Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Shalinor posted:

Bioware has gradually been becoming less Bioware, and more an RPG arm of EA

Bioware made RPGs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

devilmouse posted:

What's the over/under on the time until they put up a Kickstarter?

Judging by Greg's farewell post in particular it sounds like he barely even wants to touch another video game for at least a few years.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Judging by Greg's farewell post in particular it sounds like he barely even wants to touch another video game for at least a few years.

Well I imagine that he got pretty burned out.

Their work changed significantly when EA bought BioWare.
Ray became the buffer that kept the worst of EA from interfering with BioWare while also trying to make EA a better place to be.
Greg was trying to be what both of them were but for 4 studios, and for TOR he basically had to move to austin (his family's back here in edmonton) and put the screws to folks to get them to actually produce something rather than being a money pit.

After EA bought us, they were almost never home, and always tasked with a million super stressful things.

If I were them I'd probably quit from games for a while too, and they have the money to do pretty much whatever catches their fancy right now.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shalinor posted:

Bioware has gradually been becoming less Bioware, and more an RPG arm of EA - so I suppose I'm not really expecting much of a change. They're massive studios at this point, with plenty of competent leadership that's been making almost all the calls already for years.
During the April-June period, I conducted a three-hour interview with Ray and Greg. I asked Ray about how he would respond to people who claim that BioWare is now under EA's thumb. He said, "We are not separate from EA. We are EA, but we are BioWare at the same time, too." Most of my interview with Ray and Greg focused on strategy, culture, and values. Ray described the core values of BioWare: "Quality in our products, quality in our workplace, and entrepreneurship—all in the context of humility and integrity. [...] Just strive. Just do the best you can. Hire great people around you. Every day, try and make every aspect of what you do better." When I asked the pair about what would happen if they suddenly departed BioWare, Ray explained that BioWare is an identity that's best expressed by the people who carry those values forward.

19orFewer
Jan 1, 2010

devilmouse posted:

What's the over/under on the time until they put up a Kickstarter?

It wouldn't shock me if they had a 'no compete' clause in their original buyout agreements - so their amicable retirement may be the quiet way of following that. I can't imagine it is too much fun to have a good reputation and brand which is then applied to totally unrelated and uncontrolled projects, some of which have been controversial in terms of success (SWTOR) or evolution (DA2) and the new Ultima may not be something that they would want to be associated with. Better to burn out than to fade away and all that.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

19orFewer posted:

It wouldn't shock me if they had a 'no compete' clause in their original buyout agreements

Have non-compete clauses ever been successfully upheld? I'm pretty sure they break a few universal rights or something.

The Oid
Jul 15, 2004

Chibber of worlds

devilmouse posted:

If it's anything but a pre-funding startup, you should be getting at least USD $10K for relocation costs and probably way more given that it's an international move. Don't pay out of pocket for ANYTHING that's not reimbursed and make sure all this stuff is written in to your employment contract!

To be honest, now that I'm working for a company that paid for the whole process of moving me from the UK to Canada, anything else would seem like too much of a hassle. Upping sticks and moving your life to another country is stressful enough without having to worry about managing the moving budget, or organising all the moving companies yourself.

A company that just gave me a sum of money instead, would be a massive turn-off for me.

Part of it is, I'd tend to think that if they can't be bothered/are too cheap to organise the move, then what else are they going to skimp on when I actually get over there?

The Oid fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 19, 2012

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Jan posted:

Have non-compete clauses ever been successfully upheld? I'm pretty sure they break a few universal rights or something.

I think it is on a state by state basis, I know in CA they are not allowed.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Bioware made RPGs?

Oof - this is basically the BioWare forums.txt, for how often they argue about what is or is not an RPG, and if ME qualifies.

Re: Ray and Greg, it's going to be really interesting to see both what happens in the future and who takes over for them. So far we've not really heard much at all for their successors, although Aaryn has been the studio GM for a while now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SUPER HASSLER posted:

It sounded to me like he negotiated a Do Not Compete of X years for a $YZ0,000 lump sum payment

Do Not Competes aren't enforcable in many states, but threat of legal suit in a lot of cases is enough to ward off a lot of employers or angel investors

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Why is it that deadlines and football season and X-Com happen at the same time?

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
Spent a week with my team, headed back home tomorrow. So happy to be back at work solving important virtual murder simulator problems.

If any of you are RTS/MOBA gameplay designers and want a job in Germany PM me.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

EgonSpengler posted:

Spent a week with my team, headed back home tomorrow. So happy to be back at work solving important virtual murder simulator problems.

If any of you are RTS/MOBA gameplay designers and want a job in Germany PM me.

What level? I have a lot on my plate at the moment but I'm extremely well versed in moba and fighting games and would prefer to work in those genres over anything.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
So I just got back from LOGIN and now I'm heading to GDC Online shortly, who all will be there and where are we partying?

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Acethomas posted:

So I just got back from LOGIN and now I'm heading to GDC Online shortly, who all will be there and where are we partying?

My studio is in downtown Austin and I will be entertaining out of town people all week - I'm up for meeting some new people for anyone that is coming to GDC Online.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Waterbed posted:

What level? I have a lot on my plate at the moment but I'm extremely well versed in moba and fighting games and would prefer to work in those genres over anything.

Would love a lead, will take a senior or intermediate.

Edited because iFail.

EgonSpengler fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 28, 2012

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

Acethomas posted:

Yes, I'll be there. Set a place!

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Yes, I'll be there. Set a place!

I'm exploring some of the parties right now to see whats up, so far I have the Pocket Gamer and Playspan parties and I'm leaning toward the PS one because I like those guys better and its 9pm-Dead. Once I have some more options I'll set one and get the RSVP info out so we can all go. Otherwise we can pick a time during the day to hit up my booth (816).

