Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hashal posted:

I'm also finding it a lot easier to find lower mileage Cherokees compared to the 4runners. Can anyone throw a ballpark price for adding a locker to a '99 Cherokee?

An ARB air locker is like $900 not counting installation or a pump/tank/however you want to operate it. I'd say you're easily looking at $1500 for a selectable locker. I would strongly recommend against a mechanical type locker on a DD. Well....on anything other than a drag car really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Depends.

Around $1k-1200 for parts for a selectable (OX locker, ARB, Yukon Zip locker, etc) is a reasonable expectation. Stay away from aftermarket E-lockers, I've never met anyone who had one work right without loving about with it for a long time.

Various Torsen/LSD/full case auto lockers (Detroit, others) will run you $500-600 parts.

Aussie lockers and other similar "lunchbox lockers" that automatically lock when you get on the throttle or engine brake are generally around $350 for parts and install in an afternoon in your driveway. In a rear axle application they will induce somewhat squirrely handling in slippery conditions until you get used to it, I suggest parking lot practice if you go this route, or put it in the front diff instead. I'm running an aussie in my front diff that I got used for $200 and it hasn't let me down yet.

There's always the "lincoln locker" or "miller locker" (fill in the brand of your largest welder here...) but I generally don't recommend those for anything but dedicated trail rigs because you can basically double the tire budget due to excessive wear on-road and they don't handle very nicely. You'll also have to get used to that wonderful "someone just ran over a pack of chihuahuas" sound and the resulting stares from pedestrians every time you make a sharp corner or pull into a parking space.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hashal posted:

From my research the Limited came with an electric button to switch from 2WD to 4HI on the fly, but the locker was still optional on all models. Being in San Diego, there is probably a good chance more of these actually have lockers on them and just aren't listed in the ad's I'm looking at. Time to start calling.

Edit:
I'm also finding it a lot easier to find lower mileage Cherokees compared to the 4runners. Can anyone throw a ballpark price for adding a locker to a '99 Cherokee?

The 98 cherokee is pretty much identical as long as it has the 8.25" rear end (you can tell by looking at the diff cover). You can install an aussie locker into the rear which will make it very capable as well. I've ran them in some different vehicles and they worked very well both on and off road.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

The 98 cherokee is pretty much identical as long as it has the 8.25" rear end (you can tell by looking at the diff cover). You can install an aussie locker into the rear which will make it very capable as well. I've ran them in some different vehicles and they worked very well both on and off road.

Are aussie lockers that much better than Detroits? Because Detroits add a pretty terrifying handling "quirk" unless you know what you're doing. Letting someone else drive your truck is pretty much right out unless they know what's up. Just doesn't seem like a reasonable daily driver type of thing, especially if you ever see snow/ice on tarmac or even just wet and slippery roads.

Not to mention the fact that unless your climb is straight you're screwed. There is a tight corner on a steep incline in one of the spots I hunt. The guy with the Detroit locker can't make it up in the rain. He's fine, right until he hits that turn and it unlocks.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Do lunchbox lockers cause that kind of handling problem when they're in the front axle of a part-time 4wd system, like a Wrangler?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EightBit posted:

Do lunchbox lockers cause that kind of handling problem when they're in the front axle of a part-time 4wd system, like a Wrangler?

If the hubs are unlocked the axles are disconnected so there's no way for anything going on in there to matter. If the hubs are locked but the transfer case is in 2 wheel drive there's no power going to the diff to cause the locker to actuate (at least in the case of a Detroit....I can't comment on other styles).

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Motronic posted:

If the hubs are unlocked the axles are disconnected so there's no way for anything going on in there to matter. If the hubs are locked but the transfer case is in 2 wheel drive there's no power going to the diff to cause the locker to actuate (at least in the case of a Detroit....I can't comment on other styles).

This would be a TJ, so the hubs don't unlock, ever.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EightBit posted:

This would be a TJ, so the hubs don't unlock, ever.

Oh yeah...the post-CJ cost cutting. I forgot about that.

