Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe you should look into a righteous and Christian fighting style.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chun_Kuk_Do

Nah man, I'm not loving with disciples of Chuck Norris.

gently caress that. I hear he punched the moon once or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Chuck Norris only eats the rarest meat, so his diet consists of mostly unicorns.

Steven Seagal is just a costume Chuck Norris wears.

Having sex with Chuck Norris left a woman in a full body cast. She says it was worth it.

;)

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

AlphaDog posted:

My girlfriend was just watching some religious fundie on youtube (for laughs), and he made the claim that martial artists inhale demon's souls to gain strength.

That sounds awesome. Should I expect to learn that in BJJ or do I need to take Tai Chi or something too?

Edit: This is the video. I have no idea who this guy is but drat it's funny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WToin3NbYY&feature=player_detailpage#t=549s

You have no idea who Pat Robertson is? Really?

Nonetheless this vid is really loving depressing.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Israfel posted:

You have no idea who Pat Robertson is? Really?

I'm from Australia and I give absolutely no fucks about other people's religion, so no. I only saw that one part of that video, and I thought he was just some weirdo guest on a talkshow. After your comment, I watched the rest of it and yeah, depressing.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Novum posted:

Just sat in on a local judo class and I was really bummed out. They seemed like pretty nice guys and all but I'm used to and expect really taxing training. If you're going to train exclusively in competition judo I feel like you should be a competitive school. I'm holding out hope for the other schools I'm looking into but in the back of my head I'm worried I won't be able to find what I'm after. Am I being unreasonable?

Most people are going to be there to learn some Judo and have a workout that is more fun than running on a treadmill. Unless you are at an elite club (which probably wouldn't be interested in white belts) instructors aren't going to run people into the ground because then everyone would quit. However, if somebody is interested in competing at a higher level most clubs are able accommodate that once you get to that point.

Also keep in mind most Judo clubs only work out a few times a week. I encourage guys to work on their conditioning outside of class because we need to spend our time in class working on Judo.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Novum posted:

Just sat in on a local judo class and I was really bummed out. They seemed like pretty nice guys and all but I'm used to and expect really taxing training. If you're going to train exclusively in competition judo I feel like you should be a competitive school. I'm holding out hope for the other schools I'm looking into but in the back of my head I'm worried I won't be able to find what I'm after. Am I being unreasonable?

No. One of Judo's strength's and one of its problems is that it draws a wide range of individuals who are looking for different things. You get young guys like myself looking to constantly compete and improve, middle age folks looking to get a fun workout in and meet some people, and old guys who either used to be one of the previous groups or like feeling cool or whatever. Shop around and find a club you are enthusiastic about being a part of, not just for your own sake but for the club. No one likes a guy who isn't happy to be there.

Thoguh posted:

I encourage guys to work on their conditioning outside of class because we need to spend our time in class working on Judo.

God I wish my current club would learn this a little more. Also, Judo is in itself a good conditioning workout, we dont need to spend half an hour doing BS calisthenics.

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 18, 2012

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Unless you have 1.5 hours+ to spend, technique classes should have just enough calisthenics to warm you up... at most. Doing simple techniques that don't tear you up is a good warmup on itself IMO.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Novum posted:

Like has been said, people doing judo have very, very different motivations. It's not like in BJJ where it's mostly a homogeneous group of young guys that watch MMA.

It's something I personally like since at my club we have 1/3 to 1/2 of people taking it "seriously" wanting to compete and all and 1/2 who are there for fun/metting people/doing a sport. So you can do whatever you want and have fun doing it.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Does anyone have any solid stretching routines to really focus on flexibility for bjj? I'm not very flexible and I'd love to work out on it 2 or 3 times per week (not including before class). Anyone have any routines?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

KingColliwog posted:

Like has been said, people doing judo have very, very different motivations. It's not like in BJJ where it's mostly a homogeneous group of young guys that watch MMA.

It's something I personally like since at my club we have 1/3 to 1/2 of people taking it "seriously" wanting to compete and all and 1/2 who are there for fun/metting people/doing a sport. So you can do whatever you want and have fun doing it.

my bjj gym has a wide range of guys. Some people also will ramp up or down depending on their partner. So you see dudes who are usually laid back giving competition guys a real run because they are getting ready to compete and ask for a harder roll. We've become a fairly large school though, so I guess smaller academies may be more homogenious.

