Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hoekie posted:

I would really like to do the summer student internship program but my current GPA is below 2.5. I had a really really bad last semester due to some unfortunate life events. But this is my current GPA at law school. Does anybody know if the 2.5 requirement would apply to my undergraduate transcripts as opposed to my law transcripts? (I hope so).

Thanks!

To be honest, as best as I can tell no one checks in the central internship office before shipping applications out to post for selection. I was the intern coordinator in my office for four semesters, and I screened for preparation for the job and clear writing over GPAs in most cases - in other words, if you can justify why your GPA sucked in clear, succinct writing, I probably wouldn't hold it against you. However, YMMV depending on the office and the positions for which you apply. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderlust
Mar 26, 2001

Here there is no why.
Hello everyone. So, I recently discovered Marie Colvin. Some of you may know her name; she worked for The Sunday Times, until an unfortunate incident that happened when she went to grab her shoes before fleeing some incoming rocket fire.

Anyway, reading about her has led me to my calling (I hope) and I'm looking at the Foreign Service as sort of a "middle step, that may end up being a final step". I don't know if I quite have the journalism chops that Marie had, but I figure I'll have some time to dwell on that question if and when the State Department ships me to some part of the Middle East.

I have no problem sleeping on a hammock in the middle of a Syrian field if that's what is needed. I have no problem with Big People who need Big Things, Right Now: I used to work for Beverly Hills types, at a company I will not name here (Hint: it starts with N, and ends with etflix.) Looking at the "13 Dimensions", I see the first one is composure; I have certainly taken some fire from some Hollywood executives and kept a level head about it, which I think I can probably argue is comparable to taking some fire from Mr. or Mrs. Important From Far Away. Being a desktop technician/project manager/anything-and-everything-IT person, I've certainly had to improvise, hotwire, bullshit, and do other kinds of dances to get past various bureaucratic and technological roadblocks. I'm at least a "buff" about diplomatic goings on. I know who Dan Senor is, I know where he went to school and I know what he's currently doing, for example. I once supported three Pakistani developers and worked for a man who had a prayer mat in his office, so I have no problem mingling with other cultures either.

I am as good at writing as what you think of this post, I guess. My BA is in English.

I am pounding away at my Arabic, and I've been trying to listen to the BBC in Arabic as much as I can, and I am also trying to immerse myself in the Quran, the culture, etc. I fully expect to sign up for this and, if I make it, be shipped to some corner of Afghanistan that lacks running water, electricity, and Diet Coke. I am one of those people who thinks that sounds exciting and wonderful.

And, probably like pretty much every goon who is hanging around this thread, I am completely loving sick of fixing computers and working a square desk job. I am currently in one of the safest spots in the American economy: a union position (it's AFSCME, if that counts for anything with the State Department) in health care. Some would say "it doesn't get any better than that", but it's actually draining my soul, and it is not who I am. I just sit at my desk reading the news while wishing I was actually there where it was going on. The FS is starting to look like a way I can do that in a reversible way, while exploring whether or not I can actually be a foreign correspondent. I am hoping that if I take this step into the Foreign Service, I won't end up with all my eggs in one basket, or meet the same fate that met Marie.

Basically, I'm asking the experts:

1) Do I sound like somebody that would get hired - do I fit the profile?
2) What's the latest status with all this business, considering what happened to Vilerat and Christopher Stevens. Are they going to be scaling back/changing/moving people around in the FS, and is this not a good time to bug them? (I'm certain somebody is going to say "Scroll up and read, rear end in a top hat" in response to that, but that's the SA I've known and loved for 12 years now, so bring it.)
3) Is it totally stupid to expect that the FS can be my gateway into something else? I guess I could rephrase that as: is this a job for people who are figuring their poo poo out, or should I stay away from it unless I have my poo poo figured out?

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

the_chavi posted:

Thanks! Drop me a line at hannahdraper@gmail.com, would you? I've never served in a place with a regular USAID component - it's only a temp office out in Tripoli (and god knows what it looks like now).

