Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Just starting out, so I hope I don't offend anyone with how terrible these are. But I thought I'd throw some here to get opinions, how to improve, etc.

DSC00631.jpg by ManiacMatt87, on Flickr

DSC00601.jpg by ManiacMatt87, on Flickr

DSC00584.jpg by ManiacMatt87, on Flickr

DSC00576.jpg by ManiacMatt87, on Flickr

DSC00557.jpg by ManiacMatt87, on Flickr

DSC00487.jpg by ManiacMatt87, on Flickr

DSC00478.jpg by ManiacMatt87, on Flickr

DSC00454.jpg by ManiacMatt87, on Flickr

DSC00442.jpg by ManiacMatt87, on Flickr

I realized afterwards, that these pictures are in the reverse order of when they were taken during the day. This was just me walking around killing a few hours between a baseball game and a concert later that night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
I'm liking the following because they show people doing interesting things / being interesting:

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Caught some guys that were practicing historical reenactment.
It was very hot, you can see fatigued people in their armors.
I love the contrast between the manic historical details of the reenactors and the modern buildings in the background.

I reckon the b/w film blends them nicely.

Romans in 2012 di maxmars70, su Flickr

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

I like the idea and the contrast between ages. I don't love the crop just because it's so tight and wide I kinda lose the mood of the image. I am wishing for more room around the subjects. Overall a really fun shot though.

I have been shooting ultra wide angle street lately. Here are two from yesterday-

Point Break by SirWyeth, on Flickr

We Had An Agreement by SirWyeth, on Flickr

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
That second one is super!

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Wyeth posted:

I have been shooting ultra wide angle street lately. Here are two from yesterday-

Really love both of them. The ultra wide is one hell of a sexy lens for street photography! Did you talk to your subjects in order to get the pic or did you just dive onto their feet? :D

Another shot, I really liked the tough pose of this cell phone photographer.

The photographer / 3 di maxmars70, su Flickr

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Clown posted:

That second one is super!

maxmars posted:

Really love both of them. The ultra wide is one hell of a sexy lens for street photography! Did you talk to your subjects in order to get the pic or did you just dive onto their feet? :D

Thanks! No, no talking. I was just wandering around sniping. At 17mm on full frame I was like a foot away from these people ;) I always try to catch that glance of recognition as they see the camera, but before they react to it. It's my favorite moment.

That look on her face is pretty funny, the crowd is distracting but at least she's the only one in focus! I like that woman in the front left also.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

I love how you have merged the visual elements of both man made infrastructure with the natural environment in which they are placed. The mixed colors in the surrounding grass really show the diverse environment in which we live.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

street indeed :radcat:

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

evil_bunnY posted:

street indeed :radcat:

Rule of thirds, man.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012
This kid is cool.

My Game is Sick by SirWyeth, on Flickr

Chocolate Cocaine
Dec 26, 2008

Does our definition of street also = candids of strangers in public? ie. grocery stores, bars, coffee shops and what not?

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Chocolate Cocaine posted:

Does our definition of street also = candids of strangers in public? ie. grocery stores, bars, coffee shops and what not?

I'd love to see them, please post. :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hell I even posted a photo I took inside a building! :O

I think just documenting human life the way one would document wildlife... That's the definition of "street photography." To me, at least.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ManiacMatt posted:

Just starting out, so I hope I don't offend anyone with how terrible these are. But I thought I'd throw some here to get opinions, how to improve, etc.

I realized afterwards, that these pictures are in the reverse order of when they were taken during the day. This was just me walking around killing a few hours between a baseball game and a concert later that night.

These are all pretty good for just starting out. My one comment would be: the photos of people are all interesting and engaging, because people are interesting and engaging. Inanimate objects (even cars) need a little more help from the scene or from context to make them more interesting. Therefore, while I think your people pictures are good, I would like a little more context with the other pictures. Without something else going on, it's just "here's a picture of a car", "here's a picture of a pole." Does that make sense?

Keep it up though, you have a good eye for composition :)
Are you new to photography or just street photography?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I think good street photography should imply a story. I don't think it necessarily needs to be candid.

It's an elusive beast that requires a good eye, a lot of luck, patience and balls.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 19, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

aliencowboy posted:

It's an elusive beast that requires a good eye, a lot of luck, patience and balls.
Mostly the latter 3.
Mostly-mostly the last one.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

It also doesn't hurt to live in NY/London/Paris.

Chocolate Cocaine
Dec 26, 2008

When I said candid I guess I actually meant impromptu... these weren't really candid because I asked before I took the pictures.

This little girl did not want to stop for anything.

I asked if I could take her picture, and she said "Do I have to stop texting?"
The grain is an unfortunate side effect of my scanner. Don't quite know what I did wrong though.

Chocolate Cocaine
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Also, love these. Especially the top one. That kid is mean mugging you so hard.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!

QPZIL posted:

These are all pretty good for just starting out. My one comment would be: the photos of people are all interesting and engaging, because people are interesting and engaging. Inanimate objects (even cars) need a little more help from the scene or from context to make them more interesting. Therefore, while I think your people pictures are good, I would like a little more context with the other pictures. Without something else going on, it's just "here's a picture of a car", "here's a picture of a pole." Does that make sense?

Keep it up though, you have a good eye for composition :)
Are you new to photography or just street photography?

Actually just starting photography period. I have never really had a nice camera until recently, this was the first time I've ever really gone out with the intention just to shoot. Was a ton of fun.