Moniker posted:

Does anyone have any solid stretching routines to really focus on flexibility for bjj? I'm not very flexible and I'd love to work out on it 2 or 3 times per week (not including before class). Anyone have any routines?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_stretching

Do something from this list and slowly work your way up to wider ROM's

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

AlphaDog posted:

I'm from Australia and I give absolutely no fucks about other people's religion, so no. I only saw that one part of that video, and I thought he was just some weirdo guest on a talkshow. After your comment, I watched the rest of it and yeah, depressing.

Oh okay, I figured you were from Australia or something, he's a well-known fundie rear end in a top hat who regularly makes the news for being a shithead here in the states. I laughed pretty hard at that vid though it's like the guys who stand around with signs that say SPORTS NUTS ARE THE DEVIL'S SLAVES

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Anyone here ever alter or tailor a BJJ/Judo gi? I know some people swear that you should never do it because it wrecks the integrity, but I feel like if a Pakistani factory can stitch it together, why couldn't a tailor with the proper machine do it as well? I would otherwise try to sell it but its a Fuji BJJ gi so its not like itll get huge resale on it. And yes I should have returned it but I thought I could shrink it more.

I have an A5 Fuji BJJ gi. I heard they shrink a lot so I bought that instead of the A4. Now I have a gi that is just too big, even after washing with hot water and drying super hot at least 5 times now. I don't think it's gonna shrink anymore. I think Im going to just get the sleeves hemmed for now and see how that holds up. Can they reattach the tape you think? Christ, this is just frustrating. My first gi I bought was a Fuji Judo gi thats now too small, and now the Fuji BJJ gi I bought was too big :-\.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
First, thanks to everyone that gave me suggestion on what to do in scissor guard. I'm playing with a lot of ideas that were given to me and the "sneaky triangle" is something I see working once I drill it a little bit more and I'm also finding there's a lot of straight armbars and kimura opportunity when someone post their arm to block the scissor sweep. This thread proves to be super helpful once again!

---

Is it standard for BJJ guys to just plain old suck at getting out of pins? Especially scarf hold (gesa)? As a judo blue/bjj white it always amazes me that I can get people much better technically and much stronger physically in a scarf hold and just play with them from there. If I heavily commit to a submission they manage to get out, but if I wanted to just stall the match there it feels like I could do so indefinitely. I have few submissions from the top (except from mount because I can just do what I do in guard) so I tend to spend a lot of time in gesa and such during BJJ matches trying to hunt for a sub. It always just surprises me that I can get away with it. In judo it's the opposite, people are horrible when they are in my guard and they will just give me the stupidest submission ever, but unless they are weaker/worst than me overall I usually can't keep them pinned all that long and if I manage to keep the pin they'll make me work for it really hard.

It's always surprising to me how a couple of differences in rules will heavily impact what people can/can't do in two sports which are so similar overall.

Xguard86 posted:

my bjj gym has a wide range of guys. Some people also will ramp up or down depending on their partner. So you see dudes who are usually laid back giving competition guys a real run because they are getting ready to compete and ask for a harder roll. We've become a fairly large school though, so I guess smaller academies may be more homogenious.

My opinions come from my very limited experience in BJJ so what I said probably doesn't apply to every school and/or might be regional. I'd be happy if the BJJ place I go to had more laid back guys haha. Around here everybody that even knows what BJJ is, are mostly young guys that watch MMA. In the US it's far more widespread I think so that might affect it too.

I also think that since BJJ is such a "young" art, you just don't have many old people doing it yet and that probably changes the atmosphere of most clubs. In 30-40 years when it'll be more well known by the general public and there's a huge amount of middle age guys/old guys doing BJJ as a way to stay in shape it'll probably change things up a little bit.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 18, 2012

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

swagger like us posted:

Anyone here ever alter or tailor a BJJ/Judo gi? I know some people swear that you should never do it because it wrecks the integrity, but I feel like if a Pakistani factory can stitch it together, why couldn't a tailor with the proper machine do it as well? I would otherwise try to sell it but its a Fuji BJJ gi so its not like itll get huge resale on it. And yes I should have returned it but I thought I could shrink it more.

