Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Bombadilillo posted:

Thats a lot of variables there. I think we can all agree 1080p can have a functional purpose over 720p. 4k is pointless with current technology.

That was my original point. That it takes non-average situations to make 1080p noticeable (not that it never was), so 4k is going to take some absurd situations to be noticeable.

You would have to be sitting less than 5 feet away from that 65" TV to see even the slightest bit of difference between a 1080p TV and a 4k one. And if youre sitting 5 feet away from a 6 foot screen, I don't know what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

That you are a kid, they still sit like 2 feet away from the huge TV. Weirdos.

toxicsunset posted:

That was my original point. That it takes non-average situations to make 1080p noticeable (not that it never was), so 4k is going to take some absurd situations to be noticeable.

I think the situation is just more average then you think. You can get a 65" dlp for 700-800$ If you have a room large enough its not a crazy thing.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

toxicsunset posted:

If you're laying in bed with the TV at the absolute foot of the bed that's 8 feet right there.

I've never been to a house where a couch or chair was less than 8 feet from the TV, let alone your actual eyeballs. The "recommended distance" is specifically designed to be within the "noticable" range that's why it's the recommended distance. The standard distance, as in, the average distance a TV is from a person's eyeballs, is between 9 and 10 feet. It's called the Lechner distance, based on the fella that did the study.

Yeah, they recommend you put the TV at a distance where you can see it clearly, as it states plainly in the article I linked. When you're watching most of your TV lying in bed, I don't think your biggest concern is whether or not you're getting the most out of your viewing experience, so I don't think that's entirely relevant.

I'm a bit shocked you've never been in a small apartment, or in a place without oodles of space and giant TVs. I don't think I've ever seen anyone who plays video games put a TV smaller than 40" anywhere near 10 feet back. The "can't notice 1080p at that range" dovetales quite nicely with "guys with 20/20 vision can't read video game text" range as well. Are you telling me that you've never been to a house where a TV was set up like this?

This is precisely 6'4" away from where my head would be on the couch. I have 20/20 vision, and any further back and text-heavy games would be entirely unplayable with a 42" tv.

e: also incredibly important: do you have a stratification of the Lechner distance by screen size? That's a huge factor in how far people place their sofas/tvs.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 19, 2012

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Bombadilillo posted:

That you are a kid, they still sit like 2 feet away from the huge TV. Weirdos.

I think the situation is just more average then you think. You can get a 65" dlp for 700-800$ If you have a room large enough its not a crazy thing.

I think my definition of "average" is the result of statistical surveys and math. Median TV size is something like 46".

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

computer parts posted:

There's a possibility that they'll support a "Retina" like mode where everything is just pixel doubled but I think this is about as high resolution wise as we get before literal wall-TVs.

Ugh, even as a techie/gamer/cinephile I kinda hope we never get there. It just reminds me of Fahrenheit 451 and those horrible interactive sitcoms *shudder*

Anyway, here's some new story info for ZombiU:
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comments/zombiu-interview-reveals-multiplayer-miiverse-and-many-more-details2

quote:

It is 2012, the year of the apocalypse for the Mayans and many other cultures both old and new…London is falling in the wake of a terrifying Blight, an outbreak of a new form of virus of plague-like proportions. This the second time a great plague has decimated the city; the first Great Plague of London happened centuries ago, in 1665, and only the Great Fire of London was able to wipe out the infection in the end.

Both of these apocalyptic events and the fire that follows has been foreseen by England’s 16th century Nostradamus—Dr. John Dee. Dee was quite literally the Royal Magus or ‘Wizard’ to Queen Elizabeth the First. He is one of England’s most reputed historical figures, at once revered and reviled in his lifetime as a brilliant mathematician, philosopher, spy and “sorcerer”. It is Dee’s “Black Prophecy” (Dee is Welsh and means ‘black’), which heralds this Last Great Blight in the fall of 2012 and the Second Great Fire of London that must follow…

The origin of this plague is in dispute—but it is Dr. Dee’s research (on plague victims he had treated across Europe) and his quite literal conversations with God’s angels, which may allow the player to discover the fabled Panacea and save humanity.

