Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MongolArcher
Jan 2, 2009
Made coffee at work today, and when one of the guys found out I had made the pot that was brewing, he did the fistpump of triumph, and went to tell the other techs. The break room was full of techs and phlebotomists all waiting for the coffee I made - this was pretty sweet, these folks are serious about their coffee. :3:

My guy went to a ballroom dance lesson with me, so we could actually dance at our wedding. It was fun. And he wants to come back and learn more so we can look good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
Found out that the missus can give birth (in five weeks time holy poo poo) in the midwife led birthing unit, rather than the doctor led BU.

Which is good because the birthing pool is in MLBU - I've been told in no uncertain terms that I cannot show up in red bermuda shorts and a flotation device though :(

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
I am officially smitten with someone who is equally smitten with me. We're still in the whole cartoon hearts and fluffy bunnies phase but that's okay. I'm enjoying the ridiculousness of the entire thing. It really does feel awesome when you're greeted with a goofy grin and someone telling you that you always put a smile on their face, definitely has made my day :)

Esmerelda has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Aug 29, 2012

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My bay betta fry are growing! Seeing as I had no experience with such tiny fish, having any survive is insane.

Made cupcakes today and you can barely taste the cherry in the chocolate, which is great as I usually hate cherry.

And a bittersweet one, but found out that a friend who stopped speaking to me and effectively vanished is alive. I have no way to contact her, she won't take emails, calls, PMs, or any form of Facebook or IM, but I've found that she is in fact alive, not kidnapped, not in a hospital somewhere. She...just wants nothing to do with me period (old friends, some bad fights in the past, etc), but at least I know she's alive and well.

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!
My puppy is a rescue; the runt of a litter in an abusive household. He's never gone further than two or three houses down my street without being terrified and lying down, crying. Today, he made it almost all the way down the block! He even played with a neighbor's dog without getting overly weird.

Good boy, Omar!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I paid off my student loans today with some money I inherited from my mother's estate. I have no other debt to my name. Holy poo poo, I am free.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Quit my current job because I got a better one.

And this:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

My application for a student loan was accepted and in October I'm going to start a degree in astrophysics, a dream I've had since I was a little kid and told my teacher that when I grew up, I wanted to be Carl Sagan :3:

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
Bought an awesome leather jacket. It's a three day weekend. My cold is going away.

And today is the last of my little company's Friday barbeque lunches.

We're eating this:

And baked potatoes, grilled asparagus, brussel sprouts and cheesecake for dessert.

I like today.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.
This weekend:

Birthday
PAX
Duck football
Drinking
On a boat on Monday

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
^Those smileys are bopping along in perfect time to my music. :3:^

It's the start of a 3.5 day weekend, and I finally got a rug I did for a final project back from my astronomy professor. My friend made president for student gov. so we're celebrating with drinks and bad musicals. :3:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Got a letter from my bank saying that since they re-checked my credit score they've decided to lower my credit card interest rate. Also my 401(k) from my new job kicked in and now I have a whole $130 saved for retirement :cool:

Yay being a grownup.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I just found out all the iTunes movies I thought I lost in a hard drive crash are on my laptop. All I have to do is transfer them to my iPod, then to my new desktop and I'm set.

That's a lot of freaking movies to re-download or retrieve in some other fashion so having them on my laptop is less of a headache.

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them
I had a historical epiphany today while driving around, and boy is it a good one. I researched the hunch later on with some primary sources and other history-fu, and my hunch turned out to be correct. And utterly ignored by every scholar who has written about this area. In hindsight, it should have been obvious - this is a big-E Epiphany for sure. (Not that it's a failure of my colleagues; most of history's changes are like this, and most of history evolves because of how a particular scholar is wired, or how their process leads to discovery.)

I love it when research and the field intersect. Because I have independent funding and an employer that allows me to spend a lot of time in the field in exchange for a pitifully low or usually nonexistent paycheck, I spend more time in the areas I research than most academic historians. Having the occasional epiphany as a direct result of being in the landscape is a sign I'm doing it right.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Apparently while my girlfriend's brother was back home in Asia, he bought me a katana :buddy: I'm finally a real goon, I think.