Either way, if a Detroit isn't being powered, it doesn't lock so it should be fine. While you're up there you might as well try to get some (un)lockable hubs for when you eventually break something up there with a locker. I'm not being snarky here.....it's gonna happen, and if you can unlock your hubs you get to drive home rather than fix it on the trail.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Agreed, except I say spend your $900 on 14 pairs of spare axleshafts+unit bearings and some tools and learn to change the shafts yourself instead of spending it on a locking hub kit :v:

I can have a busted jeep with a blown axleshaft up off the ground, shaft out, new shaft in, wheel back on and down on the ground again in under 15 minutes with a preassembled spare shaft/bearing assembly, tools, and practice, it is far more practical than a locking hub kit and it leaves me with a functioning front axle after any breakage occurs.

I've never seen an obstacle that keeps an autolocker (warning: I've only ever run aussies) from relocking after you navigate a corner, either. Either it's momentum-based hill climbing (I.e. jeep pinball) and he simply can't afford to slow/stop or his locker sucks. Weekend before last I made it up a rock garden that should have denied me and had to back up a foot or two and try the last rock a second time and the locker went right back to doing its thing every time I put it in gear, whether it was first or reverse. Maybe it is a detroit truetrac or posi differential rather than an autolocker?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

They aren't for everyone, but they sure are cheap, easy to work on (for the most part - some of the Disco 2 electronics are a pain in the rear end), and readily available. Live axles with coils, sufficient power for their size, very good flex right out of the box..... They are ridiculously capable in stock trim, just like a Wrangler.

You forgot to mention head gaskets made of cheese. :cheeky:

I just threw the Discovery out there because they are ridiculously cheap for the amount of "stuff" included. I need to post some pictures from my exploration I did the other day. Nothing to hard core, but it was fun to get out and run the Rover around.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Motronic posted:

Oh yeah...the post-CJ cost cutting. I forgot about that.

Either way, if a Detroit isn't being powered, it doesn't lock so it should be fine. While you're up there you might as well try to get some (un)lockable hubs for when you eventually break something up there with a locker. I'm not being snarky here.....it's gonna happen, and if you can unlock your hubs you get to drive home rather than fix it on the trail.

I'm not going to bother with unlockable hubs, as they would only help if I grenade the differential. The other common failures (snapped axle shaft, broken yokes, ball joints, etc.) still require a trail fix. And that would require different wheels I'm sure, and I just bought these to replace a set that was stolen.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Agreed, except I say spend your $900 on 14 pairs of spare axleshafts+unit bearings and some tools and learn to change the shafts yourself instead of spending it on a locking hub kit :v:

Valid point. But that's up to you and whether you are a trail mechanic or not. Not everyone is.

kastein posted:

Maybe it is a detroit truetrac or posi differential rather than an autolocker?

It's quite assuredly an autolocker. I can HEAR it clunk back to locked as he straightens out on the road, same as the one I had in the back of my '74 F250.

I'm sure you could momentum your way on through it if you were good enough and familiar enough with the turn/hill....but my point remains the same: they are no replacement for a selectable locker because of exactly things like that. They are a great budget option and beat the hell out of no locker at all, but if you can afford the extra cash and truly need a locker get one that's selectable. I'm not sure I've every spoken with anyone who's had both and would disagree with that sentiment.

But in reality, this all comes down to budgets and expectations.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Motronic posted:

Valid point. But that's up to you and whether you are a trail mechanic or not. Not everyone is.

But I'll be damned if I don't aspire to be one :allears:.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Something to consider instead of a locker is a winch. It won't get you out of some situations, but it might let you try something you wouldn't think of otherwise with open diffs. For a Cherokee you'll probably want a new front bumper to hold the winch, so unfortunately the cost will probably be about the same as getting a locker put in ($1000 or so, i.e. $500 or so for the bumper and winch each).

