Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Mark of Khorne granting Counter-attack is kind of hilarious. You're ALMOST as good as a Grey Hunter, as long as the standard is alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Mango Polo posted:

Slaanesh owns, Tzeentch drools, Nurgle is stupefied he causes Fear instead of granting Feel No Pain. Khorne does what Khorne always does.

Comparing the icon of Khorne to Tzeentch is loving hilarious. Bolt weapons get that lovely Soul Blaze rule, or Furious Charge + re-roll charge distance? Counter-attack and Berzerker (does he mean Rage or is this a 6th ed thing I've forgotten) vs. +1 Invuln.

frest, it looks like Marks and Icons are decoupled now. You need the Mark to take the Icon but you keep the Mark bonus whether the Icon is alive or not.

Slaanesh got a major boost, FNP is great and Sonic Blasters are pretty cool for reducing the impact of Overwatch. Noise Marines might not be completely worthless!

Sykic posted:

"Yes, this'll help us sell them!" :shepface:

Haha I hadn't even seen this one. What a piece of poo poo.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mango Polo posted:

Seems like BramGaunt read and translated the CSM codex pictures in the new White Dwarf:

Slaanesh owns, Tzeentch drools, Nurgle is stupefied he causes Fear instead of granting Feel No Pain. Khorne does what Khorne always does.

gently caress. Yes.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Who would the four main chapters have been at the time?

Ultramarines, Imperial Fists, Angels of Death?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels and Space Wolves.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

What.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/311870

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Holy poo poo, that is taking it to the next level...

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Corrode posted:

Slaanesh got a major boost, FNP is great and Sonic Blasters are pretty cool for reducing the impact of Overwatch. Noise Marines might not be completely worthless!

Yeah, Slaanesh got enough of a boost with FNP that Noise Marines would still be good at 20 points.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Corrode posted:

Comparing the icon of Khorne to Tzeentch is loving hilarious. Bolt weapons get that lovely Soul Blaze rule, or Furious Charge + re-roll charge distance? Counter-attack and Berzerker (does he mean Rage or is this a 6th ed thing I've forgotten) vs. +1 Invuln.

Yeah he meant Rage. It's pretty much another edition of suck for Tzeentch; the stats and point costs of Rubric Marines are equally sad.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Mango Polo posted:

Yeah he meant Rage. It's pretty much another edition of suck for Tzeentch; the stats and point costs of Rubric Marines are equally sad.

At least Tzeentch Daemon Princes are going to be pretty darn good. Flying MC, with either a 4++ or 3++ depending on if princes get the new Iron Halo equivalent or if they stick with the old save. Rerolling 1s for all saves is a pretty significant defensive boost. Add in the chance to roll up an AP2 template and I'm wondering what the drawback is to this guy, especially if he remains under 200 points.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Mango Polo posted:

GW will eventually (eventually!) figure out that Marines with a 4++ save are still just Marines, and that AP3 is great but probably not worth the stupid high costs that they attach to it.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
"So battallion has 3 bikes, 5 possessed, 10 CSMs and a rhino if I see that correctly."

lmbo? what the gently caress is that poo poo.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Forwarded this to our Tau player, told him this is what all of his units should look like.

I've got a battle report from last night's 1000pt match, Relictors vs Dark Eldar!

Relictors were our newest player (newest to wargaming anyway but a big fan of the 40K universe), not very tactics-heavy but he wants to learn - helped by our Space Wolves player who hasn't played in a long time but is encouraged by the other 3 of us at work who are playing regularly. I played my DE with a Wych-heavy force supplemented by Kabalites on a Raider with Splinter Racks, I wanted to try broadsides for the first time and hoped to get my Wyches into CC for the first time (they're usually blown to poo poo before they reach anything).

The full batrep and more pictures are on the group's site http://hammertime40k.wordpress.com/2012/09/20/batrep-relictors-versus-dark-eldar/

Space Marine Relictors
1 squad of Assault Marines with Sanguinary Priest
Captain (Warlord)
2 squads of Devastators
In Reserve: 1 squad of Assault Marines with Sanguinary Priest

Dark Eldar
Archon (Warlord), on a Raider with the Incubi
8 Incubi with 1 Klaivex
2 x 9 Wyches on a Raider with Hekatrix
10 Kabalite Warriors on a Raider

4×6 table, green meadow board split widthwise by a winding river
We chose to do the standard Scouring mission with 6 objective points worth 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1 randomly placed
Random terrain density
Deployment randomly rolled on long edges (Dawn of War, I think)
Forgot to roll for Night Fighting!
Relictors won deployment roll and opted to go first

The Relictor battle force awaited orders as they nervously watched the warp-entrance of the sharp-faceted Dark Eldar Raiders. Although many kilometers away, the Raiders could move fast, and the Marine force was only on foot.

