Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
My friend got some hot deals on US -> Southeast Asia flight tickets (2010) from an awesome travel agency... that sadly closed up shop. Anybody else have an agent they go to for long SEA trips? I generally don't even bother for Europe, but I feel like SEA still might be worth using a travel agents for. Only for the big inital US -> SEA flight though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

moflika posted:

My friend got some hot deals on US -> Southeast Asia flight tickets (2010) from an awesome travel agency... that sadly closed up shop. Anybody else have an agent they go to for long SEA trips? I generally don't even bother for Europe, but I feel like SEA still might be worth using a travel agents for. Only for the big inital US -> SEA flight though.

Any recommendations on booking full return ticket as well or just one way as well
?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sheep-Goats posted:

gently caress, Korea is running out of cheap liquor. Get ready for the exodus.

Soju is still free but real liquor that is worth drinking, a man must pay.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
I'm eating some Oriental Kitchen brand cup noodles and they're legitimately spicy, yessssss. Why can't Korean noodles be more spicy like this. I don't think it's in Korea so I'm going to have to take a bunch of this home. Sorry about your spices and curry pastes, Kant.

I also can't believe I didn't take the BTS in the first place. So much cheaper and faster than taking a taxi. Does anyone know how much it'd cost to get from Ekkamai to Suvamabumhi Airport? I have to be at the airport next Sunday to catch my 7:30 AM flight, I want to make sure I can get to the airport and have time to spare.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Mama noodle the best noodle.

Also Cup Jok for lyfe.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

People are soooooo jealous when I eat Cup Jok for breakfast on my morning dives. Hells yes Cup Jok!!!

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

lol internet. posted:

Any recommendations on booking full return ticket as well or just one way as well
?

I've only ever done return. One way is rarely better, unless you're buying with saved up miles. Just set the return day to the max length, and then you can always pay a small fee to change the date if you ever need the return ticket for some reason.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Themata posted:

I'm eating some Oriental Kitchen brand cup noodles and they're legitimately spicy, yessssss. Why can't Korean noodles be more spicy like this. I don't think it's in Korea so I'm going to have to take a bunch of this home. Sorry about your spices and curry pastes, Kant.

I also can't believe I didn't take the BTS in the first place. So much cheaper and faster than taking a taxi. Does anyone know how much it'd cost to get from Ekkamai to Suvamabumhi Airport? I have to be at the airport next Sunday to catch my 7:30 AM flight, I want to make sure I can get to the airport and have time to spare.
Your problem there's going to be the SRT's (Airport Link) opening time, which is like 06:00, I think. Otherwise, you could get from Ekkamai to Phaya Thai for about 35-40 Baht and then airport link (City Link) for about the same - Express for 90. As the Airport Link doesn't open early enough, just take the BTS out to Udom Suk and then hop a taxi on the expressway to the world's most ridiculously named airport (which was named to be "easier" for foreigners to pronounce than Don Mueang) Suvarnabhumi. To be honest, though, you won't save much this way. Easier just to hop in a taxi from Ekkamai.

If you're super-budget minded, there's going to be a bus that runs from Ekkamai Bus Station (nearly across Sukhumvit from Ekkamai) to Suvarnabhumi - some site I googled up says you can catch either bus AE2 or AE3 from Ekkamai. Just tell some lady behind glass "Bai Sanam Bin" if they don't understand airport. Might work.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Themata just take a cab. It's too early to be messing with the trains.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Also, I and a number of other people have been experiencing the famous immigration wait time issues again. So make sure to give yourself the full two hours at the airport. You may not need it, but if you get caught in the queue when Somchai's standing there talking on the phone and it takes 45 minutes to clear immigration you'll be glad you gave yourself the space. It's that bad - and worse - at peak times.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You make Korean money, that's almost as good as Japanese money and makes you a bajillionaire in SEA. When there is no traffic, Taxis fares by the meter can be ridiculously cheap in Bangkok compared to the cost of taking the BTS or metro. f you are going to the airport by 6ish might as well just take a cab. Best way is to drink all night with other tourists in khao san then share a van with everyone else in the morning.

And guys, hands down Indomie is the best mie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indomie

Or Korean Shin Ramyun. The thicker consistency and the spicier broth is surprisingly good.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

caberham posted:

You make Korean money, that's almost as good as Japanese money and makes you a bajillionaire in SEA. When there is no traffic, Taxis fares by the meter can be ridiculously cheap in Bangkok compared to the cost of taking the BTS or metro. f you are going to the airport by 6ish might as well just take a cab. Best way is to drink all night with other tourists in khao san then share a van with everyone else in the morning.

And guys, hands down Indomie is the best mie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indomie

Or Korean Shin Ramyun. The thicker consistency and the spicier broth is surprisingly good.

NO IT'S MAMA NOODLE YOU gently caress

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
^^^ Are those packaged ones really spicy too?

Thanks everyone, a taxi it'll be then. :shobon: Does anyone have any really spicy (and vegetarian) ramen they can recommend that I take a bit of home? I'll look for the ones that have been named here but if there's anything else that is spicy (Shin Ramyun isn't even the least bit spicy :colbert:), I'd like to have it to eat some when I get back.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Agreed. I've been eating the pork-flavoured ones since I was a kid. Raw and cooked.