I have an A5 Fuji BJJ gi. I heard they shrink a lot so I bought that instead of the A4. Now I have a gi that is just too big, even after washing with hot water and drying super hot at least 5 times now. I don't think it's gonna shrink anymore. I think Im going to just get the sleeves hemmed for now and see how that holds up. Can they reattach the tape you think? Christ, this is just frustrating. My first gi I bought was a Fuji Judo gi thats now too small, and now the Fuji BJJ gi I bought was too big :-\.

My friend had his judo gi tailored, but he had to take it to a few places before he found a tailor who could work on it due to the unusual nature of his request. Shop around a bit.

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 18, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Most of my school is composed of 30 to 50 year old dudes trying to stay in shape and be active. I'm 26 and one of the youngest people. Our instructor is also in his late forties or early 50s so maybe that affects the composition.

Pickman
Apr 27, 2008
I've signed up to my first kickboxing class, starting next week. I know it says "no DVD's" in the OP, but are they actually useful for training on your own between classes? If so, can anyone recommend any good DVD's for kickboxing?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pickman posted:

I've signed up to my first kickboxing class, starting next week. I know it says "no DVD's" in the OP, but are they actually useful for training on your own between classes? If so, can anyone recommend any good DVD's for kickboxing?

Once you've been training for a year or two then maybe worry about picking up a DVD for some supplemental stuff. For now just worry about what you learn in class.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

swagger like us posted:

I had a gi altered, it was too big so I had the sleeves shortened and the actual gi shortened by a few inches on the waist part. It's still fine and I wear it all the time. Just find a tailor that can do it.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Is there a real difference between a Judo gi and a BJJ gi? Should I be looking for one over the other if I want one for both? Also, blue ones are cool, but are they universally tourney legal? And where should I buy them? I heard good things about Padilla and Sons. It's been so drat long since I've been expected to train in pajamas.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Once you've been training for a year or two then maybe worry about picking up a DVD for some supplemental stuff. For now just worry about what you learn in class.

Yes just drill what they show you. You're wasting time doing anything

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Pickman posted:

Start running and lifting

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Deleted

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Novum posted:

Is there a real difference between a Judo gi and a BJJ gi? Should I be looking for one over the other if I want one for both? Also, blue ones are cool, but are they universally tourney legal? And where should I buy them? I heard good things about Padilla and Sons. It's been so drat long since I've been expected to train in pajamas.

Yes. Get a BJJ gi. They fit more comfortably, you won't have giant wizard's sleeves and they will be tournament legal. Blue BJJ gi's are tournament legal.

Honestly, Fuji BJJ gi's are super cheap right now (i've found them for <$80) and they are as good as any other gi you'll find. Padilla & sons are good too. There's no point for a guy just getting into BJJ to buy some top of the line competition shoyoroll.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Shoyoroll and other gis of that caliber aren't better than Padilla or fuji. I own all those brands and it's only for the exclusivity.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Novum posted:

A BJJ gi won't be legal for judo competition and a Judo gi won't be as good for BJJ as a bjj gi since they are less fitted.

For training a BJJ gi will be fine for judo unless your club has some weird policy about gis.

If you want to do Judo comps, get a white (judo) gi. You can usually wear a white gi with a special blue belt at comps but for some reason you can't wear a blue gi with a white sesh.

Ideally, you'd get one of both. But wait until you're sure you want to do both competitivly.

Also, I've never seen a BJJ gi as thick and hard to grip as many judogi are. I don't know why that is since the rules are more lax in BJJ I think. Why wouldn't you want a ridiculously thick gi for comps?

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 19, 2012

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

So tonight was my 4th or 5th sparring session and man is this poo poo a lot of fun. It's surprising to me how it allows your creativity flow so easily, and I'm a scrub who doesn't know anything. I always feel good after an hour or so of drills and some bag work, but its nothing like a couple rounds of some full contact friendly sparring.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Illumination posted:

So tonight was my 4th or 5th sparring session and man is this poo poo a lot of fun. It's surprising to me how it allows your creativity flow so easily, and I'm a scrub who doesn't know anything. I always feel good after an hour or so of drills and some bag work, but its nothing like a couple rounds of some full contact friendly sparring.