I was actually hoping that doing Tripoli would keep me off the Baghdad list for a while - but we'll see! Know a guy named Brent in the PD shop out there? He and I have a ton of mutual friends.

FYI, FSI is pretty much always hiring if you're (stuck) in the area. If you need some legs, I'll ask to open some doors. Even better if your husband has IT experience.

Wonderlust posted:

Basically, I'm asking the experts:

1) Do I sound like somebody that would get hired - do I fit the profile?
2) Are they going to be scaling back/changing/moving people around in the FS, and is this not a good time to bug them?
3) Is it totally stupid to expect that the FS can be my gateway into something else? I guess I could rephrase that as: is this a job for people who are figuring their poo poo out, or should I stay away from it unless I have my poo poo figured out?

An issue I see here is your approach; there's nothing wrong with it, but it appears you're looking at it from the typical business/government perspective.. the FS doesn't really work like that. Asking someone if they're likely to get hired is akin to asking them if the stars will align; nobody knows what goes on in BEX's minds. Online, there's no way to tell what you're like in person, which is what BEX will judge you on. They offer you 13 Dimensions, but it's by no mean a profile they hire from. Literally, State hires all walks of life.

2) I don't think they'll be moving people around - again, it doesn't really work like that. Not that FSO are crazy or anything, but a good number of people volunteered to be in Benghazi. We do it because we want to. So now we just look for other spots opening elsewhere in the world, or come back to D.C. and work for a short time until the next bid cycle. Hiring is done by budget wizards up in HR; I can't give you an honest answer what that's going to be like. But they'll have a position for you if they hire you.

3) It can be. Most people in the FS stay in the FS (has one of the highest retention rates, I believe?) but there is nothing stopping you from leaving. I'll add a personal note, if you're looking for a vacation, maybe the job isn't exactly what you're looking for. If you're thinking you'll get afghanistan or libya as a first assignment, you're incorrect. You won't get a shot at those until 2, or perhaps 4, years in.) Living in say, Pakistan, will be quite - significantly - different from here in the U.S. You'll also have to be worldwide available, which means quite literally, go to any location in the world. You can try to stay in NEA (middle east), but those positions might not always be available.

Basically, I'm saying: what would you do if you were stuck in Chad with your current bosses?

But there's no harm in you applying. I say go for it; see how far you get. But before you apply, you need to decide what cone or specialty you want to go into. I believe we're fully represented here on SA, so let us know what cone/specialty sounds appealing to you.

I'll be blunt here, it's not a quick process at all. For myself it was going on 4 years split between Political and Information Management. It'll take a year (quickest I've heard), at the very least, even with very impressive credentials and a great register score. For most people, it's more of a Plan B. Chances are, by the time you make it in (inshallah), you'll have your poo poo figured out. If you don't make it in, at least you will learn something valuable or new about yourself. And if you don't make it in the first time, try again.

That said, I've never met a person so far here that wasn't exactly happy to be in the FS. Everyone has complaints about a post or two, but for the long run, they're all happy.

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 19, 2012

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Skandiaavity posted:

what would you do if you were stuck in Chad

Get amoebic dysentery and lose 20 lbs.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Doesn't sound too bad. Certainly better than Cholera / 45 lbs.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I'd just be upset about losing muscle mass. It's sad but access to workout facilities / ability to run is probably going to be one of my top factors for bidding once I hit A-100.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
I do not think you'll find those lacking in Chad. Especially places to run.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Skandiaavity posted:

I do not think you'll find those lacking in Chad. Especially places to run.

No lack of places to run, just a lack of safe places to run. Hope you like being ransomed.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah that's more what I was getting at.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
But, isn't that a motivation to run faster/harder than you've even ran before?

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Skandiaavity posted:

But, isn't that a motivation to run faster/harder than you've even ran before?

Things not often listed in KSAs: ability to outrun numerous gangs of starving Chadians eager to ransom you and steal your glasses. (That last one happened to a friend who did Peace Corps there - glasses snatched off her face.)

