Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

dino. posted:

They're really tasty with maple syrup, jam, marmalade, or peanut butter. I'd go for peanut butter, because you don't need to refrigerate it. If you want them more savoury, cut back on the sugar to a couple of pinches, and bump up the salt to like 1/2 tsp. Then, serve with hummus, or salsa, or whatever else you like in the mornings. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have flax seed, but if they don't have it in town they will have it in the next town over. I am trying to increase my number of simple recipes that use nonspoiling ingredients. Next step is to put together a portable pantry of dry goods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
In the equipment thread everyone is talking about knife sharpening.

I'm fine getting a whetstone and learning (practicing on my not-expensive knives first) but can someone recommend a guide online / book?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NboSIlg5w6w

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Summer is ending, and I want to start making some soup so that by the time winter hits, I'm good at it. I'd like to start with a tomato soup, what's a good recipe? Factors:
- I'd like to use real tomatoes instead of canned stuff.
- I have a crock-pot/slow cooker and a dutch oven.
- I don't have a food processor or an immersion blender.
- It would be to feed 2, but I'm a fan of having leftovers for the next day and to freeze the rest to have in a week or two.

I'm sure I can throw some tomatoes in the crock pot and let that poo poo figure itself out, but if I can come out with something that's actually tasty, that'd be even better!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Alfajor posted:

Summer is ending, and I want to start making some soup so that by the time winter hits, I'm good at it. I'd like to start with a tomato soup, what's a good recipe? Factors:
- I'd like to use real tomatoes instead of canned stuff.
- I have a crock-pot/slow cooker and a dutch oven.
- I don't have a food processor or an immersion blender.
- It would be to feed 2, but I'm a fan of having leftovers for the next day and to freeze the rest to have in a week or two.

I'm sure I can throw some tomatoes in the crock pot and let that poo poo figure itself out, but if I can come out with something that's actually tasty, that'd be even better!

I'll check and see if I have some good recipes when I get home, but one piece of advice: Canned tomatoes are fine for any cooked application. You can't buy good fresh tomatoes in any store, so don't bother with that. Canned tomatoes are usually of a consistent taste, texture and quality. If you get them from a local farm or grow them yourself, by all means, go with fresh, otherwise canned are very good.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I was going to get them from the local food co-op :) But you make a fair point, and since I'm just starting, I should settle for canned and not waste precious $ on fancy ingredients when my soup is destined to not be awesome just yet.

Duece Ex Machina
Aug 6, 2008
I'm in the process of making a huge pot of marinara sauce...is there any difference as far as freezing it is concerned between tupperware and freezer bags? Freezer space isn't really an issue.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Duece Ex Machina posted:

I'm in the process of making a huge pot of marinara sauce...is there any difference as far as freezing it is concerned between tupperware and freezer bags? Freezer space isn't really an issue.

I've used bags when I ran out of tupperware or had like one serving extra that I didn't want to waste a whole container on. Never noticed a difference.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

So I went to the asian grocery and bought a vegetable called "okbo", any idea what it is? Google is being rather useless on this subject. Near as I can tell, the store is run by Koreans or just sells a lot of Korean stuff. It's a bright green, smooth skinned vegetable about 1 foot long, ~2lbs (1kg). It seems hollow or spongy to some extent. It's thin in the middle near the top, bigger at the bottom, and has a stem. There's no smell that jumps out at me. I don't really have a camera to take pictures with, so I've just got the name.

Worst case scenario I'm just going to roast some until it looks kinda done and hope I don't poison myself!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is it labeled in Korean? Transliterating okbo to Korean gives me nothing but god only knows if they used the correct system or not.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Duece Ex Machina posted:

I always freeze my sauces in ziploc freezer bags because they freeze flat. I spread them out all over the freezer to freeze quickly and then stack them once they're frozen.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Is it labeled in Korean? Transliterating okbo to Korean gives me nothing but god only knows if they used the correct system or not.

Nope, it was just in plain 'ol english lettering. It might not even be Korean, I was saying that because I had a suspicion it could have been, but it could really be any other asian culture's vegetable.

Edit: And they spelled lettuce "lettus", so maybe they messed up the name of my weird vegetable, too.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Alfajor posted:

I was going to get them from the local food co-op :) But you make a fair point, and since I'm just starting, I should settle for canned and not waste precious $ on fancy ingredients when my soup is destined to not be awesome just yet.

