Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Tardigrade posted:

I think the problem, at least for an outsider, is that the events you mentioned are done by scattered individuals, while those are riots with (what appears to be) lots of people.

Define lots of people. A crowd of even 300 is not a lot of people compared to the whole of Muslim community. Put this stuff into context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've just put together a new blog post using UXO to identify the weapons by the Syrian Air Force, lots of fun UXO videos, etc.
http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/the-weapons-of-syrian-air-force.html

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Nenonen posted:

Religion is the opium of the people. Or, it's safer to demonstrate against a foreign nation than it is to demonstrate against your own government.

Oxycontin is the opiate of the masses. Religion is just some stuff people believe.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Asian Oprah posted:

Oxycontin is the opiate of the masses. Religion is just some stuff people believe.

Yup religious institutions are never ever engaged in power politics with other institutions in society. These religious institutions never ever maintain their authority through social isolation and the threat/reward of the afterlife. :downs:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

McDowell posted:

Yup religious institutions are never ever engaged in power politics with other institutions in society. These religious institutions never ever maintain their authority through social isolation and the threat/reward of the afterlife. :downs:

Oh man I'm high as gently caress on Religion right now :wth: aaaaaahHHh ALLAHU ACKBAR :wth:

Ughhh my boner is so permitted under sharia law I'm gonna come freedom :2bong:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

CJ Chivers has written another excellent article for the New York Times, this time looking at the DIY weapons of the Free Syrian Army, Syria’s Dark Horses, With Lathes: Makeshift Arms Production in Aleppo Governorate, Part I.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Caro flew to Turkey today, then off to Syria.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
Did you try to stop him at all? He really shouldn't be gambling with death a second time.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Assad's days are numbered. :69snypa:

Seriously though, this is bad news.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brown Moses posted:

Caro's going to end up dead if he doesn't stop his war tourist bullshit.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Brown Moses posted:

Oh for poo poo's sake.

Please don't anyone encourage him.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zeroisanumber posted:

Presumably he is going to end up dead anyway. This hobby is just going to speed up the process quite a bit.

But hey! He's already an experienced combat medic, just what they need in Syria!

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

CJ Chivers has written another excellent article for the New York Times, this time looking at the DIY weapons of the Free Syrian Army, Syria’s Dark Horses, With Lathes: Makeshift Arms Production in Aleppo Governorate, Part I.

An interesting thing about the .22 blanks they are using as a primer for that artillery piece, these are probably the kind you get at the hardware store for use in powder-actuated nail drivers. Extremely similar a .22 short blank cartridge, but totally unrestricted under most firearms laws, at least here in the US.

That cannon is made of stuff you can literally find in any hardware store.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeroisanumber posted:

Or on top of Syria's equivalent of the Reichtag waving the FSA flag.

Dude is Internationalist as gently caress, Trostky would be proud of him.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

CJ Chivers also updated his blog with more info on the DIY weapons.

Regarding Caro, I don't think anyone could encourage him more than he already is, he's been desperate to get to Syria, scraping money together, and the only thing that'll stop him is the Syrian Army (or Turkish border police). I'm seriously concerned about him, Syria makes Libya look like a daycare centre.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

NippleFloss posted:

I'm just fundamentally baffled by the idea that we can't or shouldn't make moral judgements about any form of speech simply because someone has a legal right to make it. It's such a stupid argument. There isn't a finite amount of blame or judgement in the world. I can use a lot of it on the people murdering innocents and still save a little for the assholes who unapologetically foment that sort of reaction.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't speak out against people who say unpopular things. Indeed, as staunchly as I believe that those people need the freedom to say what they want, I believe that speaking out against them should also be allowed. But saying things like

NippleFloss posted:

If people wish to craft these sorts of insults against Islam then I'm certainly not prepared to censor them, but to suggest that they aren't at least tangentially culpable for the violence they intentionally precipitate is just stupid. A person can be morally responsible without being legally accountable.
is an underhanded way to try and decry someone for using their ability to speak their mind. In doing so, you're not attacking what they're saying, you're attacking their act of saying it by casting moral judgments upon that act. There's a broad divide between "what he said is awful" and "saying that thing got people hurt, shame on him for saying it." The latter is only even remotely defensible in cases of direct incitement to violence, but "Hey I'm going to be critical or satirical about something you hold sacred" is not the same as "Please kill that person for me." To wit: they're being satirical or offensive - depending on whether we're talking about the paper or the film - but they're not issuing fatwas.

