Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I can't tell whether this is the thread for technical questions or not, but since I saw a questions about mics and such up there I guess it is:

What is the best way to publish a podcast on facebook? I know how to get an RSS feed to post to facebook just fine, but it all it ends up doing is posting the title and description and a link to the direct mp3 file which is a less than ideal form of doing that. I would like something akin to soundcloud's embedded player.

Basically, is there an app/series of apps/programs I can use to make it so that whenever I update my RSS with a new mp3, it automatically pushes it to facebook as an embedded sound aka can play right off of facebook?

I'm not hopeful only because even huge podcasts like WTF do not seem to have this feature (that particular facebook page is quite confusing)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
I think it's up to the podcasting service you decide to go with...

OK, I'm looking for 3 shows to play on my network Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays. Anybody interested in being on the Wedge Radio Network just let me know with a reply to this post. Thanks!.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

WedgeRadio posted:

OK, I'm looking for 3 shows to play on my network Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays. Anybody interested in being on the Wedge Radio Network just let me know with a reply to this post. Thanks!.

Care to expand? I host my own audio files and RSS feed and update it myself through third party software. I'm not really part of a service besides listing it on iTunes.

I'd even be willing to enroll in a service as long as it offers what I am looking for.

Any suggestions?

Pig in the City
Oct 7, 2007

That'll do, pig. That'll do.

WedgeRadio posted:

This seems pretty interesting.

I'm also interested in more information but for your reference here is the bullshit I do:

http://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/historians-of-time/id518521140

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Gozinbulx posted:

Care to expand? I host my own audio files and RSS feed and update it myself through third party software. I'm not really part of a service besides listing it on iTunes.

I'd even be willing to enroll in a service as long as it offers what I am looking for.

Any suggestions?

http://just-ask-kim.com/embed-playable-audio-into-facebook/ I hope that answers your question.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
See, that's the thing, it doesn't do that.

I don't know if theres some setting I have wrong or something but thats not what its doing.

Edit: apparently they discontinued this feature with the new Timeline structure :(

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 20, 2012

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

Darkwing Duck posted:

This seems pretty interesting.

I'm also interested in more information but for your reference here is the bullshit I do:

http://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/historians-of-time/id518521140

I'm listening now, my website is just WedgeRadioNetwork dot com and my email is Wedge at WedgeRadio dot Net. I like it so far. If you want to work together I'm down, as long as you guys are weekly and consistent.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

ieDq2gkeEhYDzkuEWxd0
BsC9GrWkQutyEznOq86R
iJEzpw27P3iMtQWsI1LD
0Mivm4a3uBUse2ckcnIZ
f4MYItIBNKMATune7wdO
4Jr0DhUGSIjqlrD6RiEQ
sWUi3rqDqzHe11L5498J
nFgI81y3S5RIMI5I4zAt
Wsr0dbv8lmUWRqoGgwwo
6HlW8PNaWVtMbfssPwxK

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 28, 2023

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I would say that this one would be a cheap replacement. The mic cradle unscrews and the snowball should fit right on there.

I personally bought one of these

Its a little bulkier but it works with all my mics.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
This is my personal favorite when it comes to desktop stands.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ProLine-MS112-Desk-Boom-Mic-Stand-100623974-i1168473.gc
It's 30 bucks. The small one

King Lou posted:

I personally bought one of these

Its a little bulkier but it works with all my mics.
This one is about 10 bucks.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
So, has anybody had any luck on monetizing their podcasts? Anything out side of the standard Audible/Adam and Eve/Go to Meeting affiliate sales at the like? We've had good luck selling old episodes for $.99 a pop over the years, but we're getting to the point where bandwidth costs for both our website and our podcast hosting is getting pretty costly. It would be nice to have a good way to offset those costs, and I know they're out there, just not sure where to start looking.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Last month was the first month where Amazon referral kickbacks outstripped our bandwidth costs for hosting our files on S3. The way things work out, it only takes a few people actively participating with the referral code to offset the cost of the other listeners.

