Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Sublimer posted:

Years of being a goon have exposed me to so many subtle trolls that these BA fucks just can't handle.

pretty good, man- four pages!- but why are they saying your glass is dirty?

also, i considered posting BA reviews starting with "poured into a 10oz plastic purple Dora the Explorer cup" or "decanted into a 20oz butterfly-printed plastic tumbler from Target," but never gave enough of a drat to actually post them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I think I might pour my classic gueuze into my 100oz beer boot after frosting it.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Going to be in Dayton, OH this weekend for a wedding, and I'll be in Dayton proper with a car for Thursday night and all of Friday. Any suggestions on stuff to pick up there that I might not get in Jersey, archaic liquor laws to watch out for (I did see they have a 12% ABV cap on beer :argh:), or particularly good stores/bars to visit?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

No crazy laws in Ohio beyond the 12% abv cap.

As for anything special here, there's not a whole lot that doesn't also make it to NJ as far as I know.
Some of the northern Ohio breweries are pretty great. Brew Kettle, Fatheads, Hoppin Frog (this probably makes it to NJ), and some others I'm forgetting.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

funkybottoms posted:

pretty good, man- four pages!- but why are they saying your glass is dirty?

Apparently they think if there are some bubbles on the side of a glass then that means its dirty.

Or a number of other things like perhaps the glass is much colder than the beer being poured into it :ssh:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Podima posted:

Going to be in Dayton, OH this weekend for a wedding, and I'll be in Dayton proper with a car for Thursday night and all of Friday. Any suggestions on stuff to pick up there that I might not get in Jersey, archaic liquor laws to watch out for (I did see they have a 12% ABV cap on beer :argh:), or particularly good stores/bars to visit?

I live in New Jersey and went to Ohio not so long ago, look for White Rajah from The Brew Kettle, and Columbus IPA as local beers. Also Ohio gets Alesmith, Bells, Fat Head's, and Two Brothers. Oh also look for Evil Twin's Imperial Biscotti Break!

As for the glass being dirty, carbonation finds imperfections/dirt to cling to, so the bubble on the side of the glass are an indication of the glass being dirty, but that could just be a product of the frosted mug.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

It's the product of how awesome you are and if you can you should just post :colbert: to the thread :colbert:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Podima posted:

Apparently South Park Tavern is pretty good, but they didn't open until after I moved out of the state, so I can't speak from first hand experience.

I don't think I ever actually saw what I would consider a top-notch liquor store in Ohio (they're all state-managed somehow), but there are some grocery stores that have a good selection. In Dayton, I'd say go to one of the Dorothy Lane Market locations and take a look around.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Docjowles posted:

Post pics of yourself in the bro-est getup you can find pounding Kate the Great from a funnel or ice luge or something

Oh gently caress. I'm gonna have to do this with a King Henry tomorrow night.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Hold on while I pour a bottle of Bourbon County Stout into a filthy coffee mug and slam that poo poo. And then post that the coffee stains added complexity that dovetails with the roasted barley and chocolate malt.

/edit Actually, is this good enough?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Does anyone have access to Midnight Sun brewing? I'm mostly interested in their Imperial Pumpkin Porter called TREAT because I just brewed a pumpkin porter and would like to see how it compares.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

They go to OR but I haven't seen anything pumpkin from them yet anyway. Distinct lack of it here yet.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Ubik posted:

/edit Actually, is this good enough?

Thats pretty good man, but do you have a bottle of Don Quijote or Isabelle Proximus to do a beer monster with?

Beer monster = pulling your shirt over you head and drinking through your shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLT9qT3aQWg

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Midorka posted:

Does anyone have access to Midnight Sun brewing? I'm mostly interested in their Imperial Pumpkin Porter called TREAT because I just brewed a pumpkin porter and would like to see how it compares.

Epic has a pumpkin porter as well. It was alright.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Podima posted:

If you will be passing through Northeast OH at all, you should try to stop and get some Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA. I don't think it gets distributed in the Toledo area, but I know we get a ton of it in the Akron area. It's a super duper good citra based IPA.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Are they calling it "loon" because you called it that, or do BA idiots just call Cantillon that regularly?

e: just found the post of someone asking when loons started, so I guess that was you. That's perfect.

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 20, 2012

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Someone tell me which oktoberfest seasonals I should keep an eye out for in the midwest cause I dunno what the gently caress - everyone does one.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

nuncle jimbo posted:

Someone tell me which oktoberfest seasonals I should keep an eye out for in the midwest cause I dunno what the gently caress - everyone does one.

Ayinger's is pretty drat good, but it's really subtle in everything, not forward like the American versions I've had, ala Sam Adams.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
If you get Victory their Festbier is hands down my favorite that's made in the states. I also really like Flying Dog's Dogtoberfest.

Shai Hulud
Feb 23, 2004

Bell's Oktoberfest is prty gud

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Shai Hulud posted:

Bell's Oktoberfest is prty gud

They're not bottling it this year though so he might have some trouble finding it.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

nuncle jimbo posted:

Ayinger or bust.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Ayinger and Hacker-Pschorr for German ones. US craft- I like Victory, Great Lakes and Sam Adams. If you're in Texas, I think it's worth trying all the ones from big TX craft breweries. Suggest Live Oak, Real Ale, and St. Arnold in that order.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Podima posted:

Going to be in Dayton, OH
For a bottle shop, Belmont Party Supply did alright by me last time I was there. It's dark, dingy, and tucked away in an unremarkable strip mall but had one of the better selections I've seen just about anywhere.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Are they calling it "loon" because you called it that, or do BA idiots just call Cantillon that regularly?

e: just found the post of someone asking when loons started, so I guess that was you. That's perfect.