Myrdhale posted:

Wrong. Free speech does not qualify you to be free of criticism. They are allowed to say or publish whatever they want, and I am allowed to call them out on it if I think they're reasons for it are lovely. You're strawmanning me, I never said it should be illegal, I'm saying in my opinion the only reason to publish a cartoon like the one that was published before is to antagonize Muslims. And yes, that's what I think the last one was for, because it was a racist depiction of Mohammed that broadly implied all Muslims are terrorists. They can say that all they want, they don't deserve to get firebombed for it, but guess what, I'm allowed to call them bad people for doing it. That's how free speech works.

They aren't thinking this through to the point of 'I hope a Muslim kills me!' They are doing this just to stir up trouble and infamy for themselves, without really thinking about the possibility of a violent psychopath using it to justify attacking them. I would be hard pressed to believe any other reasons they presented, simply because the only possible use for such a comic would be a racist screed.

Also that's a false analogy for 3 reasons; 1. People have made threats on Obama's life simply because he's a democrat and black, 2. There is a specific scriptural law against depicting the prophet Mohammed, and Christians and members of other religions when faced with something similarly sacrilegious to them have reacted just as violently (bombing abortion clinics for example), and 3. This is in the broader context of the middle east, which has been poo poo upon by the West for 60 year +, a fair number of the violent ones would probably use any justification to get riled up, that's the kind of mindset they are in, they just want a reason to hate the west.

As to anyone saying 'but how do we know More Muslims aren't Violent,' guess loving what, every group in history has had a small, violent minority that have done atrocious things for very vague perceived insults. Most Muslims wouldn't want a depiction of their prophet being presented, many might even criticize it, but the vast majority will simply go on with their lives, because that's what sane people do.

Those that launch threats and act out with violence are a terrible thing, but it's a problem that isn't unique to Muslims. Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Communists,Shintoist, pretty much any group that has a hardcore base of fundamentalists adherents will have a segment of those adherents who use their creeds to justify violence. It's terrible and it's wrong but it's not unique to the Muslim world, and implying it is is nothing short of xenophobic, racist, and Hypocritical.

You've done everything in your power to lampoon me as a racist fascist who only wants to protect bigoted speech, but not done much to attempt to actually provide rebuttal to my actual points - so much as continuing to avoid having to defend your initial statements regarding the publication, it's responsibilities, and my criticisms of your outlook on matters. Furthermore in your attempts to tear down my basic position, you've becoming increasingly paradoxical about what your argument even is. Let's break this down for clarity's sake:

Myrdhale posted:

Yes But I'm still allowed to call a person saying stupid bigoted things with the goal of inciting violence a cockhead right?

You indicate the cartoonists are intentionally attempting to incite violence. This being cartoons from a satirical paper. Yet you sidestep the purely reasonable issue I raised that if that is true, they'd also have to reasonably be aware they'd only be inciting violence against themselves - which is a little crazy compared to the simple explanation that they're a comedy publication doing what comedians always do - play with people's feelings.

You try to make it sound like I'm singling out Muslims for this sort of irrationality, and in doing so paint me as some sort of bigot - despite the fact that we're specifically talking about the threat of Muslim retaliation over things like publishing of cartoons portraying Mohammad. You specifically call out comedic, offensive, portrayal of Jesus and what that would do. The Onion as you likely well know published a picture of a hermaphroditic Ganeesha manually stimulating Jesus while, at the same time anally fisting the Buddha. That image should be upsetting to christian extremists(involving jesus in a mixture of sodomy, group sex, homosexuality, beastiality), hindu extremists(ditto), buddhist extremists(ditto). But to my knowledge there have been no death threats, no closing of embassies, no attempts to exact vengeance over this - all from a paper with almost three times the circulation of the French paper.