This only takes S3 into account. Squarespace still costs about 16bux a month, but that's the next hurdle. Breaking Even is about the best we can hope for, especially since actual sponsorship is kind of hard to get.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
I'm trying to work at that, it's annoying and it takes a lot of call making. You have to provide numbers to make it worth it for the advertisers.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Yah, the numbers are important. We're going to test the waters with putting together a pitch and going to hand picked companies that match up with our listeners and see how that works out. Having never done it before, it's kind of hard to come up with said pitch without sounding like a knob!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I've only had Adam & Eve buy spots on my podcast 2x. They don't pay all that well but it was something. The thing was that the lady in charge of the buy would email to complain that I wasn't getting enough people to buy dildos or whatever. The 1st time she bought she complained and complained and then said she wasn't going to re-up. Then like 4 months after she bought someone bought like $600 worth of dildos (or whatever) from them (with my code) and she came back and re-upped and then low and started complaining again. Its just how it works. Its just too bad that only a handful of places are willing to buy podcast advertising.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Man, been a while since I've posted in here.

So I wrote our "we're ending the podcast" post today, though it won't be published until next week. Thankfully it wasn't as hard to write as I thought it might be, though this was something we knew was coming for a while. It sucks ending 12 years of history.

The good parts are A) it gives us more time to work on more professional projects (music videos, corporate events, etc.), and B) we do have another outlet for things that may not fit into the professional category, like our beer reviews and such.

Never thought a podcast about nerdy poo poo and drinking would get me paid gigs, but ah well. We must have been doing something right on Spankwagon to get to this point.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I'm looking to step up my recording game as well as be a bit more mobile + add equipment for use with my DSLR.

I'm looking into the Zoom H4N but I'd have to buy a couple mics. Ari Shaffir has great sound quality and said he uses some $30 mics which would be great. Anything more expensive and I can't do it.

Any suggestions on mics?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

$30 is really, really low. The low-cost condenser mics that I use when I'm away from my studio (read: bedroom) are MXL-990s, which are $80 on the rainforest right now. If you're looking for portable recording stuff, I don't know anything more reliable than a Shure M58, which are about $90.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Song For The Deaf posted:

$30 is really, really low. The low-cost condenser mics that I use when I'm away from my studio (read: bedroom) are MXL-990s, which are $80 on the rainforest right now. If you're looking for portable recording stuff, I don't know anything more reliable than a Shure M58, which are about $90.

So I bought the Zoom H4N and ended up getting a couple Digital Reference mics for $50/piece with it. I need 3 mics for the podcast I usually do (co-host + guest) and can't really justify spending any more money than I already have at this point.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what settings to use for recording? I'm kind of lost in terms of what quality, wav/mp3, etc. I'm also planning on using 4-channel mode (or whatever) so I can record with two mics + the onboard mic for all 3 people. I think that should work fine.

For reference as to audio quality, here's a short joke podcast I did with some friends. This was actually recorded in the middle of a pretty loud bar at an open mic comedy night (comedy was in a separate room). The background noise isn't that noticeable to me and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. We only used two mics on this one (no onboard mic) and recorded it as a mono mp3. I didn't know what settings to use in Quick Time 7 and I think exporting the video out of QT7 really degraded some of the quality but overall I am happy.

Skip ahead to 00:58 seconds to get to the audio recorded with the setup I'm talking about (the intro/outro is not recorded with the zoom and is intentionally lovely for comedic effect).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY8ujTB5gDc

So if anyone has any suggestions on settings to use both for the Zoom H4N and for QT7 let me know.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Anyone else doing the Yourcast thing on EarWolf get the email cancelling the YourCast deal? I got this a couple of days ago.

quote:

Hi All! I'd like to thank you so much for featuring your podcast on Earwolf's YourCast directory. I very much appreciate your support, and hope that your show is going well!

Unfortunately we have to stop doing Yourcast, it's been losing money for a long time and we have to start focusing our limited resources on other things. It sucks. I really hoped it would be great for the podcasters and good for us, but I just don't feel like we can give the support to it that would justify the expense for you or us. Again, it sucks. Any recurring subscription you may have had has already been canceled and you will no longer be billed after December 1st, 2012.

I'd like to personally thank you for taking a chance on us with this. That says a lot about you and makes me love our listeners even more than I already do. It's fun to try to do new things, even if they don't always work out. I hope you continue to try new ways of growing your audience.

Thank you again for promoting your podcast through Earwolf, and I wish you the very best of luck in 2013!