The only real gripe I have about the Cherokee is the spare tire situation. The stock tire sits in the back against the window. If you upgrade to 31" or bigger tires you'll have a hard or impossible time fitting one back there. You can get a roof basket/rack for cheap and toss the tire up there, but then you need to lug it up/down and are increasing the center of gravity. You can leave the tire in the back lying flat, but then you lose a lot of space and utility as a daily driver. Finally you can get rear bumpers with tire mounts but they are not cheap--at least $600-1000 or so.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Motronic posted:

Not to mention the fact that unless your climb is straight you're screwed. There is a tight corner on a steep incline in one of the spots I hunt. The guy with the Detroit locker can't make it up in the rain. He's fine, right until he hits that turn and it unlocks.
Seems like poor driving skill if he can't negotiate something in a locked truck that open diffed trucks are making. It often takes a different approach than an open diff though. However, you're exactly right that a selectable locker is nicer if you can swing the cost.

There's no doubt that an autolocker introduces some weird handling quirks that take a little getting used to, but it's much less of an issue out west where you're not necessarily wheeling in muddy or icy situations very often. On dry roads and trails an autolocker (Aussie, Detroit, Lock-right etc) rarely does anything surprising. An auto tranny and bigger, softer tires make it even less of an issue. My mother used to borrow my 4runner to go to the mall once in a while and never noticed the lock-right in the rear end.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

murphle posted:

On dry roads and trails an autolocker (Aussie, Detroit, Lock-right etc) rarely does anything surprising.

We don't disagree at all on that point. I'm talking about using a normal level of acceleration in a corner in wet, snowy or icy conditions. In no universe is it a normal driving dynamic to "reverse understeer" out of a corner. I consider that kind of thing (along with wandering pig syndrome in trucks that were lifted too far without correcting the caster angle) pretty horrible and unsafe road manners.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Motronic posted:

We don't disagree at all on that point. I'm talking about using a normal level of acceleration in a corner in wet, snowy or icy conditions. In no universe is it a normal driving dynamic to "reverse understeer" out of a corner. I consider that kind of thing (along with wandering pig syndrome in trucks that were lifted too far without correcting the caster angle) pretty horrible and unsafe road manners.

I don't follow, what do you mean by "reverse understeer"? Because my truck just wants to throw the rear end out if you stand on the go pedal through a corner, i.e. oversteer. Applying power locks the diff, and it behaves like a spool. Normally I would just coast through tight corners if that much slippage is going to be an issue. Trying to get on and off the gas repeatedly through a slippery corner would cause weird behavior, but who drives like that? Smooth application of power to exit a corner doesn't cause me any problems. A week or two of driving with the locker was enough time to get used to its small quirks. Now, I may have had an easier time than normal since the 4runner has a slightly longer wheel base than your typical jeep, and the 35" tires soak up a lot of driveline weirdness.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It can be pretty squirrely in snow but other than that, it's not that big a deal. I certainly wouldn't lend a rear autolocker equipped truck to any sunday drivers without first teaching them how to drive it properly, but most people don't want anything to do with driving my truck anyways.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Do you guys consider an Xterra a viable contender in the sub $7000 range or is that laughable in here? You can get an early 2000s around 100k miles for $5-6000.

I came across this Top 10 Weekend Wagons for $5000 on (Cheap!) Used SUV Market - Popular Mechanics- in my searching around and it has the Xterra mentioned. I'd be worried about about reliability issues like I've seen in a lot of early 2000 Nissan's. This including my 2001 I30 I'll be selling or trading in partly because it's a head-ache. I know almost nothing about the Xterra and I don't trust the reviews I come across nearly as much as I do here.

Again - this will be a 22 day a month freeway car, and 1 or 2 day a month light trail runner. I try to reserve the rest of the month for the sports car. Any So Cal goons - I'm looking for something that can do every Green run and a good amount of yellow on the annual TDS runs (do they still do those? Haven't been in 10 years).

Ninja Edit: They are very much still alive. poo poo, trails used to be labeled Green, Yellow, Red. Now they got a fancy 9 point system. The Tierra Del Sol San Diego 4x4 Club This is some of the most fun I've had four-wheeling.

I'm looking to get to a 2.5 with a stock vehicle. 4runner and Jeeps cover this.

