Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

crazyfish posted:

Brooklyn Chocolate Stout or Bourbon County Stout? If it's the latter (though I'd be shocked at the pricing mistake), buy out the store. Don't think I've ever had Brooklyn's.

It's the Brooklyn's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Oh boy, are we talking about Dogfish Head again?

For some content, anyone try the SN Beer Camp pack this year? Standouts for me were the Imperial Red and the Oatmeal Stout. I think Imperial Reds might be my new favorite; this was a good one and very clearly "Sierra Nevada-ey" if that makes sense. The oatmeal stout was really meaty; I don't think I've seen an explicit "Oatmeal Stout" that was that high an ABV. Thinking about aging one but I might crack it soon... The floral IPA was a nice one, a lot less fierce than Torpedo, crisper almost. The Imperial Pilsener was super boring I thought; I don't know what made this one "Imperial", it was a bit characterless for me. It didn't actively repulse me like Odell's Imperial Pilsener though, so that's good.

global tetrahedron fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 20, 2012

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

global tetrahedron posted:

Let's talk beer 4: Too busy talking about not talking about DFH to drink

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

RHIN0002 posted:

It's the Brooklyn's.

Good price for a good beer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

For some content, anyone try the SN Beer Camp pack this year? Standouts for me were the Imperial Red and the Oatmeal Stout. I think Imperial Reds might be my new favorite; this was a good one and very clearly "Sierra Nevada-ey" if that makes sense. The oatmeal stout was really meaty; I don't think I've seen an explicit "Oatmeal Stout" that was that high an ABV. Thinking about aging one but I might crack it soon... The floral IPA was a nice one, a lot less fierce than Torpedo, crisper almost. The Imperial Pilsener was super boring I thought; I don't know what made this one "Imperial", it was a bit characterless for me. It didn't actively repulse me like Odell's Imperial Pilsener though, so that's good.

I had both those and didn't think either was worth writing home about.

E: I meant the oatmeal stout and the red.

danbanana fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 20, 2012

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Shane- oldest Saison Brett I'd had was an '09 sometime in 2011. It does improve a lot with age. The beer was cleaner and dry and with the carbonation, it reminded me of champagne. Funkiness mellowed down to an earthy apple tart flavor.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.

danbanana posted:

I like Immortal just fine.

And also to not go all DFH sucks on you, but I'm willing to bet there's another tapping that will be better than this. I don't know what their distro is like in LA, but none of these are hard to come by.

I've never had the 120 before and its hard to fine in CA, but my friend is a huge DFH nerd and will probably pay for some/all of this tonight so.

There are a ton of other good tappings tonight.....

Ballast Point night at Boneyard

Habanero Sculpin
Nitro Sculpin
Barrel Aged Piper Down
Abandon Ship
Indra Kunindra

Stone is basically taking over the city of Pasadena with the number of events planned.

Full list.
http://www.labeerweek.com/events_by_day.php

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Splizwarf posted:

Is that Bitches Brew cellared from the original release in 2010 or did they keep making it? I always wanted to try it.

They re-brewed it, should be shipping soon.

RHIN0002 posted:

A local place has several 4-packs of BCS for $7.49. Is this a stupid-low price/should I stock up? I've tried it once before and loved it, but I'm not sure what the price was at the time.

Black Chocolate Stout is a great beer and well worth the $7.49.

I was severely disappointed that three of the beers talk up their hop profiles, yet were bottled 2 months before they arrived in New Jersey. It's not like Sierra Nevada to ship nearing old beer like that. As for the beer, I thought they were all pretty okay, the true standout was how the Floral IPA looked in a glass, the way the light shines through and hits the slightly moving in-suspension particles reminds me of visuals you get on LSD. I was surprised at the cocoa finish of the Red Ale though. It's funny you mention it though as I was about to open my last of the pack, the Imperial Pilsener.

That was the highlight of the pack for me.

Lastly, maybe I'm jaded as I can get every Dogfish Head offering easily, but I'd go to that Ballast Point one over Dogfish Head.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I will say, I'm glad there's a lot more 120 floating around, that way more people can truly know what a revolting beer it is instead of just spreading baseless hype because it's so scarce.

