Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Everybody run it's Sam Lowry's mother!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
more! MORE :getin: :unsmigghh:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
There's no way these are stop-gap models. I don't think GWS ever does that. Either makes you use 10+ year old models or just brand new ones.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpZsIWhXAuE

A day late, but GW actually did a real teaser video?!

Well, it's still unlisted, so they still haven't grasped the concept of promotional videos on the internet.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Phyresis posted:

Mutilators look like :pwn:
those are loving terrible. Like, the current oblits are better and those loving suck too.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I think if you replaced the face they'd be pretty ok looking.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

ghetto wormhole posted:

I think if you replaced the face they'd be pretty ok looking.

They are literally arm and head swaps on the current obliterator model. It's pretty bullshit, actually

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Not related to any new (as in unreleased) models, but the DV Lord/Chosen really make the old CSM squad models look silly in my eyes. Not because of the baroque detail, which I can take or leave, but because they seem to be a head taller and correspondingly bulkier. They're about as big as a loyalist terminator from the same box. Hell, the Cultists are as big as an old Chaos Marine. I mean, I know human models next to Astartes has been a problem, hence the whole truescale thing in the first place, but this is the first time I've really had it brought home to me.

Goddamn this triggering my OCD.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I'm wondering how stuff like this gets through the process. Who looks at these models and says "Ah, yes, these. These will sell."

e: bleh, once you have the master it costs peanuts to make a Finecast mold and the resin doesn't cost anything either, so I guess it makes sense. Especially when you reuse the Obliterator bodies.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 19, 2012

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Phyresis posted:

I'm wondering how stuff like this gets through the process. Who looks at these models and says "Ah, yes, these. These will sell."

e: bleh, once you have the master it costs peanuts to make a Finecast mold and the resin doesn't cost anything either, so I guess it makes sense. Especially when you reuse the Obliterator bodies.

There should be a point where the technical lead sits in silence while looking at the mini, then with his face contorted with rage smashes it to bits with a hammer.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Phyresis posted:

uh

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Thundercracker posted:

There's no way these are stop-gap models. I don't think GWS ever does that. Either makes you use 10+ year old models or just brand new ones.
A few examples were already listed of stopgap models. Chaos had a bunch for the year before the current codex came out.

My FLGS is always trying to get rid of these. They had three on the shelves and I was offered them at like 50% off and stuff because they just weren't selling. I still said no.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Phyresis posted:

Who looks at these models and says "Ah, yes, these. These will sell."

Someone who has read the rules/fluff and met nerdgamers before.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

JesustheDarkLord posted:

if those goofy melty faced turds are little two wound TH/SS terminators with Shred and Rampage you better loving believe people will buy them.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

JesustheDarkLord posted:

frest posted:

if those goofy melty faced turds are little two wound TH/SS terminators with Shred and Rampage you better loving believe people will buy them.

I don't know man, they sound like utter crap from what the rumors say. Three man units of 2-wound "Terminators" that can change their hands into dildos and chainsaws, that sounds like a waste of an Elite slot to me.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Another point raised on Warseer is that they might have rushed these Oblits out to protect their IP and stop another company releasing models, ala Chapterhouse and the Tervigon all over again.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Phyresis posted:

I don't know man, they sound like utter crap from what the rumors say. Three man units of 2-wound "Terminators" that can change their hands into dildos and chainsaws, that sounds like a waste of an Elite slot to me.

I don't personally see the room in my army for a dedicated close combat unit in 6E. Chaos is generally pretty good at shooting and above average in assault, and all these new models look like they shoot pretty well. Fearless cultists to tarpit and squat on objectives, Heldrake and Dinobots to kill the enemy, and Chosen to look bad rear end and make me feel bad about my suitcase of old army men.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Put some terminator heads on them and I think they would look a lot more bearable.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
We still don't know what they are competing against in their slot.

If they are elites and they are up against the cheap chaos terminators, chosen (with awesome DV models), Possessed (great models, hopefully better rules now), standard Obliterators and maybe some sort of demon engine, then unless they are dirt cheap in points they would be a terrible choice.

A lot depends on which slots things end up in, and whether characters can change the availability of models.

There are no new named character models in the release list so far (or new versions of old characters), so we may have to wait to find out.

Hopefully the Chaos Techmarine allows you to take more demon engines/hellbrutes/chaos dreadnoughts so Chaos can do a master of the forge style list.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

I like dedicated CC units as long as they can close the distance, like Thunderwolf Cavalry (unfortunately the meta is shifting against them :(). I don't have use for guys who have to slog (or deep strike in and then sit around with their thumbs up their asses), especially when you can't field enough of them to make a decent sized unit. To top it off, I can see these guys being around 75 points each according to GW's convoluted "logic" when it comes to pricing units, if the rumored rules are correct.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Lungboy posted:

Another point raised on Warseer is that they might have rushed these Oblits out to protect their IP and stop another company releasing models, ala Chapterhouse and the Tervigon all over again.

If GW of all companies can't produce a model they invented faster than a third party working from their supposedly tightly controlled rumors, then all is lost.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Fix posted:

If GW of all companies can't produce a model they invented faster than a third party working from their supposedly tightly controlled rumors, then all is lost.