Captain Thorlos commanded his Devastator squads to dig in behind a ruined house as his lieutenants continued to peer into their locator screens for the ancient archaotech remnants he had been ordered to find. The forgotten pieces of tech were vital to securing this ball of rock, and he wasn’t about to go back to the fortress empty-handed…

DEPLOYMENT
Relictors deployed first:

The objectives on the Relictors side were: 3 points in the ruins to the far left, 4 points in the ruins in the middle, 1 point in the trees.

Dark Eldar deployed second:

The objectives on the Dark Eldar side were: 2 points in the large ruins at left, 3 points in the trees, 2 points next to the building to the right. Mandrakes deployed in the large red building, planning to assault the Assault Marines as soon as they could.

Those damned pale-skinned devils had outwitted the Marines. Aided by the blinding speed of the Raiders, the Dark Eldar warlord had gained the upper hand and were moving into position far faster than Captain Thorlos had anticipated. He shouted into the comm-link for another unit of Assault Marines: “Get another squad of marines down here NOW!! We can’t wait forever!”

Stolen Initiative! Wooop!

TURN 1 – DARK ELDAR

Raiders all move 18″ so can’t fire, the Mandrakes move out of cover and assault the Assault Marines. With only 3 models in the unit they don’t kill anything are are wiped out in the Relictor’s return assault.

TURN 1 – RELICTORS
The Devastators knock out the Raiders moving up the Dark Eldar right flank, killing a few Wyches. The Wyches pass their pinning and leadership tests! The Relictors take a victory point for First Blood!

The Assault Marines move and fire on the Archon’s Raider, then assault it with krak grenades.

The Raider is destroyed, and the Archon and Incubi must face the Assault Marines…or the other way around!

TURN 2 – DARK ELDAR

Luckily, the Archon is able to kill a few of the Assault Marines on his go, and the Incubi finish off the rest. They get a Pain Point for Feel No Pain!

The surviving Wyches on the right flank attempt to charge, but roll 3 1′s to charge through difficult terrain! The Wych Raider on the left flank moves and takes a shot at the Relictor warlord, but he makes his save. The Raider full of Kabalite Warriors continues moving up the middle and unloads on the 6-man squad of Devastators – a big mistake was made by accidentally doubling the number of attack rolls, but about 80% of the rolls were made so there would have been a few wounds anyway.

TURN 2 – RELICTORS

The Assault Marine successfully deep strike, right at the edge of the river!

The Devastators knock out most of the remaining Wyches on the Dark Eldar right flank.

The Devastators on the Relictor left flank immobilize the remaining Raider, forcing the Wyches to disembark next turn!

TURN 3 – DARK ELDAR
The Devastators are wiped out by the Kabalites, giving them a Pain Point. The Captain again dodges the Dark Lances!

The Wyches move out of cover while the Archon and Incubi move into it.

TURN 3 – RELICTORS

The Captain misses the Raider with his grenade, then the Assault Marines move up and assault the Kabalite Raider, which explodes, killing some of the Marines. The massive attack forces the Kabalite Warriors to run away!

TURN 4 – DARK ELDAR

The Wyches move forward and assault over difficult terrain, making the roll with ease. After killing a few of the Assault Marines, the Archon and his Incubi move in, killing a few more! The Devastators and Captain are unable to shoot into the combat.

TURN 4 – RELICTORS
The Captain moves in on the Kabalite Warriors, they succeed on their Leadership roll and take him down a Wound. Their Feel No Pain rolls save them from his 5 attacks and only 2 die.

TURN 5 – DARK ELDAR

The Archon and Incubi move in on their turn and kill the Priest, taking a victory point for Slay the Warlord.

TURN 5 – RELICTORS

The remaining Devastators are still holding their 3-point objective, but even after unloading 2 missiles and bolter, are unable to take out the Wyches holding the single -point objective!

