Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Throatwarbler posted:

So other than looking kind of goofy what's wrong with it?

It's a first gen SLK with the engine out of an E320, and if I'm not mistaken they tried to use much cheaper materials than the SLK used. It also stickered in like the 40s or so I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
New Jaguar F-Type leaked on Facebook or something:

I get strong Japanese Maserati vibes from it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Hashal posted:

I'm almost scared to be run out of AI by admitting I owned one. In my defense, it was the first car I bought on my own... Sorry, that isn't a defense, just a testament to my stupidity and excessive alcohol intake in my early 20s.

Edit: I've tried to make up for it with an LS2 and an LS6 since then.

See, case in point. I'm a Mopar guy, and I don't care how rich I ever get or how good their cars are, I'll never own a MB product.

NEVER FORGET

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

So other than looking kind of goofy what's wrong with it?

For what it was supposed to be, it was super anemic. I suppose the supercharged SRT6 wouldn't be so bad (but only came in an auto) at 330 HP, but the 215HP V6 merc engine was pretty sad pushing such a small car that weighed over 3,000 lbs. My 2001 Infiniti I30 3.0 has more HP and feels faster. The 6 speed felt sloppy. Zero space, can barely fit a single set of golf clubs in it. There was no cup holder (well, there was a single one that fit a 12oz can, but it would likely break after 10k miles). Fake plastic factory air vents in the front. A questionable speed activated rear spoiler, that was a nightmare at speeds around 50 MPH as it would constantly extend and retract. 19" wheels in the back, 18" wheels in the front for what I can only assume were to look cool (read the first sentence). Traction control... that had a button to turn off the traction control... that did not actually turn off the traction control. You had to pull a fuse to actually disable it, and then deal with about 4 warning lights on your dash at all times.

It was a fun car while I had it, but it was also my first sports car. For the price you could get a way better sports car with more power, handling, and "cool factor". poo poo, my Z06 has more trunk space than the Crossfire does. Oh yeah, 80% Mercedes parts means Mercedes maintenance prices. In a $30k Chrysler sports coupe in the early 2000s. The SRT6 was around $45k I think? There's a reason they only had a short run. I'm surprised it was around as long as it was (2003 - 07 I believe).

I'm pretty sure the only reason I bought one was because my dad took me to a classic car race in San Diego at the Coronado Naval air strip in 2002 where things like classic Shelby Cobras were actually racing (not very close to each other). They had the Crossfire debuting as the pacecar and I was 16. Bought a Crossfire when I was around 23 or 24? It was better than the '96 Thunderbird I had at the time!

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 21, 2012

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

My dad had a Crossfire for 2 years because the dealers around here just couldn't move them. It was neat in that it was the first Mercedes-Benz I had ever driven, but it was pretty gutless. He just had it because it looked cool and the lease was well under 300 dollars a month with zero down. His next car was a Mazdaspeed 6 which was about 100 times more entertaining.

e: Now he owns a 2012 5 liter Mustang so he's pretty rad.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I actually liked the styling of the Crossfire, and the SRT6 was definitely more fun to drive, but like was said maintenance costs were asinine, even the SRT6 wasn't powerful enough, and in the segment virtually everything was a better buy. It was perhaps the most glaring example of just how bad MB didn't get it in regards to running an American car company.

Lesson learned is if you're a car company with terrible books, buy a profitable car company, drain their coffers, then say they went bankrupt as you do nothing to change your own product.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

VikingSkull posted:

The fact is, Americans have always done large cars fairly well, and trucks to great effect, and Europeans have always had the best small cars and sports cars. A company that gets the best of both worlds with management that isn't retarded, like Chrysler and Fiat seem to have, is just going to be awesome.

Is that even close to true?

What American designed large cars ever had any degree of success in export markets? Those Buicks the Chinese loved sprint to mind but what else?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

dissss posted:

What American designed large cars ever had any degree of success in export markets? Those Buicks the Chinese loved sprint to mind but what else?

Doesn't have to be talking about export markets. The Civic has always been more successful than the Cavalier (or Cobalt, or Cruze) and the Cadillac Seville/STS has always been more succesful than the Q45/56 or LS400.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Are those Cadillacs really considered to be good cars though (good and successful being quite different things)?

Also the Cavalier sold around 6,000,000 over its production run. Not as many as the Civic, but then that was produced for longer and was sold worldwide.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dissss posted:

The entire Middle East loves their Caprices and Grand Marquis, along with SUVs of every kind. American SUVs had a lot of cachet pretty much world-wide for a while. More recently, Jeep has done very well in Europe now that they've started marketing them there.

Mexico, one of the largest US export markets, basically buys the same stuff as in the US for their middle to high end market, with a bunch of last gen stuff for the cheap part of the market.

Historically, large American luxury cars were actually the "standard of the world."

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
The dumbest thing about the crossfire is it came with the mercedes m112 (215hp 3.2L) instead of chrysler's own 250hp 3.5L. Heck even chrysler's 3.2 was making 225hp at the time. Yes, I would love to have a mercedes engine with mercedes engine part prices, just so I can get less power than chrysler's own comparable engines!

e;f;b

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
If you combine Cavalier and Sunfire sales figures I'm pretty sure they outsold Civic.

Chinese large Buicks and the ME Caprice have always been Holden Commodores.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Spatule posted:

New Jaguar F-Type leaked on Facebook or something:

I get strong Japanese Maserati vibes from it.

Those look loving fantastic.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Auto only :(

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Kenshin posted:

Those look loving fantastic.

I see wayyyyy to much Ferrari California in the red one.

MrChips posted:

What still surprises me to this day is that when Honda made the NR engine (that's the one with oval pistons), they stuck with a conventional circular poppet valves.

I was under the impression that circular valves actually rotated under operation. I know the valvesprings do.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 21, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I don't care for the overall look, but man the details on the new Robocop's armor design is all car all the way. It's cool:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

kimbo305 posted:

I don't care for the overall look, but man the details on the new Robocop's armor design is all car all the way. It's cool:

I had no idea the new model was made by GM. It's all ill-fitting-together plastic. :v:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
They're remaking Robocop? Philistines.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Throatwarbler posted:

If you combine Cavalier and Sunfire sales figures I'm pretty sure they outsold Civic.

Chinese large Buicks and the ME Caprice have always been Holden Commodores.

Only recently have the big Chinese Buicks been Holdens. Before that, they were LeSabres and Park Avenues.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Cream_Filling posted:

They're remaking Robocop? Philistines.

You haven't even seen the suit yet:

I don't know if I should be excited or upset. I'm used to Robocop being silver.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

PeterWeller posted:

Only recently have the big Chinese Buicks been Holdens. Before that, they were LeSabres and Park Avenues.

I know they might have imported some LeSabres and such to Taiwan but neither of those were ever sold in China to the best of my knowledge. The first large Buick in China was called the Royaum and it was an imported Statesman. Unless you're counting the W-body Regal/Century as "large".

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Devyl posted:

There better be a Taurus involved.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

travisray2004 posted:

There better be a Taurus involved.

There is

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Tbh, I hope that project was languishing in Hollywood until the Taurus came back.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Devyl posted:

I didn't know Batman was a Daft Punk fan t:mad:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I saw a new SHO with smoked headlights and matte black paint. Just needed a push bar and spotlight.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Devyl posted:

The whole idea in the original was that robocop is a product designed by committee like a bad car. He should at least have lots of chrome vents and swooshes stuck all over his shiny, stupid looking body, in addition to giant metal shoulders and pecs to intimidate people and look super tuff on crime to execs. And, to modernize, stupid blue LEDs on everything. With maybe a superfluous touch screen.

Hell, white would have made more sense than matte black, if we're talking about dumb trendy design. That or just gross silver-painted plastic. A robot designed like a 90s cell phone or a Subaru interior.

That thing looks like a bad copy of a Batman suit. And doesn't look like a robot at all.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 23, 2012

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Your description is exactly what the new RoboCop should look like. The whole movie is going to miss the point by a country mile, which is sad because if done right, a new RoboCop would be timely and just so very relevant.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I remember when I was a young executive for this studio. I used to call the old character design funny names. "Tin Man." "Radioshack." Once I even called him... "Eighties cheese." But there was always respect. I always knew where the line was drawn. And you just stepped over it, buddy-boy. You've insulted me. And you've insulted this film with that bastard creation of yours. I had a guaranteed fanboy sale with a reboot. Theatrical re-release program. Special edition Blu-Ray tins for 25 years. Who cares if it sucked or not?

(Also, no-one at work understands why I find it hilarious that one of our high-end execs is called Dick Jones.)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

(Also, no-one at work understands why I find it hilarious that one of our high-end execs is called Dick Jones.)
Holy poo poo, you have one too?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Throatwarbler posted:

Unless you're counting the W-body Regal/Century as "large".

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. It's hard to tell all those Buicks apart. And in China, those are quite large.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Holy poo poo, you have one too?
Apparently he's a nice enough guy, though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Devyl posted:

If the suit has a TANNNNNK MISSLE then you know someone has been watching too much Iron Man

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

dissss posted:

Ford Taurus, Chrysler LH cars, Seville/Deville, Aurora, were all great large cars. And domestics produced innumerable amazing large cars in the decades before that too. Now you've got the LX cars, large Epsilons, and the Taurus that I'd take over any comparably priced import.

The only whiffed domestic large cars I can think of are things like the DTS and Impala refreshes in 2006 that just went on too long.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I got to test drive the first C-Max delivered to a Las Vegas dealership, about 2 hours after it rolled off the truck, and 15 minutes after they detailed it. It is a very impressive car! Drives well, peppy...enough, great indicated mileage, solid feel, nice interior, quiet, and spacious as HELL! I could definitely see myself owning one next model year or so.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Pseudonym posted:

Your description is exactly what the new RoboCop should look like. The whole movie is going to miss the point by a country mile, which is sad because if done right, a new RoboCop would be timely and just so very relevant.

The original Robocop is still incredibly timely and relevant.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

an oddly awful oud posted:

The original Robocop is still incredibly timely and relevant.

Yeah, we never really got past the 80s. At this point, we're basically living in a light to moderate 80s dystopia. Which is kind of cool, I guess.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

Ford Taurus, Chrysler LH cars, Seville/Deville, Aurora, were all great large cars. And domestics produced innumerable amazing large cars in the decades before that too. Now you've got the LX cars, large Epsilons, and the Taurus that I'd take over any comparably priced import.

I can only speak for the 90s Taurus and STS, but they're both regarded as utter garbage in my part of the world.

The only other large American car to make it out here was the 300c which is regarded as better but still not worth buying.

assfucker420
May 14, 2012

by T. Mascis

dissss posted:

I can only speak for the 90s Taurus and STS, but they're both regarded as utter garbage in my part of the world.

The only other large American car to make it out here was the 300c which is regarded as better but still not worth buying.

In Canada the STS is also regarded as being a terrible pile of poo poo. The LS400 has always been a far better car.

The Oldsmobile Aurora is also pretty lousy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

assfucker420
May 14, 2012

by T. Mascis

Throatwarbler posted:

Renault sold 623,573 9/Alliances, outselling the Civic of that same period.

I guess that means the Alliance was the better car.

Cream_Filling posted:

Historically, large American luxury cars were actually the "standard of the world."

Yes, in 1935.

assfucker420 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 24, 2012