Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
So guess what arrived super surprisingly early?

(Grizzly Bear's new album, Shields in fancy fancy gold vinyl)

The album's not supposed to be launching until the 19th. I can't even redeem my download card until then. I'm expecting copies of iamamiwhoami's Kin and the Deerhoof flexi-book next week and I was gonna post all of the arrivals together, but this turn of events will also do quite nicely.

Some other recent grabs. That copy of Tusk still has the original shrink-wrap and a $12.99 sticker from loving Caldor (you old Nor'easter goons know what I'm talking about).

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

I finally got Heavier than a Death in the Family on glorious 180 gram vinyl. Best thing ever.

Prettiest vinyl is def the limited Infidel Art album. God drat

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Pretty :allears:

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Yeah that looks great. Can't wait for mine to show up. Love This Giant showed up yesterday, and it sounds awesome. Love that album.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I came to post pictures of Shields but beaten by better quality shots so I will refrain. Insound shipped preorders a few days ago and mine arrived today as well. Does anyone know what is up with the gold edition? Is it available from all retailers for a limited time only or was it just Insound that had the gold?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

thathonkey posted:

I came to post pictures of Shields but beaten by better quality shots so I will refrain. Insound shipped preorders a few days ago and mine arrived today as well. Does anyone know what is up with the gold edition? Is it available from all retailers for a limited time only or was it just Insound that had the gold?

Insound was the exclusive vendor for the gold vinyl, limited to a 1000 copies.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The album's not supposed to be launching until the 19th. I can't even redeem my download card until then. I'm expecting copies of iamamiwhoami's Kin and the Deerhoof flexi-book next week and I was gonna post all of the arrivals together, but this turn of events will also do quite nicely.

I got mine today today as well, haven't gotten a chance to listen yet though as I was on my way out the door when it got there. The vinyl looks cool though.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That copy of Tusk still has the original shrink-wrap and a $12.99 sticker from loving Caldor (you old Nor'easter goons know what I'm talking about).

Albany/Saratoga NY area, that is loving awesome.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Some other recent grabs. That copy of Tusk still has the original shrink-wrap and a $12.99 sticker from loving Caldor (you old Nor'easter goons know what I'm talking about).

Plastic Letters is my favorite Blondie album. It only runs about 34 minutes, but it's all fantastic stuff.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Finally got a chance to listen to it, it's great except the second record is constant pops.

Sounds like a thrift store record.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

eggsovereasy posted:

Finally got a chance to listen to it, it's great except the second record is constant pops.

Really? I didn't notice. Have you brushed it? Sometimes new records that are packed in board sleeves (like, all of them these days) come full of debris from the sleeve manufacture.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Really? I didn't notice. Have you brushed it? Sometimes new records that are packed in board sleeves (like, all of them these days) come full of debris from the sleeve manufacture.

Yeah, I'll have to try giving it a wet clean.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
My second LP of Shields is popping really bad too (on side C especially). Already tried cleaning it with a wet brush... didn't really make it any better :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

eggsovereasy posted:

thathonkey posted:

My second LP of Shields is popping really bad too (on side C especially). Already tried cleaning it with a wet brush... didn't really make it any better :(

Yeah, I listened to mine again more closely. It's got its pops and crackles but it's not super bad or anything ( :( ). I guess email Insound about it?

dumbskull
Mar 25, 2012

im cool
WHats the right thing to clean them with?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
How's the quality of the 2001 reissue of the Deep Red soundtrack? Is it good, or would it be worth the extra money getting an original?

Also, how's the Pro-Ject Essential line? Is the Carbon worth the extra money? And somebody posted a link a few months ago to an American retailer of Pro-Ject tables, anyone have it?

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 16, 2012

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

dumbskull posted:

WHats the right thing to clean them with?

Get something like this http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RD-1006-Discwasher-Record-System/dp/B000KMZKTO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1347777144&sr=8-7&keywords=vinyl+cleaner. You could just get the brush and make your own solution. I got the recipe from this thread (70% purified water, 30% isopropyl alcohol, a few drops of unscented dish soap. I might be remembering wrong, I made it a while ago). Get a carbon fiber brush for every day cleaning.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Detective Thompson posted:

How's the quality of the 2001 reissue of the Deep Red soundtrack? Is it good, or would it be worth the extra money getting an original?

I also want to know this. Someone answer this question.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Detective Thompson posted:

CPL593H posted:

I also want to know this. Someone answer this question.

I have the reissue for Tenebre (I was never able to locate a copy of Deep Red) and the quality is excellent. However, it's missing all the bonus tracks that are on my CD, if that matters (same deal with Deep Red). Listening to both versions, in my opinion, the vinyl has a far superior sound. I have a couple other Dagored reissue LPs, such as Morricone's Revolver, and they all sound fantastic. Hope this helps.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

ultraviolence123 posted:

I have the reissue for Tenebre (I was never able to locate a copy of Deep Red) and the quality is excellent. However, it's missing all the bonus tracks that are on my CD, if that matters (same deal with Deep Red). Listening to both versions, in my opinion, the vinyl has a far superior sound. I have a couple other Dagored reissue LPs, such as Morricone's Revolver, and they all sound fantastic. Hope this helps.

