Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Duckman2008 posted:

Dude, this week has been hell with the launch.

Iphone 4 is discontinued in store, but stores should still be able to order it. Sprint is concerned (probably correctly) About fraud issues.

I talked to a bunch of people. Most stores are getting a total of 3 iphone 5s for launch day. It isn't pretty. My store got lucky and got 4 plus 2 32GBs.

What fraud issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Oh snap, that's not good for the stores.

I remember the 4S launch and Sprint.com was saying the 32 and 64 GB phones were available even past launch day. This time around they've been out for at least several days.

I would also like to add my AAPL stock at 545 is looking good. The shares I bought at 300 are insane. Bet against Apple at your own risk. If you are looking to make a few bucks wait for the inevitable predictions of doom ahead of the next earnings announcement when AAPL drops by 50 for no reason then swim in champagne when the earnings report is released.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="407730998"]
What fraud issues?

Ok, actually two issues: fraud and churn.

Fraud: via a myriad of methods someone gets a free 4 out the door and then just sells it.

Churn: very simple, people who otherwise can't afford an iPhone now get one and never pay a bill. Honestly this is the bigger issue.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Duckman2008 posted:

Churn: very simple, people who otherwise can't afford an iPhone now get one and never pay a bill. Honestly this is the bigger issue.
Isn't this the reason why people with bad credit have to pay a $150 security deposit to sign up for a new account?

Dr. Bones
Nov 4, 2005

Private First Class in Blankman's Boot Camp of Goonery

This sucks. I love Sprint, and they've been good to me over the years, but at this point I'm kinda up poo poo creek.

In the area that I live now, Sprint doesn't have 4G (apparently they screwed up implementing it from the outset, even though the much smaller town I came from had it before most major cities/markets), which is by and large fine because I'm never too far from WiFi (and what I need mobile internet for is fairly limited).

But I'm on an ISM plan, and my original Evo4G is having some serious issues. Namely, it overheats constantly, which forces into reboot loops, which often leave it completely unusable unless I chuck it in the freezer for a few minutes to cool everything down. Partly because of this and partly because the phone's a few years old, I'm only getting about 2.5 hours of battery life out of it if I use it at all.

I'm looking to upgrade, since it would be $100 to get my phone replaced under TEP, and that'd be at least a week without a phone, with no guarantee that the replacement I get has the issue fixed. But I don't want to drop $600+ dollars on a phone without knowing more about it, and I'm terrified to talk to Sprint employees because they might question my ISM plan.

Any thoughts? A friend of mine has a GS3 that I've played with, and they seem pretty solid (and can be gotten on the cheap off of eBay). But I'm not really prepared to go full-tilt into something (especially with that kind of up-front cash investment) only to have it turn out to be an utter piece of poo poo in six months.

Also, I refuse to use any Apple products. Bad experiences.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Since you have an original Evo 4G, then I assume you are probably eligible for an upgrade. Why not use that, and order a new SGS3 from Sprint.com for significantly less than $600? And yes, by all accounts it's a very nice phone.

What's an ISM plan, anyway?

Dr. Bones
Nov 4, 2005

td4guy posted:

Since you have an original Evo 4G, then I assume you are probably eligible for an upgrade. Why not use that, and order a new SGS3 from Sprint.com for significantly less than $600? And yes, by all accounts it's a very nice phone.

What's an ISM plan, anyway?

My plan actually prevents me from getting subsidized upgrades. My plan is an Indirect Sales Maker Plan, so I'm getting a massive discount (and retaining unlimited data), but it's not technically a contract. It exists so long as I keep paying on it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

td4guy posted:

Isn't this the reason why people with bad credit have to pay a $150 security deposit to sign up for a new account?

Sprint can always change its deposits, but you have to have really,really lovely credit to have a larger than $50 deposit. Seriously, I pretty much never see it.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Who do you think taught him to jump like that?
So for anyone else who got a Galaxy S3, does the screen seem to scratch easily? I've gotten two big scratches on it, and it spends 99% of its time in my pocket or on my desk at work or home. I do not carry other things in that pocket.

For comparison, my Evo 4G and Evo 3D were under the same conditions, and never had any scratches.

The back battery cover also feels really flimsy.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Hoppy posted:

So for anyone else who got a Galaxy S3, does the screen seem to scratch easily? I've gotten two big scratches on it, and it spends 99% of its time in my pocket or on my desk at work or home. I do not carry other things in that pocket.

For comparison, my Evo 4G and Evo 3D were under the same conditions, and never had any scratches.