Reading your post history in this thread is great, you've gone from not knowing how to wrap your hands to actually sparring. Congrats man

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

KingColliwog posted:

A BJJ gi won't be legal for judo competition and a Judo gi won't be as good for BJJ as a bjj gi since they are less fitted.

If you want to do Judo comps, get a white (judo) gi. You can usually wear a white gi with a special blue belt at comps but for some reason you can't wear a blue gi with a white sesh.

Thanks, this was important info. Will have to dig a little deeper for Judo specific pjs I think.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

mewse posted:

Reading your post history in this thread is great, you've gone from not knowing how to wrap your hands to actually sparring. Congrats man

Hahah, we can include posts from the YLLS boxing thread where my dainty hands couldn't deal with hitting the heavy bag too! Anyway, the little improvements over the past 3 or so months I've been doing this make it all the more worthwhile and enjoyable. Thanks for the kind words!

Pickman
Apr 27, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Okay, I'll forget about it for now then.

I have another question. How many days a week do people here train? My local MMA gym runs classes twice a week, but if I can get away with just showing up to one class a week that would save me a lot of time. I'm already fitting lifting two days a week and running one day into my weekly schedule.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
I do something for 2-4 hours every day. I workout mixed with kickboxing for 2 hours every other day, and go to jiu-jitsu as often as I can (2-4 nights per week for 1.5-2.5 hours). If I'm feeling up to it and on an off-workout day than I'll go for a 10k run (once or twice a week).

I'm not training for any specific competition at the moment, just athletic performance and future jiu-jitsu competitions.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Pickman posted:

I have another question. How many days a week do people here train? My local MMA gym runs classes twice a week, but if I can get away with just showing up to one class a week that would save me a lot of time. I'm already fitting lifting two days a week and running one day into my weekly schedule.

I highly recommend you go twice a week if you can. I went to judo once a week for the first year or so and my progress was ridiculously slow.

Just ditch the running day, your other class will probably give you enough cardio (and probably better cardio for boxing).

I personally go to 3 classes of judo a week (two of them being back to back so it's only 2 nights of my time).
I also go to anywhere from 0 to 3 1.5 hour BJJ "open mat" rolling sessions depending on my schedule (usually 1 per week but I can't always make it because of work and occasionally I can make it to all 3).
This year I hope to add ~1 hour of practice time with a girl that needs to practice Nage No Kata to get her black belt.
So i go to anywhere from 3 to 7 practices a week which amounts to anywhere from 5.5 to 10+ hours, but on average I'd say I do about 7 hours.

That sounds like a lot and I would never have thought I'd do that much when I started/ thought people who training 4-5 times a week were insane, but it's really not that bad. I still manage to have a girlfriend, go out with friends regularly, have 2 jobs and weightlift/do some cardio.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 19, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swagger like us posted:

Yes. Get a BJJ gi. They fit more comfortably, you won't have giant wizard's sleeves and they will be tournament legal. Blue BJJ gi's are tournament legal.

This is a bad post.

A BJJ Gi will not be tournament legal for Judo. A Judo club may or may not care for practice (My club doesn't, but it is kind of cheating so it is reasonable for a club to not want guys wearing BJJ gis to practice) but the cut of the sleeves certainly wouldn't be legal for competition. Not even close.

As far as a Blue gi for Judo... if you only have one it should be white. There are tournaments that require both a white and blue gi (ussually only big tournaments do that, at smaller tournaments you just wear a blue sash) but there are zero circumstances where you need a blue gi but not a white one. At smaller tournaments if you show up with only a blue gi they'd have to totally rearrange the brackets for you so you were always on the "blue" side and most tournament directors aren't going to do that.