Edit: thanks for the compliments by the way.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I got a very cheap refurbished Olympus E-P1 about a week ago to teach myself photography, I pretty much got the cheapest thing I could find that offered interchangeable lenses and full manual control to see if I was into it without breaking the bank. I've taken to it like nothing else in my life, I've never really had a creative hobby before and it's a great feeling, I work twelve hour shifts with lots of downtime so I've been reading tons of photography websites and books (Understanding Exposure really deserves all the praise it gets).

Street photography is really appealing to me, but I'm living in Central Florida which is... not exactly the best place for that. I'm in the 'burbs right now but I'm actually moving to downtown Orlando in a week or so so hopefully I can get more shots there. I almost got kicked out of a Moe's burrito place the other day for just having my camera out and not even shooting. Anyway, here's my first "street" shot, not actually on the street but in a public place:

You talkin' to me? by route-20, on Flickr

I grabbed this today while waiting in line to pick up a Snapr 35 I ordered from Adorama, which ended up not being ready. Apparently I have to wait for them to attempt delivery before I can pick it up at the post office. I really like this shot though, so it was worth it!

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 19, 2012

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Chocolate Cocaine posted:

Also, love these. Especially the top one. That kid is mean mugging you so hard.

Thanks! He called me dirty angry things to his friend as they walked by.

I shot some street this weekend with my creaky old TLR-

Overalls by SirWyeth, on Flickr

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
I found myself waiting outside a small shop, but in good company at least. We had the same facial expression.

Dogs not allowed di maxmars70, su Flickr

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

maxmars posted:

I found myself waiting outside a small shop, but in good company at least. We had the same facial expression.

Dogs not allowed di maxmars70, su Flickr

I like it. I feel like it would be a lot stronger, though, if the person holding the leash was cropped out. That way you're left wondering whether someone is holding it, he's tied up, and WHAT THE HELL IS HE LOOKING AT???

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Krakkles posted:

I like it. I feel like it would be a lot stronger, though, if the person holding the leash was cropped out. That way you're left wondering whether someone is holding it, he's tied up, and WHAT THE HELL IS HE LOOKING AT???

There is no person holding it. :) it's been tied up to a big vase.

Metalslug
Jul 17, 2002

...rather well, as it turned out. One night at a keg beer party I was offered a marijuana joint.
Hopefully getting better with the b&w processing.

Breakdown, 3:30am by Alan Grainger

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

QPZIL posted:

Mostly the latter 3.
Mostly-mostly the last one.

I think good street photography is about looking around and finding a scene or a group of people that are doing something that is somewhat interesting or may become interesting, and moving close to that spot and leaning up against a tree or a fence with your camera relaxed down by your side, not posing as a threat, and just hanging loose and watching things go by for a while, but keeping a sharp eye and knowing in the back of your mind that if something interesting happens you must capture it and be ready for it. It's all about the the one moment. You have to be constantly observing. And while you are there waiting you can peer around at other places and see if it's maybe better to be somewhere else. But if your goal is good street photography, then I think you have to take it slow, not fast. Luck is a part of it, but waiting for the right time is a bigger moment, and if you are already there and have blended in by becoming part of the background scenery it takes less balls and gumption to jump in for a quick shot. Then you make your getaway, quietly and comfortably, satisfied that everything was worth the wait.

I don't really have the patience for that. But if I made a point of doing it for a day, I would probably come away with some good photos. Walking along and snapping at the hip left and right, I think you'll get a lot of crappy shots.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Mannequin posted:

I think good street photography is about looking around and finding a scene or a group of people that are doing something that is somewhat interesting or may become interesting, and moving close to that spot and leaning up against a tree or a fence with your camera relaxed down by your side, not posing as a threat, and just hanging loose and watching things go by for a while, but keeping a sharp eye and knowing in the back of your mind that if something interesting happens you must capture it and be ready for it.

I don't like shooting that way. People are incredibly aware of their surroundings and there isn't really such a thing as nonthreating in my opinion if you're lingering with a camera. I like to keep moving although often I will be hawkeye watching a "situation" happening, but I'm rarely standing still camping waiting for a moment. Being in motion makes people more comfortable in my experience, I think they feel like you have some mission they aren't involved in.

I generally move through streets and crowds and do circuits, and then will just kinda jam my camera in to capture a moment and then peace out.

Lately though I have been engaging more subjects, looking for their facial reactions or expressions as a response to my presence.

Here's a shot from today, this guy was reacting to me but was almost agressive in his attempt to ignore my presence. You can kinda feel it in the photo which is weird.

The Front by SirWyeth, on Flickr

Wyeth fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 23, 2012

widunder
May 2, 2002
Thought somebody might like this. My friend went to his former hometown Beirut last year and shot the street life around town. He's finally put a book together (order info on his tumblr), and here are few I really liked. For those in Stockholm who are curious (or would like to help him recoup his money at a reduced rate), there's a vernissage on October 4.

widunder fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 23, 2012

widunder
May 2, 2002

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Been a while between shares tbh.

Lost my SA login.

JCP120915-5 by The Real Cosh, on Flickr

JCP20120901-8314 by The Real Cosh, on Flickr

JCP201200505-8120 by The Real Cosh, on Flickr

Haven't been shooting much thanks to my new job. Hoping to get a lot done these holidays.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Oh my god that is a huge shawarma

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I really like these

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Nice. I like his expression.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012
One from this weekend. I have been shooting on rapid fire H mode so I can capture people's reaction to the camera, it's really resonating with me nowadays.

Fry Contact by SirWyeth, on Flickr

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Nice! Love the scene.
Another shot where I tried to frame a "special" moment:

The jump di maxmars70, su Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012
No eye contact in this one, he was a character though.

The Long Con by SirWyeth, on Flickr