That actually sounds pretty awesome. Even with zombies + 2012, it's far less generic than I was expecting and gives off a definite Hellboy/Indiana Jones vibe. I like. Other info:

*No online multiplayer. Surprise!
*Local Multiplayer:
-FPS vs RTS
-Supports Pro Controller and Wii Remote
-GamePad use is much more casual in multiplayer
*Miiverse features:
-Get real time alerts when a friend is infected, loot their zombie
-Your zombie will appear in friends' games
-Track stats; how many players your zombie has killed/infected; online leaderboards
-Leave graffiti messages for other players with signs and symbols
-Find messages from other players with your scanner

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
The difference between 720 and 1080 for games is generally more noticeable than movies. Movies have smooth lines and motion blur out the rear end, while most games still have noticeable aliasing and little if any motion blurring, which makes the difference more obvious even from far away. I imagine the same will hold true for 4K, although to a much less noticeable extent.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

toxicsunset posted:

I think my definition of "average" is the result of statistical surveys and math. Median TV size is something like 46".

I'm going to be honest, I'm completely stumped. I've been trying for something like half an hour to find an original source for the Lechner studies, and it all links back to one poorly written HD Guru blog post which only mentions the median distance, not the average and doesn't go into any further detail (it's also the sole source for the Wikipedia article, sadly).

Can you give me a link or something that actually discusses the results of his study, because I've completely failed to find a single reliable scrap.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Rake Arms posted:

*No online multiplayer. Surprise!

Now I have to pick another game as my first!

Seriously WHAT THE gently caress.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Oh my god shut up about 4k resolutions, this is not the place to debate the pros and cons of it.

Final verdict: WiiU won't even support it, so there's no need to bring it up here.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

What are you gonna pick, a game WITH online multiplayer? Good luck.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

What are you gonna pick, a game WITH online multiplayer? Good luck.

I'll get black ops 2 if I have to. Main reason I'm getting the U is to troll people together with a good friend of mine.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

What we're you expecting? This isn't new. The multiplayer was asymmetrical and local from the start. I guess online coop would be sweet, but that was never even talked about was it? Were you expecting a dm mode?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bombadilillo posted:

What we're you expecting? This isn't new. The multiplayer was asymmetrical and local from the start. I guess online coop would be sweet, but that was never even talked about was it? Were you expecting a dm mode?

Truly a betrayal of the fans on par with Metroid Prime 1 and Dead Space 2. Curses.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

I was expecting co-op. I mean it's a zombie survival game. What else would there be?

And the assymetrical RTS mode could be taken online.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

I was expecting co-op. I mean it's a zombie survival game. What else would there be?

And the assymetrical RTS mode could be taken online.

I see. The focus is on single player and tension building, instead of hordes of zombies. It doesnt seem as condusive to coop as say, Dead Island where its just mowing down hordes with different shapped sticks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'll get black ops 2 if I have to. Main reason I'm getting the U is to troll people together with a good friend of mine.

If your main reason for getting something is to troll people you might want to ask yourself some tough questions about how you choose to spend your time.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

If your main reason for getting something is to troll people you might want to ask yourself some tough questions about how you choose to spend your time.

My main reason to get a machine that plays games is to play games with my best friend. Oh no how did my life end up like this?! How do I get out of this rut?

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I'm going to be honest, I'm completely stumped. I've been trying for something like half an hour to find an original source for the Lechner studies, and it all links back to one poorly written HD Guru blog post which only mentions the median distance, not the average and doesn't go into any further detail (it's also the sole source for the Wikipedia article, sadly).

Can you give me a link or something that actually discusses the results of his study, because I've completely failed to find a single reliable scrap.

For what it's worth, median is a far more accurate and appropriate measure of what most people think 'average' is. Consider income. One billionaire raises the *average* income an astronomical amount, whereas the median income is a far more reflective measure of what the so called 'average' man makes. That's why for studies like these, the median is often reported - the 'average' is a silly measure. Think of it this way. The average person has less than 2 legs. The median number of legs on a person, however, is 2. Just a bit of statistics insight for you. Guess the conversation's over though. I thought this was interesting when I learned it, thought maybe someone else might.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bobnumerotres posted:

My main reason to get a machine that plays games is to play games with my best friend. Oh no how did my life end up like this?! How do I get out of this rut?

You're mysterious.

"I can't wait to buy a high in demand device to troll people"

Then go figure, when someone calls you out on the fact that's a stupid thing to say "What no I just wanna play with friends :(!"

Also just finished paying everything off, biting the bullet on Rayman just because I want to believe it'll be fantastic, and Mario because hey it's Mario. Only thing left to grab up is a wii remote recharge station.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Not many Roguelikes have online multiplayer, this at least has online grave/zombie looting. Besides it would really ruin the atmosphere to have a buddy with you. Just look at RE5 versus RE4, a lot of tense situations can resolve themself or never come up because your buddy is watching your back. There goes the whole "gotta enter this keycode quick!" danger, or the fear you'll be jumped while sifting through bags.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You're mysterious.