I personally know a sculpter who would have done a far better job than those wrecks. Why wont you give him a job GW :(

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Fix posted:

True, but there could be loads of reasons they'd want to rush out a kit to cover their arses, then update it properly at their leisure. The obvious one is that they couldn't get the new kit looking quite right, or fitting together properly as a dual kit, in time for this release. If you notice, every kit (other than the Sorc and Aspie) in this release is brand new IP for which they didn't already have a model. It's probably a huge coincidence, but it also looks like they learnt from the Nid gently caress up.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Lungboy posted:

The Tervigon thing was such an utter fail on GWS's part. A unit that everyone knew was one of the must-haves in the Tyranid army that they didn't have a model for until, what? a year later?

By then I'd already converted two from Carnifexs, and I suspect so did every 'Nid player who actually wanted one.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Lungboy posted:

True, but there could be loads of reasons they'd want to rush out a kit to cover their arses, then update it properly at their leisure. The obvious one is that they couldn't get the new kit looking quite right, or fitting together properly as a dual kit, in time for this release. If you notice, every kit (other than the Sorc and Aspie) in this release is brand new IP for which they didn't already have a model. It's probably a huge coincidence, but it also looks like they learnt from the Nid gently caress up.

It's far, far, infinitely far more likely they just made a lovely model.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Thundercracker posted:

The Tervigon thing was such an utter fail on GWS's part. A unit that everyone knew was one of the must-haves in the Tyranid army that they didn't have a model for until, what? a year later?

By then I'd already converted two from Carnifexs, and I suspect so did every 'Nid player who actually wanted one.

Over two years, and certain unnamed individuals had also converted two but went and bought Tervigons anyway. I swear, Tyranid players have Stockholm Syndrome.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe they can have MoSlaanesh and a Lash of Submission ability that pulls units into combat with them. I'd buy lots.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
DA Successor Inner Circle:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
GW releasing a finecast/metal kit and then soon replacing it with plastic isn't unheard of. The Hive Tyrant and Possessed spring to mind.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Maybe they can have MoSlaanesh and a Lash of Submission ability that pulls units into combat with them. I'd buy lots.

Hah! That'd justify their lovely stances. Their arms are wide open to give some power hugs!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Big Willy Style posted:

GW releasing a finecast/metal kit and then soon replacing it with plastic isn't unheard of. The Hive Tyrant and Possessed spring to mind.

Those possessed were some of the worst models GW's made. And just because not everyone has seen these beauties...

You can thank me later.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Fix posted:

First not legal combat squad done! :3:

Nice work, Fix.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
I have enough trouble trying to figure out why I should bother with the current Obliterators, so I doubt I'll even consider the melee type.

If someone can actually explain why Obliterators are good then by all means feel free, I'd love to know. 75 points seems like a lot for a multi-wound model that still dies to a single melta or lascannon shot if the 5+ invul fails (which it probably will).

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like the direction of the troops a lot. The helmets, in particular, look how Chaos should look. They look like Power Armored marines that evolved in their own way. Now... how the gently caress am I supposed to convert my boxed CSM to look like that??

Better learn to sculpt better I guess...

Honey Badger posted:

The Aspiring Champion and Chosen are the only models that really wow me. Those CC Obliterators look worse than the ranged Obliterators, which is saying something. I was hoping to be able to use them to convert regular Obliterators that didn't look like someone stepped in gum, but jokes on me!

Also very disappointed in the loss of cool jetpacks for the raptors, their sleek profile actually set them apart. Now they just look like loyalist assault marines (with way shittier poses), but with more spikes and skulls. Which I guess sells more models to children who want everything to be as "hardcore" as possible. The other thing I hate on the new Raptors that I just noticed is that they have lightning bolts sculpted onto their armor. I wanted to paint those on myself, dammit. Making raptors I like out of this kit would require a hilarious amount of converting.

100% with you. I really dig the look of the chosen and the champ (I'd make them my troops if I could, but am limited to only so many poses damnit!). I like the old raptors more, especially because of their backpacks.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!

Sykic posted:

I have enough trouble trying to figure out why I should bother with the current Obliterators, so I doubt I'll even consider the melee type.

If someone can actually explain why Obliterators are good then by all means feel free, I'd love to know. 75 points seems like a lot for a multi-wound model that still dies to a single melta or lascannon shot if the 5+ invul fails (which it probably will).

This was always my experience. I ended up just taking a Vindicator instead.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Safety Factor posted:

Those possessed were some of the worst models GW's made. And just because not everyone has seen these beauties...

You can thank me later.

Gary Morley's last gleaming

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mango Polo posted:

Hey, it's a Fellblade.

At 155 pounds, it will murder your enemies and your wallet with equal destructive power.

I'm surprised they're finally coming out with Marine superheavy tanks as opposed to IG superheavies.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'm surprised they're finally coming out with Marine superheavy tanks as opposed to IG superheavies.

Perhaps Guard players have started to run out of money and they want to tap into the un-drained wallets of their Marine brethren.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Can only see this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Sykic posted:

Well they are toughness 5 so they are only going to bite the dust from demolisher cannons or warboss power klaws. 2+ save is even better in 6th. I use them to get a couple of volleys of fire, then as a road block that a unit has to fight through if they want to get to my scoring units. Also, overwatch twin plasma can be pretty handy. That and they are the only really viable elites choice in the current CSM dex.

• Locked thread