I'd like a to eventually get to a 3.0 on their trail rating. I'm assuming a 4runner lifted with a factory locker and good tires could handle this. A lifted Jeep may handle these but may need a locker for some.

Is an Xterra ever capable of a 3.0? Are they even capable of a 2.5 stock? Is there an aftermarket and are they problem prone like early 2000s Nissan cars? The price makes them very attractive.

I apologize for the wall of text...

quote:

1 -
Improved / Graded Dirt Road: Passable by most standard vehicles, excluding vehicles with low hanging body panels, or are designed for on road sport driving with ultra low ride and tire section height .

1.5 -
Graded Dirt Road: Still passable by most 2wd vehicles, however caution is required and lower speeds may be necessary for vehicles with less clearance. Small rocks (less than 5”) may be embedded in road surface. Sufficient room for passing on most of the road. Some steep grades possible. AWD required if road is wet or icy.

2 -
Formed Track: Not passable by standard passenger vehicles.High clearance preferred, AWD preferred. Steep grades present, larger rocks embedded in trail (less than 7”). Some loose trail surfaces and shallow water crossings possible. A spotter may be required on the most challenging portions to prevent body damage on vehicles with less clearance. Sand and dry washes may challenge available traction requiring lower air pressure on some vehicles. Trail may be narrow and require backing to allow other vehicles to pass.

2.5 -
Rugged Track: Not suitable for 2wd vehicles, or low clearance cross over vehicles. AWD required, Low Range preferred. Rutted, crossed axle terrain possible, with loose, steep climbs required. Deep sand possible. Some rock crawling possible on loose rocks up to 8” in diameter. Some larger rocks may be present, possibly requiring a spotter to negotiate. Small ledges possible, with larger embedded rocks present. Water crossing to 12” possible. Loose surfaces will be present, with tight clearance, smaller margin for error, and the possibility of body damage. Within the capability of any high clearance stock SUV or truck. AWD cross-over vehicles will struggle and may suffer damage due to lack of low range gearing.

3.0 -
Formed Trail: High Clearance SUV or Truck required with low range gearing. Trail will be very rough and heavily eroded, with large, loose rocks present and steep, loose climbs requiring good traction and driver skill to negotiate. Wheel placement critical. Skid plates required, along with larger tires (31”+) necessary to prevent damage. Deeper water and mud crossings possible. Parts of the trail may be entirely in a wash, with loose sand and large rocks present. Possibility of rock ledges, and severe crossed axle obstacles. Good suspension articulation required to maintain traction. Rear limited slip differential or traction control system recommended to limit trail and vehicle damage.

3.5 -
Rugged Trail: High Clearance SUV or Truck required, taller suspension and tires recommended. Few stock vehicles capable of completing the trail without damage. Very large rocks exceeding 12” present throughout trail requiring a spotter or heavily modified vehicle to traverse. Very loose and cambered climbs present, also heavily rutted requiring good suspension travel. Tall ledges present requiring good clearance or rocker panel protection. Little margin for error, and possibility of body damage. Tires must be 31”+ with aggressive tread and strong sidewalls. Lower tire pressure, skid plates, and limited slip or traction control required to prevent vehicle or trail damage. Rear locking differential and 32”+ tires recommended.

4.0 -
Challenging Trail: High clearance modified vehicle required. Not within the capability of a stock vehicle without damage. Trail likely in river or wash bottom with very large rocks present. Deep mud possible requiring aggressive tires and higher speeds. Water crossings in excess of 24” possible. Heavily rutted and crossed axle terrain present, with large ledges and very steep hills with embedded and loose rocks. Body protection required to prevent damage, with good skid plates and stronger (or spare) steering components necessary. Winching and extraction possible. 32” tires, rear locking differential and flexible suspension required. 33” tires and front locking differential recommended.

