Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Oh, come on. This is Something Awful. You're supposed to post it, make yourself look like a fool, and we laugh at you and move on. Where else am I supposed to get my entertainment from mocking people?

I am curious about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

God drat it, fine. Most of it was from the Before I Play entry but I went into better details on the skill system. IF make terrible grindfests, but I like that they at least try to do something unique:

Knowing how the combo system works is the most important thing about the game later on. Look up a skill's information page and you'll see it has a type: a number from 1 through 5 and a letter code. A-D are physical moves, R moves are wide range, Ae-He are elemental spells. When you use a skill, it gets added onto a stack at the right of the screen; stack together certain skill types and they'll turn into a combo skill, which in turn gets used in advanced combos.

For each of these, assume A can be replaced with any physical set, Ae with any magic set, but for attack combos keep the letters consistent.

Attack Combos:
A1 + A2 = ATK1
ATK1 + A1 + A2 = ATK2
ATK2 + A2 + A3 = ATK3
ATK3 + A3 + A4 = ATK4
ATK4 + A4 + A5 = ATK5
ATK5 + A5 + R3 = ATK6

Ranged Combos:
R1 + R1 + R1 = RNG1
RNG1 + R1 + R2 = RNG2
RNG2 + R2 + R3 = RNG3
RNG3 + R1 + R2 + R3 = RNG4

Magic Combos:
Ae1 + Ae2 = MAG1
MAG1 + Ae2 + Ae3 = MAG2
MAG2 + Ae2 + Ae3 + Ae3 = MAG3
MAG3 + Ae3 + Ae3 = MAG4

Mix skills are combinations of combinations:
ATK1 + Ae2 + Ae2 = MIX1
MIX1 + RNG2 + Ae2 = MIX2
MIX2 + RNG3 + He3 = MIX3

So to pull off a ATK6 you'd need to do:
A1 + A2 + A1 + A2 + A2 + A3 + A3 + A4 + A4 + A5 + A5 + R3

To pull off a MIX3 you'd need to do:
A1 + A2 + Ae2 + Ae2 (MIX1) + R1 + R1 + R1 + R1 + R2 + Ae2 (MIX2) + R1 + R1 + R1 + R1 + R2 + R2 + R3 + He3 (MIX3)

Deciding on a team is a matter of looking at the skill types characters can access and picking for these combo skills. York gets access to A5, B1, B3, C1, R1, R3, Ae2, and Ge2 - so he's especially good in a B-focused team, but access to R1, R3 and a level 2 elemental spell make him useful in just about any team you like.

Lily is a caster who gets Be1, Be2, Be3, He1 and He2 - give her enough AP and she can carry a magic combo solo, but the minute she hits an enemy strong against ice (BeX spells are all ice) she's toast.

Aurica is special because she's the only character you'll have for most of the game that can use He3. If you want to use MIX combos you've got to use her. Fortunately, she's also the best mage and healer.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hey have have The Last Remnant for PC but for some reason it won't reconize any gamepad I plug in.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Dr Pepper posted:

Hey have have The Last Remnant for PC but for some reason it won't reconize any gamepad I plug in.

What kind of gamepad are you using?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Pretty sure it's one of those games you gotta run a "this is totally a 360 pad" program

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Honest Thief posted:

Pretty sure it's one of those games you gotta run a "this is totally a 360 pad" program

It's a squarenix game, of course it is. The question is which program will work with his gamepad.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Stroth posted:

It's a squarenix game, of course it is. The question is which program will work with his gamepad.

I just finished playing through The Last Remnant with my PS3 controller and MotioninJoy drivers with no issue.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Honest Thief posted:

My game-pad is a 360 controller. :suicide:

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Dr Pepper posted:

My game-pad is a 360 controller. :suicide:

I plugged mine in and it worked without having to do anything, don't know what to tell you.

Actually, after googling it, it seems like a fairly common problem, and some people are saying: unplug the controller or the wireless dongle, uninstall the drivers, then plug it back in (and it should install itself again), and then it works (maybe).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So it looks like that Inquisitor game just came out yesterday. Anyone check it out?

Passion for Dilbert
Dec 5, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So it looks like that Inquisitor game just came out yesterday. Anyone check it out?

