Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

CloseFriend posted:

I didn't know until now that the PSP didn't have regional lockout for its games. I have the localized Devil Summoner games in my backlog. Do you consider it worthwhile for me to import the Japanese versions of the first two before I play the Raidou games? I could probably use the Japanese practice, but honestly, P2IS (EDIT: Fixed.) is the oldest Megami Tensei game that doesn't drive me up the loving wall.

The first two Devil Summoner games and the Raidou games have almost nothing to do with each other, it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

TurnipFritter posted:

P2: EP PSP Stuff

Is there anywhere that has a summary of the extra scenario? I'm curious, but P2 is too grindy for me. Plus, you know, its in Japanese.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

DeathBySpoon posted:

Is there anywhere that has a summary of the extra scenario? I'm curious, but P2 is too grindy for me. Plus, you know, its in Japanese.

This is the best summary I could find in English (heyo there are some bigass spoilers for both EP and IS in that), but this part "Having called a hit on herself in order to get his attention, she desires revenge for the death of her little brother who was killed by Tatsuya Sudou during the Araya Shrine incident on the Other Side." is... inaccurate. What happened was instead of burning down the Alaya Shrine like in IS's timeline, Sudou ended up murdering her younger brother.[spoiler] So at the end of the scenario [spoiler]her Shadow is pissed she feels like Tatsuya traded her little brother's life for Maya's.

There's also a fuckton of Lovecraft stuff shoved in there, but most of it is "Oh look, here is a brief boss fight against a thing from a Lovecraft story."

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

The extra Tatsuya scenario tries to tie it in with P3, so yes. :v:

Ok, gotya. Is the quoted bit actually a thing, then?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

DeathBySpoon posted:

Ok, gotya. Is the quoted bit actually a thing, then?

The NWO is experimenting with creating artificial persona users, and EP takes place in 1999. It doesn't say that the Kirijo group is affiliated with the NWO or anything, but it introduces the idea that it's A Thing and people are trying to Make It Happen back in 1999.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Cool, thanks.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
How long did it take between the Japan release of IS and the US announcement, anyway? I mean, i'm seriously wondering if they really ARE planning to skip localizing EP, which would just be insanely lovely.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I don't know I think it'd be hilarious if they only released one half of P2 in the West again, except the other half this time. :bravo:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

I don't know I think it'd be hilarious if they only released one half of P2 in the West again, except the other half this time. :bravo:

Yeah, if it's anything ATLUS would want to do now it is utterly piss off the other half of their anglophone fanbase.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

If Atlus USA somehow found the time and money to localize Growlanser and yet another Sting game then they could probably grind away at Eternal Punishment.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I'm betting the profits from Code of Princess and P4G will fuel P2EP's localization, seeing them make the same mistake twice seems like a major oversight considering P3P and P4G don't really need to exist.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

There's a bunch of pages in Famitsu about SMT4, but the screenshots are so tiny and most of it looks like stuff that was already in the trailer.

(Good lord these look terrible. I wasn't crazy about SJ's Milf Pinup Bosses, but at least Kaneko's stuff didn't look this bad)

Duckroll @ NeoGAF posted:

- Characters are designed by Doi, as expected, meh
- Meguro is not doing the soundtrack, Ryota Kozuka (???) is
- No Kaneko
- New demons are all designed by designers from various Kamen Rider and other similar type of Japanese live action stuff
- Main character isn't voiced! Yay
- Some of the battle graphics do look very much improved from Strange Journey, but it's still weird
- I think I see something that looks like a world map, but it might look like some sort of location selector like in SJ too.... not sure
- The story is set in some post-Tokyo-hosed-up-bigtime future, where Tokyo as we know it has fallen into darkness and the demon invasion is spreading
- The main characters are "Samurai" from Mikado of the East, a country where the Samurai wear gauntlets equipped with the Demon Summoning Program to fight demons

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Slightly expanded with more scans and info.

quote:

This week’s Famitsu has the first formal update on Shin Megami Tensei IV for 3DS.

The game is set in the country of East Mikado, which has a civilization like Medieval Europe. Tokyo is in ruins and covered by darkness, and demons run rampantly. Samurai are able to control the demons using gauntlets, which have a demon summon program built into them. Their mission is to exterminate demons from the country.

A list of characters is also provided:

Protagonist (CV: None) – an 18-year-old young man living in Mikado Country. He is a member of the samurais who exterminates demons.
Jonathan (CV: Hiroshi Kamiya) – a young man who has a gentle nature and good upbringing. He is an intermediary between the friends of individual samurais.
Izabo (CV: Miyuki Sawashiro) – the lone lady among the samurais, she is a veracious young woman with a strong mind. She seems cold at first, but she seems to have underlying layers.
Walter (CV: Katsuyuki Konishi) – a young man who seems to have bad behavior. Although he’s rough around the edges, he has a lot of passion.
Navarre (CV: Shintaro Ohata) – a high-energy young man with a strong sense of elitism. He hates to lose.
And some demons:

Raphael (Illustration: Keita Amemiya)
Asmodeus (Illustration: Yasushi Nirasawa)
Kogasabro (Illustration: Tamotsu Shinohara)
Omoikane (Illustration: Yoshi Nishimura)
Kuebiko (Illustration: Aki Kyoma)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

There's a bunch of pages in Famitsu about SMT4, but the screenshots are so tiny and most of it looks like stuff that was already in the trailer.

(Good lord these look terrible. I wasn't crazy about SJ's Milf Pinup Bosses, but at least Kaneko's stuff didn't look this bad)

Wow, yeah. Some of those designs are really obviously done by tokusatsu designers. They look like they're made to be made into suits that someone wears.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 19, 2012

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Monster designs courtesy of SNES era Squaresoft.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Wow, yeah. Some of those designs are really obviously done by tokusatsu designers. They look like they're made to be made into suits that someone wears.