4.5 -
Extreme Trail: Heavily modified vehicle required.
Extreme rock crawling, with very large ledges present requiring winching for shorter wheelbase (SWB) vehicles. Body and drivetrain damage likely. Very cambered terrain may cause roll-over’s. Water crossings may be hood high, and mud will be very deep and heavily rutted. Vehicles will require heavy modifications. 33”+ tires required, along with front and rear locking differentials in upgraded axles. 35-37” tires recommended. Winch required on SWB vehicles. Roll cages or full metal roof required. Driver must be experienced.

5.0 -
No Trail!: Custom vehicle, very experienced driver required. Competition level vehicles on insane terrain with frequent roll-over’s and drivetrain damage. Full custom vehicles with massive axles, 37”+ tires, cutting brakes, very low gears, 1 ton drivetrain, and custom chassis.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 19, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My Cherokee had open front, Aussie Rear. My Father's K10 Chevy has Aussie front, with lockable hubs, and open rear. Finally I have Selectable locker front, Selectable rear with posilok or whatever the gen2 d44 has in the JK.

The JK is the most capable going up technical climbs, and running fully locked down an obstacle offers some extra stability that an open diff or auto locker would have.

That said, on a steep incline that requires some maneuvering, the aussie locked rear in the cherokee provided the locked diff performance but more turning ability. Locking and unlocking the diffs to make a sharp uphill technical turn can be a pain. On road manners even in the snow were fine. No different than a posi type diff except noisy when trying to park.

The aussie front behaved really well also. More road friendly with hubs locked transfer case unlocked than the aussie in the rear.

Fully locked in the JK is useless for anything but straight shots at obstacles.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hashal posted:

Do you guys consider an Xterra a viable contender in the sub $7000 range or is that laughable in here? You can get an early 2000s around 100k miles for $5-6000.

I came across this Top 10 Weekend Wagons for $5000 on (Cheap!) Used SUV Market - Popular Mechanics- in my searching around and it has the Xterra mentioned. I'd be worried about about reliability issues like I've seen in a lot of early 2000 Nissan's. This including my 2001 I30 I'll be selling or trading in partly because it's a head-ache. I know almost nothing about the Xterra and I don't trust the reviews I come across nearly as much as I do here.

Again - this will be a 22 day a month freeway car, and 1 or 2 day a month light trail runner. I try to reserve the rest of the month for the sports car. Any So Cal goons - I'm looking for something that can do every Green run and a good amount of yellow on the annual TDS runs (do they still do those? Haven't been in 10 years).

Ninja Edit: They are very much still alive. poo poo, trails used to be labeled Green, Yellow, Red. Now they got a fancy 9 point system. The Tierra Del Sol San Diego 4x4 Club This is some of the most fun I've had four-wheeling.

I'm looking to get to a 2.5 with a stock vehicle. 4runner and Jeeps cover this.

I'd like a to eventually get to a 3.0 on their trail rating. I'm assuming a 4runner lifted with a factory locker and good tires could handle this. A lifted Jeep may handle these but may need a locker for some.

Is an Xterra ever capable of a 3.0? Are they even capable of a 2.5 stock? Is there an aftermarket and are they problem prone like early 2000s Nissan cars? The price makes them very attractive.

I apologize for the wall of text...

My brother in law runs xterrafirma.com and loves his.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

murphle posted:

I don't follow, what do you mean by "reverse understeer"? Because my truck just wants to throw the rear end out if you stand on the go pedal through a corner, i.e. oversteer. Applying power locks the diff, and it behaves like a spool. Normally I would just coast through tight corners if that much slippage is going to be an issue. Trying to get on and off the gas repeatedly through a slippery corner would cause weird behavior, but who drives like that?

I'm talking about the front end going in the opposite direction of understeer. For example, making a right turn from a stop....you roll on the noisy pedal and start going. Locker unlocks, and now your right rear wheel is the only thing pushing you. Apply too much throttle (which isn't too much without a locker) and you tend to shove the front end OUT of your corner. I totally get that with more throttle than that you'll oversteer, but it was that inbetween that really pissed me off with the detroit in slipper conditions.