Yeah, it's pretty good IMO. Fairly old-school and ball bustingly hard. Plays a lot more like a Baldur's Gate or Divine Divinity than Diablo. There's a bit of discussion in the GOG thread but it doesn't have an actual thread yet.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I've only played Inquisitor for a little while, but I've already died, and I haven't even left the starting town. :( However I spent most of that time talking with citizens and gathering quests and clues, and didn't spend much time equipping myself or getting ready for combat in any way.

I can definitely see elements of Divine Divinity or Baldur's Gate.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
In Inquisitor, do you really just walk at a snail's pace like they show in the trailer? Even the walking animation looks absolutely hilarious what with no upper body movement what so ever.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rascyc posted:

In Inquisitor, do you really just walk at a snail's pace like they show in the trailer? Even the walking animation looks absolutely hilarious what with no upper body movement what so ever.

You can 'run', but that's just the regular walking animation sped up. Inquisitor isn't all that modern from a technical polish POV, but god-drat is it immersive. Going around, collecting clues- I'm just doing the subquests right now, haven't put anyone to the rack yet, but I'm already having suspicions that not everything is all on with the main quest right now :allears:

I've also fought my first boss, who seemed near-godlike until I discovered his weakness ;) Nice to have a boss who you don't take down via repeated beatings.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

You can 'run', but that's just the regular walking animation sped up. Inquisitor isn't all that modern from a technical polish POV, but god-drat is it immersive. Going around, collecting clues- I'm just doing the subquests right now, haven't put anyone to the rack yet, but I'm already having suspicions that not everything is all on with the main quest right now :allears:

I've also fought my first boss, who seemed near-godlike until I discovered his weakness ;) Nice to have a boss who you don't take down via repeated beatings.

I decided to give this one a shot. Made a priest, my only offensive spell failed constantly. So I put some points into that school's skill and tried again. My success rate for casting is now lower. No combat mechanics are explained in game or in the manual, which instead opted for loving descriptions of medieval torture equipment.

What the hell?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Does anyone have any experience with Final Fantasy Tactics on iOS? I'm considering getting it on my iPod cuz I'm a sucker for Tactics, but it sounds like it's suffering from a lot of the major bugs that the PSP version had, without really having the possibility of mods to fix them.

blue font
Feb 28, 2011
Picked KOTOR2 up on steam when I saw it was out. I've been playing the hell out of since then, I just can't stop. I kinda went through a quick playthrough of this game when it came out years ago, and remember it being kind of a cool game, but didn't give it much thought beyond that.

I'm enjoying it much more that I'm older. Unlike my younger self, I tend to value good writing over good combat anymore. The game takes such a unique look on the force and the star wars universe that I can't help but get sucked in. Even in it's unfinished state, sans restoration patch, in ways the game is phenomenal. At least it scratches a lot of my RPG itches: enthralling story, the genesis of the influence system (maybe?), good crafting, interesting companions and skill checks out the wazoo. Very satisfying dark side, too, Obsidian is great at writing evil.

There are a few gripes, of course. It's kind of annoying how often and unexpectedly your party gets split up, which isn't a big deal if you're prepared and make some of your dudes jedi. The jedi thing is difficult, though, because unless you have the right party members in your team at the right times, you'll probably miss a few important influence opportunies and never get the chance to train them. I'm guessing there would've been more influence checks if the game hadn't been rushed. Also the AI is kind of dumb and at times they completely forget orders you've given them only to run 20ft away so they can attack a random turret. Also all the female NPCs have dumb hairdos.

But really, I haven't been able to put KOTOR2 down since I bought it. Guess it's not a surprise, since I adore pretty much everything that Obsidian puts out. It's a good RPG, and I think it holds up despite it being unfinished in parts. Pains me to think of how amazing the game would've been if they had more time with it. The restoration patch is great, and the HK factory is hilarious, but I really wish we could've seen KOTOR2's true potential :B

long, random post sorry. what's obsidian up to these days? Just the south park RPG?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

blue font posted:

long, random post sorry. what's obsidian up to these days? Just the south park RPG?

