Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
FOMM got super crashy when I told it to remember my Nexus password so I stopped asking it to do that, I suppose you could try that fix :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TychoCelchuuu posted:

FOMM got super crashy when I told it to remember my Nexus password so I stopped asking it to do that, I suppose you could try that fix :confused:

I couldn't even enter the password, it crashes if I tried doing that. drat, all I wanted to do is just change the directory to point it toward the 4GB exe.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Rirse posted:

Yeah I meant the Fallout Mod Manager. it currently installed in the same folder as New Vegas, but even set as admin it still crashes. And yes I'm using Window 7.

You might wanna try uninstalling and reinstalling it. I let it install to it's usual C:/Games/ directory or whatever the gently caress is default.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
You could try using CFF Explorer to avoid the 4GB exe.

There's a short walkthrough for using the tool with Europa Universalis 3 here, but it should work with your New Vegas exe.

I use this myself, but this is New Vegas, so YMMV.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

kingturnip posted:

You could try using CFF Explorer to avoid the 4GB exe.

There's a short walkthrough for using the tool with Europa Universalis 3 here, but it should work with your New Vegas exe.

I use this myself, but this is New Vegas, so YMMV.

Are you sure it's working? Modifying an executable with CFF Explorer causes Steam to flag it as a broken / unacceptable file, and it will refuse to load the game.

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt
I know that there's an unlimited companion mod, but is there one that scales down the damage dealt by your companions and their total hit points? I'd like to run with a small gang like I did in Fallout 1 & 2, but at the same time I don't want my team to trivialize the game's difficulty. If there isn't one, would scaling the difficulty up to Very Hard be a sufficient way of preserving the challenge?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Are you sure it's working? Modifying an executable with CFF Explorer causes Steam to flag it as a broken / unacceptable file, and it will refuse to load the game.

Well, I'm an idiot. I know I modified the exe, but I must have done something afterward to force it to re-download.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SpookyLizard posted:

You might wanna try uninstalling and reinstalling it. I let it install to it's usual C:/Games/ directory or whatever the gently caress is default.

Tried that, still crashing when I even look at settings.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Pomale posted:

I know that there's an unlimited companion mod, but is there one that scales down the damage dealt by your companions and their total hit points? I'd like to run with a small gang like I did in Fallout 1 & 2, but at the same time I don't want my team to trivialize the game's difficulty. If there isn't one, would scaling the difficulty up to Very Hard be a sufficient way of preserving the challenge?
CCO's Follower Tweaks component halves the damage that companions deal, but also makes them only take half damage themselves. Like Fallout 1 and 2, CCO also makes it so that the number of companions you can have with you is based on your Charisma (1 companion for every 2 points of Charisma, for a maximum of 5) as opposed to always being fixed at one humanoid companion and either ED-E or Rex. Finally, it makes it so that companions don't have unlimited ammo any more - you have to supply them out of your own pocket. However, you can re-enable their unlimited ammo weapons if you want.

By all accounts, it does a good job of increasing the number of companions you can have but balancing it out by nerfing their damage so they don't outshine the player. It might be what you're looking for.

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt

Cirosan posted:

CCO's Follower Tweaks component halves the damage that companions deal, but also makes them only take half damage themselves. Like Fallout 1 and 2, CCO also makes it so that the number of companions you can have with you is based on your Charisma (1 companion for every 2 points of Charisma, for a maximum of 5) as opposed to always being fixed at one humanoid companion and either ED-E or Rex. Finally, it makes it so that companions don't have unlimited ammo any more - you have to supply them out of your own pocket. However, you can re-enable their unlimited ammo weapons if you want.

By all accounts, it does a good job of increasing the number of companions you can have but balancing it out by nerfing their damage so they don't outshine the player. It might be what you're looking for.

This is actually exactly what I was looking for! The other modules look interesting too so I'll have to read through the manual a bit more. Thanks for hooking me up!

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I was thinking of playing New Vegas after a long break and was going through which mods I wanna get. J.E. Sawyer's Overhaul looks really interesting, but had a question regarding it. Now, I don't mind losing a lot of health and such, but does the mod also lower enemy health? Or are they still huge ammo soaking healthballoons while only player gets adjusted down to the endurance level of a wet paper bag?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

They still take .223 to the eyes without flinching, but it's not FO3 Wanderer's Edition style instadying. Eyeballing it from my own game on normal, you're about as durable as a veteran grunt of some sort and proper armor is much more important, especially against small calibers and shotguns. You want some Med-X and companions to screen some damage whenever you're outnumbered by shooty opponents.

It owns is what I'm getting at.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

scamtank posted:

It owns is what I'm getting at.

Hope so! My view on the hit points might be a bit skewed since I usually play on very hard. That's mostly to slow down exp rate though, which seems to have been looked at on the mod anyway. I just went straight for normal now with the Sawyer mod so it'll probably be fine.