Possibly this bad behaviour was exacerbated by my tires, which sucked on wet tarmac and snow (35" Swamper TSL SXes). Yes, this was back in my days of thinking the best way to tackle obstacles was by brute force and size. I was young and stupid. Now I'm just slightly less stupid.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

Hashal posted:

Anecdotal, but I had a 2004 v6 xterra with 265/75/16 BFP AT/KOs and Bilstein shocks as the only mods (besides removing body accessories and cutting plastic), and I never had a problem keeping up with 4runners, Rangers, and Cherokees. This was in Florida, however, so it was never really rock or hill climbing, but instead churning through swamp water and sticky mud, or crawling down sugar sand trails.

The low range gearing is impressively torquey and the stock ground clearance is pretty good. You'll always be limited in suspension travel by the IFS I guess, but that's the same story with a 4runner or a Ranger too.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Motronic posted:

I'm talking about the front end going in the opposite direction of understeer. For example, making a right turn from a stop....you roll on the noisy pedal and start going. Locker unlocks, and now your right rear wheel is the only thing pushing you. Apply too much throttle (which isn't too much without a locker) and you tend to shove the front end OUT of your corner. I totally get that with more throttle than that you'll oversteer, but it was that inbetween that really pissed me off with the detroit in slipper conditions.

Possibly this bad behaviour was exacerbated by my tires, which sucked on wet tarmac and snow (35" Swamper TSL SXes). Yes, this was back in my days of thinking the best way to tackle obstacles was by brute force and size. I was young and stupid. Now I'm just slightly less stupid.

An open differential turns both tires with the same torque at all times, so if they both have grip they are both pushing. It's simple physics, don't keep spreading that misbelief about differentials.

This is pretty typical behavior of a Detroit-style locker; the locker works to keep both wheels at least turning at input speed (reduced by the pinion gear, but you get the idea). The result of locking it up on dry pavement with throttle applied is that you'll get a pretty strong push in the direction that the rear wheels are facing. This isn't reverse-understeer, it's plain understeer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EightBit posted:

An open differential turns both tires with the same torque at all times, so if they both have grip they are both pushing. It's simple physics, don't keep spreading that misbelief about differentials.

This is pretty typical behavior of a Detroit-style locker; the locker works to keep both wheels at least turning at input speed (reduced by the pinion gear, but you get the idea). The result of locking it up on dry pavement with throttle applied is that you'll get a pretty strong push in the direction that the rear wheels are facing. This isn't reverse-understeer, it's plain understeer.

Call it what you like, it's "not proper road behaviour" in my book. You explanation makes sense, but I wasn't trying to dissect the physics of things, just explain the effects of what happens in the real world with that setup. It was not happening with the factory LSD and it was extremely pronounced after the Detroit went in.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Motronic posted:

Call it what you like, it's "not proper road behaviour" in my book. You explanation makes sense, but I wasn't trying to dissect the physics of things, just explain the effects of what happens in the real world with that setup. It was not happening with the factory LSD and it was extremely pronounced after the Detroit went in.

By no means is it normal road manners, for an unlocked differential, or an LSD. LSD's don't usually have full lock-up and won't produce this behavior.

Like everyone else said, be prepared to never loan out that vehicle or drive it in the winter.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm gonna go ahead and jynx myself by saying that I intend to drive my auto-locker equipped MJ this winter, it's in the front diff but I'll probably end up using 4x4 often if it's snowy.

Put myself into the ditch on my first drive in snow with it last winter (during our freak October snowstorm - 8" on Halloween, leaves still on the trees so half of the town was without power and roadblocked by downed limbs) but fortunately, the locker also meant I got myself right back out of the ditch just as quickly. Would have been a long walk or a wrecker bill without it. It certainly handles a bit oddly getting on and off the throttle with the autolocker but it's quite predictable once you get used to it.

I should have my studded snow tires on for this winter, too, I can't wait. Only had regular old BFG ATs for last winter.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

rally posted:

What this guy said. You need a 1999 Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 and 8.25 rear end. You can get something with less than 150k miles on it for $3000 or maybe less depending on your area. Then you take the another 2k of your budget and turn it into something really amazing and keep the rest for all the $100~ repairs you'll be performing yourself.