They're also involved in Wasteland 2, but not very heavily. And apparently they've been hired to make a Wheel of Time game, but there hasn't been any announcement about that yet.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
I'm taking this mostly from my post in the xbox thread.

My boyfriend and I just finished War in The North, and greatly enjoyed it. The combat was very solid, there was vast swaths of neat loot, and all of the abilities were interesting. What are some others games like it?

We played Baulder's Gate: Dark Alliance, as well as the Champions of Norath games and some of Sacred 2. We were hoping for something more like WiTN's gameplay though, and I think the only thing like it is Hunted: The Demon's Forge. While it's far more Gears of War than Baulder's Gate, it might be fun.

We'd be willing to check out almost anything, as long as it has local co op. We're playing Borderlands right now, but there's something special about hitting things swords and sticks. I get the feeling however that WiTN was one of, if not the best game of it's kind out there.

He has a 360, PS3, Wii and a decent enough laptop with HDMI. So really anything's on the table.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Final Fantasy Tactics on iOS? I'm considering getting it on my iPod cuz I'm a sucker for Tactics, but it sounds like it's suffering from a lot of the major bugs that the PSP version had, without really having the possibility of mods to fix them.

They patched some of the problems since release, but yeah the slowdown is still there.

My main problems with it:

-Slowdown, which you honestly get used to
-Touch controls are very finicky. A lot of the time Clicking and Dragging is more accurate than just trying to click but the game doesn't tell you this.
-The "additional" content they added in the PSP that was multiplayer stuff was removed. All the rewards for it are given just by beating the game, and it's absolutely overpowered stuff that is better than anything else you can find in the game. For some weapons they add like 3 additional tiers above the "super" weapons.

This is all offset by the fact that I have FFT on my phone whenever I feel like it and I beat the whole thing :v:

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

SSJ Reeko posted:

My boyfriend and I just finished War in The North, and greatly enjoyed it. The combat was very solid, there was vast swaths of neat loot, and all of the abilities were interesting. What are some others games like it?

We played Baulder's Gate: Dark Alliance, as well as the Champions of Norath games and some of Sacred 2. We were hoping for something more like WiTN's gameplay though, and I think the only thing like it is Hunted: The Demon's Forge. While it's far more Gears of War than Baulder's Gate, it might be fun.

We'd be willing to check out almost anything, as long as it has local co op. We're playing Borderlands right now, but there's something special about hitting things swords and sticks. I get the feeling however that WiTN was one of, if not the best game of it's kind out there.

He has a 360, PS3, Wii and a decent enough laptop with HDMI. So really anything's on the table.

Dead Island is basically Borderlands with zombies and a melee weapon focus, you might try that. Maybe not fantasy, but there is lots of hitting things with sticks to go around.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

SSJ Reeko posted:

Dungeon Siege 3 might be worth a shot. It's reminiscant of Dark Alliance though more story-heavy. The action is a great deal more twitchy though, taking some cues from console action-games. Fun to play locally. Don't forget the DLC if you do decide to get the game.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009

Agnostalgia posted:

Dead Island is basically Borderlands with zombies and a melee weapon focus, you might try that. Maybe not fantasy, but there is lots of hitting things with sticks to go around.

Dead Island doesn't have local co-op. :(

Leinadi posted:

Dungeon Siege 3 might be worth a shot. It's reminiscant of Dark Alliance though more story-heavy. The action is a great deal more twitchy though, taking some cues from console action-games. Fun to play locally. Don't forget the DLC if you do decide to get the game.

I do have DS3 on PC, that might be worth trying out. Don't know if his laptop is good enough for it though, so we'd probably end up buying another copy.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

SSJ Reeko posted:

Dead Island doesn't have local co-op. :(

Seriously? I had the PC version so didn't know that. That's pretty stupid.

Passion for Dilbert
Dec 5, 2007

Yeah, I was really disappointed to find that out after me and my housemate played through Borderlands. It would have been so good too.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

blue font posted:

They had a next gen xbox title that got canned by Microsoft earlier this year and they had to lay off a lot of guys.