Myrdhale posted:

2. There is a specific scriptural law against depicting the prophet Mohammed, and Christians and members of other religions when faced with something similarly sacrilegious to them have reacted just as violently (bombing abortion clinics for example)

I love the fact that you keep bringing up abortion clinic bombings. It is a fantastic example of the sort of doublethink that you're advocating - it's almost more suitable than my example of The Onion publishing attacks on major political figureheads, because you've created an example around religion.

You suggest that we should harshly condemn a paper utilizing their right to free speech to publish satirical, if not critical, and possibly offensive material that may incite an extremist minority - a factor you are expending great energy to reinforce - to violence.

You point out that abortion clinics get bombed for the same sort of irrational, faith-driven logic. I agree, that's terrible. But by the same logic to which you blame a paper for offending muslim extremists, you need to be blaming every single person with a pro-choice bumper sticker for inciting christian extremists. Because by saying "I believe in the right to choose abortion" you are pushing an issue which has been repeatedly proven to incite christian extremists to violence, and therefore should bear culpability for that violence since it is that expression of a belief that potentially sparked it. It isn't a minor issue, in the eyes of those christian extremists - someone who believes and advocates for a woman's right to choose is, in their ideology, effectively advocating for the murder of innocents.

But I suspect you're not blaming anybody other than the extremists themselves for the violence done to abortion clinics; that's my entire point right there. There's doublethink going on that's bordering on demanding a form of censorship that's cloak-and-dagger in it's approach. That through threat of violence we can, and should, control what people say to prevent the offending of the most violent amongst us. Might-makes-right determining our approach to free speech, a thought that should send shivers down your spine.

Cuntpunch fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 19, 2012

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

Discount Dan's Weapons Emporium!

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Can someone fill me in on this Caro figure?

Also, Russia looks to be moving towards blocking Youtube access to the Innocence of Muslims video. Move to ease any tension in Chechnyan sentiment or abuse of new Internet regulation?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Cuntpunch posted:

You try to make it sound like I'm singling out Muslims for this sort of irrationality, and in doing so paint me as some sort of bigot - despite the fact that we're specifically talking about the threat of Muslim retaliation over things like publishing of cartoons portraying Mohammad. You specifically call out comedic, offensive, portrayal of Jesus and what that would do. The Onion as you likely well know published a picture of a hermaphroditic Ganeesha manually stimulating Jesus while, at the same time anally fisting the Buddha. That image should be upsetting to christian extremists(involving jesus in a mixture of sodomy, group sex, homosexuality, beastiality), hindu extremists(ditto), buddhist extremists(ditto). But to my knowledge there have been no death threats, no closing of embassies, no attempts to exact vengeance over this - all from a paper with almost three times the circulation of the French paper.

The problem is statements like (i'm paraphrasing) "This is funded by a 100 jews + the israeli government" and the comment "this was made by america", unlike the Onion the video that made it to the egyptian media was effectively pinning this as "OFFICIALLY AMERICAN GOVERNMENT ENDORSED/PRODUCED THEY OFFICIALLY HATE US", this is what the people over in the middle east effectively heard whether lost in translation or a deliberate attempt is up in the air at this point but its effect is much greater. I don't think the french paper will register a blip on the radar, i mean there were like how many draw muhammed days? and thats on facebook which has even greater circulation than the Onion, but no one was up in arms about it since the danish cartoons riots.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Tortilla Maker posted:

Can someone fill me in in this Caro figure?

Also, Russia looks to be moving towards blocking Youtube access to the Innocence of Muslims video. Move to ease any tension in Chechnyan sentiment or abuse of new Internet regulation?

Caro, worth reading my interview with him at the end of that as well, even if it is lengthy.

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

Caro, worth reading my interview with him at the end of that as well, even if it is lengthy.

The interview is really interesting stuff but I did laugh at: "Much like a fallout game this involved speaking to the other journalists and denizens of the Alnoran hotel and completing various side quests."

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Pakistan is apparently declaring this Friday a holiday to protest the youtube video

http://www.businessinsider.com/pakistan-friday-will-be-a-holiday-to-protest-film-mocking-islam-2012-9

e: also saw this...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/9552147/Syrian-regime-will-deploy-chemical-weapons-as-last-resort.html

quote:

Major-General Adnan Sillu said he defected from the Syrian army three months ago after being party to top-levels talks about the use of chemical weapons on both rebel fighters and civilians.