THE GAME ENDS ON A ROLL OF 1!

With their captain dead, the remaining squad of Devastators cautiously retreat over the brow of a distant hill. The Archon nonchalantly wipes his boots on the cape of the dead captain and sheathes his huskblade as his Wyches congratulate themselves on their kills. The Klaivex and his surviving Incubi are reenacting the thrilling killing blows they performed on the lowly humans. Even the Kabalites next to him have taken off their helmets and are smiling to each other. All of his remaining troops are buzzing with fervor, after taking the lives of a good number of pesky Imperium marines.

As he pulls out a communicator to command a webway portal to appear for the return trip to the Dark City, he ponders his own future – perhaps these warriors will be the start of his own army to take him to further glory.

OBJECTIVE POINTS:
Relictors: 4 (3 points from objectives, 1 from First Blood)
Dark Eldar: 6 (4 points from objectives, 1 point from Slay the Warlord, 1 from Linebreaker)

Forgetting to roll for night fighting was minimal, since by the time the Relictors were shooting I was already up close. Very happy to steal the initiative, I don’t think it would have mattered in this case because there were no enemy vehicles to worry about. Pretty disappointed I miscounted the broadsides from the Kabalite Warriors (accidentally doubled the shooting rolls for at least one attack), but the final attack that wiped them out definitely was 20 shots (from Rapid Fire), re-rolling misses (from the Raider’s Splinter Rack option). Iron Halo on the Captain was rock-hard to get through with dark lances, so it’s funny that the first wound that he took was when he assaulted the wimpy Kabalite Warriors! But he went down quick in assault, but he had no one to back him up.

I think our Relictors player did really well tactically this game, no mistakes like we’ve seen before (trying to split fire or moving heavy weapons squads) – he’s comin’ up!

My Man of the Match: the Archon, what can anyone say against him? I’d like to try a 2-Archon battle force soon just to see how that goes.

e: forgot to add, more pictures and batreps and stuff on the group's site http://hammertime40k.wordpress.com/2012/09/20/batrep-relictors-versus-dark-eldar/

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 20, 2012

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

On one hand the painting is amazing and I love the idea. On the other hand, the wires in the modeling kill it for me. It may be the only way to do it, but I just can't get behind the huge wires everywhere whenever you want a floating thing. A personal annoyance certainly.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Great battlerep, krush. I've got a game tomorrow and if my friend remembers to bring his camera I may be able to add a batrep of my own in here. Then you can see just how awful I am at this game.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Nurgle Marines lose FNP to Slaanneshi ones? That is really... well it's as stupid as Slaanesh getting the most powerful spell in the last book.

So much for Death Guard being hard to kill zombie marines.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Nurgle Marines lose FNP to Slaanneshi ones? That is really... well it's as stupid as Slaanesh getting the most powerful spell in the last book.

So much for Death Guard being hard to kill zombie marines.

Plague Marines still have FNP. It makes sense that Slaaneshi units get FNP because they derive pleasure from all sensations, including pain. It all fits the fluff perfectly, imo.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So, just wondering. Have you guys actually received this month's issue of WD yet, or are those just early leaks? I am just asking since I haven't gotten my copy yet. (I got a subscription back in August, but they told me that my first issue would be this one.)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ultramega posted:

Great battlerep, krush. I've got a game tomorrow and if my friend remembers to bring his camera I may be able to add a batrep of my own in here. Then you can see just how awful I am at this game.

Please post it! Use a camera phone if you have to.

I'm not good at all really, the only wins I've had so far are against our Relictors player (the new-to-wargames player). I think anyone who plays against our Dark Angels guy will get whipped, he's very good at knowing the rules and tactics. He's the kind of player you want to try to engage in mind games with but it just won't work because he's that good he doesn't think in terms of 'mind games'. It's quite annoying.

And I know the Mandrakes were disappointing again, but I might try them again as a 5-man squad so they're stronger, and try using them properly, like occupying a shooty unit like Devastators so my Raiders can move up somewhat unhindered.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

krushgroove posted:

And I know the Mandrakes were disappointing again, but I might try them again as a 5-man squad so they're stronger, and try using them properly, like occupying a shooty unit like Devastators so my Raiders can move up somewhat unhindered.