How can I tell if these have the 8.25 rear, or do all of the '99 Sports have them?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Hashal posted:

How can I tell if these have the 8.25 rear, or do all of the '99 Sports have them?

99 has an 8.25 as an option.

quick rule of thumb is abs = dana 35, but best to check the covers

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah definitely check the axle--my non-ABS '99 has a D35. :( Not a big deal though since I really just take it out on washed out forest roads and such.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Thanks for the picture. Is there anything on the car itself that will identify if it has ABS? I'll look at the diff either way, but may help when looking at pictures on Craigslist and such.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
To make it somewhat easier, the 8.25 has a flat bottom edge on the diff housing which protrudes a little below the round lip of the cover.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Just got back from a 2 week off road trip in Arizona/Utah/New Mexico and Utah... I'm pooped..

Stopped over in Vegas for 2 days for the Barrett Jackson auction on the way back...made a note to never store a chocolate bar in the glove compartment.

Met a few folks from AM General about the Humvee Commercial project including looking at pictures of it and some other details.. but I have to double check to see if I can talk more about it.

Friend of mine brought along a nicely beefed up 92 Hummer running a 6BT with an Allison and tons of drivetrain upgrades... except for the upper control arms, one of which ripped the ball joint out of the arm which took some creative use of a few mallets and ratchet straps to get the truck off the trail and back to the hotel where we were able to barely order a new [reinforced] upper control arm and had it overnighted to the hotel.

Nothing like doing repairs in a motel parking lot...

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.. Moab is pretty.

My truck ran fine, no issues other than a leaky valve cover that I'll fix this week and my 4L80E throwing a code about a speed sensor.. feels like my 1-2 shift solenoid may need to be swapped out, I guess I'll get that done this week as well.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 23, 2012

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Would anyone recommend a turn of the century suburban/tahoe for light offroading? I've been looking for something to do double duty as a race car hauler and a offroader. I was originally looking at touaregs, but have given up on them since I cant find any I like and the reliability concerns.
What should I look for? Difference between the 5.7 (-99) and 5.3(00-)? I know the tahoe would be preferable for offroad with the shorter wheelbase, but is the burban capable?

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011
I was out trying to get dirty on the (Canadian) long weekend, and I found a little bit of a jump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9ijEYZjIRE

The whole island seems to be locked down, as it hasn't rained since mid august and the forestry companies control access. It's supposed to start raining later this week, which should open up some of the gates and make my weekends a little more interesting.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

It was fun in the holes... but so far its taken me about 4hrs to just clean the bullbar, wheels, engine bay and wheel arches, and panel beat and re-weld the front bash plate again

On a positive, I now know what it looks like when the poo poo hits the fan!

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Geared Hub posted:

Just got back from a 2 week off road trip in Arizona/Utah/New Mexico and Utah... I'm pooped..

:words: about wheeling

I'm pretty loving jealous.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

commissargribb posted:

I'm pretty loving jealous.

Long trips is a toss up especially if you aren't using a trailer towed rig. Hopefully you won't break bad enough that you are stuck. Some guys blew diffs and transmissions on that run and thats expensive when you are stuck in Moab :/

After the trip I found out all 3 of my u-joints are toast on my driveshafts... one almost fell out of the transfer case.. so yeah.. 12 year old u-joints + moab = toasty.. :v: No choice when you lock the t-case and diffs once in a while while driving around on a miles long giant rock.

That and I was apparently wheeling with a cracked transmission cross member. Didn't stop me though :3:

loving CB whackers running linear amped radios can go to hell, was reminded of that 12-14,000 feet up in the Rockies in Colorado and half the CB channels were flooded by idiots far far away... the mountains were bouncing the signals all over the place.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 10, 2012

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
I thought there weren't enough pictures in this thread, and I haven't posted my truck in this thread since I slapped some new paint on it!

Fresh at the end of last summer:

Out for a drive/hike last weekend:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
This thread shouldn't be so far back.

I managed to keep it pretty clean but then the boys wanted to try driving and they found the mudhole infinitely entertaining.