Just teased a new project, new IP maybe: http://obsidianent.com/

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just started playing The Last Remnant on PC. This poo poo is gonna keep me :spergin: for a while, it has all my favorite mechanics in it.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

MockingQuantum posted:

I wouldn't say it has any issues that cripple the game or make it un-fun. Some of the battle animations are a little laggy and the controls aren't as good as they are on a console with a dozen buttons. I played it all the way through on my iPhone and loved it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ross posted:

I wouldn't say it has any issues that cripple the game or make it un-fun. Some of the battle animations are a little laggy and the controls aren't as good as they are on a console with a dozen buttons. I played it all the way through on my iPhone and loved it.

I'm such a fanboy. I bought it about ten minutes after posting my question and I feel no regret whatsoever. I do agree that touch controls are finicky, but not as bad as I expected, actually. Plus this is the first time I've played anything but the original translation, and it's weird actually feeling like I know what's going on.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
So I was thinking of picking up On the rain slicked precipice of darkness 3, since I really liked Zeboyd's other games, from a story perspective do you need to have played the first two games, or can I just jump straight into number 3?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Polite Tim posted:

So I was thinking of picking up On the rain slicked precipice of darkness 3, since I really liked Zeboyd's other games, from a story perspective do you need to have played the first two games, or can I just jump straight into number 3?

I played a bit of 1, none of 2, and loved 3. So I'd say you don't really need to know anything about it. Mostly just have to like Penny Arcade writing.
But really I thought Zeboyd made a great game there, I'm very excited for more.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Polite Tim posted:

No, not especially. The first two games would explain some in-jokes, but basically all you need to know is that there's a bunch of gods trying to destroy reality, and there's a poem involving candles on a windowsill that is an allegory for it all. I honestly can't think if there were any other major plot elements in the first two. You won't know precisely who some ancillary characters are, but I don't think it really matters.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
How good is Neverwinter Nights 2? I've heard great things about Mask of the Betrayer, is it worth playing through the original first or can/should I jump right in?

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

How good is Neverwinter Nights 2? I've heard great things about Mask of the Betrayer, is it worth playing through the original first or can/should I jump right in?

Like a 7/10. Good, but not great. Act one drags on like forever. Acts two and three picks up the pace and it gets good. I'd recommend a quick play through, Mask of the Betrayer is a continuation of the original campaign and there's characters and references to things that happen.

It's not needed or anything though.

Kieyen fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 20, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kieyen posted:

Like a 7/10. Good, but not great. Act one drags on like forever. Acts two and three picks up the pace and it gets good.

If you like making your own magic armors and weapons though it's pretty fun. I'm not that big on most crafting systems but because of the way NWN2's one is set up, you can make stuff that's really yours. Well, yours as wide as the game's enchantment database is, at least.

But this could just be me saying "I like naming my weapons and poo poo"

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

It's not great, but it's a drat sight better than NWN1's original campaign in that they knew enough to add in some unique mechanics, a town to grow, and a couple of very extensive scripted sequences which turn out pretty good. There's just a lot of chaff in between.

If you're intending to get MoB then yeah, play through it just to give yourself some context if nothing else.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I really tried playing it and I liked the story, but I couldn't make myself play past a point. I could not deal with that drat camera, and that was with a bunch of tweaks installed.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Speaking of NWN2, is there anywhere to buy it online anymore? It vanished off Steam a while ago, the only place I've seen that still has it is gamersgate, and only as a complete set of both games and all the expansions for $30--I only really care about NWN2 and MotB.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
The NWN2 chat needs to be buffered with this: original NWN 2 is okay-at-best with a few inspired bits. Mask of the Betrayer, however, is one of the best CRPGs ever made.

Ever. Straight up. Yes, it's up there with Torment and Baldur's Gate 2. It is absolutely, mindblowingly good and worth picking up the entire NWN2 package for.

Read the LP over on the LP Archive if you must, but play it if you can. It is worth every moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
SpaceDrake is not exaggerating about Mask of the Betrayer. It is hands down one of the best RPGs.

Perhaps the biggest issue with it is that as it's an epic level campaign the combat (esp. power/spell selection) and class building can be overwhelming if you're not familiar with D&D or not importing from NWN2. It picks up directly after the underwhelming NWN2 campaign.