"We were in a serious discussion about the use of chemical weapons, including how we would use them and in what areas," he told The Times, referring to a meeting held at Syria's chemical weapons centre south of Damascus.

"We discussed this as a last resort – such as if the regime lost control of an important area such as Aleppo."

Speaking from Turkey, General Sillu said he was certain President Bashar al-Assad's regime would eventually use chemical weapons against civilians, adding that the discussion had been "the last straw" which triggered his defection.

His comments come after German press reported on Tuesday that the Syrian army had tested a chemical weapons delivery system.

In his first interview since his defection, General Sillu said the Syrian regime had also considered supplying chemical weapons to the Lebanon-based militant group Hizbollah.

"They wanted to place warheads with the chemical weapons on missiles – to transfer them this way to Hizbollah. It was for use against Israel, of course," he said.

He suggested that the regime now had "nothing to lose" in sharing the weapons and added: "If a war starts between Hizbollah and Israel it will be only good for Syria."

Members of Iran's Revolutionary Guard also attended numerous meetings to discuss the use of chemical weapons, he said.

"They were always coming to visit and to advise. They were always sending us scientists and bringing our scientists to them. They were also involved on the political side of how to use the chemical weapons."

The German magazine Der Spiegel, citing "witnesses, reported Monday that the Syrian army has tested a chemical weapons delivery system, firing shells at a research centre in its northwestern desert region.

"Five or six empty shells devised for delivering chemical agents were fired by tanks and aircraft, at a site called Diraiham in the desert near the village of Khanasir," east of the city of Aleppo, Der Spiegel reported.

The Safira research centre in question is regarded as Syria's largest testing site for chemical weapons.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 19, 2012

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
:( Why don't we get to have a holiday when shitlords do things?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Cuntpunch posted:

is an underhanded way to try and decry someone for using their ability to speak their mind. In doing so, you're not attacking what they're saying, you're attacking their act of saying it by casting moral judgments upon that act. There's a broad divide between "what he said is awful" and "saying that thing got people hurt, shame on him for saying it." The latter is only even remotely defensible in cases of direct incitement to violence, but "Hey I'm going to be critical or satirical about something you hold sacred" is not the same as "Please kill that person for me." To wit: they're being satirical or offensive - depending on whether we're talking about the paper or the film - but they're not issuing fatwas.

I'm judging them for what they are saying, the way they are saying it, their reasons for saying it, and the act of saying it. If they were saying "I'm a pretty big fan of Ice cream" I wouldn't be judging them, so saying that I'm judging their speech act itself is pretty stupid. The act of speaking and the content of the speech are not separable.

I don't feel the need to legislate my values. Just because I think something is unethical or even has the power to cause real harm to others, doesn't mean that I think it should be proscribed. But I have no problem hoping that social pressure can be brought to bear to prevent it.

If some kid goes to school every day and gets called a human being by his classmates, I'm not going to hold the classmates legally responsible if he kills himself. I won't even hold them directly responsible in an ethical sense because ultimately that kid made the choice himself, for a variety of reasons. But I'm also not just going to say "well, they didn't do anything wrong, free speech and all, I definitely see nothing wrong with their behavior and certainly wouldn't wish that they could change it, after all, they really thought that kid was a little human being and were just offering up critical satire to help expound on their deeply held beliefs."

Speech matters, and it influences behavior. If it didn't no one would bother posting on here. The idea that every person is an island unto themselves and as long as you aren't literally murdering someone then you are ethically pure is stupid.

That's all I have to say on this derail. If you want to get in a final response that's fine, but I've done all I can to make my point.

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

NippleFloss posted:

Well, since in this analogy the people being raped aren't the people doing the offending it's more like "that girl intentionally incited that mob of rapists and now they've gotten all hot and bothered and raped an innocent person, maybe that girl should stop going out of her way to incite those rapists with her hot body because literally nothing good ever comes of it and it has no constructive purpose so the net result is more raped people with no actual benefit". But there isn't a pithy saying for that to make you feel smugly superior so I'm not sure what to do about that.