Best, Jeff

Now of course this makes no sense. Yourcast is a secondary page on their website that sends maybe 20-50 clicks a month to the podcasts who pay $5 a month to be there. Its basically a static money maker.

http://www.earwolf.com/yourcast/

The shows listed there have barely changed since they started it. I don't think my position has moved. How could something that has close to 70 sites paying $5 a month claim to be losing money? Whatever the reason I'm not that bummed by it. If they had really wanted to give lower podcasts exposure they could have made rotating button banner that shuffled podcasts. But that wasn't really the idea, I guess.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Cross posting from the Pimp your Podcast thread so as not to derail:

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Not sure where else to ask this, but can anyone recommend me some hardware? I'm looking into starting a show with some friends. I'm looking for a decent mixer with 4 input at most. I'm also looking for some microphone recommendations.

How many mics do you need and how much money do you want to spend?

There's actually a thread for this so I'm going to answer here and there and Pimp My Podcast to give you an example.

I've recorded with a cell phone, a macbook, a Blue Yeti, and stage mics + recorder and my newest set up is by far the best.

The biggest problem I ran into with the Yeti is that if you're recording multiple people (3+ for me) it's all just fed into one audio track. If someone is always louder or quieter there's nothing you can do about it.

I recently bought a Zoom H4N and 2 stage mics + cords and windscreens from Guitar Center. The H4N has two XLR inputs for the mics, can do 4 channel recording (2 channels for the onboard mic, 1 channel each for the stage mics) and so you can edit each person individually. For instance, the first time we used them, the two people on the stage mics were much quieter than me (onboard mic) but the H4N was good enough quality that I could drop my gain and up theirs while editing afterwards and it sounds fine.

For reference, check out my podcast here:

Most recent episode with a Blue Yeti featured goon and world renowned tattoo artist Dave Tevenal:

here

Now contrast that with our most recent episode featuring Bob Cook - the first one we used the Zoom and stage mics - the quality sounds so much better in my opinion.

here

But you have to decide what's in your budget. If all you have is $100, go for the Yeti. It's super easy to use (just make sure you don't monitor via the onboard headset jack. I did that once and didn't realize the gain on the computer I was recording with was cranked up and the audio was blown out without me knowing).

Bonus: Here's a joke 3 minute podcast I've been doing, this episode was recorded with the Zoom setup in the middle of a loud crowded bar and while you can tell I think the audio is still so good it's not distracting (ignore the purposefully lovely intro/outro music. that's the joke):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY8ujTB5gDc

Double bonus for more Zoom reference, I recorded a couple songs played live by one of our guests using only the two stage mics on the Zoom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5bJrBG9NG4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBx7QHWDids

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I got interviewed by a local paper about podcasting...

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/35/51/24_brooklynpodcast_2012_12_21_bk.html

Its not the best article...

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
The fact that its not referring to you as a nerd in a basement and is generally upbeat and positive is a win I think.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

My friends and I host a tabletop gaming podcast. I just posted episode one hundred. UnderDiscussion: The Undergopher Podcast

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
We had interviewed Rice Pirate, a dude who animates and VO for Newgrounds, the other week. It was a great interview and I felt like sharing. Here you go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp_kkku7mgA

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:
A couple other grad students and I just started up a science-y podcast for the university radio station. We're going to be operating on weekly themes and take advantage of the fact that we can access primary research articles to get a bit deeper with topics.

http://standrewsradio.com/podcasts/1522/david-dan-and-zachs-totally-currently-unnamed-podcast-ep-1

Thanks if you check it out!

Ye Olde Automaton
Aug 18, 2009
Another old-timer goon and myself started posting our musings on soundcloud, of which I understand may at some point enable RSS feeds. I'm really liking the interface giving listeners the ability to post comments at points in the track.

https://soundcloud.com/boxedwhine

TomVanDam
Apr 25, 2010
Me and a buddy of mine recently started a podcast and would really appreciate any sort of comments and thoughts about it.Were trying to be a news show but about the things 22 year old guys working dead end jobs find interesting. Basically a lot of talk about games, star wars and movies.

http://unreliablesauce.com/

Cheers if you checked it out!