If you are doing both BJJ and Judo and want to only have one gi it should be a white Judo Gi. If you get a second Gi go hog wild with whatever you feel like.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 19, 2012

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Pickman posted:

I work shifts so I play it by what im working that week, some weeks i get about 6 hours martial arts training and a couple of hours gym time but other weeks I may only get 1-2 hours martial arts but more time in the gym It's awkward and I've only been working with these kind of shifts for a few month's so I'm still working out what works best for me.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Pickman posted:

Before I moved to a new city I was training probably 5 to 6 days a week like it was my job. It's easier not to get burnt out when you're bouncing around between two or three different disciplines. But if you don't care about getting into a competitive arena (i.e. you have other actually important poo poo to do) then it's really not a big deal to train once or twice a week as a happy hobbyist. You'll still learn and have lots of fun.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Yeah I would really recommend twice a week at minimum if possible.

Also remember that poo poo comes up, and you wind up making it to the gym less often than you think. On a bad month, planning around two sessions a week might mean you actually only get in once a week. YMMV.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
In the same vein I have been toying with the idea of getting back into BJJ after 8 years now that I am no longer a fat gently caress.

Here is the rub though, i travel for work allot, around 200+ nights in hotels a year. There is a Carlson school near my house that I could get to when I am in town. But how viable is it to gym hop during the week? I have a set rotation of cities i hit but would end up looking like hitting a school every few weeks a couple times.

Worth it? Our should i put it on hold until life calms down a bit?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Sardonic Adonis posted:

In the same vein I have been toying with the idea of getting back into BJJ after 8 years now that I am no longer a fat gently caress.

Here is the rub though, i travel for work allot, around 200+ nights in hotels a year. There is a Carlson school near my house that I could get to when I am in town. But how viable is it to gym hop during the week? I have a set rotation of cities i hit but would end up looking like hitting a school every few weeks a couple times.

Worth it? Our should i put it on hold until life calms down a bit?

I'd at least go see the places you could go and see if they could arrange something for you.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Thoguh posted:

This is a bad post.

A BJJ Gi will not be tournament legal for Judo. A Judo club may or may not care for practice (My club doesn't, but it is kind of cheating so it is reasonable for a club to not want guys wearing BJJ gis to practice) but the cut of the sleeves certainly wouldn't be legal for competition. Not even close.

As far as a Blue gi for Judo... if you only have one it should be white. There are tournaments that require both a white and blue gi (ussually only big tournaments do that, at smaller tournaments you just wear a white sash) but there are zero circumstances where you need a blue gi but not a white one. At smaller tournaments if you show up with only a blue gi they'd have to totally rearrange the brackets for you so you were always on the "blue" side and most tournament directors aren't going to do that.

If you are doing both BJJ and Judo and want to only have one gi it should be a white Judo Gi. If you get a second Gi go hog wild with whatever you feel like.

You didnt read what I said, I said that a blue BJJ gi is legal for BJJ. I understood it as him asking if blue is an alright gi colour for BJJ, it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

KingColliwog posted:

Is it standard for BJJ guys to just plain old suck at getting out of pins? Especially scarf hold (gesa)? As a judo blue/bjj white it always amazes me that I can get people much better technically and much stronger physically in a scarf hold and just play with them from there. If I heavily commit to a submission they manage to get out, but if I wanted to just stall the match there it feels like I could do so indefinitely. I have few submissions from the top (except from mount because I can just do what I do in guard) so I tend to spend a lot of time in gesa and such during BJJ matches trying to hunt for a sub. It always just surprises me that I can get away with it. In judo it's the opposite, people are horrible when they are in my guard and they will just give me the stupidest submission ever, but unless they are weaker/worst than me overall I usually can't keep them pinned all that long and if I manage to keep the pin they'll make me work for it really hard.

I think at low levels, people who haven't been in a scarf hold before think it's some sort of special position which should be treated differently from regular side control so they stop and think about it too much. I've had judo dudes put me into it and I've always escaped it with the same bridge and hip escape that starts any other side control escape.

I just checked my copy of Jiu-Jitsu University and the escapes from side control and kesa are almost identical, but the traditional side control escape has more options demonstrated beyond just returning to guard. If anything I prefer dealing with kesa because the threat of a transition to mount is much lower and the submission options require much bigger screw ups on my part.

• Locked thread