Missing bonus tracks is pretty much par for the course with vinyl reissues, mostly due to lack of space. Usually that isn't much of an issue since bonus tracks are throwaways more often than not, but it bugged me a little with the Swervedriver reissues and Ride's Nowhere, since some of the bonus tracks could go toe to toe with some of the best tracks on the former, and the bonus tracks ("Taste" and "Here and Now" in particular) are probably my favorite songs on the latter. That said the (very poorly tagged) mp3s that came with the Swervedriver reissues included the bonus tracks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

ultraviolence123 posted:

Last time I checked Soundstagedirect.com had the Deep Red reissue.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

ultraviolence123 posted:

Thanks for the info. Bonus tracks aren't a huge deal to me, so that wouldn't be a problem.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Didn't get a chance to post this over the weekend since I was out of town, but on Friday I won a test pressing of the new Band of Horses album with an autographed jacket. It's pretty rad.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
So, my DFA1979 record came today...and it was the black repress that's still available for $18 though the labels website. The seller on discogs had put it up under the wrong listing; managed to get a partial refund and keep the record, but holy gently caress I was pissed off at first.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I, Butthole posted:

So, my DFA1979 record came today...and it was the black repress that's still available for $18 though the labels website. The seller on discogs had put it up under the wrong listing; managed to get a partial refund and keep the record, but holy gently caress I was pissed off at first.

They do this all the time. If it's a specific pressing or some such I make it a rule to double check via email whether it's the one I'm looking for.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Some of my highlights from this weekend's Providence Rock N Roll Yard Sale:

The last track on that Fonzy record is just him going "Ayyyyy" "Sit on it" and other catch phrases. The Back to the Future album is an original 1985 print as well :hellyeah:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Here's a code to the Symmetry record if anyone wants to use it:

https://www.dropcards.com/vinyl

CH5PXY7W5M

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blendy posted:

Here's a code to the Symmetry record if anyone wants to use it:

https://www.dropcards.com/vinyl

CH5PXY7W5M

Thanks a bunch! I'm still not sure if I want to get it, but I only heard it as a stream so this will either convince to do so or leave it.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I saw that Fonzy record at an antique store this weekend, and passed. I'm going to run back there when I get done with work and pick it up. Sounds too awesome to pass up. I picked up a bunch of goodies this weekend... I'll post pics later.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

ultraviolence123 posted:

I saw that Fonzy record at an antique store this weekend, and passed. I'm going to run back there when I get done with work and pick it up. Sounds too awesome to pass up. I picked up a bunch of goodies this weekend... I'll post pics later.

It was more than worth the $2 I paid for it

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
If it's the same one I have, the back even has a little kick stand that folds out so you can display it like a picture frame.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

The Human Cow posted:

If it's the same one I have, the back even has a little kick stand that folds out so you can display it like a picture frame.

Indeed - I forgot to mention that

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Self-quote from the Cat Power thread:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Heads up that today's Popmarket daily deal is Sun, The Greatest, and You Are Free on vinyl for a total of $42. That's $14 per LP, which is pretty nifty.

I know we don't usually post every Popmarket deal here, but I figured some other people might have their fancies struck- especially considering that the Daily Deals have been more miss than hit for me over the last few months and I tend to just drift out of the loop about them for weeks on end until it's too late (that Spoon package that sold out in like 3 loving hours :argh: ).

I don't know what Friday's Leonard Cohen thing is gonna be, but I'm afraid for my wallet.

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
Also noticed that Heady Nuggs is up there for $89.99 for anyone looking for a copy.

http://www.popmarket.com/the-flamin...source=facebook

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Also, try FACEBOOK10 as a discount code. Might still work.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Also, try FACEBOOK10 as a discount code. Might still work.

I tried that earlier. It said it expired August 1st :(

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blendy posted:

I tried that earlier. It said it expired August 1st :(

RIP FACEBOOK10

You have saved me many $

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Aw man, I used that one every time I ordered there :(

The best code is UTR over at Polyvinyl, it gives you 15% off every time. No sign of it expiring.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

dflanny posted:

Aw man, I used that one every time I ordered there :(

The best code is UTR over at Polyvinyl, it gives you 15% off every time. No sign of it expiring.

:respek:

In soundtrack news, pre-orders went up for the Frankenweenie soundtrack which is an Amazon.com exclusive for some reason.

Also, the pre-order for Nick Cave's Lawless soundtrack has gone up on every iteration of Amazon except the U.S. one. It's limited to a 1000 copies on red vinyl and it had me at 'Nick Cave'.

e: Also, for all you nerds, there's going to be a 5 disc 'best of Final Fantasy' limited edition box set released in november.

Those games had stellar music, so I can dig it.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
It is a good day to be me:

Black Dunes by This Will Destroy You on clear, The Sky Moves Sideways by Porcupine Tree and the Batman Begins OST.