Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Samurai Sanders posted:

But usually sprite-based games are pasted into other sprite base games and vice versa, right? This appears to be sprites pasted into an otherwise not sprite based game.

Exactly. The visual disconnect is weird, especially since Atlus is great at visual consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

dude789 posted:

Every SMT game does this though. Nocturne used designs from the older games and SJ reused designs from Nocturne too.

Nocturne reused a ton of designs and also brought tons of new designs into the fold. Over the past ten years they've recycled ones from the mid-nineties and that was pretty ok because a lot of folks (particularly in NA) probably hadn't seen them before, but at this point they've pretty much tapped that well dry.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think people were hoping new numbered SMT game would equal revamped designs, rather than resprited and lightly animated versions of the same designs we've been seeing in game after game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Honestly it makes me think that SMT is now just another spinoff and Persona is the main line of Megaten now.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That might as well be true at this point.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's really sad, that. I like Persona and all, but I like mainline Megaten more.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Wow we're really snapping at whatever bit we get if we're getting worked up over some concept/promotional art.

For what it's worth, I rather like the monster designs. I assume the ones pictured are going to be significant demons, probably related to the plot, maybe boss monsters, who knows. The fact that they do look like artificial suits, a la Kamen Rider, makes me wonder if perhaps the Protoganist or other characters can bond with them or wear them or something to that extent.

It would be sweet if that's the substitute for Magatama--super powered demon suits that give you new resistances and weaknesses. Bonus points if they give them abilities outside of battle too.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Honestly, I'd be surprised if there was anything more than a slight amount of payoff in return for all the work that redesigning the demon roster would be. New sprites instead of old sprites being a selling feature only really works with the audience who've played the old games and I'm pretty sure most SMT fans with a 3DS don't need to be convinced that hard to want to pick the game up.

The 2D/3D thing might be jarring at first but I'm sure 3 hours in no one will give a gently caress.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

RentCavalier posted:

Wow we're really snapping at whatever bit we get if we're getting worked up over some concept/promotional art.

For what it's worth, I rather like the monster designs. I assume the ones pictured are going to be significant demons, probably related to the plot, maybe boss monsters, who knows. The fact that they do look like artificial suits, a la Kamen Rider, makes me wonder if perhaps the Protoganist or other characters can bond with them or wear them or something to that extent.

It would be sweet if that's the substitute for Magatama--super powered demon suits that give you new resistances and weaknesses. Bonus points if they give them abilities outside of battle too.

Maybe not specifically those, but it does look like your equipment changes your appearance, so it's entirely possible you'll find all sorts of neat costumes to wear.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Persona 5 better be worth it, then.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Blhue posted:

I think people were hoping new numbered SMT game would equal revamped designs, rather than resprited and lightly animated versions of the same designs we've been seeing in game after game.

You mean like how Nocturne reused a bunch of designs from the SNES era, just in 3D? Hm, yes, I can see how you might get that impression that they redid the designs for every game, after they completely failed to do that for any of the previous numbered games.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

You mean like how Nocturne reused a bunch of designs from the SNES era, just in 3D? Hm, yes, I can see how you might get that impression that they redid the designs for every game, after they completely failed to do that for any of the previous numbered games.

Pretty much this--they've revamped designs exactly once, when they brought out Devil Summoner for the Saturn, and that was almost 20 years ago. Aside from a handful of new demons everything that we've seen since then has pretty much been a DS design or a SMT 1/2/If design. Nothing to be surprised about to see it continue.

Same thing goes with a lot of the other aspects, like first-person battles with sprites; that's pretty standard for the series and always has been. I think the issue is a lot of people are basing their expectations off Nocturne since it's the only numbered SMT game to get a Western release--and Nocturne deviates from the standard SMT formula in a lot of ways so it's really an anomaly. It's an awesome anomaly to be sure, but not really the game to be basing your expectations off of for a future installment. Strange Journey would be a better yardstick when it comes to Western releases.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

King of Solomon posted:

If it means they completely rewrote her, then sure. Because jesus christ that one was annoying.

Can someone tell me what was so bad about her? You see her once a day and she doesn't even talk that much. It was the equivalent of the emails you got at night in the first game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Momomo posted:

Can someone tell me what was so bad about her? You see her once a day and she doesn't even talk that much. It was the equivalent of the emails you got at night in the first game.