Themata posted:

Thanks everyone, a taxi it'll be then. :shobon: Does anyone have any really spicy (and vegetarian) ramen they can recommend that I take a bit of home? I'll look for the ones that have been named here but if there's anything else that is spicy (Shin Ramyun isn't even the least bit spicy :colbert:), I'd like to have it to eat some when I get back.

The spicey one is Tom Yung Gung. Pork is the best (raw or cooked.) Beef is pretty good uncooked as well, I never tried it cook before.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 20, 2012

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Mama noodles is alright but god help you if you put the entire packet of secret powder in. I feel my heart doing flips in my chest from all the loving salt in that thing.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Themata posted:

The spicy flavors are spicy. Not all of the flavors are spicy. The Tom Yum Goong flavor is easy to find and genuinely spicy.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Sheep-Goats posted:

Gonna have to agree with Caberham here. Indomie's Mi goreng is the best.

Morricone
Jul 7, 2005
loving database sending me to the Bachelors cooking-thread everytime I try going to the SE Asia megathread. Guess I have to mail the supportbot about it. :sigh:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh ramen dufuses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wugY6HNLOCo

I got an Asian grocery across the street and can go buy all those ramens. All of the different ones.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
This guy has reviewed over 1600 instant noodles:
http://www.youtube.com/user/tontantin

Here's an Amerikkkan eating Isaan food:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuXRQuiuC0M

- - -

AirAsia in Thailand is moving to Don Muang Airport starting next month so make sure you're going to the correct airport :)

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 20, 2012

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
There are some roads flooded again around the Ratchada, Huay Kwang area. I got stuck at Fortune yesterday for over 2 hours from around 8-10. Traffic was backed up on Ratchada and the mrt was jam packed heading towards Bang Sue. Taxis were denying fares as usual.

In other news, Sorrayuth Suthassanachinda. If you guys don't recognize the name i'm sure expats recognize him as the well known media anchor dude on channel 3. He also hosts a current events style talk show and tried to represent himself as a "man of the people" during the flooding last year with his journalism.

Surprise surprise. What he's alleged to have done isn't especially noteworthy but he must have pissed someone up top off something fierce.

quote:

BANGKOK: -- The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) unanimously resolved to take criminal action against media personality Sorrayuth Suthassanachinda for his role in the alleged embezzlement of Bt138.79 million of MCOT advertising revenue.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Ugh, you guys and your loving packaged ramen. That poo poo is awful, tastes all the same and is way too salty. Nothing beats eating real food in a cheap street joint.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

What up asia-goons?

I have 2 more hours to kill in KL airport before i get my connecting flight to Phuket.

Its crowded, the free wifi doesnt work upstairs, half the power points dont either.

There are happy han chinese, bored australians, befuddled americans, casual malays, huddled japanese, lonely solo indians, and all colours of short asiatics i cant identify here. Its raining outside.

So what can i do in 5 days in Phuket?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Kommando posted:

What up asia-goons?
So what can i do in 5 days in Phuket?

Goto Phi Phi and take a day trip to Maya bay. Phi Phi is touristy but that is probably my favorite beach in thailand.

Sorry to poo poo on your itinerary but I went to Phuket for 1 day and I felt the need to get out of there. I'd even recommend Ko Pha Ngan over Phuket.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

lol internet. posted:

Sorry to poo poo on your itinerary but I went to Phuket for 1 hour and I felt the need to get out of there. I'd even recommend Ko Pha Ngan over Phuket.

Fixed that, goddamn what a shithole town.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You can have fun there, but you need to either be an expat or a package tourist who doesn't expect much beyond the package. Otherwise, yeah, get out.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

lol internet. posted:

I'd even recommend Ko Pha Ngan over Phuket.

gently caress you, Pha Ngan is an awesome island. It's got everything - isolated beaches, resorts, party central, jungle retreat, etc. If you hate Pha Ngan, you just didn't bother looking harder than listening to the touts on the Songserm.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

eviljelly posted:

gently caress you, Pha Ngan is an awesome island. It's got everything - isolated beaches, resorts, party central, jungle retreat, etc. If you hate Pha Ngan, you just didn't bother looking harder than listening to the touts on the Songserm.

Didn't say I hate it.. but Ko Pha Ngan sometimes is compared to Phuket. It's good if you stay outside of haad rin area, the same is with phuket and patong?

I actually stayed outside of haad rin at a beach bungalow which was nice.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Walking around Kuta I realised I was the odd one out, I was wearing shoes and not wearing a bintang singlet. I saw an entire family; father, mother and two children all wearing matching bintang singlets. Also I am surprised how quickly they jump on a business opportunity. A whole bunch of singlets quoting a popular tv ad that just started airing in Australia that features Bali. I don't know who would want to wear "Beautiful Breakfoot Rhonda" but there must be someone. Maybe the family who wears matching bintang singlets. Apart from some crazy touts Bali is pretty cool so far, think I would like to get away from the tourist hustle soon though.

imnotinsane fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 22, 2012

any colour you like
Jul 19, 2006

Prying open my third eye
Are you in Kuta now? I came yesterday and I feel like I am in Little America (American mega corporations everywhere). Holy poo poo what a hellhole this is. My flight out is tomorrow, hopefully my head won't implode before then. It's pretty sad because Bali is really beautiful. It just makes me sad to see places like this ruined by mass tourism.