Do your pants have metal things outside your pockets? I thought the S3 was supposed to have a really scratch proof screen based on the videos I've seen.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hoppy posted:

So for anyone else who got a Galaxy S3, does the screen seem to scratch easily?
Hasn't been an issue. It's actually a fair bit better than my old Epic was in that regard.

Hoppy posted:

It is when removed from the device, but feels solid enough when it's on. I'd still put a TPU case on though since it's a slippery bar of soap otherwise.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="407744640"]
Do your pants have metal things outside your pockets? I thought the S3 was supposed to have a really scratch proof screen based on the videos I've seen.

My jeans do. But when I pull it out it doesn't go near them. I just did it several times, while standing, sitting, laying down, etc.

I'm debating selling/trading this phone before it becomes worse. It just seems to be built cheaply. The problem is I have nothing I would really want to trade it for. I used my upgrade to get it. I know I could probably trade it for a Galaxy Nexus, but I wasn't really thrilled with the build quality on that either.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Why would you not use a screen protector on an expensive smartphone?

:smith:

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

moolchaba posted:

Why would you not use a screen protector on an expensive smartphone?

:smith:

Because it makes the screen feel weird, and they get nasty eventually.
Lousy reasons, I know. My iPhone 3G, Evo, and Evo3d never needed one. The only issue one of them ever had was when my Evo fell on concrete and the screen shattered.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How early can I get an upgrade on my Sprint account? I'm 19 months into my contract, but my Evo 4g is starting to piss me off, and I'm wondering how soon before I can get some new hotness.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

FISHMANPET posted:

How early can I get an upgrade on my Sprint account? I'm 19 months into my contract, but my Evo 4g is starting to piss me off, and I'm wondering how soon before I can get some new hotness.

IIRC upgrade eligibility kicks in after 22 months. And if you're really desperate for a new phone, I'm pretty sure you can pay a prorated fee to buy out the remainder of the contract and upgrade early.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

FISHMANPET posted:

Your next upgrade should be at 22 months, so three more to go. Your upgrade after that will come at 20 months because Sprint changed upgrade eligibility for new contracts last year.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I should probably just bring my phone into a Sprint store, but some of my problems are really hard to replicate.

Often times the phone will register phantom presses, and some time phantom holding down on the screen.

That and the fact that no matter what I do I'm always running out of space for apps and I'm just basically over it.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chizad posted:

IIRC upgrade eligibility kicks in after 22 months. And if you're really desperate for a new phone, I'm pretty sure you can pay a prorated fee to buy out the remainder of the contract and upgrade early.

I wish I could kick them like $15 to let me skip the next 10 days.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The old EVO 4G has some of the most and best custom roms available to more than likely fix most of the problems a stock rom has. Also the battery is the same as a TP2 and Arrives so they are like $2 on eBay for some with a charger usually. Replacement parts are also cheap and easy to get.

Dr. Bones
Nov 4, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

The old EVO 4G has some of the most and best custom roms available to more than likely fix most of the problems a stock rom has. Also the battery is the same as a TP2 and Arrives so they are like $2 on eBay for some with a charger usually. Replacement parts are also cheap and easy to get.

Unless you need to replace the motherboard for a non-defective one, which is the case with mine.

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005
So just got the EVO lte. Haven't activated it yet. Just wanted to check if anyone knew if HTC has a better model coming along worth waiting for? Like by the end of the year. I'm guessing no since they tend to release in the Spring.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CombatCupcake posted:

So just got the EVO lte. Haven't activated it yet. Just wanted to check if anyone knew if HTC has a better model coming along worth waiting for? Like by the end of the year. I'm guessing no since they tend to release in the Spring.

The current crop of phones should be the best phones to buy right now, HTC Samsung and Apple.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
They're supposed to be pre-launching all live NV towers in the Chicago market today. Wonder if I'll see any LTE. I have had no luck so far, and I've been in areas where people have reported LTE sightings.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
FYI the iPhone 5 64GB is listed as 0 in sprints shipment inventory, which means it may get allocation soon. The 16 and 32 are not looking as good.

Edit: Was able to make orders for the 16 and 32. That's good.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 21, 2012

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI the iPhone 5 64GB is listed as 0 in sprints shipment inventory, which means it may get allocation soon. The 16 and 32 are not looking as good.

I ordered a 16 and 32 from Apple at 4:20 am on the 14th. They still haven't shipped while goons who are AT&T customers that ordered after 12pm on the same day are getting shipped statuses. I just call it being a Sprint customer (not blaming them, just part of the charm).

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Edit: Was able to make orders for the 16 and 32. That's good.
I hope you get out of work alive this weekend.