Then go figure, when someone calls you out on the fact that's a stupid thing to say "What no I just wanna play with friends :(!"

Also just finished paying everything off, biting the bullet on Rayman just because I want to believe it'll be fantastic, and Mario because hey it's Mario. Only thing left to grab up is a wii remote recharge station.

Can you get procontrollers yet?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That's still twisting my words.

quote:

Not many Roguelikes have online multiplayer, this at least has online grave/zombie looting. Besides it would really ruin the atmosphere to have a buddy with you. Just look at RE5 versus RE4, a lot of tense situations can resolve themself or never come up because your buddy is watching your back. There goes the whole "gotta enter this keycode quick!" danger, or the fear you'll be jumped while sifting through bags.
I guess so. I'll have to wait on reviews then.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Chronojam posted:

Yeah, it just seems like it was envisioned as a single-player experience from the start. And that's fine. Single player games are still a thing. Besides, the Miiverse stuff sounds more fun. My zombie can go gently caress with other goons while I'm playing on my own? Sold.

Black Ops II will probably be the online game to get at launch. Non-splitscreen local vs online. Enough said.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

GameStop is taking pre-orders.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^^^Thanks!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Twisting your words eh?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bombadilillo posted:

Nah; or at least I have no idea if you can yet or not.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Bobnumerotres posted:

If your main reason for getting a Wii U in any way involves online multiplayer it seems like you should hold off until Nintendo actually discusses how multiplayer works on their console. I'd really love for them to have something comparable to MS/Sony but they've been pretty quiet on it thus far right?

Amcoti fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 19, 2012

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What's with all the clamoring for 4K resolution consoles when we're barely getting 1080p games as it is? I'd much rather see more polygon counts and more characters on screen, faster load times, and graphics that don't look like they were for the PS2. Who cares if it's outputting at 4K if the models look like rear end?

Bombadilillo posted:

So 1080 on 65" at 12 feet is noticable. I can tell 720p vs 1080p. But I have great vision. My wife has horrible eyes and cant tell the difference between sd and hd at all.

I hate it when I go home an see my dad who blows up an stretches the standard definition feed of HBO on his 60 inch 1080p set and says "Look at how great his picture looks in HD!". :doh:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Why would you do this? I mean, what you do with your money is your own business, but why not keep your money until it releases and pay it off then?

Not sure why you need to let GS (or whomever) make money off of you sooner than they have to.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

zenintrude posted:

Why would you do this? I mean, what you do with your money is your own business, but why not keep your money until it releases and pay it off then?

Not sure why you need to let GS (or whomever) make money off of you sooner than they have to.

What does this matter? Is he going to invest 400$ for 2 months? Its also not sticking it to Gamestop? Theres no difference besides when its convenient for you to pay.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

zenintrude posted:

What a odd thing to get hung up on.

1: I have a lot of poo poo to cover with bills and the like. I'm quite poor so getting it finished when I can is appealing to me.

2: I have a preorder at a local gamestop just down the road, why wouldn't I pay it off? They're getting my money either way so why does it matter? My gamestop is pretty cool with me so it's not like it pains me to walk in and chat with the dude behind the counter and be done with it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

1: I have a lot of poo poo to cover with bills and the like. I'm quite poor so getting it finished when I can is appealing to me.

2: I have a preorder at a local gamestop just down the road, why wouldn't I pay it off? They're getting my money either way so why does it matter? My gamestop is pretty cool with me so it's not like it pains me to walk in and chat with the dude behind the counter and be done with it.

Mainly that if you have limited income it's better to have that 300 on hand in case a pipe bursts or your transmission gives out or you have to go to hospital and other emergencies. If it doesn't happen you buy the U as normal. If it does happen you gotta wait. I don't know what Gamestop's cancellation policy is though, so maybe it's liquid anyway.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Astro7x posted:

What's with all the clamoring for 4K resolution consoles when we're barely getting 1080p games as it is?
We're not even getting that either on consoles. Aren't Xbox 360 games upscaled from 540p?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

greatn posted:

Mainly that if you have limited income it's better to have that 300 on hand in case a pipe bursts or your transmission gives out or you have to go to hospital and other emergencies. If it doesn't happen you buy the U as normal. If it does happen you gotta wait. I don't know what Gamestop's cancellation policy is though, so maybe it's liquid anyway.