And there's nothing to do here except for getting drunk. Which is a good thing I guess, it made last night bearable.

AntiTank posted:

Ask here. I was there in April-May.
Any recommendations on where to go? What to see? Did you do any trekking, if so what are normal prices in tea houses? I don't know anything about Nepal. Haven't done any research so I'm entering the country pretty blind. All I know is that I want to do some trekking because that has been the highlights here in Indonesia.

any colour you like fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 22, 2012

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Yeah I am here now. I think it is no worse than any other tourist destination it's just more condensed here. I think I might go stay in ubud hopefully that's a bit better. Also all this crap is here for the Australians who come on 2 week holidays and never leave kuta

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I'm staying in kata beach/karom beach. Might go into phuket town tonight for the night market.
Meeting up with the boys this arvo, they're coming from bankok.
This place is full of westerners. I got the softest Thai massage yesterday. It was poo poo.

Thinking of getting out to PiiPii Is later in the week, maybe getting on one of those half day safari's.
All this probably sounds horribly contrite, but there isnt a lot of genuine "what can i do here" that doesnt come from a brochure. There has to be some culture around here that isnt centred on fleecing tourists.
A forest walk or fancy palace would do.

Stupid hospital. Making me miss out on Bangkok.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 23, 2012

any colour you like
Jul 19, 2006

Prying open my third eye

imnotinsane posted:

Yeah I am here now. I think it is no worse than any other tourist destination it's just more condensed here.
I guess you're right. I don't normally go to places like this, so it has been quite the culture shock coming here. More so than the first time I went to India which I find kinda funny.

imnotinsane posted:

I think I might go stay in ubud hopefully that's a bit better. Also all this crap is here for the Australians who come on 2 week holidays and never leave kuta
On the way here I drove through Ubud and it didn't seem as bad/crazy as here, but I have no idea if that is the case since we only drove through the place. And yeah, all these Bogans
:negative:

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

imnotinsane posted:

Yeah I am here now. I think it is no worse than any other tourist destination it's just more condensed here. I think I might go stay in ubud hopefully that's a bit better. Also all this crap is here for the Australians who come on 2 week holidays and never leave kuta

I was actually going to suggest this when i read your post yesterday. I couldn't stand Kuta. The beach was disgusting and covered in garbage (and I *don't* mean the Australians, heyyoooooo... but it was covered in them too), the touts were obnoxious, all the other tourists were loud and drunk and awful. It was like Cancun during the worst spring break.

Ubud is still a tourist trap, for sure, but it's a much nicer one. Cool market, beautiful surroundings, great monkey forest (just don't let them bite you in the face like what happened to me), good food, you can maybe go see one of the fire dances... it's still very much a town marketed towards tourists, I think, but in a much more agreeable way.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

The boys turned up from bangkok, we changed hotels from the Best Western Ocean view to the Centre hotel in Kata Beach, hardest beds ever, Ocean view was better.

I've eaten something and now I am making GBS threads and vomiting molten steel, oh god Immodium why dont you work:barf:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

SG GP last night totally owned, never been to one before so it was pretty exciting!

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Kommando posted:

The boys turned up from bangkok, we changed hotels from the Best Western Ocean view to the Centre hotel in Kata Beach, hardest beds ever, Ocean view was better.

I've eaten something and now I am making GBS threads and vomiting molten steel, oh god Immodium why dont you work:barf:
How much are the rates per night for both hotels if you don't mind me asking.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

lol internet. posted:

How much are the rates per night for both hotels if you don't mind me asking.

Best Western Karom Beach was about $30au per person per night, for a couple, with ensuite, king bed, buffet breakfast and sea view. Gorgeous room, two pools, soft beds, low water pressure in shower. probably cheaper if you book from asiarooms.

Centre Hotel Kata Beach was about $20au per person per night, couple, ensuite, queen bed, one food voucher, nice room, one pool, difficult to find, hard beds, better shower. another couple we met got their room for $20 per night, when they booked here in thailand.

so i guess the idea is prebook one or two nights at a hotel and then book the rest of the nights when youre in country.

-
broke the fever with paracetamol and ibuprofen, last night was an ordeal, do not get those meat stick kababs from the little old lady cart at a nightmarket.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Kommando posted:

Oh poo poo, don't take Imodium. It cures nothing, only transforms you into a tied bag of rancid diarrhea for several days.

Take it only if you have no access to a making GBS threads place, like on a bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Ringo R posted:

Gonna have to agree with Caberham here. Indomie's Mi goreng is the best.

Okay,

I just bought 4 different flavours of this. Any recommendations beside an egg to add to this?