Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

That would have been really cool. Along the same lines, Allison Janney may in fact be my alternate universe wife, but CCH Pounder would have kicked all kinds of rear end as press secretary. But Eugene Levy as Toby? Somebody was smoking crack that day.

You've obviously never seen Mr. Levy's work on stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Mu Zeta posted:

Watching season 1 in HD and in widescreen on Amazon Prime is freaking me out :psyduck: This is awesome.

Yeah, it's great. Too bad they can't be arsed to include subtitles. I have to crank the volume way up to understand what everyone's saying and then dive for the remote when the credits music starts up.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
The complete series is on sale for $88.99 today only as Amazon's deal of the day: http://www.amazon.com/The-West-Wing...XWK9VR7JN8SQ27D

I can't recommend this enough, if you don't own this already jump on it!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wouldn't buy it. Spend the $80 on an Amazon Prime account instead.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

BobTheCow posted:

The complete series is on sale for $88.99 today only as Amazon's deal of the day: http://www.amazon.com/The-West-Wing...XWK9VR7JN8SQ27D

I can't recommend this enough, if you don't own this already jump on it!

Thanks for posting, I've been searching for a deal on this box set. My wife and I want to rewatch the series. She did not really watch it when it first aired but she likes the reruns when they come on. Glad I checked into the thread today.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I can't even imagine CCH Pounder as press secretary.

She would just glare at the journalists until they agreed to write whatever she wanted.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I was thinking today about the episode where josh is freaking out about the poll that says x number of people think foreign aid is too high and y think it should be cut. His break down is awesome.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I used that scene to explain to my wife why I could give a rat's about public polling.

Although, it is a little trick that West Wing uses maybe a little too often. They love to mention something once, twice, three times - but never a context. That way when the reason they're mentioning it finally comes up, it's now a big reveal rather than just, a thing.

They also love to make dialogue one step more understandable on each mention. The one that comes to mind is the episode about the nuclear weapons test detection in season 5. They call it everything they can to avoid calling it a nuclear test, that way they can say nuclear right before the credits so it'll be super dramatic.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I used that scene to explain to my wife why I could give a rat's about public polling.

So you're a big fan of having a select few people in government guessing.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

TheBigBad posted:

So you're a big fan of having a select few people in government guessing.
Yeah, that's the one. Fascism's my bag, you got me.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
My wife and I just started watching the DVDs. I forgot how much we start the show mid-stride in the administration and backfill along the way.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

tomapot posted:

My wife and I just started watching the DVDs. I forgot how much we start the show mid-stride in the administration and backfill along the way.

And, of course, the major flashback info dump episodes (In the Shadow of Two Gunmen and Bartlet For America) are among the very best couple of the series.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
Trying to get through season 5. So hard. Blargh.

I hate Toby's new assistant. Where did Ginger and Bonnie go? (My wife's quick-on-her-feet answer: they got new jobs during the shutdown and didn't come back.)

Help me, Jimmy Smits, you're my only hope.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I decided to try out Sports Night and I love Sorkin but man I'm just not sure if I can handle shoe horning political story lines into a sportscast (especially when I can't stand sports, I totally agree with Dan's interpretation of soccer, except I feel the way about all sports).

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin

FISHMANPET posted:

I decided to try out Sports Night and I love Sorkin but man I'm just not sure if I can handle shoe horning political story lines into a sportscast (especially when I can't stand sports, I totally agree with Dan's interpretation of soccer, except I feel the way about all sports).

I'd keep going, there's really not much of that after the first run of episodes. I love Sorkin, and I know the West Wing is objectively better, but something about Sports Night really works. You don't have to care about sports, believe me, the character interaction is really great.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Ninja Bob posted:

I'd keep going, there's really not much of that after the first run of episodes. I love Sorkin, and I know the West Wing is objectively better, but something about Sports Night really works. You don't have to care about sports, believe me, the character interaction is really great.

This. You will find no better Sorkin characters in my book. I really, really love Sports Night.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

thrawn527 posted:

I've been working through a rewatch with my wife, thanks to this thread. We're about to finish season 3, and I noticed one thing that's off. Does anyone else (who can remember it) think the episode "The Two Bartlets" (Season 3, episode 12) is just really weird and off? The direction seems to be completely out of place compared to the rest of the series. It's rather darkly lit, and there's a lot of long camera shots with the action taking place in the background. By which I mean, in over half the shots over half the screen is taken up by something blurry in the foreground, with the characters in the back ground, barely noticeable, and off to the side.

I can't find any clips online, but it's the episode that starts with Amy showing up at Josh's apartment, and in that scene you see her at the door through a mirror, with random poo poo all over the screen blocking most of the action, including Josh. This is also one of the few episodes I've seen that confirms the year, when it shows Amy speaking somewhere in from of a sign that says something like, "Strategy 2002". I don't remember the exact wording, but the year was definitely 2002. They usually seemed to try to hide the year whenever possible, since it doesn't make all that much sense to have a presidential election in 2002, but here it was, front and center.

I was really confused by the episode, and wondered if someone new had directed it. But it was directed by Alex Graves, who had directed quite a few episodes before. Apparently this was the last episode before he starting serving as "Supervising Producer", but that doesn't really explain anything. It's like they were going for something different, and it really didn't work. (To me) Just wondering if there was anything weird going on that anyone knew about, or if it's just my imagination.

This is an ooooold post, but I've just started watching this through for the first time and was reading through the thread, and I'm watching this ep now, and I'm pretty baffled by it too. Lots of very long shots of one person in a two-person conversation, with the other person completely off-camera or out of focus. It's interesting, but it doesn't seem like the content of the episode is particularly dark or different in a way that would need that.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

Trying to get through season 5. So hard. Blargh.