I think you played them incorrectly, Infiltrating units cannot assault on the first turn. Mandrakes are pretty bad.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah. That does suck. Scratch the 5 Mandrake idea, then. This was the second time I tried them so still getting to know the rules. I guess I'll just have to wait to get my Eldar allies then, and use the Pathfinders.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

jadebullet posted:

So, just wondering. Have you guys actually received this month's issue of WD yet, or are those just early leaks? I am just asking since I haven't gotten my copy yet. (I got a subscription back in August, but they told me that my first issue would be this one.)

Early leaks. It's not officially out until Saturday.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Ghost Hand posted:

The fact the the resin is "bendy" is a good thing imho. It reduces breakage from brittle resin. I have had no problems achieving a straight line on Finecast models by running them under hot water and straightening them out. This is pretty common for resin all around.

All of that said, it is never a good idea to leave ANY resin model, let alone plastic model in a car in hot weather.

I think you're being a bit biased here, honestly. I've not bought much Finecast, and I haven't had many serious problems with it, but I have had to fill bubbles, straighten things, and worry about accidentally shearing the model while moving it on every single one. None have been "perfect". I also had to rebend one after it got too warm in my car. Do you know how many times I've opened the vastly larger quantities of plastic GW kits, or Mantic kits, or PP, and had to fill in bubbles, or straighten plastic? Never. I've never had a deformed plastic model, ever. Never had weird pockets in them.

I left a box of plastic something (Marines, maybe?) in the backseat of my car for like a year, in an area where it regularly hits 100 degrees in the summer and there was no loss of detail or weird bends or anything. I previously left my entire armies in foam in my trunk through the summer as well, and again, no rebending things because they had softened or anything like that. I understand that plastic kits can have issues where they don't line up properly, or are miscast, but the rate of failure on them is an order of magnitude different.

Finecast just isn't a solid product. It's neat, the level of detail is extraordinary, and the fact that it's light but not rigid makes for some cool spindly stuff....that is prone to breaking and bending. I don't enjoy having to take an hour to fix a model to the point where it looks close enough to how it's supposed to, but not really, and I dread painting something, then having it bendy itself and gently caress up the job. And I shouldn't have to.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Phyresis posted:

Plague Marines still have FNP. It makes sense that Slaaneshi units get FNP because they derive pleasure from all sensations, including pain. It all fits the fluff perfectly, imo.

Plague Marines will most likely be T5 I3 FNP and cost somewhere in the mid 20s each. Slaanesh marines will be T4 I5, and probably cost less than 20 points each, and have a standard that grants them FNP. With the addition of precision shots to the game, this is actually a reasonable level of risk and liability because every character is going to be gunning for that standard bearer.

If they change the rules so that the standard cannot be killed because another dude will just pick it up (ala fantasy) then lol welp

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

not lame! posted:

I don't know how reliable information about finecast is from a GW person, but according to my local GW, the original quality control guy for finecast got fired due to the shittiness of the first lot, and it's all better now. However, the mistrust is still there, so at my local GW when I buy a finecast I can open it and inspect the hell out of it before taking it away. Any problems and I can get a replacement which I can also scrutinize. I don't mean to sound like a total fanboy, as I've only got a dark eldar Archon in finecast, but I've had no problems with him.

If there was only one guy doing QA for the first run of Finecast then I think I have located the problem.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Mango Polo posted:

Early leaks. It's not officially out until Saturday.

Glad to hear it.

In other news, I still can't get over how pleasant it is to order things from The Warstore. I just decided that my wallet needed some abuse so I ordered two Stormravens from them and they were extremely pleasant and efficient.

That being said, $120 for two fliers, and another $40 for 2 conversion sets to make them not look weird still hurts.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

frest posted:

Plague Marines will most likely be T5 I3 FNP and cost somewhere in the mid 20s each. Slaanesh marines will be T4 I5, and probably cost less than 20 points each, and have a standard that grants them FNP. With the addition of precision shots to the game, this is actually a reasonable level of risk and liability because every character is going to be gunning for that standard bearer.

If they change the rules so that the standard cannot be killed because another dude will just pick it up (ala fantasy) then lol welp

http://natfka.blogspot.com/p/chaos-space-marines-compilation.html

There are quite a few conflicting rumors in that compilation so you kind of have to piece it together yourself (Natfka just reports all rumors that are sent to him or that he gleans off of Warseer) but at this point many of them have been verified.