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Acethomas posted:

I'll be there.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Totally down with GDC Austin meetup. Hopefully it's not conflicting with other parties...

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Speaking of conferences, has anyone here been to Siege? I'm going this year and since its my first time at a professional convention I have no idea what to expect.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

Space Opera posted:

Speaking of conferences, has anyone here been to Siege? I'm going this year and since its my first time at a professional convention I have no idea what to expect.

I was on a panel there a couple years ago. Haven't been since. I'm debating about going this year.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Anyone want to split a hotel for IndieCade next weekend? Email me: bs.vino@gmail.com

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I am just about to where I need to expand my group of testers a bit. Specifically, I need someone that has a Touch 4 a/o an iPad 1, that'd be willing to tell me where the slowdowns are (a couple times a week at most - I tend to push the next optimized build before I kick off for the day). Would anyone be game?

(It's a game about a platforming fireman that saves kitties, and does other awesome kitty-saving-themed things)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 1, 2012

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Shalinor posted:

I am just about to where I need to expand my group of testers a bit. Specifically, I need someone that has a Touch 4 a/o an iPad 1, that'd be willing to tell me where the slowdowns are (a couple times a week at most - I tend to push the next optimized build before I kick off for the day). Would anyone be game?

(It's a game about a platforming fireman that saves kitties, and does other awesome kitty-saving-themed things)

I can help with the iPad 1 side of that if you'd like.
Helping a couple times a week won't strain me much.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Nexon just bought my parent company.

Not exactly what to do next here, career wise.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

JosephStalinVEVO posted:

Nexon just bought my parent company.

Not exactly what to do next here, career wise.

Step One of any potential career decision should always be:
get your resume and portfolio together in case you need it.

After that you can figure out whatever. Maybe this is good, maybe this is bad, but you'll feel more confident and less worried if you have your poo poo together.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Adraeus posted:

Anyone here work at Microsoft Studios? I need information about a posted job opp.

Missed this by a few weeks, but "yes"

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pixelboy posted:

Missed this by a few weeks, but "yes"
Thank you. However, I think I've done everything I can to get an interview for the position. Now, I just to have to wait.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Yes, I got another interview finally. The secret this time seems to have been "send multiple applications over a period of a few months".

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
My first game is getting released tonight and the early impressions are positive. Heres to another 4-5 mil copies sold this year :cheers:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

crazylakerfan posted:

My first game is getting released tonight and the early impressions are positive. Heres to another 4-5 mil copies sold this year :cheers:

Worked on NBA 2K13, I take it. :v: Or possibly RE6, but that would surprise me! (And man, the "early impressions" for RE6 are not what I would call universally positive.)

On another note, I swear to god if this thing we've been working on forever can't be announced soon you'll hear about me doing various unmentionable things with a goat on the streets of LA. This is getting rather maddening.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

On another note, I swear to god if this thing we've been working on forever can't be announced soon you'll hear about me doing various unmentionable things with a goat on the streets of LA. This is getting rather maddening.

I know that feel, bro. :(

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

SpaceDrake posted:

Worked on NBA 2K13, I take it. :v: Or possibly RE6, but that would surprise me! (And man, the "early impressions" for RE6 are not what I would call universally positive.)

Yeah, NBA 2K13

And yeah, some of my friends are like that. They've been on projects for months that they can't say a single word about.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

crazylakerfan posted:

Congrats

SpaceDrake posted:

Man I knew there was something different about you L.A. people as soon as I got to Santa Monica but drat~

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Another interview scheduled. This has been a good week.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

And yeah, some of my friends are like that. They've been on projects for months that they can't say a single word about.

Out of curiosity, is this typically due to a carefully orchestrated marketing campaign, etc? Presumably by controlling the story you can build maximum hype with minimal detractors, but that's all guesswork on my part.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Hadlock posted:

Out of curiosity, is this typically due to a carefully orchestrated marketing campaign, etc? Presumably by controlling the story you can build maximum hype with minimal detractors, but that's all guesswork on my part.

Yeah Marketing has a big say in what you can/can't talk about. I assume he meant unannounced projects though.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

On the one hand, I completely understand the reaction to the late 90s and early 2000s game industry. Games were overhyped before they were even playable, overpromised in countless interviews, and overexposed by launch. It really was bad.

On the other hand, when our existing players ask us a direct question about something we have already completed and they know is going to be released soon, I would like to be able to answer them without getting clearance from five different people, thanks.

Also I want just a fraction of marketing's alcohol budget, because drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!
Copying this from the 3D thread.

I work for a Japanese video game company. I do some 3D modelling work when there are projects, but we're a work for hire company mostly and we're dealing in domestic games, a lot of 2D stuff or porting of stuff, so there's not always a lot of 3D work needed. In the time im not doing 3D work, I help test bugs, and as I'm the only guy who speaks English at the company, sort out contracts and try to get us more work with companies abroad.

Its with this in mind that we're starting to branch out and start bringing foreign games to Japan and expand services within Japan, porting to other consoles, etc. iOS to VITA or something like that.

We went to TGS and there were a lot of mobile game developers, but as to be expected from TGS, it was mostly domestic. We're looking to go abroad and network with businesses in America and the UK and I'm wondering which expos in Europe or America are best for business networking.

As a developer and a modeler i'm very interested in GDC, I've never been (I'm British), and think it would help me personally, but I'm not sure if its the correct venue to be going to, in the hopes of checking new games and potentially forging friendships with companies or offering our services to them.

What do you think? What expo from a business standpoint makes sense to go to?

What about E3, or expos in Europe?

Also, based on this info. If I wanted to go to GDC, what pass would I definitely need to buy. Is it worth buying the all access pass or can I make do with just the main conference pass?

Rekka fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 3, 2012