I hate Toby's new assistant. Where did Ginger and Bonnie go? (My wife's quick-on-her-feet answer: they got new jobs during the shutdown and didn't come back.)

Help me, Jimmy Smits, you're my only hope.

I could be imagining things, but aren't Ginger and/or Bonnie in the last episode? I am sure I remember them standing there during the President's last walk through the West Wing.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Watching S03E21, and noticed CJ still has the goldfish on her desk :allears:

Though that reminded me, I miss Danny. Someone tell me he comes back in later seasons :smith:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I can neither confirm nor deny that speculation.

e:

God, I watched the episode where Toby's brother commits suicide, and it indirectly leads to Toby and Josh getting in a fight. I preemptively poo poo on it because they should never be fighting because this isn't CSI, but in my haze I completely forgot about the amazing moment in that episode.

Toby on the couch, crying while he tells CJ that his brother killed himself.

CJ: Do you want me to get you some water?
Toby: No
CJ: Do you want me to get you some scotch?
CJ: Do you want me to leave?

All while crying his eyes out. Man, Richard Schiff can go

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 18, 2012

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really enjoyed the fight scene, and the episode as a whole. And then the way they sort of half-assed made up later on was really sweet.

I also like the reason they're angry is that not only did Josh quit, but he didn't ask Toby. :smith:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3i14Lo6u7U

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Hillary Clinton posted:

"I said I think we can do better than that, Mr. Speaker"

Unfortunately, I don't think we can.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

Working my way through season 3. Can I watch 4 and then skip to 7? I'm a big Sorkin fan and I don't have the most time in the world right now. Id rather read the Wiki summary of season 5 and 6 than slog through watching it.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

drawkcab si eman ym posted:

Working my way through season 3. Can I watch 4 and then skip to 7? I'm a big Sorkin fan and I don't have the most time in the world right now. Id rather read the Wiki summary of season 5 and 6 than slog through watching it.

I'd just watch everything, but you absolutely cannot skip after about the fourth episode of season 6 and know what's going on in season 7; the huge election arc that starts in early-mid season 6 carries the rest of the series.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You're going to have to watch the first few episodes of season five anyway because there's a teeeeeensy cliffhanger at the end of season four. But those episodes have John Goodman, so you'd want to watch them anyway.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can just watch the first few episodes of season 5, maybe The Supremes, and skip the rest of that. With season 6 go on IMDB and see which episodes have Jimmy Smits or Alan Alda. If they aren't in it then skip the episode. Watch all of 7.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 20, 2012

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Or just watch all of it. Yes, there's a dip in quality in season 5, but it's really not as big as it's sometimes made out to be.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

All right, you guys have convinced me- I'll watch 5 and 6 and with these lowered expectations hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

If you absolutely must skip around 5 and 6, here's the episodes I would describe as must-watch due to either being very good or containing important plot developments:

Season Five
5-1: 7A WF 83429
5-2: The Dogs of War
5-3: Jefferson Lives
5-7: Separation of Powers
5-8: Shutdown
5-9: Abu el Banat
5-10: The Stormy Present (marginal import but I like the episode)
5-15: Full Disclosure (could be skipped)
5-17: The Supremes (this is one of the best episodes of the whole series)

Season Six
6-4: Liftoff (I think everything in the season five cliffhanger into season six arc of import gets rolled into the previously ons here)
6-6: The Dover Test
6-7: A Change Is Gonna Come
6-8: In The Room
6-9: Impact Winter
6-10: Faith Based Initiative (this is where the show kinda splits in two for awhile with alternating campaign/governing episodes, the governing-only eps with no campaign interludes are skippable)
6-11: Opposition Research
6-13: King Corn
6-15: Freedonia
6-16: Drought Conditions
6-17: A Good Day
6-18: La Palabra
6-20: In God We Trust
6-21: Things Fall Apart
6-22: 2162 Votes

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've been thinking about this anyway, but it would be a fun project to do an edited down version of the West Wing. The best exchanges and moments from each episodes, and what's important to the plot but maybe not so good (ie, Josh's season 5 infertility, Leo's heart attack, really anything having to do with Toby in season 7). Reduce each episode to like 6-8 minutes for those of us who can't figure out how to stop rewatching the series.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Matt Santos defeated by surprise, unconstitutional third Bartlett Term!?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

It took everything I had not to squeal at this. Unfortunate that it's a campaign ad, but it's almost new West Wing.

e: Little too much fourth-wall leaning, too.

e2: "Movie-star handsome Louis C.K." Never mind, fourth-wall leaning owns.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

I keep seeing posts like this in TV-IV. Seriously, what the hell? It's a TV show, not a loving chore, guys.

Just watch the whole drat thing. If you get bored with an episode, skip it, I guess?

:dance: If you know anyone who's a registered voter in Michigan, spam the hell out of this on Facebook or whatever.

(Had never heard of Bridget McCormack before today)

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 20, 2012

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I have never once understood skipping parts of a serial in any medium. People on the internet always talk about skipping chapters in books and stuff. It baffles me, other than the 9/11 episode there isn't a single self-contained episode in the entire show. Skipping stuff on re-watches is completely understandable, but why would you willfully ignore parts of the story?

Eikre
May 2, 2009

I am stunned at how well Allison Janney has held up and how well Bradley Whitford has not.

Josh :ohdear:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Since it's not on the white house set, yet still has the seal all over the building, I'm going to assume they've all gone crazy and rented and office and continue to play president.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Eikre posted:

I am stunned at how well Allison Janney has held up and how well Bradley Whitford has not.

Richard Schiff too, the only difference is the gray in his facial hair.

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post

Eikre posted:

I think playing Detective Stark ruined his fine figure forever. Richard Schiff on the other hand... :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Josh sure got fat in the face.

• Locked thread