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
(Seriouspost: Completely different world out there. Trading pencils for food in Botswana was just :psyduck: to me)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Based on those fews posts you might find this interesting. When I was young, my aunt's husband was captured and held hostage for about two months in Angola. If you are interested in the story google Two Moons in Africa. That is the name of the book that someone wrote about the incident.

pamchenko
Apr 16, 2011

the_chavi posted:

Thanks! Drop me a line at hannahdraper@gmail.com, would you? I've never served in a place with a regular USAID component - it's only a temp office out in Tripoli (and god knows what it looks like now).
Definitely will do, sometime today. You know me on Twitter (even if you don't realize it), so when you get an email from the same handle, you'll know who it is.

(I don't know what the USAID office in Tripoli is going to look like, either... I do have a friend who's in strong contention for a job based in Cairo covering Libya... great timing, yeah?)

quote:

I was actually hoping that doing Tripoli would keep me off the Baghdad list for a while - but we'll see! Know a guy named Brent in the PD shop out there? He and I have a ton of mutual friends.
Hmmm... I can't remember a Brent, but I could well have met him sometime in my first 3 (now hazy as crap in my memory) weeks. I don't know that many PD people; lots of POL and ECON.

USAID booted out of Russia I'm surprised it took this long, actually. Sayonara, Moscow.

pamchenko fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 19, 2012

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

the_chavi posted:

Things not often listed in KSAs: ability to outrun numerous gangs of starving Chadians eager to ransom you and steal your glasses. (That last one happened to a friend who did Peace Corps there - glasses snatched off her face.)

Always the most sobering part of the brief preceding any particularly dangerous ground or air movement in Baghdad: "Be sure to wear shoes you can run in." :stare:

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pamchenko posted:

Definitely will do, sometime today. You know me on Twitter (even if you don't realize it), so when you get an email from the same handle, you'll know who it is.

Oh hey, I know you now! #smallworld

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Business of Ferrets posted:

Always the most sobering part of the brief preceding any particularly dangerous ground or air movement in Baghdad: "Be sure to wear shoes you can run in." :stare:

The weird thing about this is when I was in Baghdad in 2009 I saw lots of females civilians walking around in rather impractical shoes and I'm pretty sure at least a few of them were from State. Don't get me wrong, for a guy that had been away from the states for a while it was nice to see but they definitely werent the best "getaway" shoes.

Wonderlust
Mar 26, 2001

Here there is no why.
Thank you for this. I'm still trying to figure this out, I will keep reading things in this thread.

pamchenko
Apr 16, 2011

Business of Ferrets posted:

Please, one of my favourite things about Baghdad is the "shoes you can run in" dictum. No heels for a whole year! (I mean, people do, but I don't. You know, in the interest of safety.)

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
How is Baghdad generally as a post? If I ever do become an FSO in the near future, it seems a likely posting for me, having studied three years of Arabic.

pamchenko
Apr 16, 2011

Macunaima posted:

How is Baghdad generally as a post? If I ever do become an FSO in the near future, it seems a likely posting for me, having studied three years of Arabic.

Generally, Baghdad is fine, except that you're cooped up on the compound all the time. I definitely consider myself better off than my friends in Kabul. Security is much improved over the past-- not that that means that you can meander around the city, or even the International Zone, obviously, but daily life is much less tense. Iraq is not as high profile as it used to be, but there's still important work being done here and I can honestly say I'm glad to be part of it. Honestly the worst things about it are (a) being stuck on the compound and (b) having a roommate, although if you come with a spouse, you can get out of that. As a USAID Critical Priority Country (which for us includes the State AIP countries plus South Sudan and Yemen... Sudan (north) is on the list now, but I believe is coming off, although that can change), I rank it very high.

Saho
Jun 9, 2012

Macunaima posted:

I wouldn't assume that just because you studied or even speak arabic fluently you'd be necessarily be posted in iraq, the fs isn't directing positions there right now and due to the extra pay and other perks, depending on the position, it can apparently be a little competitive to get there.