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I'm reviving my old tech podcast, Real Tech FM. It used to be a 30-minute spot on my alma mater's radio station and focused solely on technology, but now that I'm on my own I've decided to branch out to include gaming news and general internet stuff. Give it a listen!

http://realtechfm.com/post/43400269941/real-tech-fm-episode-22

I'm going to try and release a new episode every two weeks to give me time to build up content.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Hey there former college radio podcast buddy.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Song For The Deaf posted:

Hey there former college radio podcast buddy.
I loved doing the show, but I hated how little feedback I received from any of the listeners - my listener base could have been zero for all I know. I'm hoping that I can generate some interest in the show again and get a small following going, but I've always been horrible at raising awareness of the show's existence. Any tips?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Yeah, my college radio days were bleak on the feedback as well. We were an internet-only station, which didn't help matters.

Raising awareness is tough. My biggest gain was in buying banner ads on the forums. They're cheap as far as advertisement goes, and odds are good that you will find a sympathetic audience (goons are a relatively homogenous audience). Any audience of any size will have an evangelist or two in it. If you have basic social media (ugh) presence, you have a way for them to share your stuff and interact with you.

grhmhmltn
Oct 2, 2005

I'm delighted to be invited!
I record a music/comedy podcast with another goon called jujjin: http://jujjin.com. If you're looking for a podcast that gives you 4 new songs with proceeding commentary every monday look no further.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I've picked up a couple of cohosts, and one Snowball is no longer adequate enough to capture everyone's voice at a high quality. Unfortunately it looks like recording from two mics plugged straight into a Windows PC isn't enough, at least with Audacity. What's the easiest way to record from two mics? Will I need to purchase some additional hardware, or is there a software solution?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Karthe posted:

I've picked up a couple of cohosts, and one Snowball is no longer adequate enough to capture everyone's voice at a high quality. Unfortunately it looks like recording from two mics plugged straight into a Windows PC isn't enough, at least with Audacity. What's the easiest way to record from two mics? Will I need to purchase some additional hardware, or is there a software solution?

You're probably looking at buying a mixer and some mics. Thats how all the multi-mic podcasts I've done have worked. Typically they have something like this Peavey PV6 USB Live Sound Mixer and whatever mics you want to pick up to connect to that. Then that mixes all the channels into on channel that gets recorded in Audacity.

If you're looking to record the isolated mic audio you're looking at something way more expensive.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

King Lou posted:

You're probably looking at buying a mixer and some mics. Thats how all the multi-mic podcasts I've done have worked. Typically they have something like this Peavey PV6 USB Live Sound Mixer and whatever mics you want to pick up to connect to that. Then that mixes all the channels into on channel that gets recorded in Audacity.

If you're looking to record the isolated mic audio you're looking at something way more expensive.
Are there any mixers that work with USB mics? A mixer and some mics are a bit too much of an investment at this point in our podcasting, since we're not sure how dedicated we all are to keeping the show going.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

No such animal. At one point I tried plugging a bunch of USB mice into a hub, but no dice.

This is a wall that everyone runs up against if they are growing their show. There's no way around it without buying some new equipment. Depending on how many people you're looking to mic, you can probably find an audio interface on Craigslist that will work for you.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

If you have a tower you might be able to have distinct USB mics per USB card you install in the tower... MIGHT. You could do that with Mac towers & firewire cards for a program like BOINX for video. But yeah, computers aren't really designed to handle multiple USB audio streams. However Audacity can't record seperate audio tracks live so you're boned there anyway.

There are a ton of people who wish they would. I don't believe there is a USB mic in audio mixer. The 1st person to design one will make a lot of low budget podcasters very happy.

in other news I'm really having trouble growing my podcast. I know I just have to stick with it but the nature of the material is so limiting... Stupid awesome internet....

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
How do you guys organize your show prep? We have a stable of 7 people, of which usually 3 to 5 can show on a given week. During the week, we have a "secret" Facebook group that people post interesting things in. Day of record, I usually gather those links, plus anything else I want to bring up and compose a blogger post, then send out the link to everyone. Is there a better way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ulta posted:

How do you guys organize your show prep? We have a stable of 7 people, of which usually 3 to 5 can show on a given week. During the week, we have a "secret" Facebook group that people post interesting things in. Day of record, I usually gather those links, plus anything else I want to bring up and compose a blogger post, then send out the link to everyone. Is there a better way?

That's just about how I organize my podcast. we have a google calendar that we have topics scheduled out for about a month and a drive where we have a list of what what we want to talk about and where we can store links. The day before the show I send out a Facebook message asking who can make it this week. We usually do some last minute prep while I'm getting the equipment set up.