Hitting up a bottle share with Munkaboo tonight (and you better not flake cuz I'm planning to clear out practically all the beer I've amassed during my short time in DC). This is in celebration of me getting a sweet job offer, which lets me move back to Dallas

Pizzeria Paradiso also has this going on Saturday. More Tilquin yum yum yum.
http://www.dcbeer.com/event/sour-celebration-pizza-p-dupont

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

air- posted:

I will say, I'm glad there's a lot more 120 floating around, that way more people can truly know what a revolting beer it is instead of just spreading baseless hype because it's so scarce.

120 Minute was never rare to me, in-fact I have 6 from this year I'm aging, and I still think it's a wonderful beer when aged a year. Fresh it reminded me of nail polish and rubber, I even took a sip last week and thought it was awful, but one of the best beers I've had was a 2008 120 Minute kegged and tapped in late 2009, this was a buddies personal keg, back before 120 Minute had this hype around it. It was delicious and everyone who tried it agreed. I don't know if the recipe or anything has changed, but I'm expecting the 120 Minute's I have to age nicely and will find out next year.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

air- posted:

Shane- oldest Saison Brett I'd had was an '09 sometime in 2011. It does improve a lot with age. The beer was cleaner and dry and with the carbonation, it reminded me of champagne. Funkiness mellowed down to an earthy apple tart flavor.

This sounds worse to me though.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

air- posted:

Hitting up a bottle share with Munkaboo tonight (and you better not flake cuz I'm planning to clear out practically all the beer I've amassed during my short time in DC). This is in celebration of me getting a sweet job offer, which lets me move back to Dallas

Pizzeria Paradiso also has this going on Saturday. More Tilquin yum yum yum.
http://www.dcbeer.com/event/sour-celebration-pizza-p-dupont

I may be late, but I won't flake out!!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

ShaneB posted:

This sounds worse to me though.

I don't know what you're expecting. To me, that profile isn't too far off from how old Orval tastes ("better rounded"), minus the acidity.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I had my wisdom teeth out on Monday, so I'm on a drinking hiatus for about a week.

To help get through the rough times, I went to the store today and bought some beer. I got 2 bottles of 3F's Moloko Milk Stout, and 3 bottles of DFH Bitches Brew. I've never tried either, but both sound super duper good.

I'm really glad it's stout season again!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

:supaburn: pumpkin beer post :supaburn:

Shipyard Pumpkinhead is tasting really good this year. Seems heavier on the spices than I remember, but still very light and sessionable in body and ABV.

Shai Hulud
Feb 23, 2004

air- posted:

God yes. I used to live in KC, and I sure do miss Boulevard Brewery. I've had better saisons since, but it was my first, and in that sense the best.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Docjowles posted:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Docjowles posted:

Shipyard Pumpkinhead is tasting really good this year. Seems heavier on the spices than I remember, but still very light and sessionable in body and ABV.

Uh what? Pumpkinhead is possibly the worst cider, I mean pumpkin beer I've had all year. It tastes more like a spiced apple cider than anything.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
the worst pumpkin beer i've had all year was all of them

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Midorka posted:

Uh what? Pumpkinhead is possibly the worst cider, I mean pumpkin beer I've had all year. It tastes more like a spiced apple cider than anything.

I legitimately like Pumpkinhead a lot, although I think I'm kinda alone in this thread. I can't think of any other pumpkin beer I enjoy. Doesn't taste cidery to me at all, though honestly a nice cup of spiced cider in the fall is a great thing, too.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

cryme posted:

Cool post, thanks for sharing.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

cryme posted:

This made me laugh out loud...

Just got to our vacation rental in Portland, ME and had 4 pumpkinheads in the fridge. When I finish this awful IPA from Grittys, I'll settle this argument.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Since it's no longer cool to hate pumpkin beers can we go back to loving them

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Well, I will, because I'd kill for some Pumking right now, okay?!