If you get points on the register for arabic I believe you are required to serve a tour or two in an arabic speaking country but again, that doesn't always mean iraq.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Saho posted:

I wouldn't assume that just because you studied or even speak arabic fluently you'd be necessarily be posted in iraq, the fs isn't directing positions there right now and due to the extra pay and other perks, depending on the position, it can apparently be a little competitive to get there.

If you get points on the register for arabic I believe you are required to serve a tour or two in an arabic speaking country but again, that doesn't always mean iraq.

Yup. Plenty of other non-hostile countries that speak Arabic. You could get directed, to say, Morocco. But likely your second or third tour would be in a tough place. Also, that's only if you get the SCNL points. Otherwise it's just a bidding preference for you, and never any guarantees there.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CherryCola posted:

Aww thanks! You should tell the State Department that :D BTW, is the new review guide worth buying? I bought the one like two years ago when I took the test before. Has the test changed any since then?

edit: By the way, am I the only one who is REALLY pumped about the consular track?

double edit: Does having a security clearance help and/or hurt?

Thats what I picked this time around. Honestly it doesn't sound half bad as I thought after reading further into it.

Since I last took it I've gained some work experience, including a years worth at an international shipping company and started my Master's. Think my chances are improved this time around.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I've posted in this thread in the past but have mostly been lurking and absorbing as much information as I can. Thanks again to those who have provided so much information on the foreign service.

CherryCola posted:

edit: By the way, am I the only one who is REALLY pumped about the consular track?

I'm also interested in the consular track and may designate it as my chosen cone. I currently work for DOL on the enforcement side (H-1B, H-2A, H-2B, U-Visa, etc. amongst other things) and like the idea of being able to interact with applicants prior to them being granted visas.

Part of my hesitation into jumping into a cone at the moment is that I would ideally like to continue working with labor related issues and it seems as though many of the cones extend into this realm. I suppose I just need to conduct additional research.

I've (unsuccessfully) applied for positions within DOL's ILAB as well as with civil service agencies within State. I think the biggest setback for me at the moment is a lack of a graduate degree (and through it exposure to international entities working on labor issues). Thus I am also considering going to grad school.

Hungry Hippo
May 5, 2006

You expect me to eat this?
Vile Rat's passing hit me like a loving truck :(

I had spoken to him quite a bit about joining the State dept. during our time in Goonfleet when I had told him I was serving in the Air Force. It was something that I always had in the back of my mind to strive for, but I wasn't willing to jump the gun and apply until I had my degree and more experience under my belt.

I now have 9 years in the Air Force Reserve, with two tours in Iraq. I've also been a civil servant for over 5 years, two of those as a 2210 series GS-11. I'm currently an Information Assurance Officer for DoD, basically as a jack-of-all-trades IT guy on classified systems. This December I'll graduate with my BS in Information Technology. Two days ago, I finally decided I was ready and put in my application for IMS. Here's to hoping I can follow in Sean's footsteps and hang up my ABUs, and continue to serve my country with the state.

photoguy
Sep 21, 2012
Hey all,

I've been lurking on this thread for a few months now, but just now decided to take the plunge and register so I could chime in. I'm a Foreign Service specialist (SEO - I work for DS but I'm not an agent/RSO) who's been in for a few years now.

Also wanted to say that while I didn't know VileRat personally, I've been following his posts for a while and appreciated his advice and candor - not to mention his enthusiasm for the FS lifestyle. As someone who is still a bit of a newbie (preparing for my 2nd tour at the moment), it is advice that I've really appreciated.

I see a lot of new applicants/hires on here, not sure if I can add much but I'll be happy to offer advice as I'm able. I also might have some questions for you more seasoned FS folks who are more familiar with the bureaucracy than I, but I'll save those for another time :)

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

photoguy posted:

Hey all,

I've been lurking on this thread for a few months now, but just now decided to take the plunge and register so I could chime in. I'm a Foreign Service specialist (SEO - I work for DS but I'm not an agent/RSO) who's been in for a few years now.