No error messages or crashes from my latest install yet :toot:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Fewd posted:

Hope so! My view on the hit points might be a bit skewed since I usually play on very hard. That's mostly to slow down exp rate though, which seems to have been looked at on the mod anyway. I just went straight for normal now with the Sawyer mod so it'll probably be fine.

No error messages or crashes from my latest install yet :toot:

Difficulty level has no effect on XP in New Vegas.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Smol posted:

Difficulty level has no effect on XP in New Vegas.

Really? Welp. Dunno where I got the idea it did, must've been some memory remnant from FO3.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I would definitely recommend playing the modded game on "normal." Even though I usually play games on "hard", the New Vegas version of "hard" just fucks around with the damage you do and the damage you take. This exacerbates bullet-sponginess, and can be counter-productive when using mods that try to address this problem.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

If I'm using jsawyer, will the WMX mod interfere with it? Is there a way to make the Grunt perk work with GRA weapons? Also, regarding the Underground Hideout mod near Bonnie Springs: How long does it take for you to get the things you order through Crimson Caravan Online? And where is it delivered?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

How long does it take for you to get the things you order through Crimson Caravan Online? And where is it delivered?

About a day, I think. There's a mailbox right inside the entrance, across from the incinerator.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

If I'm using jsawyer, will the WMX mod interfere with it? Is there a way to make the Grunt perk work with GRA weapons? Also, regarding the Underground Hideout mod near Bonnie Springs: How long does it take for you to get the things you order through Crimson Caravan Online? And where is it delivered?

jsawyer.esp fixes Grunt, no idea about anything else.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What gives, I finally got around the whole issue with the New Vegas Mod Manager not working by using the Nexus Mod Manager and set the custom launcher there to the 4 GB patch. But when I get in game, the screenshots and achievements are gone like before. I heard it not suppose to be causing this, so why is Steam saying I'm "in-game" and counts the time played, but doesn't let me get the achievements or take any screenshots (ones I took before when it was doing this don't appear with the other ones).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Rirse posted:

What gives, I finally got around the whole issue with the New Vegas Mod Manager not working by using the Nexus Mod Manager and set the custom launcher there to the 4 GB patch. But when I get in game, the screenshots and achievements are gone like before. I heard it not suppose to be causing this, so why is Steam saying I'm "in-game" and counts the time played, but doesn't let me get the achievements or take any screenshots (ones I took before when it was doing this don't appear with the other ones).

Do achievements work if you load FNV4GB_NVSE directly, or through FALLOUT Mod Manager? (I never tried a screenshot and most of the game-specific Steam stuff doesn't work through either FNV4GB... although achievements do, if my experience is worth anything.)

Also I have no idea if you use the console, but if you so much as bring it up (you don't even have to type the first character of a command), achievements are locked out until you quit and restart.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 20, 2012

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Do achievements work if you load FNV4GB_NVSE directly, or through FALLOUT Mod Manager? (I never tried a screenshot and most of the game-specific Steam stuff doesn't work through either FNV4GB... although achievements do, if my experience is worth anything.)

Also I have no idea if you use the console, but if you so much as bring it up (you don't even have to type the first character of a command), achievements are locked out until you quit and restart.

I tried both with no success. It not so much achievements not popping (I already did a lot of the game so there isn't much left for me to get), but in the Steam overlay the section for them is gone and replaced by a blank news panel. And the screenshots don't show any of the ones I took and if I do take a picture, it's treated as a separate game then normal.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Rirse posted:

I tried both with no success. It not so much achievements not popping (I already did a lot of the game so there isn't much left for me to get), but in the Steam overlay the section for them is gone and replaced by a blank news panel. And the screenshots don't show any of the ones I took and if I do take a picture, it's treated as a separate game then normal.

That's normal.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

If I've randomly installed a bunch of mods without FOMM and some with FOMM and would like to start from scratch and make it all FOMM... what do I do?

I don't want to delete my DLC though. Don't know how to do this efficiently and quickly.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Xachariah posted:

If I've randomly installed a bunch of mods without FOMM and some with FOMM and would like to start from scratch and make it all FOMM... what do I do?

I don't want to delete my DLC though. Don't know how to do this efficiently and quickly.

The somewhat painful way is to rename/move/delete your /data, folder, redownload/validate from steam. You may want to do this if only so you can make a back up of the vanilla game (I did this and it's been useful). Then install via FOMM.

Alternatively, deactive all mods in FOMM's package manager, then go and clear out any files still in there that aren't related to the DLC's. Revalidate from steam after doing this in case you deleted anything you should not have. For the most part, most of the vanilla stuff is all in .bsa files, but you might still delete stuff you shouldn't.

Additionally, you could add the missing mods to FOMM, activate them and overwrite the existing things.