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

My girlfriend woke up early and made me breakfast tacos this morning.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

My girlfriend has been seeing a lot of horses on her rounds (she's a courier) and has been telling me for weeks that she wants to own one, or at least go on a horse ride.

Today I surprised her with a gift voucher for a horse riding trail through the mountains, with a picnic by the river included. :3:

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Found a lump on my testicle a couple weeks ago before leaving on vacation. Got the ultrasound results today and it's just a water sac. That's a huge load off my mind.

Check your balls, dudes.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've had restaurant lunch bought for me for the 3rd day in a row by people who want to sell stuff to the company I work for. I feel important. But I don't think we're going to buy their product.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Had a job interview yesterday for a part-time but permanent role at one place, and I have another for a full-time, but temp position at another tomorrow. Kinda torn as to which I should take, but all that can wait, since I'm too busy drowning in compliments about how sextacular I look in a suit. Yeah, shallow as hell, but gently caress it, I'm enjoying myself, damnit.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I got the job!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
One of my friends who was abused as a child and has trouble opening up said she's really comfortable talking to me about pretty much anything. It made me feel good that my friends trust me and are able to open up to me.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Two more days until I get to see my girlfriend again :)

edit: and my DVDs shipped on Amazon!

Coffee And Pie has a new favorite as of 02:27 on Sep 13, 2012

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In two hours I will learn if I won the auction on some awesome but tiny fish. They aren't the best quality looking fish BUT the defects are not genetic so if they survive and breed, the fry will be fine.

I am done with most of my Xmas shopping.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
I took my new rescue kitten to the vet for the first time today. He's healthy, a little over a pound and he doesn't have feline leukemia!! :3: Megatron is as badass and awesome as kittens come.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

AltoidsAddict posted:

I had a historical epiphany today while driving around, and boy is it a good one. I researched the hunch later on with some primary sources and other history-fu, and my hunch turned out to be correct. And utterly ignored by every scholar who has written about this area. In hindsight, it should have been obvious - this is a big-E Epiphany for sure. (Not that it's a failure of my colleagues; most of history's changes are like this, and most of history evolves because of how a particular scholar is wired, or how their process leads to discovery.)

I love it when research and the field intersect. Because I have independent funding and an employer that allows me to spend a lot of time in the field in exchange for a pitifully low or usually nonexistent paycheck, I spend more time in the areas I research than most academic historians. Having the occasional epiphany as a direct result of being in the landscape is a sign I'm doing it right.

I reeeeeeaaaaalllllyyy want to know what your Epiphany is, but would settle for the general historic period/geographic region you're researching.

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

I used to be a long distance runner, I have run everything from 5k's to a full marathon. I haven't run in 2 years, last night i got high and drunk and ran 9 miles in combat boots. Have you ever seen a dog that got loose, just charging down the street with a big smile on his face? That was me. I felt free, I felt healthy, I felt young, all was right with the world and I was a part of it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Someone is bidding on ad space on my website! And it's only been up one day. Yesss, precious cents!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
This is probably a little assholish, but I had to explain to an old friend of mine what goatse was- she'd never seen it before. Somehow, we're still friends. :3:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Today at work, me and my boss had one of our conversations in which we decided the following:

1) Her uterus has eyes.

2) The eyes have x-ray vision.

3) Her uterus also talks.

4) It sounds like a sassy ghetto girl.

5) If she gets pregnant one day, her uterus will provide commentary throughout the entire pregnancy.

So I'd have to say my day was awesome because I have the best co-workers at both my jobs.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Today's my birthday. Later this week, things I got from Amazon and the Top Shelf annual sale will arrive at my apartment.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I saw a baby betta fish swimming around the loach tank! The other fry from another spawn look to be surviving despite me loving up so much too.

My mom found these really pretty rose-shaped nail polish bottles for $1 each. Time to get some more for Xmas gifts, they are really pretty!

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
My back feels amazing today after feeling not so amazing yesterday during my belly dancing class. I am a horrible dancer but I might keep doing it if I can feel this good after.

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them

loving bro hug posted:

I reeeeeeaaaaalllllyyy want to know what your Epiphany is, but would settle for the general historic period/geographic region you're researching.

Well, the epiphany is about why northwestern Colorado (principally, Routt and Jackson counties) has radically different patterns of settlement than every other area of Colorado. The literature I've read chalks it up to the lack of profitable mining or attractive natural resources as the primary reason, but I believe the explanation is more borrowed from observing settlements around the Estes Park and surrounding area. The country up here really isn't as harsh as my sources make it out to be. Abundant timber, great place to raise hardy cattle on forage, great haying country - so where the hell are all the ghost towns? Why did US settlement in this area lag behind by decades?

I believe the X factor lies in the differing behaviors of the Mountain Ute and Bannock tribes in the northeastern part of the Colorado Plateau and in western Wyoming. The northeastern bands' approach to international politics in this specific portion of their territory, particularly the borders, resisted permanent expansion but welcomed trappers and traders. These trappers and traders were allies more of these northeastern Utes and southern Bannock than the United States, not just because of intermarriage, but because it was profitable to all involved to keep a nomadic approach to stewardship of the valley. Interestingly, development in the area still has that same sense, and the locals I've talked to are quite proud of both the remaining historic structures and of the way "real" ranchers don't try to build everything up.

There's a lot more to it than that, obviously; but I tend to think of Native American tribal relations in a purely international relations context, which I think allows me to easily separate the minute regional differences among tribes. Most literature about the Mountain Utes focuses on simplifications of the Meeker Massacre, or the Utes in the southwest.

------------

I have a really awesome reason for posting in this thread: I have a new dog! She was sitting in the middle of the highway yesterday causing a heck of a traffic jam, dehydrated, exhausted, and very probably pregnant. I took her, promising to either find her owners or adopt her. As luck would have it, her owners didn't care about keeping her since they can't seem to sell her 3-month-old puppies ("Eh, she'll get hit by a car sooner or later."), and they gave her to me.

She's at the vet right now getting shots, treatment for the monster UTI she undoubtedly has, heartworm test, and the whole works. She's getting a gravid spay this week if she's healthy enough. She's a chihuahua/corgi mix and may be the only creature who enjoys riding in my truck more than I do. I named her Mesa.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

AltoidsAddict posted:

Colorado history stuff

As a fellow historian this post makes me giddy as hell. Great job, I hope it all works out!

My reason for posting in this thread is I've finally found a lady I am completely smitten with and she is smitten with me (to steal a phrase from an earlier goon). Most of my relationships have either been convenient or somewhat self-destructive, so I basically cannot wait to wake up in the morning simply to see what a new day brings to this fantastic turn of events.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I got some stuff in the mail I forgot I ordered! A Tsunami Bomb shirt and patch, cargo shorts, a book about rats and a little animal keychain as a bonus that I gave to my stepson. :3: My birthday is not far from now so it's like a surprise gift to myself! :toot:

MongolArcher
Jan 2, 2009
Today is my best day ever - we got the financing to buy the house!!

I'm over 40 and this is my first home that I've owned. I'm terrified and excited all at the same time. My own house. Eeeeee! :3:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Esmerelda posted:

My back feels amazing today after feeling not so amazing yesterday during my belly dancing class. I am a horrible dancer but I might keep doing it if I can feel this good after.

Oh please don't sell yourself short you were great in Hunchback.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

MindlessHavok posted:

Oh please don't sell yourself short you were great in Hunchback.
:rimshot:

Closed my Chase account yesterday and ended up with $100 I didn't remember having in there. Ate fish & chips with my best friend last night and then he bought me a big piece of fancy candy.

This morning a vendor brought us in huge doughnuts, I nabbed the only chocolate one. I went out for lunch with the guy I'm dating, something I really should do more often, and came back to work in time for chocolate zucchini cake. And then I found out that I won a large portion of a huge bid I did a few months ago.

So, poor food choices aside, I've had a pretty good few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
My boyfriend and I have a mutual friend who works at a big movie theatre, and after hours he hooked up a Bluray player to one of the projectors and the three of us watched Jurassic Park on the big screen :black101: