the trash like tripping and the incredibly forgiving floaty physics, re-introduce momentum, balance characters so that they're not so far apart in pure power and speed (What do you lose by Sonic being 30% faster than Bowser, instead of about five loving times faster? What other fighting game do you know of that has stat differences that insane?).

The game doesn't need more complex controls, it just needs momentum so you can chain together creative combos that require a lot of skill and precision, just look at some advanced players playing Melee or hell, the brawl M+ mod. Putting a huge barrier between the player and character movesets with tons of button combinations and poo poo is just bad design IMO. Every game should be easy to learn and hard to master.

Items can also be balanced so that they're not such tide-turners. Pokeballs, for example. Some of them summon a pokemon that sits still and performs an attack, so it demands that the summoner throws the opponent into its attack range, that takes skill.

Motherfucking unavoidable flying dragons that deal a shitload of damage and KO you 90% of the time is incredibly unnecessary, that kind of trash can be taken out without impacting the smash bros feel of wackiness, but help balance tremendously.

It honestly sounds like the game you want to play is Sony's PlayStation All-Stars. It's a PS3 game due out this holiday season that's basically Smash Bros but with Sony characters and developers who have been involved in the competitive fighting scene that are balancing the game to have deep combat mechanics, a solid combo system and be ready for serious tournament play.

Maybe a bit dodgy mentioning it in a Nintendo thread since the games existence seems to turn Nintendo fans into rage monsters, but it is genuinely a very cool game and judging by your post, it's exactly what you're looking for. It's personally one of my must-buy games this holiday season since I enjoy Smash Bros, but something with better balance and fighting mechanics (as well as a roster of characters I prefer over Nintendo's) and solid online play has shot it near the top of my most anticipated games.

Another crazy fighting game that doesn't have the nonsense of Smash Bros but retains the chaotic gameplay is Marvel vs Capcom 3, which is also absolutely amazing fun. You should check that out as well if you can.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DoctorWhat posted:

Uuuh no they didn't. It went Gold in February and came out that March, IIRC.

Not to degrade this into 'But from what I was told' sorta of post, buuuuuut... from what I was told :shepface:

The US guide came out late because when the game was originally shown some time last year, nobody wanted to do a guide. Nintendo, in its brilliance, didn't tell anyone there was more than nine levels to the game, so it didn't look like a good deal. You should check out the marketing of the game before release. There is nothing about it post Medusa. Nintendo not only held onto the game, but they didn't even disclose over half of the content behind the game to ANYONE. I remember being utterly blindsided by everything after the Medusa fight. There wasn't any mention of it ANYWHERE. The Hades reveal, Viridi, all the really batshit stuff was held close to their chests.

Apparently, the Japanese guide book DOESN'T EVEN COVER THE WHOLE GAME. Which is kinda crazy to think about, because of how detailed the drat thing is, overall.

If there's anything Nintendo does exceedingly well, its 'Keep a loving secret'. Holding onto Pikmin isn't a bad thing, it's just something Nintendo is willing to do in order to ensure a game has the right impact.

MUFFlNS posted:

It honestly sounds like the game you want to play is Sony's PlayStation All-Stars.

Maybe a bit dodgy mentioning it in a Nintendo thread since the games existence seems to turn Nintendo fans into rage monsters

No more enraging than someone posting this while pretending that that someone who wants to to play a Smash game that can cater to multiple mindsets (Like Melee) is actually someone who wants to play a game like Playstation All-Stars (which is nothing like Melee or Brawl).

But you're right, it's a retarded topic mostly because people keep talking past eachother about it.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 19, 2012

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

People who are waiting for Pikmin 3 should check out The Wonderful 101 when it comes out, since it at least will be out sometime this year (and looks like more Platinum awesomeness).

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Slashgear writer says that Wii U games look the same as PS3 and XBox 360 games, so it is a big problem that they cost the same amount as them.

quote:

Chief among those concerns is how much the Wii U’s games will cost. Nintendo has said that its console will have about 50 games available to customers between launch day and the end of March, and it has even said that a new Super Mario game will be available, but those titles will cost $60.

That’s a problem. Nintendo customers have been conditioned to pay less for games for the last two generations. Now they’re paying the same as Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 customers for graphics that really don’t seem all that much better than what we’ve seen to this point? That’s a problem if I’ve ever seen one.

http://www.slashgear.com/why-you-shouldnt-preorder-the-wii-u-yet-16247690/

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Launch games are not a huge leap from the previous generation!? :monocle:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Not to degrade this into 'But from what I was told' sorta of post, buuuuuut... from what I was told :shepface:

The US guide came out late because when the game was originally shown some time last year, nobody wanted to do a guide. Nintendo, in its brilliance, didn't tell anyone there was more than nine levels to the game, so it didn't look like a good deal. You should check out the marketing of the game before release. There is nothing about it post Medusa. Nintendo not only held onto the game, but they didn't even disclose over half of the content behind the game to ANYONE. I remember being utterly blindsided by everything after the Medusa fight. There wasn't any mention of it ANYWHERE. The Hades reveal, Viridi, all the really batshit stuff was held close to their chests.

What does keeping secrets have to do with how long the game was done for? The CPP only had limited support because they didn't know it EXISTED until only a couple of weeks before the game was completed.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So are all the launch games 480p or what, then?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Playstation All-Stars (which is nothing like Melee or Brawl)
You know, I'm not mad at Sony making the game, but it's pretty much exactly like Smash Bros except with Sony characters. The method of getting kills is different, but the pacing is functionally similar.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Slashgear writer says that Wii U games look the same as PS3 and XBox 360 games, so it is a big problem that they cost the same amount as them.

This just seems puerile.

"The games look the same, so it's a problem that they cost the same."

Should they cost less for an identical product, for some reason?

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
I'm in the US and it looks like the only place available online that still has pre-orders available for the Deluxe version is Walmart, but as someone else pointed out it includes more items and is higher priced. Toys R Us just has a page that says "Check back soon to pre-order". Did I miss my chance to pre-order or are there any other places still taking pre-orders for the Deluxe version?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Chaltab posted:

You know, I'm not mad at Sony making the game, but it's pretty much exactly like Smash Bros except with Sony characters. The method of getting kills is different, but the pacing is functionally similar.

The standard Smash kill method is actually in the game according to some people who've played it at conventions, which baffles me because no one wants to play Super Meter: The Game. Why not make it the default option?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Belle Isle Tech posted:

I'm in the US and it looks like the only place available online that still has pre-orders available for the Deluxe version is Walmart, but as someone else pointed out it includes more items and is higher priced. Toys R Us just has a page that says "Check back soon to pre-order". Did I miss my chance to pre-order or are there any other places still taking pre-orders for the Deluxe version?

It seems like everywhere (except Bestbuy) is being very careful about not taking orders for more systems they are allotted.

There are 2 possibilities.

1. There is an initial quota to gauge how many systems to make, spying demand as it were.
2. This is really what is allotted and yes you missed it.

Given that even Japan is getting a launch later then the US because they are limited in making systems, the later is probably true. God for basic or hope for a place that has one or roll the dice with Best Buy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Might want to check Costco.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

YorexTheMad posted:

This just seems puerile.

"The games look the same, so it's a problem that they cost the same."

Should they cost less for an identical product, for some reason?

Yeah, I'm confused by this too. I'm accustomed to paying $60 for PS3 and Xbox360 games, so if Wii U launch titles are in the same league graphically, why shouldn't they cost the same? I wouldn't complain if they gave them to me for cheaper, but I don't see where the expectation to get them for $50 is coming from.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AngryCaterpillar posted:

This dude is a loving idiot. When have brand new console games not cost 50 to 60 bucks!?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

MinibarMatchman posted:

This dude is a loving idiot. When have brand new console games not cost 50 to 60 bucks!?

When they cost $100...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

zenintrude posted:

When they cost $100...

God, don't loving remind me. I was in Canada and it cost me $120 plus tax.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The point will be moot when ps4/xbox games come out and cost 70$. Serious, the first of a new generation comes out with games at the price point of the last gen should be loving lauded. Don't preorder a WiiU just yet! The games cost what games cost! The nerve.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the extra ten bux this generation is due to the increased costs of making HD games. So theoretically that is a one time cost increase, that is until they start releasing 4k games.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

greatn posted:

I think the extra ten bux this generation is due to the increased costs of making HD games. So theoretically that is a one time cost increase, that is until they start releasing 4k games.

4k is overkill for the size of TV's, if Sony goes all in on 4k and is asking more for it then they wont get my business next gen. They may not anyway iff the WiiU can hold their own, we'll see in a year.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Policenaut posted:

God, don't loving remind me. I was in Canada and it cost me $120 plus tax.

Every RPG was $100+

:negative:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Sony aiming for 4k would mean a repeat of the PS3's fiasco of a launch. It took years and a lot of humble pie for them to turn that platform around and make it an appropriate value proposition to consumers, so I can't see them making the same mistake twice.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

It seems like everywhere (except Bestbuy) is being very careful about not taking orders for more systems they are allotted.

There are 2 possibilities.

1. There is an initial quota to gauge how many systems to make, spying demand as it were.
2. This is really what is allotted and yes you missed it.

Given that even Japan is getting a launch later then the US because they are limited in making systems, the later is probably true. God for basic or hope for a place that has one or roll the dice with Best Buy.

After reading a bunch of stuff like this I'm getting antsy about this best buy preorder. Do they really have a history of preorder gently caress ups? How were they handled, am I looking at having to wait an extra week for my preorder or having it canceled altogether if they mess up?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bombadilillo posted:

4k is overkill for the size of TV's, if Sony goes all in on 4k and is asking more for it then they wont get my business next gen. They may not anyway iff the WiiU can hold their own, we'll see in a year.

Some said the same about HD. Don't get me wrong, I don't really see a need for it, but then again I've never seen a 4k feed and 1080p feed side by side. Maybe if I did I would immediately take hostages until I got a 4k TV, a passport, and a helicopter.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

Sony aiming for 4k would mean a repeat of the PS3's fiasco of a launch. It took years and a lot of humble pie for them to turn that platform around and make it an appropriate value proposition to consumers, so I can't see them making the same mistake twice.

Sony's pretty much abandoned going all future-tech on their platforms. Vita was entirely built with off the shelf parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I don't think anybody said that they didn't see the appeal of digital signals and HD quality displays, because a lot of old TV looked like rear end and everybody knew it. Part of what made it not worth it, though, was the worldwide price-fixing on monitors, which is still being settled up even now.

• Locked thread