Though, right now I'm having a beer called the Survival "7-Grain Stout" from Hopworks Urban Brewery over in Portland, OR, and I think this joint is an early favorite for my favorite Portland brewery. This thing is incredibly well balanced; not high in alcohol, but the grain work together great and there's just enough coffee added to make that flavor prevalent as well. I loves it, I do.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Nope. This isn't good. It tastes a lot like a pumpkin beer.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

This made me laugh out loud...

Just got to our vacation rental in Portland, ME and had 4 pumpkinheads in the fridge. When I finish this awful IPA from Grittys, I'll settle this argument.

Are you planning on going to Ebenezer's? Please live my dream for me.

edit: for context, not sure who linked me to this: http://vimeo.com/10931456

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Since it's no longer cool to hate pumpkin beers can we go back to loving them

i'll be honest i didn't hate good gourd

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Well, I will, because I'd kill for some Pumking right now, okay?!

Though, right now I'm having a beer called the Survival "7-Grain Stout" from Hopworks Urban Brewery over in Portland, OR, and I think this joint is an early favorite for my favorite Portland brewery. This thing is incredibly well balanced; not high in alcohol, but the grain work together great and there's just enough coffee added to make that flavor prevalent as well. I loves it, I do.

You can get Pumpking at many places around Portland, like the Whole Foods in the Pearl.

Do you like malty DIPAs? Have you had Hopworks Ace of Spades yet?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

Are you planning on going to Ebenezer's? Please live my dream for me.

edit: for context, not sure who linked me to this: http://vimeo.com/10931456

Unfortunately, no. It's a long weekend with my siblings and I'm the only beer guy. We are staying a few blocks from Novare Res, which looks like a good place and convenient for drinks after dinner one night.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

You can get Pumpking at many places around Portland, like the Whole Foods in the Pearl.

Do you like malty DIPAs? Have you had Hopworks Ace of Spades yet?

Yeah, but Portland ain't Bend, and Southern Tier doesn't have it here :cry: I like Pumking a lot, but not quite enough to merit a multi-hour trip just for that. (Going to Portland in a couple weeks, though, in order to fly to Denver for GABF.)

I don't think I've had that one from HUB yet, but I will give that one priority over all the other massive amounts of IPAs available here on tap everywhere. (It should be said that Boneyard makes a hell of a DIPA with their Hop Venom.)

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 21, 2012

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Casual Yogurt posted:

LA beer week starts today, new Stone company store soft opening in Pasadena, tons of other events...I'm going to the DFH takeover at Far Bar...

Taplist:
Fort (18% ABV Raspberry Beer)
Old School (15% ABV Barleywine)
60 Minute IPA
90 Minute IPA
120 Minute IPA
Miles Davis' Bitches Brew
Burton Baton
Immort Ale
Palo Santo Marron
Black and Blue
Raison D' Etre
Punkin
Something special on the Randall (TBD)

drat son, you went to the wrong LA Beer Week kick off event. Should have gone to 38 degrees for their Stone line up.

quote:

Join Steve Wagner & "Dr." Bill Sysak at 38 Degrees for 2 unique flights of Stone beers. Each flight will be comprised of 4 beers with a theme fitting the palates of each of our "contenders."

Steve Wagner's Flight:

Stone Smoked Porter Aged in Lowland Scotch Whisky Barrels
2008 Imperial Russian Stout aged in Bourbon Barrels
Stone Cali-Belgique IPA aged in Red Wine Barrels
Stone Suitable for Cave Aging - An Imperial Smoked Porter Tribute to
Danny Williams aged in Bourbon Barrels

"Dr" Bill's Flight:

Stone Smoked Porter w/ Chipotle Peppers
Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout
Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA aged in Red Wine Barrels
Bottleworks 13th Anniversary Ale by Stone Brewing Co.

I had the Wagner's Flight and that was delicious. Holy poo poo, 08 RIS is my favorite version of it and having it aged in Bourbon barrels just made it so much better.

In any case, I did also say gently caress it and went to that above listed DFH tap night. Thought it was a mess. Bartenders were slammed and it took a solid 15 minutes to get a drink. I said gently caress it and went with Fort knowing I wasn't going to go back for another with that wait time.

Ugh. I should have listened to those in this thread. It wasn't very good. I'm looking forward to Stone's Pasadena shop opening up tomorrow for general public. Finally going to use my 2 growlers more often than when I take the hour and half trip down to Escondido.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

So this happened last night. I think I may throw up.

Three Floyds - Zombie Dust
Lagunitas - Daytime IPA
New Glarus - Blacktop IPA
Upland - Peach Lambic
Pelican - Mother of All Storms
Maui /JP - Sobrehumano Palena'ole
Jolly Pumpkin - Sobrehumano Palena'ole
Blue Mountain - Full Nelson
Victory - Old Horizontal (2010)
Goose Island - Bourbon County Brand Stout (2007)
Goose Island - Bourbon County Brand Stout (2011)
Dark Horse - Bourbon Barrel Plead the 5th (2011)
Hill Farmstead - Vera Mae
Firestone Walker - Parabola
Bell's - Golden Funk
Three Floyds - Arctic Panzer Wolf
Firestone Walker - Sucaba (Abacus)
New Belgium - La Folie (2009)
Goose Island - King Henry
Rockyard Brewing - Buddha Nuvo
Russian River - Beatification (Batch 005)
Cantillon - Classic Gueuze
Hill Farmstead - Everett
Three Floyds - Dark Lord (2010)
The Bruery - Tart of Darkness
Russian River - Supplication
Goose Island - Lolita
Founders - Backwoods Bastard
Port Brewing - Old Viscosity

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Good work. Now get some greasy breakfast poo poo in you and take the rest of the day off immediately.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Yeah gently caress, that was one of the best bottle shares I've done in my entire life.

It's hard to say what was the highlight. MoaS and KH were both so stellar. Hadn't tried anything from Upland before too and it's well deserving of the hype/praise. I left my bottle of Rose de Gambrinus there too, oops.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

air- posted:

Yeah gently caress, that was one of the best bottle shares I've done in my entire life.

It's hard to say what was the highlight. MoaS and KH were both so stellar. Hadn't tried anything from Upland before too and it's well deserving of the hype/praise. I left my bottle of Rose de Gambrinus there too, oops.

Yeah you looked pretty spaced toward the end.

Shai Hulud
Feb 23, 2004

Munkaboo posted:

Jolly Pumpkin - Sobrehumano Palena'ole
Founders - Backwoods Bastard

So, from one Great Laker to another, which pretentious hipster-crowd brewery do you prefer from the above? I find that I like Founders brews but hate the brewpub itself, while the opposite is true of the Jolly Pumpkin.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Shai Hulud posted:

So, from one Great Laker to another, which pretentious hipster-crowd brewery do you prefer from the above? I find that I like Founders brews but hate the brewpub itself, while the opposite is true of the Jolly Pumpkin.

I'm from Virginia so not really sure on the atmosphere end. Founders though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

At what point are you not able to fully enjoy those beers? Your palate is going to reach a saturation point somewhere there. I don't even bother drinking more of one of the same style in one night because of this. After the first IPA of the night no matter how many crackers or water I eat/drink my tongue is already "shocked" by the initial hop bitterness that even hoppier beers after seem tame.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Shai Hulud posted:

So much wrong in this post that this is my third time re-writing my response to it.

Jolly Pumpkin beers are incredible and food at the Ann Aarbor brewpub is, imho, the best food you can get in town for the price.

Does Grand Rapids even have a hipster crowd big enough for Founders? Wouldn't they all go to Stella's instead? Founders puts on awesome events, has awesome beer, is awesome. I actually dreamt last night that I moved back to Grand Rapids. Move to somewhere else in Michigan and then you will weep once you realize how good you have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Midorka posted:

At what point are you not able to fully enjoy those beers? Your palate is going to reach a saturation point somewhere there. I don't even bother drinking more of one of the same style in one night because of this. After the first IPA of the night no matter how many crackers or water I eat/drink my tongue is already "shocked" by the initial hop bitterness that even hoppier beers after seem tame.

at worst- for me, anyway- a really hoppy beer might throw off the next taste or two, but after that i'm back to "normal." obviously the key with a big tasting is that you try do it in an order that is complimentary. of course you get some crossover, but a good order means you still get a fairly accurate read on each beer.