If it doesn't work as an excuse for rape, it shouldn't work as an excuse for being mad and killing people over a youtube video.
(bolded words are my changes)

3 Tablets Daily fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 19, 2012

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Don't do rape analogies. They never work. Its like comparing things to hitler. It will never work.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Are people in the ME under the mistaken impression that the video was either manufactured or condoned by the US government? Or that we could suppress it, but don't because "gently caress you Islam" or something like that?

camel melt
Sep 21, 2006

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Some interesting excerpts from a recent article on TIME's website:

quote:

In the town of Bdeeta in Idlib province — which happens to be the hometown of Riad al-As’aad — rebel fighters complain bitterly about the lack of assistance. “We are licking our plates. We beg for salt,” says Abu Mar’iye, who heads the Martyrs of Ibditha group in the tiny town, home to some 2,000 people. “It’s not enough. Even the weapons that arrive, it’s like a drop, just enough so the fighting continues, so we can kill each other but not win.”

Reminds me of the video where they display the new anti-aircraft weapons that were sent by "America" (or Russia, depending on who you're asking):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf1M1MR3kUw

camel melt
Sep 21, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

Is he an American citizen? Excuse my cluelessness but how is this even legal?

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

CharlestheHammer posted:

Don't do rape analogies. They never work. Its like comparing things to hitler. It will never work.
The point I am trying to make is that we do not accept "she provoked me into raping her by wearing that miniskirt," but for some reason, people seem to be more sympathetic towards "he provoked me into killing people by posting a youtube video that insults the main character in my favorite book."

VV can you prove it?

3 Tablets Daily fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 19, 2012

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

3 Tablets Daily posted:

If it doesn't work as an excuse for rape, it shouldn't work as an excuse for being mad and killing people over a youtube video.
Or perhaps the analogy is incredibly stupid and and you shouldn't try to draw an insulting false equivalence.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Crasscrab posted:

:( Why don't we get to have a holiday when shitlords do things?

What, you're not happy with Columbus Day?

boxorocks
May 13, 2007

Caro, warrior of freedom :allears:

In all seriousness though, Caro is definitely going to get himself killed if he goes to Syria. Here is hoping he doesn't get let in.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

3 Tablets Daily posted:

The point I am trying to make is that we do not accept "she provoked me into raping her by wearing that miniskirt," but for some reason, people seem to be more sympathetic towards "he provoked me into killing people by posting a youtube video that insults the main character in my favorite book."

Except this is more like "a woman on youtube was wearing a skirt so I raped the polite receptionist at my work because they both have red hair".

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

3 Tablets Daily posted:

Criticizing someone for saying something does not equal excusing behavior. Also, the rape anology is stupid on all kinds of levels. (There is no link between 'provocative' victim behaviors and victimization in sex crimes, I don't think anyone is accusing the embassy of doing anything except getting attacked, etc, etc, etc). Basically every single thing you are saying is dumb and a derail.

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Are people in the ME under the mistaken impression that the video was either manufactured or condoned by the US government? Or that we could suppress it, but don't because "gently caress you Islam" or something like that?

The short answer is yes.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Kombotron posted:

The short answer is yes.

The slightly longer answer is that it's not even a totally crazy stance because most people holding such views live in countries where the government has significant power in approving or blocking media works. When you're used to that, it only makes sense that if something gets released, it must have at least passive support by the government, and possibly active approval, simply because it wasn't blocked. Free speech can be hard to understand when it's contrary to your experience.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

boxorocks posted:

Caro, warrior of freedom :allears:

In all seriousness though, Caro is definitely going to get himself killed if he goes to Syria. Here is hoping he doesn't get let in.

We said the same thing about his trip to Libya, of course. Maybe he'll resurface leading a rebel battalion in a few months. Or in a Syrian prison getting electrodes attached to his balls

boxorocks
May 13, 2007

New Division posted:

We said the same thing about his trip to Libya, of course. Maybe he'll resurface leading a rebel battalion in a few months. Or in a Syrian prison getting electrodes attached to his balls

This time around there is the added difficulty of the Assad regime still having more workable aircraft and armour though.

Then again, the craziest people seem to do pretty well in war I guess so maybe his paranoia will keep him alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Zeroisanumber posted:

It probably doesn't matter one way or the other if people -get- how the US works or who actually made the movie. American producer or american actors or made in the US is enough to condemn 'the west'.

• Locked thread