According to this, Plague Marines are 24 points each and Noise Marines are 21 (you apparently have to buy at least a sonic blaster). It is unclear whether or not they can take Icons. "Marks range from 10-50 points, Icons range from 10-40 points." GW is historically good about pricing these so I'd say IoS would be the strongest contender for 40 points. I don't think it takes a great leap of logic in order to extrapolate that the Mark costs will be the same as the old Icon costs: MoN - 50 points, MoS 20 points. If my assumptions are correct, you can take 10 Chaos Space Marines (14 points each) with Icon and Mark of Slaanesh for 200 points before special weapons, the same cost as a Grey Knight.

The standard bearer will be able to be killed out of the unit. Maybe my Vindicare will see action after all. You can probably give it to the Champion for a LoSir save, at least.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 20, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
wrap it up, gwailures

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

wake me when the resolution is good enough for 28mm scale (ie, never)

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Phyresis posted:

wake me when the resolution is good enough for 28mm scale (ie, never)

Yeah they'll never get stuff down that smal...

http://www.visualnews.com/2012/03/13/fast-microscopic-3d-printing-is-here/

I know this isn't a realistic thing to buy, but seriously give this tech 10 years.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

That's not even remotely the same technology, the MakerBot sprays layers of corn plastic on top of each other in order to "sandwich" a model together. Improving the resolution at miniature scale starts to hit diminishing returns because of the method of construction. Everything looks grainy when you examine it closely.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Phyresis posted:

That's not even remotely the same technology, the MakerBot sprays layers of corn plastic on top of each other in order to "sandwich" a model together. Improving the resolution at miniature scale starts to hit diminishing returns because of the method of construction. Everything looks grainy when you examine it closely.

I printed my own Space Marine for only thousands of dollars! /spends 10 hours scraping print lines

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

I know, and not being super serious. Really though:

CyberLord XP posted:

...give this tech 10 years.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Are they printing with different colors yet? Not only print out some marines, print them out prepainted!

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

I'm sure the tech will be there, but whether or not consumer demand will be great enough to warrant producing affordable printers with that level of precision is questionable. I could be wrong and we might be printing groceries off of Amazon in a few years, though. The Diamond Age is my favorite sci-fi book, I'd be all up on this tech.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Anyone want to help me out with a measurement? What's the total length of the Kheres Assault Cannon for a Contemptor Dread?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Prints tea, Earl Grey, hot.

Phyresis, are you going to be available this Saturday to a) shoot the crap about the new WD and Chaos release and b) fight me on the field of nerd-battle?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Phyresis posted:

http://natfka.blogspot.com/p/chaos-space-marines-compilation.html

There are quite a few conflicting rumors in that compilation so you kind of have to piece it together yourself (Natfka just reports all rumors that are sent to him or that he gleans off of Warseer) but at this point many of them have been verified.

According to this, Plague Marines are 24 points each and Noise Marines are 21 (you apparently have to buy at least a sonic blaster). It is unclear whether or not they can take Icons. "Marks range from 10-50 points, Icons range from 10-40 points." GW is historically good about pricing these so I'd say IoS would be the strongest contender for 40 points. I don't think it takes a great leap of logic in order to extrapolate that the Mark costs will be the same as the old Icon costs: MoN - 50 points, MoS 20 points. If my assumptions are correct, you can take 10 Chaos Space Marines (14 points each) with Icon and Mark of Slaanesh for 200 points before special weapons, the same cost as a Grey Knight.

The standard bearer will be able to be killed out of the unit. Maybe my Vindicare will see action after all. You can probably give it to the Champion for a LoSir save, at least.

When it comes to conflicting rumors, I'll mostly go with whatever Tasty is saying, even though he's a dipshit.

Though the guy who had the Warp Talons etc. right also said the shooty daemon engines are 175 points / 200+ for the triple plasma variant instead of 120 :(

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

PierreTheMime posted:

Phyresis, are you going to be available this Saturday to a) shoot the crap about the new WD and Chaos release and b) fight me on the field of nerd-battle?

Yeah, I have a new list I want to try out, but I'm gonna have to proxy stuff again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I am upset about the 3d printers as i enjoy painting and selling minis. When everything gets up to speed no one will want to buy painted minis :(

• Locked thread