Because every time she talked, rare as it was, was terrible. Her style of speech was godawful as a character that's supposed to be your guide or whatever. I selected her at first, saw the first sentence out of her mouth, thought "I want this character to be in my game as little as possible," and promptly restarted.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Momomo posted:

It's equivalent to the worse emails you got at night in the first game, and hey, those sucked too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The assistants in general felt like they were supposed to serve a bigger purpose but got cut down due to time restraints or something. There's really no reason for them to exist.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

King of Solomon posted:

It's equivalent to the worse emails you got at night in the first game, and hey, those sucked too.

I haven't played DeSu in a while, but I seem to remember those being impossible to read and making no sense. Am I off base?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They're not impossible to read, but it's ridiculously stupid that everyone is texting you cute messages IN THE MIDDLE OF A loving CITY LOCKDOWN.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'll admit to choosing the female Tico every time I played that game and not regretting it one bit. I guess I just have a superhuman tolerance for stupid typing quirks (incidentally, let me tell you about Homestuck :v:)

Also, favorite Tico bit: (paraphrased) "Also, Io got to talk to her mom! For a little while anyway, both parents dead now. That could have gone better :iamafag:"

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

MrAristocrates posted:

I haven't played DeSu in a while, but I seem to remember those being impossible to read and making no sense. Am I off base?

I wasn't talking about the garbled emails, I was talking about poo poo like Yuzu's nonsense typing style.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Morpheus posted:

Because every time she talked, rare as it was, was terrible. Her style of speech was godawful as a character that's supposed to be your guide or whatever. I selected her at first, saw the first sentence out of her mouth, thought "I want this character to be in my game as little as possible," and promptly restarted.

That seems like way too much, I never rlly found her that bad.

Also, everyone typing differently in the first game added character to them. If there was anything I was disappointed by in the sequel, it was the lack of emails.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Alacron posted:

I'll admit to choosing the female Tico every time I played that game and not regretting it one bit. I guess I just have a superhuman tolerance for stupid typing quirks (incidentally, let me tell you about Homestuck :v:)

Also, favorite Tico bit: (paraphrased) "Also, Io got to talk to her mom! For a little while anyway, both parents dead now. That could have gone better :iamafag:"

Yeah, i chose her for my second playthrough, and she actually kinda grew on me. She's actually kinda funny sometimes.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Europe's getting Persona 4 Golden next year.

quote:

North America gets Persona 4: Golden in November, but Europe will need to wait until 2013.

NIS America are going to be publishing the game in Europe, in collaboration with Index. Europeans can expect to see it in Spring 2013.

Meanwhile, North America will see Persona 4: Golden on November 20th.

Or I guess you could just buy the US version because I think the Vita isn't region locked?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Europe's getting Persona 4 Golden next year.

Or I guess you could just buy the US version because I think the Vita isn't region locked?

Spring isn't too bad (and, hey, it's a loving release date, remember those, Zen?) and, yes, if one so desires one could import it. Or wait to see what nicknaks N1 are gonna throw in to make it worth our time (see Tales of Graces)

Companies need that sword or we get into P4A / DeSu OC like situations.

Still, if N1 Europe could just do all of ATLUS' stuff from now on, that'd be swell. The whole P4A debacle has shown the need for that already.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 21, 2012

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

King of Solomon posted:

I wasn't talking about the garbled emails, I was talking about poo poo like Yuzu's nonsense typing style.

Oh, THAT. Yeah, those were terrible.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Well well, guess who's back? (might consider this spoilers if you wanna ignore SMT4 info)

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
^^^ Surprise, surprise! Haven't seen that jolly fellow in a while!

Louis Cypher, right?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pretty sure that's STEVEN from SMT2.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:neckbeard:

I just realized how much I missed that crazy motherfucker in the recent entries.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Oh man, i never thought i'd see STEVEN again. That's pretty rad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

For those of us who haven't played any pre-Nocturne games. Who is STEVEN?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Len posted:

Steven is the developer of the Demon Summoning Program that is used by the main characters in Shin Megami Tensei I and II.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

The guy who created the Demon Summoning Program.

Also Stephen Hawking.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
That is an unexpected cameo, but makes sense considering the SMTIV main uses the same arm-summoning computer gadget thing.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
:doh:

Guess I need to go back and give myself a refresher course on SMT 1 and 2 for the Super Nintendo!

So which path should I take on them?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

RadicalR posted:

Guess I need to go back and give myself a refresher course on SMT 1 and 2 for the Super Nintendo!

I always encourage Chaos.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RadicalR posted:

I tend to go Neutral, with a bit of a skew towards Chaos.

gently caress Law forever.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Slime posted:

Shhh... "they'll" hear you.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Slime posted:

I hear Neutral is painful. As in you gotta be careful what kinds of demons you get, what choices you gotta make, etc, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Slime posted:

Law might be horrible, but it has a kicking rad theme.