Nah man that wasn't me. BA idiots started it, I presume

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Shai Hulud posted:

Didn't find a mention of this (other than Trot to Trotsky's namedrop of the brewery) via search and thought I'd share. Behold the greatest, or at least one of the better, beers you will ever try (assuming you live within their very limited distribution area):

Dragonmead Brewery's Final Absolution. With such a lovely label, you know it has to be good. Even their website is awesomely bad. Like, Geocities bad. I moved to SE Michigan from parts much farther south about a year ago and have been pleasantly surprised by the beer, but this place is in another league. I'll pop over to the exchange for sharing if people are interested.

I love that beer. One of my last memories of my Dad was him taking us to Dragonmead two summers ago when we were out visiting him at his home in Milford, MI. Deagonmead rules. It's so incredibly corny and campy and they have a lot of fun with the whole thing. There is a suit of armor on display in the tasting room. I also recall enjoying the Ring of Fire, which was some hot pepper spiced beer.

When he died we got two kegs from Dragonmead for the reception after his memorial. Broken Paddle IPA and some kind of English ESB, I think.

Dragonmead will always be a special place to me. :)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Wamsutta posted:

I love that beer. One of my last memories of my Dad was him taking us to Dragonmead two summers ago when we were out visiting him at his home in Milford, MI. Deagonmead rules. It's so incredibly corny and campy and they have a lot of fun with the whole thing. There is a suit of armor on display in the tasting room. I also recall enjoying the Ring of Fire, which was some hot pepper spiced beer.

When he died we got two kegs from Dragonmead for the reception after his memorial. Broken Paddle IPA and some kind of English ESB, I think.

Dragonmead will always be a special place to me. :)

That's a really nice story. Thanks for making me feel better about humanity. And sorry about your dad. He sounds like a pretty good guy.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
LA beer week starts today, new Stone company store soft opening in Pasadena, tons of other events...I'm going to the DFH takeover at Far Bar...

Taplist:
Fort (18% ABV Raspberry Beer)
Old School (15% ABV Barleywine)
60 Minute IPA
90 Minute IPA
120 Minute IPA
Miles Davis' Bitches Brew
Burton Baton
Immort Ale
Palo Santo Marron
Black and Blue
Raison D' Etre
Punkin
Something special on the Randall (TBD)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Casual Yogurt posted:

LA beer week starts today, new Stone company store soft opening in Pasadena, tons of other events...I'm going to the DFH takeover at Far Bar...

Taplist:
120 Minute IPA
Immort Ale
Black and Blue
Raison D' Etre
Punkin

Don't get any of these. HTH.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Is that Bitches Brew cellared from the original release in 2010 or did they keep making it? I always wanted to try it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Casual Yogurt posted:

not to be all "DFH sucks," but Fort was surprisingly bad. i would advise you not to order a full pour without sampling it.

edit- haha, in the time it took me to turn around and send a fax, i'm beaten to the punch

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

funkybottoms posted:

not to be all "DFH sucks," but Fort was surprisingly bad. i would advise you not to order a full pour without sampling it.

Fort is great to open first at a bottle share if you want to get hosed up and end your pub crawl on the second bar and feel real bad the next day. Ask me how I know.

And I'm pretty sure they released Bitches Brew last year too.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

edit- haha, in the time it took me to turn around and send a fax, i'm beaten to the punch

I'm back reading this thread more regularly so you are going to have to work faster to beat me talking about how bad certain beers are.

For content: I have two bottles of Saison-Brett from the last release, and I'm wondering how well these guys develop over time. Is it an Orval type thing where it's like in two years they will be mindblowing, and therefore I should sit on both of them? Or should I have one whenever and open another one in a year or so.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 20, 2012

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Casual Yogurt posted:

Taplist:
60 Minute IPA
90 Minute IPA
120 Minute IPA
Miles Davis' Bitches Brew
Burton Baton
Immort Ale
Palo Santo Marron
Black and Blue
Raison D' Etre
Punkin
Something special on the Randall (TBD)

120 Minute and Black and Blue are terrible (though if you can get a 2oz pour of 120 just to try it for the novelty, you should). 60, 90, Burton, and Bitches Brew are all good, but I don't remember having any of the others.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Im reasonably sure that 120 Minute is almost exclusively for elitist beer geeks to flaunt their superior taste in beer at everyone in the room.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Luckily, they too are paying customers. :v:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I like Immortal just fine.

And also to not go all DFH sucks on you, but I'm willing to bet there's another tapping that will be better than this. I don't know what their distro is like in LA, but none of these are hard to come by.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
A local place has several 4-packs of BCS for $7.49. Is this a stupid-low price/should I stock up? I've tried it once before and loved it, but I'm not sure what the price was at the time.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

RHIN0002 posted:

A local place has several 4-packs of BCS for $7.49. Is this a stupid-low price/should I stock up? I've tried it once before and loved it, but I'm not sure what the price was at the time.

Brooklyn Chocolate Stout or Bourbon County Stout? If it's the latter (though I'd be shocked at the pricing mistake), buy out the store. Don't think I've ever had Brooklyn's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yeah, Bourbon County four-packs go for ~$20 depending on where you are. Clean house.

E: Nvm