We can only hope that they are suits, in the context of the game, and Kaneko demons are lurking inside.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
All of the demons contain other demons which contain main characters because you have to fight yourself and also your friends and also it's a fighting game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

We can only hope that they are suits, in the context of the game, and Kaneko demons are lurking inside.

I like those kind of designs so this doesn't really bother me actually!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

vanov posted:

All of the demons contain other demons which contain main characters because you have to fight yourself and also your friends and also it's a fighting game.

This sounds a lot better than what we're getting right now. Those monster designs... yikes!!

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 19, 2012

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Kinda sad that Meguro isn't on this (althought the soundtrack sounds good so far)but besides that this all looks great!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Everything after the green guy with Katanas is completely indiscernible to me as to what in the hell those things are supposed to be.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

DeathBySpoon posted:

Man, that ending. Just finished P3P again, on Hard for the first time. Going to do a NG+ run- how hard is it to max every S-Link on a second cycle without a guide? I figure not having to grind up my social stats will make it a lot easier. Should I still follow one or will I have more than enough time to figure it out on my own?

I ended up using a guide because I lost track of a few of the dates, but if you're fresh off an old playthrough, I don't think you'll have too much trouble.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Those Doi artworks are lookin' hella sharp. :whatup:

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
So, since neither Kaneko or Meguro are working on SMT4, I'm really curious as to what they're up to. New Raidou vs.? New Persona game?

Those new demon designs are pretty bland, IMO. They really do look like tokusatsu characters. The characters are bland, too. Why the gently caress does there always have to be a bare chested guy? At the very least, the music sounds amazing, and the 3D exploration sections look cool.

EDIT: Man, Omoikane looks really different now.

ETURNA fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 19, 2012

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I am not even remotely surprised to find out tokusatsu designers are involved. When I saw that green and gold guy on the left side, I immediately thought of Kamen Rider. Nice to know I was actually right to think this.

Also: I like toku designs, so this is neat.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Turn A posted:

So, since neither Kaneko or Meguro are working on SMT4, I'm really curious as to what they're up to. New Raidou vs.? New Persona game?

Those new demon designs are pretty bland, IMO. They really do look like tokusatsu characters. The characters are bland, too. Why the gently caress does there always have to be a bare chested guy? At the very least, the music sounds amazing, and the 3D exploration sections look cool.

Meguro is definitely on the next Persona game and I hope Kaneko would be too, but we all know that won't happen.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Turn A posted:

EDIT: Man, Omoikane looks really different now.

A bare chested guy isn't a problem, the rest of the designs are.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Man those designs are.....something, can't say I care for them at all they look like grimdark digimon.

A bit saddened to see Meguro isn't doing the music but the track we have already sounds awesome so if the new guy can keep it around that quality I have no complaints on that front

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I figure Kaneko and Meguro are working on P5 since that's "officially in development" or whatever.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

vanov posted:

I figure Kaneko and Meguro are working on P5 since that's "officially in development" or whatever.

Kaneko is likely never returning to Persona now that Soejima has anime'd the series to oblivion.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Azure_Horizon posted:

Kaneko is likely never returning to Persona now that Soejima has anime'd the series to oblivion.
In his defense, he's just following the trend of all Japanese games. They just plain like that over there.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I wonder if all this promotion about a walled section means the game is going to have a fortress builder in the Suikoden style, but with demons. That would be neat.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't know if anyone in here has played Soul Hackers, but there are two things I don't understand.

- My whole party randomly takes shock damage in dungeons, apparently all dungeons. It just comes and goes and doesn't seem to be related to my location or to combat. Invisible traps on the floor? Some equipment or something I have on me that causes it?

- I bleed magnite with every step I take, is that normal?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't know if anyone in here has played Soul Hackers, but there are two things I don't understand.

- My whole party randomly takes shock damage in dungeons, apparently all dungeons. It just comes and goes and doesn't seem to be related to my location or to combat. Invisible traps on the floor? Some equipment or something I have on me that causes it?

- I bleed magnite with every step I take, is that normal?

I've never played Soul Hackers but in SMT1 and 2 you would lose MAG whenever you had demons summoned, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the same situation here.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WrightOfWay posted:

I've never played Soul Hackers but in SMT1 and 2 you would lose MAG whenever you had demons summoned, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the same situation here.
Well, there's an up-front cost to summon them, so you're saying there's an upkeep for them to stay summoned on top of that?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
That's right. I think it's the CP stat at the top right of the demon's status menu, which is the amount of MAG each demon uses up with every step you take. If you run out they start taking damage. I'm about 30 hours in and to save MAG (summoning demons from the book is super expensive) I only have two demons summoned, one of which has zero cost.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

uiruki posted:

That's right. I think it's the CP stat at the top right of the demon's status menu, which is the amount of MAG each demon uses up with every step you take. If you run out they start taking damage. I'm about 30 hours in and to save MAG (summoning demons from the book is super expensive) I only have two demons summoned, one of which has zero cost.
Oh, okay. Well, like I said, the earliest SMT game I have played before this is 3, so I hadn't experienced that. When my magnite runs out, is that why I am taking continuous damage?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Yeah, your demons at least take big damage when you're all out of magnetite. I can't remember if the human characters do as well. I haven't played any games which were released earlier either, though I'm tempted by the PS1 ports now that they work on Vita.

On a related note, the manual is absolutely terrible, missing out things like status ailments. Since the ailments are quite different to other games in the genre, it's very unhelpful not to be able to look them up easily.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So if they couldn't use Meguro, why couldn't they at least bring back Tsukasa Masuko? Seriously, that would basically be perfect. :mad: drat it, Atlus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm not so sure about those demon designs... :ohdear: