Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

I like the idea of a genuine sandboxing capability in browsers. It would make certain good things a lot easier.

gently caress everything about this though: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=693515

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

syntaxrigger posted:

congratulations you have discovered the uselessness of university
i guess if you're some idiot who takes the same kind of classes they offer at ITT

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

vapid cutlery posted:

drat, forget all the rendering, script interpretation, and event handling, I won't dare call a function that queues a call on the main thread because it will slow everything down

yeah that's fair

doesn't change that being unable to get settings on any thread other than the main one is bullshit

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

yaoi prophet posted:

'oh poo poo i made a typo' *waits 30 seconds for the build to finish*
alternately, building on every save so you can catch compile errors quicker

i was being sarcastic you oaf

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
jeff fatwood

:D

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Wheany posted:

i'm taking an introduction to image manipulation course in the university, and now, after 3 two-hour lectures of the teacher showing different filters in some old version (I think 8.0 :stare: loving 2003) of photoshop, were are now going to learn about image manipulation in java.

so he starts by showing how images are loaded in java 1.0 and 1.1 applets (lol) :catstare:

what department is offering this course for what purpose and what is it's intdented audience? image processing is some heavy stuff and uses a lot of fourier transforms and poo poo, maybe you should take a course that isn't for idiots

the raw data you get from a CT machine is essentially in radon transformed format, same with MRIs and fourier transformed

this is a cool book

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

image processing is hella rad and i get happy whenever i have to do it because HOORAY linear algebra

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
man i need to be coding something because if i dont code things i will never learn to code things better

i know rotor said i should "learn basic theory" and the other recommendation is "learn a c# or java" but i only learn by doing and i need to do something :ohdear:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the basic theory is java or c#

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

im or irc bot has my vote

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

irc bots are boring and done

i made basically a video game version of an irc bot: https://github.com/thomasboyt/shootmania-server-script

and that was fun but no one plays the game so i canceled my server :smith:

i need a problem to solve

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

rotor posted:

HOORAY linear algebra

if you'd told me 10 years ago that i would seriously think this every few weeks, i'd have thought you were out of your goddamn mind

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
back when irc was a thing i made a bot that controlled a tv tuner i had setup w/ a streaming server. people could change channels or w/e. it was cool

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I made a buttbot these days in python. It's for another language (bundabot), just want to say gently caress UNICODE.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Symbolic Butt posted:

I made a buttbot these days in python. It's for another language (bundabot), just want to say gently caress UNICODE.

did you use a deprecated obsolete version of python? i've had problems in unicode when using ancient python

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

next time just use java so your problems are limited to your own code instead of the entire platform.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i wish i had the drive to just write code for no reason like some people

i have to really want to make something, i guess. like i learned js when i wanted to make a chrome app and i learned python when i wanted to make a quick web site with django

i got all into emberjs when i wanted to make a sweet modal note-taking app that was like vim crossed with outlining but i never got emberjs to work right and it sapped all of my energy :smith:

maybe i should go back and try to make it with backbone or somethin

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i took an image processing course (and really half assed it) so i have the curse of knowing what's possible without the capability to do it

so i've got a half-baked android AR app with OpenCV that'll just never get finished

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

INTERGALACTIC CAN CHAMPION

isn't emacs single-threaded as well?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

abraham linksys posted:

i have to really want to make something, i guess. like i learned js when i wanted to make a chrome app and i learned python when i wanted to make a quick web site with django

i got all into emberjs when i wanted to make a sweet modal note-taking app that was like vim crossed with outlining but i never got emberjs to work right and it sapped all of my energy :smith:

don't use javascript for poo poo like that

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Lysidas posted:

did you use a deprecated obsolete version of python? i've had problems in unicode when using ancient python

using 2.5.2, is that ancient enough?

I wish I could update python here because I've been wanting to mess around with that collections module for some time now. drat tef

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

abraham linksys posted:

irc bots are boring and done

i made basically a video game version of an irc bot: https://github.com/thomasboyt/shootmania-server-script

and that was fun but no one plays the game so i canceled my server :smith:

i need a problem to solve

Make a Rogue like game. I'm going to make a Sci-Fi one for Android with a touch based UI instead of the lovely keyboard that all of them have. Right now I'm having fun with the random room generators. I stole the name from some other post Dwarf Station

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

EVGA Longoria posted:

don't use javascript

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Symbolic Butt posted:

using 2.5.2, is that ancient enough?

sure is

don't use anything older than 3.3

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if you cant get excited about an irc/im bot then idk what to tell you

i made a listbot that keeps lists for me. when im at the grocery store and i wonder what we need at home i just ask listbot and he tells me.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

EVGA Longoria posted:

don't use javascript for poo poo like that

well it was a web app, idk

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rotor posted:

i made a listbot that keeps lists for me. when im at the grocery store and i wonder what we need at home i just ask listbot and he tells me.

give me ur listbot

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

rotor posted:

i was being sarcastic you oaf

i've had people seriously say that locking the UI thread while a build runs isn't a bad thing because you shouldn't change code mid-build

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Symbolic Butt posted:

just want to say gently caress UNICODE.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

rotor posted:

if you cant get excited about an irc/im bot then idk what to tell you

is this running in #cobol yet, and also should i add the feature to cheesebot

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

abraham linksys posted:

well it was a web app, idk

MVC or it's a piece of poo poo

if you're programming anything but ajax calls and jquery animations in javascript, get hosed.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Otto Skorzeny posted:

is this running in #cobol yet, and also should i add the feature to cheesebot

no, it's an AIM bot, not an irc bot

doesn't cheesebot already keep lists? it's basically just .remember

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

give me ur listbot

the code is embarassing :blush:

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Hard NOP Life posted:

Make a Rogue like game. I'm going to make a Sci-Fi one for Android with a touch based UI instead of the lovely keyboard that all of them have. Right now I'm having fun with the random room generators. I stole the name from some other post Dwarf Station

i too am vaguely working on a sci-fi roguelike except i'm doing it in haskell because i hate myself

i'm going to use the BoI concept of unlocking things because i think that makes the constant stream of deaths due to bullshit/lack of player skill more tolerable

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

abraham linksys posted:

no. stop it. stop it stop it stop it. :sotw: stop loving doing this you loving idiot

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rotor posted:

the code is embarassing :blush:

i'm an EE who reads lots of code written by EE's daily

can't imagine the sheer arrogance behind this one here

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Milkie Galore posted:

no. stop it. stop it stop it stop it. :sotw: stop loving doing this you loving idiot

constructive

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

it's in java :blush:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

it may have a dependancy on tomcat i cant really remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

I have free will to do what I want but I choose to oscillate.
oh god please don't make me code all of this with c++ templates