Also, I know Sprint no longer does the 14 day early upgrade, but how about 1/2 days? Or is the upgrade date now carved in stone and guarded by automatic machine gun turrets?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

quote:

We know you are dying to get your hands on it. We'll charge your card today and your iPhone will be waiting for you in our warehouse with your name on it. Excluding extreme circumstances, we'll do our best to get it to you in up to 1 week.

quote:

Status: Thank you for pre-ordering the 32GB iPhone 5. You are one step closer to getting your phone. Keep an eye out for a shipping email with your tracking information. Pre-orders placed through 5 pm CT on 9/17 will arrive on or around 9/21. Pre-orders placed after 5 pm CT on 9/17 through 10:00 am CT on 9/20 will ship in 2 weeks. Orders placed after 10:00 am CT on 9/20 will ship in 3 weeks. For questions, visit sprint.com/preorder.

quote:

Status: The equipment has shipped and/or the activation is complete

quote:

Charges
We'll charge your card for your device when you place your order. And if you are starting a new line, we'll activate your device in the warehouse so it's ready for you right out of the box.
Shipping
We'll ship your iPhone in up to 3 weeks. You'll get an email when your pre-order ships that will include a tracking number.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Allaniis posted:

I hope you get out of work alive this weekend.

Also, I know Sprint no longer does the 14 day early upgrade, but how about 1/2 days? Or is the upgrade date now carved in stone and guarded by automatic machine gun turrets?

They likely won't push it up. Just hang out is my recommendation.

This is the best launch yet for me actually, I volunteered to do all the iPhone 4 phone orders, and since they were free I just ordered them all from my work computer at 6am today while having a very small glass of scotch (I felt the occasion merited it, and I only slept 2 hours anyway). I am at about 50% of what I did at last years launch, and I haven't processed my 5 preorders or gone into the store yet. I quite happy.

Happy iPhoneMas everyone.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Duckman2008 posted:

I talked to a bunch of people. Most stores are getting a total of 3 iphone 5s for launch day. It isn't pretty. My store got lucky and got 4 plus 2 32GBs.
Yup, were were a 3-phone store. 2 16gb and 1 32gb, all white.

All of our customers who put a deposit down wanted black ones.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I can understand wanting to be part of the first wave, but I can also appreciate the benefit of not having an upgrade until after demand and supply have equalized a bit.

I don't know how long that takes, but say it takes a month. If you have your upgrade available today, well, order your phone and it take a month to arrive.

Your upgrade comes in a month? Order your phone then and it takes 2 days to arrive because they aren't slammed by then.

On the other hand I could be wrong and they could end up having fulfillment problems for a quarter. I don't know how long it takes for the initial crush to level off but I'd guess a month or so would be a good figure.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

nate fisher posted:

I ordered a 16 and 32 from Apple at 4:20 am on the 14th. They still haven't shipped while goons who are AT&T customers that ordered after 12pm on the same day are getting shipped statuses. I just call it being a Sprint customer (not blaming them, just part of the charm).

Well Apple has switched my 32GB to shipping soon, but no change in my 16GB (I guess it will change in next 24). So it looks like Sprint phones are shipping from Apple now, because before AT&T was jumping ahead of us.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

They're supposed to be pre-launching all live NV towers in the Chicago market today. Wonder if I'll see any LTE. I have had no luck so far, and I've been in areas where people have reported LTE sightings.

Anyone else in Chicago area able to test? I'm in Indiana right now and I'd love to go home to some 4G goodness tonight.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

UglyCrackBaby posted:

Anyone else in Chicago area able to test? I'm in Indiana right now and I'd love to go home to some 4G goodness tonight.

I have had no luck finding any LTE today.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
My store got quite a few but they weren't delivered until almost noon, created quite the mess.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
What's the best phone that I can get that will work on the old $30 plan? I'm currently using an htc vogue with android on it, but my screen is pretty much shot and my battery life is 30 minutes if I use the browser.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Touch Pro 2? I'd like to know if there's any secrets on that too, my dad has my old TP2 and that thing is starting to get some serious miles on it.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Waiting for a number to port over is the worst part of a new phone on a different carrier. At least the phone works just fine on wifi!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

What's the best phone that I can get that will work on the old $30 plan? I'm currently using an htc vogue with android on it, but my screen is pretty much shot and my battery life is 30 minutes if I use the browser.

Personal opinion, but get an HTC arrive and pay $40 a month. Best phone for that plan, and the $10 is worth it over the poo poo phones that you can put on the $30 plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I see you've never met my dad. He's clinging onto that TP2 for dear life, no matter how much better the $40/$50 phones are. You could give the man a free iPhone 5 and tell him you managed to make it work on the $40 plan and he'd probably still keep the TP2.