Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

jesus christ if you want a medium format mirrorless go buy a 120 rangefinder

Or one of these crazy Chinese contraptions

http://bythom.com/photokina2012littlethings.htm posted:

Fotoman Dmax--I'd heard of this camera out of China, but hadn't seen it before today. Owning a Fotoman Dmax will put you squarely in either the film or digital world, as you see fit. The medium to large format shifting back Dmax accepts Hasselblad, Mamiya, and Horseman film backs (a few sizes of each, not all of them), and it's also compatible with digital backs from Hasselblad, Phase One, Leaf, Mamiya, and Sinar. Up front you have your choice of a lot of large format lenses. The digital backs use a sliding back system where either a groundglass viewfinder or the back is place by sliding it into position. Basically the low cost high end solution to the high end landscape photographer that can't make up their minds what to shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Beastruction posted:

Or one of these crazy Chinese contraptions

I'd almost be tempted to buy the 45SPS if it had a rotating back. It's a pretty sleek design.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Apologies if this is technically an advice request, but does anyone know of some rear end-cheap studio hire space in London? I need two hours in a pokey white room, two plug sockets for my lights and white or black background choices. That's it. I'm looking to pay almost gently caress all per hour.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not sure which thread to put this in, so I'm sticking it here!

Does anyone know anything about this camera?

It's a Kodak Retina IIa with a Xenon lens, a family heirloom deal (bought by grandpa, has been handed down and is currently in the hands of my sister). She was taking pictures of my other sister's wedding with it, and I got to play with it a little bit. It was pretty cool to have solid metal components used to set up an exposure, though focusing was no fun at all.

I haven't seen any pictures out of it though, and I'm wondering if anyone around here has any opinion on the quality of the lens.

Camera is in pretty good condition.. sister says there were no light leaks on her test roll, and all the movable bits are smooth and precise. I told her she has to let me borrow it someday so I can dink around with it. :v:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Gazmachine posted:

Apologies if this is technically an advice request, but does anyone know of some rear end-cheap studio hire space in London? I need two hours in a pokey white room, two plug sockets for my lights and white or black background choices. That's it. I'm looking to pay almost gently caress all per hour.

http://esperostudio.co.uk/index.php/prices/ 30 per hour.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xzzy posted:

It's a Kodak Retina IIa with a Xenon lens, a family heirloom deal (bought by grandpa, has been handed down and is currently in the hands of my sister). She was taking pictures of my other sister's wedding with it, and I got to play with it a little bit. It was pretty cool to have solid metal components used to set up an exposure, though focusing was no fun at all.

I haven't seen any pictures out of it though, and I'm wondering if anyone around here has any opinion on the quality of the lens.

The rangefinder's probably crapped up with fifty years of dust. Get it CLA'd and it'll be a lot easier to focus. The shutter may be a bit slow, they rarely hit their spec even when new and the springs weaken and the shutters get grimy.

As for the lens, if it's a Xenon it's a Planar formula, same as a nifty fifty. It's probably coated (look at whether the lens has a colored sheen), and if so it will quite probably meet your expectations. Schneider pulled no punches on their lenses, particularly the high-end ones (which this is).

Overall, both a very collectible and a very shootable camera from the golden age of Kodak. Talk your sister into letting you go blow off some film doing sunny f/16 and I bet you'll love it. Particularly if you get that rangefinder cleaned (which, alone, shouldn't be expensive).

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wow Zeiss's new 55/1.4 is a real beast! I'm guessing this is really just a medium format lens made for DSLR mounts. Best way to get great corner-to-corner performance is to crop out the center of a large image circle.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Leica rage, Leica rage
Fills up all of a Facebook page

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

xzzy posted:

Like Paul MaudDib already stated it probably needs a CLA. But other than that it's quite a neat camera.

The lens is a double Gauss six element design, dating back to 1954, making it a postwar design - thus likely to be coated. It's a shrunk and improved Xenotar design (think Rolleiflex) - and everyone has their panties up in a bunch about those - so yeah this is a good lens.

My only worry, this being a folding camera, would be whether the front-standard is completely level to the film plane. Because, if it is not - all the resolving power will be wasted.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Maybe I'm just being a luddite, but after browsing through the Photokina news, I'm slightly sad that it seems camera manufacturers are moving away so much from traditional mirrored cameras. I know the idea of live view is nice and all but there's something about composing a photo through the viewfinder of an SLR that I'd be sad to lose.