Also wanted to say that while I didn't know VileRat personally, I've been following his posts for a while and appreciated his advice and candor - not to mention his enthusiasm for the FS lifestyle. As someone who is still a bit of a newbie (preparing for my 2nd tour at the moment), it is advice that I've really appreciated.

I see a lot of new applicants/hires on here, not sure if I can add much but I'll be happy to offer advice as I'm able. I also might have some questions for you more seasoned FS folks who are more familiar with the bureaucracy than I, but I'll save those for another time :)

And our ranks continue to grow!!

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.
Demonstration going on today in Rome - just like all the others going on the world over. Hoping things stay quiet.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

How much time should I plan to leave for studying? I know there's a test in February (which I'm tempted to sign up for) but if I would rather put taking the test off and allow more studying time than to have to wait another 11 months to take it a second time.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Hope Rome quiets down before we get there. R&R owns. Someone compile me a list of new people to put into the OP

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Diplomaticus posted:

Hope Rome quiets down before we get there. R&R owns. Someone compile me a list of new people to put into the OP

No news is good news on this front. Give me a shout when you're coming to town so we can do lunch.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

TouchyMcFeely posted:

How much time should I plan to leave for studying? I know there's a test in February (which I'm tempted to sign up for) but if I would rather put taking the test off and allow more studying time than to have to wait another 11 months to take it a second time.

It depends. If you are a political science/history major fresh from college and are a strong writer you'll probably need to study little if at all beyond a light refresher. Any other degree you'd need to asses how well you know the general themes of US culture (past & present) and government (particularly federal).

When I said strong writer that translates to being able to write a cogent, well structured short essay from a prompt with minimal outlining/prep time. You may want to write a few practice essays depending on how you feel about your skills. Search my posts in this thread and I expand on this more in a previous post.

Good luck!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I passed with studying 1 week in advance.

It's not the hardest test in the world.

Saho
Jun 9, 2012

Diplomaticus posted:

This is what I could find. Forgive me if I missed someone.

photoguy: SEO
mute: IMS (on the register?)
Bruxism: DS
Giodo!: Civil service, dc
Teleku: IMS, Warsaw
shadowninja: MSG, Tanzania

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For those of you starry-eyed folks pining to join the Department, may I direct your attention to this link?

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/2115.pdf

That's 68 pages of words and forms about how to plan for, execute, and get paid for an evacuation. I love my job, but jesus christ paperwork on evacuation.

Saho
Jun 9, 2012

the_chavi posted:

For those of you starry-eyed folks pining to join the Department, may I direct your attention to this link?

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/2115.pdf

That's 68 pages of words and forms about how to plan for, execute, and get paid for an evacuation. I love my job, but jesus christ paperwork on evacuation.

The world is backwards on that map. This frightens me.

Saho fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 21, 2012

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Dameius posted:

It depends. If you are a political science/history major fresh from college and are a strong writer you'll probably need to study little if at all beyond a light refresher. Any other degree you'd need to asses how well you know the general themes of US culture (past & present) and government (particularly federal).

When I said strong writer that translates to being able to write a cogent, well structured short essay from a prompt with minimal outlining/prep time. You may want to write a few practice essays depending on how you feel about your skills. Search my posts in this thread and I expand on this more in a previous post.

Good luck!

I'm 31 years old in a completely unrelated field. I have a decent (but certainly not in depth) understanding of US culture and government.

I better start reading.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

shadowninja posted:

Marine security guard here, checking in from Tanzania. Just wanted to pay my respects to Vilerat, the DoS personnel, and local security who lost their lives over these last couple of days during these tragedies.

Gonna have to holler at you when I get out that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Diplomaticus posted:

Gonna have to holler at you when I get out that way.

Diplomaticus,

If you dont mind answering, how long have you been in Africa (you are in Africa right?). I was in Djibouti for about 5 months about a year and a half ago.