You may want to add some sliced onion, finely diced celery and a bay leaf. Heat up some butter and throw in the onion and celery. Sprinkle some salt and pepper over the top. Cook till all sweaty and translucent then throw some minced garlic on top. Give it a stir and let the garlic heat a bit. Tip in a few cans of stewed tomatoes, stir, add a little extra water to give your proto soup some more liquid and throw in the bay leaf. Bring to a boil and turn down to a low simmer and let sit for an hour or so.

Pull the bay leaf and give the whole mess a squirt of Worcestershire sauce. Stir some more and see if it astes good. If it seems bland go ahead and add more salt. Now, hit it with a stick blender and purée till smooth. Serve with crusty bread that has plenty of butter and do a happy dance.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Eeyo posted:

So I went to the asian grocery and bought a vegetable called "okbo", any idea what it is? Google is being rather useless on this subject. Near as I can tell, the store is run by Koreans or just sells a lot of Korean stuff. It's a bright green, smooth skinned vegetable about 1 foot long, ~2lbs (1kg). It seems hollow or spongy to some extent. It's thin in the middle near the top, bigger at the bottom, and has a stem. There's no smell that jumps out at me. I don't really have a camera to take pictures with, so I've just got the name.

Worst case scenario I'm just going to roast some until it looks kinda done and hope I don't poison myself!

Is it a squash? http://www.theproduceguide.com/doitem.php?pnum=419

(I just know the green Korean squashes often come with the stem attached.)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Eeyo posted:

Edit: And they spelled lettuce "lettus", so maybe they messed up the name of my weird vegetable, too.

Can you take a picture of this vegetable?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ok here's a really tiny picture with my webcam since that's all I got:

I was thinking squash, but I've never seen one so green. It's kind of like granny smith green.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

CombatCupcake posted:

This is in an old movie from 1970, it takes place in Portugal or Spain. We've been trying to figure out what it is they're eating.
They are drinking hot chocolate in the coffee cups, and supposedly milk in the glasses. But we cannot figure out what those blocky white things are! They each grab one, so they are firm enough to grab (as opposed to say cotton candy). Then they each dunk it in the milk, leaving it in the glass, even stirring the 'milk' with it. But we don't see them actually eat it.
The brown log things are some biscuit or something they do eat, not concerned so much with those. Guessing some cinnamon biscuit sort of thing, but if you knew that too, also appreciated.

Any ideas???

They look like "espiritas", or meringues.

E: horribly, horribly beaten. This thread has way more pages than I thought it did :facepalm:

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 21, 2012

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Eeyo posted:

I was thinking squash, but I've never seen one so green. It's kind of like granny smith green.

It looks like either a winter melon variety, called "bi dao" in Vietnamese or a similar sort of squash like the opa squash. It won't taste like much, it has a very mild bitterness, though more bitter if older. It cooks up to have a very soft, tender texture, kind of like cooked cucumber, so not as fleshy or with some bite like other squashes can have (so not sure that roasting would work too well but I've never tried). It can also be used in stir fries.

A simple Vietnamese soup is to stir fry a bit of shallot or onion and garlic, add a bit of ground shrimp or dried shrimp, then season with salt and fish sauce. Add water, bring to a simmer, then add the sliced melon and cook until they turn translucent. Adjust seasoning. Right before serving add some chopped green onion and cilantro and black pepper and eat over rice. For meals, soups like this that don't have a ton of flavor will be served alongside some sort of dish that is mainly meat that has more bold flavors and seasoning.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Eeyo posted:

Looks like a veg my mom cooks with a lot in soups like Nilaga or Tinola (both Filipino). We call it "upo". Chunk it up and throw into a stew/soup.

edit: yeah what mich said.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Literally just had Chinese style hot pot, which included winter melon. So yeah, toss it into boiling broth and then eat a while later.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So I had some red beans and rice simmering the other day and I fell asleep and it burnt the hell out of the bottom of the pot and the rest got kind of dry... any idea how I could fix this? I was using beer and broth for the liquid

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Eeyo posted:

That looks like what we call Lauki in Hindi, or sorakkai in Tamil. We boil it with a mix of either fresh grated coconut or coconut milk, water, chopped shallots, grated ginger, fenugreek seeds, a bit of turmeric for colour, and a tarka of mustard seeds and cumin seeds. You can also add any leftover cooked potatoes, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, or broccoli to it when it's done cooking. Season with red chile powder and salt to taste and serve with rice. Yes, the skin is edible. Yes, the seeds are also edible. It's also very frequently added to daal. You can also make a subzi out of it by popping cumin seed, fennel seed, coriander seed, and sesame seed in a bit of hot fat, add some onion and garlic, fry the onion and garlic until tender, then add the chopped lauki. Stir-fry until it's tender. Salt and red chile to taste. Treat it like you would a courgette.