It seems like so many people are thrilled with the new tech, I just can't get on that bandwagon.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Dracon Wolf posted:

I know the idea of live view is nice

Sure isn't.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

xzzy posted:

Does anyone know anything about this camera?

I know bugger-all about that camera other than my Grandad shot all the family photos with it and is still hoarding it even though he doesn't shoot anymore.

Here's a scan he did recently of a shot from the 50's:

Spedman fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 19, 2012

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Next epsiode is up. All about breastfeeding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFPLsBjMbfE

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

The rangefinder's probably crapped up with fifty years of dust. Get it CLA'd and it'll be a lot easier to focus. The shutter may be a bit slow, they rarely hit their spec even when new and the springs weaken and the shutters get grimy.

It wasn't hard to see through the rangefinder.. just the task of aligning the two images took some practice. Worse, I always seemed to turn the focusing ring the wrong way when making adjustments.

Though it may just be since I don't know what it was supposed to be like, I missed that it was clogged with dust. I only had serious problems focusing on low contrast subjects.

VomitOnLino posted:

My only worry, this being a folding camera, would be whether the front-standard is completely level to the film plane. Because, if it is not - all the resolving power will be wasted.

My sister said the test roll looked fine.. said everything that was supposed to be sharp, was. She just didn't bring any of the prints along for me to look at.

Not that I'm suggesting it doesn't need a tune-up, but it has spent most of the past 30 years in a box and reportedly was babied by grandpa, so it's probably about as good as one could expect.

Anyone know of any trustworthy shops that can do a CLA? Sister lives in LA so there'd have to be someone out there, right?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
There's a huge part of me that doesn't mind the live-view wildfire sweeping through the camera world right now. I'm kind of chalking it up as the second coming of the waist-level finder. When I was a kid, everyone squinted into tiny little viewfinders in their cameras. But when my parents were kids, people didn't. We've come full circle.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

thetzar posted:

There's a huge part of me that doesn't mind the live-view wildfire sweeping through the camera world right now. I'm kind of chalking it up as the second coming of the waist-level finder. When I was a kid, everyone squinted into tiny little viewfinders in their cameras. But when my parents were kids, people didn't. We've come full circle.

I use my NEX with the screen flipped out WLF-style all the time. However, I think a better comparison would be ground glass period as opposed to just WLFs.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

alkanphel posted:

Wow Zeiss's new 55/1.4 is a real beast! I'm guessing this is really just a medium format lens made for DSLR mounts. Best way to get great corner-to-corner performance is to crop out the center of a large image circle.

This was my assumption to, but I actually got to pose the question to a product manager at the convention, and he said it only covers 35mm. He also claimed that there was some internal doubt in Zeiss about making such a lens, until they all saw the result.

It's probably just the start of a family of lenses built for super-high resolution studio work, but the lenses are going to cost quite a bit (obviously, based on the amount of glass in them alone).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

moonduck posted:

This was my assumption to, but I actually got to pose the question to a product manager at the convention, and he said it only covers 35mm. He also claimed that there was some internal doubt in Zeiss about making such a lens, until they all saw the result.

Didn't seem to have any of that internal doubt when making cellphone camera lenses :v:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

moonduck posted:

It's probably just the start of a family of lenses built for super-high resolution studio work, but the lenses are going to cost quite a bit (obviously, based on the amount of glass in them alone).

That's interesting, guess all that crazy glass in there is to make the light falling on the sensor as strong as possible. And I remember reading somewhere that the lens will probably cost upwards of US$3000.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

alkanphel posted:

That's interesting, guess all that crazy glass in there is to make the light falling on the sensor as strong as possible. And I remember reading somewhere that the lens will probably cost upwards of US$3000.
Watch it fail to out resolve a 24-70 II

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Oh my good christ why is everything minimum two hours?

Thanks though, that's nice and cheap

EDIT: Have you used them yourself?

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 19, 2012

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7756434390/photokina-2012-interview-jesko-von-oeynhausen-of-leica

quote:

The M system is just very popular. You can see that in fashion, for example, too. Last week I was in London, and I found a fashion store that had Leica T-shirts in the window, with old Leicas. Leica cameras are very popular among young people.

what

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

kids these days :smug:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

quote:

These new customers - how to their expectations differ from your existing customer base?