I'd probably just start with a clean install, but I've already got a back up of the vanilla game/dlc.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

If that the case, I rather not use the 4 GB mod.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Rirse posted:

Your playtime and screenshots are that important? I'd happily trade those for the game not crashing after half an hour.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I run the 4gb NVSE .exe directly without using FOMM (I use FOMM to manage mods but not to launch the game) and Steam achievements/screenshots work fine.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I run the 4gb NVSE .exe directly without using FOMM (I use FOMM to manage mods but not to launch the game) and Steam achievements/screenshots work fine.

Where you put the 4 GB patch at? Maybe I need a specific version of it or the script extender.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rirse posted:

Where you put the 4 GB patch at? Maybe I need a specific version of it or the script extender.
I downloaded the "alternate loader" (most of the way down the page) from the NVSE site and put the .exe and the .dll in my main New Vegas folder (the one above the Data folder). Then I run that .exe to launch the game.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I downloaded the "alternate loader" (most of the way down the page) from the NVSE site and put the .exe and the .dll in my main New Vegas folder (the one above the Data folder). Then I run that .exe to launch the game.

Still getting the same issues. What version of the script extender you using?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The latest version linked at the top of that site I linked.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Just as a heads up, all of the links to the Nexus in the OP are broken thanks to them changing their web address.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Although if you check the URL and get the number at the end and paste that into the new Nexus address it works fine.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Rirse posted:

SpookyLizard posted:

Your playtime and screenshots are that important? I'd happily trade those for the game not crashing after half an hour.

Also, Rirse, total playtime is still saved and shows up on FNV's library page, and two weeks' time in your profile page. It just only shows session time in the overlay. (As an aside: People seem to think that Steam's playtime tracker is wildly inaccurate. If you consider it goes by program uptime instead of savefile times, it's basically dead-on. In the case of New Vegas, anyway. Unfortunately Steam can't track whether the game's been left open while you went to work or ate dinner or had to reload it fifty thousand times because of a bad mod or something.)

And you can still save screenshots, and pull 'em out of %Steam%\userdata\[some number]\760\remote\0\screenshots at leisure, like a non-Steam game with an overlay on.

You big baby.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 21, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Alouicious posted:

Just as a heads up, all of the links to the Nexus in the OP are broken thanks to them changing their web address.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Although if you check the URL and get the number at the end and paste that into the new Nexus address it works fine.

Are you serious? loving balls. I'll fix them this weekend. Just copy the OP and do an add+replace probably.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Sort of dumb question but I haven't played much New Vegas (or fallout really) and set aside my short bit into NV for some other stuff, but forgot where I was and decided to start over!

Besides the Hardcore mode (which didn't appear to be particularly difficult even after I dumped the canteen/flask into storage), is there any particular mods to make it somewhat more [b]harsh[/]? You know, blasted post-apoc and all that. Or any general mods for play? The OP is mostly broken up by types. If it matters I have the NV pack with the DLC that went up on steam some time ago.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Synnr posted:

Sort of dumb question but I haven't played much New Vegas (or fallout really) and set aside my short bit into NV for some other stuff, but forgot where I was and decided to start over!

Besides the Hardcore mode (which didn't appear to be particularly difficult even after I dumped the canteen/flask into storage), is there any particular mods to make it somewhat more [b]harsh[/]? You know, blasted post-apoc and all that. Or any general mods for play? The OP is mostly broken up by types. If it matters I have the NV pack with the DLC that went up on steam some time ago.

JSawyer. It's more unforgiving but isn't all that blasted, and if you're actually looking for blasted New Vegas is a place and time a little too into the rebuilding stage to qualify.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

O lawd the Sawyer mod is punishing the little hoarder inside me. All those pretty duct tapes and wonderglues I must leave behind to walk their paths alone in this cruel world :qq:

Loving it though, my inventory has never been this clean.

Got a weird little bug, which I don't really know if it's even related to any mod. If I start the game and try to load my recent saves, it just hangs on loading screen forever. However I can either start a new game or load a save from early game, which load fine, and then load my recent saves without any problems. Maybe its some kind of "too much poo poo to load" error? But only memory intensive mod I use is the NMC medium graphics thing and I'm using the 4 GB mod. No difference if I drop the 4 GB one.

Not that I really care if it's caused by a mod, it's so easy to circumvent that I wouldn't stop using anything because of it. Just wondering what's causing it.

Synnr posted:

All the things you get from the Courier's Stash DLC also make the early game really trivial. Sawyer mod gives you none of that poo poo, and instead spreads the DLC items into specific places in the wasteland.

Also if you're planning on mods to install, I can recommend NMC texture pack + Project Reality + Vurts plants and trees and whatever mod (dead) combination for the environment. I'm going with those at the moment and they make the game pretty :3:

Fewd fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Are you using Cipscis' Automatic Save Manager to save, or just using the game's normal save system?