It's got a very clean taste, and it's very healthy. It's also really easy to prepare, because you don't have to peel or seed it.

EDIT: Looks like Mich and Gravi beat me to it. This is what happens when you fall asleep with the tab open, and answer the next day. :gonk:

dino. fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 21, 2012

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
(mostly) BREAD QUESTIONS!
I quite recently bought a Kenwood mixer, the km020, and I'm very pleased with it. But it has given rise to a few questions:

- When I'm using it to 'knead' dough, after a few minutes on maximum the entire dough just sticks to the hook in a big ball, leaving just tangs to be slapped against the sides of the bowl by centrifugal force. Is this really how it's supposed to work? Or am I doing something wrong? It seems weird that this would help much to develop gluten, since I can't imagine there's much movement/friction within the dough...

- Relatedly, one time I had a dough in the machine for 10 minutes on maximum, let it stand for 15 minutes, and I still wasn't able to stretch it very far before I made holes. Of course, the dough was about 75% regular wheat flour and 25% graham flour. Could the wholegrain be the reason?

- Last thing for dough: I really want to start baking with spelt, emmer, etc, but I heard you have to be careful how much you knead some types of grain, whereas others take an eternity to make a coherent dough. Is there a way (other than trial and error) to find out how long you should knead?

- Not dough-related, but I'm slightly frustrated that when I use it to whisk egg yolks with sugar, there is a thinnish layer on the bottom that isn't mixed in at all, and stays down there as a crunchy, yellow mass. I've tried to adjust the length of the whisk, but it being so irregular in shape, and with the planetary orbit, it's hard to get it right. Should I go back to hand-whisking this, or are there any tricks to make the machine grab everything?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Just a heads up for any Chicago people, but Northwestern Cutlery on 810 W. Lake have 20% off all their knives. I picked up a ten inch Shun Premier Chef Knife for $160 from there a couple of days ago, having been in an enthused mood from a three hour lunch at the Purple Pig and picking up a marriage license. A big knife seemed appropriate.

And here's the quick question. Can anyone recommend a place in the area of Bolingbrook and Naperville where I could pick up pork that still has the skin on, or game (especially quail and pigeon). Actually, any general cooking supply store (outside the chains) or restaurant recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
So I can cook well enough to impress my friends and family, both of which who are actually foodies when they want to be, but I want to be better. Are there any courses I can take that are maybe a day long over a weekend that will really hammer in better knifework, tips and techniques, really just stuff that I probably haven't found out on my own or from lightly reading up/watching shows?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Cavenagh posted:

Just a heads up for any Chicago people, but Northwestern Cutlery on 810 W. Lake have 20% off all their knives. I picked up a ten inch Shun Premier Chef Knife for $160 from there a couple of days ago, having been in an enthused mood from a three hour lunch at the Purple Pig and picking up a marriage license. A big knife seemed appropriate.

And here's the quick question. Can anyone recommend a place in the area of Bolingbrook and Naperville where I could pick up pork that still has the skin on, or game (especially quail and pigeon). Actually, any general cooking supply store (outside the chains) or restaurant recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

If you're in Chicago you can go by Peoria Packing. They definitely have skin-on pork... or just pork skin... or pig heads if that's what you're into.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/peoria-packing-butcher-shop-chicago

Was kinda weirded out when I saw the nipples on a slab of belly!

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Saint Darwin posted:

So I can cook well enough to impress my friends and family, both of which who are actually foodies when they want to be, but I want to be better. Are there any courses I can take that are maybe a day long over a weekend that will really hammer in better knifework, tips and techniques, really just stuff that I probably haven't found out on my own or from lightly reading up/watching shows?

In my city, the local community college that has a culinary arts program offers continuing ed classes like these nights and weekends for about $30/class. Our co-op offers cooking, wine making, home brewing, etc. It all really depends on where you live, but check out your grocery store, co-ops, community colleges, culinary stores, and community centers.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I wanted to make a fig-gorgonzola pizza tonight, but not sure if I can find fresh figs. Anyone see a problem with using dried figs for this? I assume the flavor will be a bit more concentrated and i might need to use less of them? Thoughts or suggestions?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I've only ever eaten duck once, and never cooked with it. The farm behind me raises them, and apparently had extras (or are just extra nice), because they sent their tiny kid over with several ducks ready for cooking.

They're whole, of course, and giant. Any tips for cooking them or recipe recommendations?

Also, they sent him over at 6:45am. I love having so many great farms around, but hate their schedule!

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

EVG posted:

If you're in Chicago you can go by Peoria Packing. They definitely have skin-on pork... or just pork skin... or pig heads if that's what you're into.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/peoria-packing-butcher-shop-chicago

Was kinda weirded out when I saw the nipples on a slab of belly!

Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out next time I'm in town.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Does anyone have a reasonably good recipe for chili that isn't spicy? I know that that's probably blasphemy, but I'm a complete wimp who can barely handle spice.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Just make a beef stew instead of trying to make something into something completely different. Or replace most/all the jalapenos in a typical recipe with poblanos and anaheims.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Does anyone have a reasonably good recipe for chili that isn't spicy? I know that that's probably blasphemy, but I'm a complete wimp who can barely handle spice.

This is the rough recipe I use (minus the chillies):

500g stewing steak
800g pork ribs
3 tins of tomatoes
3 onions
3 tins of beans (I like one of each of kidney beans, black eyed beans and pinto beans)
Lots of garlic
Lots of cumin

Brown the meat in small batches
Deglaze the pan with the chopped onions and fry for a few minutes
Chuck in the garlic and cumin and fry for a few minutes
Chuck in the meat
Chuck in the tomatoes
Stew for a few days
Remove the pork bones
Add the beans

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I don't cook with chilis or hot peppers often and as result I neglected to wear latex gloves tonight while chopping jalapenos. Anybody have a good tip to get rid of the burning sensation now on my hands?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

lifts cats over head posted:

I don't cook with chilis or hot peppers often and as result I neglected to wear latex gloves tonight while chopping jalapenos. Anybody have a good tip to get rid of the burning sensation now on my hands?

Rinse your hands with alcohol, vegetable oil or milk. Water won't do a thing.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I just bought a rice cooker. If I want to make something other than plain rear end white rice, what can I do to fancy the rice up while it cooks? Can I juts make like, a sauce and pour in there while it cooks or something?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Capsaicin posted:

I just bought a rice cooker. If I want to make something other than plain rear end white rice, what can I do to fancy the rice up while it cooks? Can I juts make like, a sauce and pour in there while it cooks or something?

A quick way is to replace water with something else.

For example, when I was a poor boy from a poor family (da da da), I would put instant tomato soup in the water, toss in some veggies, pepper flakes, and chopped sausage, and let it all go.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Capsaicin posted:

I made this recipe for mexican rice

http://www.food.com/recipe/rice-cooker-mexican-rice-159900

And it was soo good. I also followed directions for Indian-style rice from a post in this very thread:

GrAviTy84 posted:

I usually add some cumin, a pod of cardamom, 1 or 2 cloves, coriander seed, and a bay leaf with a chunk of butter to a rice cooker with the appropriate amount of water and it comes out just right.

that was super good as well.

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby
So, I opened a can of coconut milk that my aunt bought at least a year before, and for some reason it had yogurt like consistency and tasted spicy. Now I don't really know what coconut milk is supposed to taste like, and I don't think canned food ever goes bad, so I thought to ask you goons, is that still edible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Adrastus posted:

So, I opened a can of coconut milk that my aunt bought at least a year before, and for some reason it had yogurt like consistency and tasted spicy. Now I don't really know what coconut milk is supposed to taste like, and I don't think canned food ever goes bad, so I thought to ask you goons, is that still edible?

The fat coagulates at the top into a thick pasty layer, so that's normal at least. I haven't tasted coconut milk before it goes into the dish, so I won't comment on the spiciness.