It's the new features - they don't understand why any camera wouldn't have live view - they don't see a reason why a camera would omit that function. Older customers know rangefinders and have always been satisfied [by them] and accept the limitations. But new customers find it hard to understand rangefinder photography and what's so popular about it. The M system is more accessible now that we have these features. But I'm also sure that the new customers, once they've learned how to use the rangefinder they will love it and they will appreciate pure rangefinder photography.

So the new customers are excited about the features of the flagship model, but the enthusiast model, the ME, which is more affordable, lacks these features…

Ah, well now you've got me! Maybe we'll get more new customers with the new M than the ME. We cannot offer M at an entry-level price. We want people to understand that the M system is a family. The M, the ME, and the Monochrom. Three parallel models.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

quote:

Older film Leicas have lifespans stretching into the decades - do you think the same is true of the new digital M models? If someone buys an M today, will they still be using it in 60 years time?

I hope so, yes. It's harder than it was with fully mechanical cameras, but this is a unique selling point, I hope, of Leica cameras, that they are an investment, a product that you can have for your lifetime. I don't know how difficult it might be in twenty years to find batteries for these cameras, for example, but we will do everything possible. It's very important for us. For example, we had a problem with M8 displays, that we couldn't repair or replace anymore. In that case, we exchanged those customers' cameras for M9s. Even after the end of the guarantee period, we do not leave you alone if something like that happens.

That's actually pretty cool.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xzzy posted:

It wasn't hard to see through the rangefinder.. just the task of aligning the two images took some practice. Worse, I always seemed to turn the focusing ring the wrong way when making adjustments.

Though it may just be since I don't know what it was supposed to be like, I missed that it was clogged with dust. I only had serious problems focusing on low contrast subjects.

Yeah, that's the problem with old rangefinders. They generally have a half-silvered mirror in there that bounces half the light from the rangefinder window and lets half the viewfinder window's light come through. Over time the mirror tends to desilver, so the rangefinder image gets weak. It'll work fine on high-contrast edges but it gets hard to focus in low light or on less contrasty edges. It's not a hard or expensive fix usually, they just cut a piece of glass to fit and realign everything. A couple of my rangefinders suffer from the same thing. One thing you can do is put a bit of tape on the glass where the rangefinder patch sits, this will block out the viewfinder's light to help equalize things out.

quote:

My sister said the test roll looked fine.. said everything that was supposed to be sharp, was. She just didn't bring any of the prints along for me to look at.

Not that I'm suggesting it doesn't need a tune-up, but it has spent most of the past 30 years in a box and reportedly was babied by grandpa, so it's probably about as good as one could expect.

Anyone know of any trustworthy shops that can do a CLA? Sister lives in LA so there'd have to be someone out there, right?

There's gotta be someone in LA. I've always heard great things about Essex Camera in NJ. It sounds like it's working decently now, but it's a 60 year old camera and it's a good idea to do preventative maintenance before things get to be an issue (considering it's an heirloom).

The Retina is a really cool camera, it was designed and produced in Germany and unlike most of Kodak's other mass produced cameras was targeted at the high end of the market. As mentioned, the double-gauss design is a really good performer when done well. It's the basis for the Planar/Xenotar design, and actually dates back to the turn of the century. It was one of the few fast designs with few enough elements to avoid losing contrast with uncoated optics. Today it's the dominant design for fast 50mm lenses.

tl;dr go sunny-16 some film and report back.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Gazmachine posted:

Oh my good christ why is everything minimum two hours?

Thanks though, that's nice and cheap

EDIT: Have you used them yourself?

nah, I either shoot at my house or use an expensive studio

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
UK photographer:

There's a groupon offer today:

£449 for the EOS 600 model (25% off)

£579 for the EOS 650 model (28% off)

A quick glance at Amazon suggests that these are pretty good prices

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/ASK-Direct/10628658

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Jeez, those kids are really looking in to Large Format... champagne bottles.

e: gently caress, that Methuselah cost as much as my car.

squidflakes fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 20, 2012

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Also, hey. Some guy is trying to rub his expensive camera cock on some friends of mine, and he's claiming he gets SUPER ADVANCED BOKEH because his camera costs $5000.

Fellow dorkroomers, tell me if this bokeh doesn't look a little suspicious to you.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I've seen stuff like that with crazy lenses like a 200mm f/2.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
He's saying its an 85mm f/1.8. I've got an f/1.2 and have never seen the bokeh like that.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
:siren: SF Goons :siren:

The Friends of the SF Public Library Book Sale is happening this weekend at the Fort Mason Festival Pavilion and everyone should go! The place is huge, with probably a million books. There's a huge section for just photography books and another big section for art books. Paperbacks are only $2. Hardcovers are only $3. On Sunday everything will be $1 each.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

squidflakes posted:

He's saying its an 85mm f/1.8. I've got an f/1.2 and have never seen the bokeh like that.
What's so special about it?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Looks like a telephoto f1.X lens with trees in the background to me, I'm trying to figure out what you think the issue is?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

squidflakes posted:

Also, hey. Some guy is trying to rub his expensive camera cock on some friends of mine, and he's claiming he gets SUPER ADVANCED BOKEH because his camera costs $5000.

Fellow dorkroomers, tell me if this bokeh doesn't look a little suspicious to you.

K*Rock has a whole section of his blog for it, but your guy is talking out of his rear end. The 'artistic' quality of bokeh depends on the smoothness of transition and uniformity of the OOF areas. The upper right corner (for example) has football-shaped bokeys with hard edges, there's also reasonably well-defined lines in the bokeys elsewhere. If it's distracting, it's bad, basically.

It's also possible he did some kind of circular blur since all the oval bokeh shapes are perpendicular to the center of the frame, and probably sharpened the poo poo out of the in-focus areas.

If he wants to :spergin: out about the 'quality' of his $5000 bokeys, he should just buy a Leica. But the best bokeh-riffic lenses are the Nikon DC twosome, 135mm and 105mm.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

red19fire posted:

K*Rock has a whole section of his blog for it, but your guy is talking out of his rear end. The 'artistic' quality of bokeh depends on the smoothness of transition and uniformity of the OOF areas. The upper right corner (for example) has football-shaped bokeys with hard edges, there's also reasonably well-defined lines in the bokeys elsewhere. If it's distracting, it's bad, basically.

It's also possible he did some kind of circular blur since all the oval bokeh shapes are perpendicular to the center of the frame, and probably sharpened the poo poo out of the in-focus areas.

If he wants to :spergin: out about the 'quality' of his $5000 bokeys, he should just buy a Leica. But the best bokeh-riffic lenses are the Nikon DC twosome, 135mm and 105mm.

It isn't super creamy, but it isn't bad. Not to mention that any lens that isn't wide open should produce hard edge circles on any point source of light and even then it isn't bad if its sharp wide open (creamy bokeh is found on lenses that vignette strongly, which is pretty much no new lenses these days). Also the bokeh should be oval shaped as it moves away from the center and pretty much proves that he didn't fake them. I'm sure there was some sharpening done to the image, but I wouldn't call it over sharpened and we have no way of knowing if flikr or wherever else he posted might have added their own sharpening. If I had made a blind guess I would have said it was taken with a 135mm on a full frame, but it's entirely possible for him to have used the 85mm. It's a good shot and I don't get why you guys are trying to tear it apart.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's a result of the lens, not the camera. And I don't see why you'd want your OOF areas looking like that instead of smooth and creamy.

HPL posted:

I've seen stuff like that with crazy lenses like a 200mm f/2.

This magnificent dog disagrees. Though it might get worse when you have point light sources OOF.

XTimmy posted:

Looks like a telephoto f1.X lens with trees in the background to me, I'm trying to figure out what you think the issue is?
:radcat:

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 21, 2012

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever

squidflakes posted:

I don't see what is so suspicious about this? Looks about right for a 85 f1.8 on a FF camera?

Check out a 200 f1.8 in action
http://garion.deviantart.com/art/FFX-2-Yuna-02-149796198?q=gallery%3Agarion%2F87516&qo=82

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
...that's what 'bokeh' looks like when there are light sources in the background. it makes circles. The sun is poking through the trees, and it's rendered as circles because they're out-of-focus specular highlights. That'll happen with any lens. "Creaminess" is a stupid term but happens when the background is more uniformly lit.