Eh; it's pretty normal to do around here. That and I've been planning to do this for the last few months really. Saving up just to get it all taken care of when it's ready and all that; and if I need to get any of it back I just go up and cancel; put 50 back down on my bundle and suddenly I'm back to step 1.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

greatn posted:

GameStop lets you get a full refund whenever you want. The individual employee may not want to do it because they don't want to hurt their numbers but that's the policy. Contrary to popular belief, GameStop can't actually spend or otherwise use or list pre-order money for anything. So they'd much rather someone cancel a reservation than just have a like a $50 deposit sit there forever.

However, once something is taken out of the reservation list in their registers (like the WiiU has been in this instance), you won't be able to reserve it again if you take the money out. It's either all or nothing.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 19, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Eh; it's pretty normal to do around here. That and I've been planning to do this for the last few months really. Saving up just to get it all taken care of when it's ready and all that; and if I need to get any of it back I just go up and cancel; put 50 back down on my bundle and suddenly I'm back to step 1.

Yeah I'm doing the same thing but split up over a few weeks.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Quest For Glory II posted:

We're not even getting that either on consoles. Aren't Xbox 360 games upscaled from 540p?
Some are that low (COD series are 1024x600, Alan Wake was 960x540), a lot are just below 720p, and most are 720p (many without AA, albeit the small performance impact of FXAA is making it popular). The PS3 actually has more sub-720p games than 360 iirc.

People actually expecting 4k games from the next gen simply don't have a clue or are trolling. The TV's are ridiculously expensive and will continue to be so for many years, there's very little market need for them (where is the content?), the resolution can barely be appreciated are the regular viewing distances, and even with all that taken care of; 1000+ watt tri-SLI PC configs could barely handle it.

Chances are there will be many sub-1080p games on the next gen consoles. 4k is just laughable.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This unrealistic expectation gets perpetuated by the resolution listings on the back of the boxes. On the back of the 360/PS3 box it will list 1080p if the game upscales to it regardless of what it actually runs at. PS3 games became honest with this at some point (I think from 2010 on?), but many 360 customers think that their games run at 1080p natively. This isn't their fault, it's due to deceptive marketing, but I can understand why gamers are so clueless about this when the packaging of the products themselves is full of it.

Oddly there are a lot of PS3 games that are native 1080p, mostly really random ones like NBA 07, Fifa Street, Conflict: Denied Ops, a large number of PSN games and so on. I remember the disappointment when it was announced that God of War III dropped down to 720+30FPS despite them saying it would be native 1080 and locked at 60FPS for the longest time, but just the fact that it was native 720 made it better looking than most other games out at the time and many that come out today. There's only a few on 360 but people assume it's the same thing anyway because the boxes all say 1080P on it because it was such a selling point when these systems were first coming out.

Given that we're a long way away from everyone having wall screens I do hope the next wave of packing for these systems isn't outright dishonest, since having some kind of LCD/plasma screen is so common now it probably won't be a major part of the marketing anyway.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 19, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm hardly "hung up" on it, but I was curious enough to ask... as greatn pointed out, it's (potentially) the difference between having money on hand and not having money on hand for whatever may come up, which for someone who's "quite poor" I would think would be somewhat important.

It's not a big deal to me either way, but I figured I'd ask about the rationale since it didn't even cross my mind to pay more than the minimum... and I figure others would share this sentiment considering many were commenting about the fact that Wal-Mart (and maybe Best Buy as well?) charged their card the full amount from the outset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

This unrealistic expectation gets perpetuated by the resolution listings on the back of the boxes. On the back of the 360/PS3 box it will list 1080p if the game upscales to it regardless of what it actually runs at. PS3 games became honest with this at some point (I think from 2010 on?), but many 360 customers think that their games run at 1080p natively. This isn't their fault, it's due to deceptive marketing, but I can understand why gamers are so clueless about this when the packaging of the products themselves is full of it.

It's also due to the fact that many people (including me) have trouble telling the difference. I have 20/20 vision and a 32' 1080p TV, I don't know what's running at ~true~ 720/1080p and what's just being stretched, it's not like there's an immediate tell.

60 FPS is a huge boost in visuals for me though, and it's upsetting when games don't run smoothly. I won't be getting it but recent HD trailers for NSMB:U look silky drat smooth.

• Locked thread