Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Off topic, but holy gently caress, I saw that Godspeed cat picture a few days ago and laughed and laughed and laughed. Every time I see it, I have the same reaction. Can that be the new post-rock thread avatar? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Yo I am super loving stoked for this new Caspian album dropping on Friday, you don't even know.

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 18, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Yo I am super loving stoked for this new Caspian album dropping on Thursday, you don't even know.

Oh I think I know ;)

I put in my CD + t-shirt pre-order like a month ago. I practically never buy physical copies of CDs anymore, but I can't loving wait for that to get here.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Off topic, but holy gently caress, I saw that Godspeed cat picture a few days ago and laughed and laughed and laughed. Every time I see it, I have the same reaction. Can that be the new post-rock thread avatar? :v:

What picture is this? All I could find on google was RC boats

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
oh in other news, there is a new té album out! I think it leaked 2 weeks early?

According to the tags, it is called "ゆえに、密度の幻想は綻び、蹌踉めく世界は明日を『忘却』す。", or "Thus, the illusion of density come apart at the seams, the world will have the appearance of Soro "forgetting" to tomorrow."

I'm 2 tracks in, it's pretty neat.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

david puddy posted:

What picture is this? All I could find on google was RC boats

Cymbal Monkey's avatar, small version of this:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Cymbal Monkey's avatar, small version of this:

Haha. Nice.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I'm so far avoiding listening to the album till I see them live. A lot of people are complaining about strings being horribly over used. I for one love strings, so I'm still quite excited. Do they normally play such small gigs?

The only time they had the orchestra backing them was for their NYC show. And as briefly discussed a bit earlier, I don't think they have a prerecorded strings track for their live shows either -- the string part is played by Takaakira (I assume it was him, wasn't close enough to see).

I'd always resisted listening to the albums before seeing them live up until For My Parents, and I'd strongly advise to keep the surprise for this particular one, due to the whole strings aspect. It'll probably make your first album listen even better.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've already heard the whole album, so I hope those songs don't sound especially "meh" to me when I see them next month :ohdear:

The past 2 times I've seen them, everything they've played has been amazing, so hopefully this time will continue that trend and include the songs on For My Parents in that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Saw that cat picture last night and pissed myself laughing

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
New Caspian is supposed to be streaming here, but in the worst case of post-rock blueballs in recorded history, track 9 is stuck on repeat:

http://www.spin.com/articles/caspian-waking-season-full-album-stream

EDIT: Nevermind, someone posted a fix:

1) Click the red down arrow.
2) Click "Latest" at the top
3) Click the Play button on "Waking Season"

snortpocket fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 18, 2012

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Streaming the album, so far it's brilliant, but what's going on with the middle one's face?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is, without a doubt, one of the best post-rock albums I have ever heard.

:stare:

You think I'm kidding? Go listen to this right now!

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
I still can't get the last one to play, but I'm soothed by the fact that I've had "Gone in Bloom and Bough" on repeat for about 4 hours now

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Hey wow. TBH none of Caspian's previous stuff really stood out for me, but this is pretty great.

Oh also belated thank you to whoever it was that posted those tracks from the Marriages album. I really got hooked on it.

Neeb
Oct 21, 2010

Nuclear Spoon posted:

oh in other news, there is a new té album out! I think it leaked 2 weeks early?

According to the tags, it is called "ゆえに、密度の幻想は綻び、蹌踉めく世界は明日を『忘却』す。", or "Thus, the illusion of density come apart at the seams, the world will have the appearance of Soro "forgetting" to tomorrow."

I'm 2 tracks in, it's pretty neat.

Yeah I'm halfway through this and it's sounding drat good, much like all their other stuff that I've heard.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

While looking on Riding Alone For Thousands of Mile's (there's no excuse to not have their discography) last.fm I came across a band called Stubborn Tiny Lights VS Clustering Darkness Forever OK? which stands out as a terrible name even among post rock bands. Very much worth a listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ippDyB3boko

Addendum: I feel like we need a post rock IRC night and just go nuts.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 19, 2012

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
I'm holding out on the new Caspian until it's FLAC and usually I only listen to stuff in V0.

I want my first time to be special :3

P.S. Come hit me up in #post-rock on irc.synirc.net if you guys really want to do an IRC channel. (mibbit: http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.synirc.net&channel=%23post-rock)

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 20, 2012

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Nuclear Spoon posted:

P.S. Come hit me up in #post-rock on irc.synirc.net if you guys really want to do an IRC channel. (mibbit: http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.synirc.net&channel=%23post-rock)

I think we should schedule a night for this, get synchtube going.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nuclear Spoon posted:

I'm holding out on the new Caspian until it's FLAC and usually I only listen to stuff in V0.

I want my first time to be special :3

Hearing it on Spin for the first time was special :colbert:

Though yeah, I am loving excited to have my physical copy so I can listen to it in the highest quality.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Youth Pictures have a new album of demos and stuff!

More news!
Red Sparowes are doing an Ask Us Anything on Reddit (why Reddit :smith:)

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 20, 2012

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
hey dad how did you propose to mom

well red sparowes who are an okay instrumental rock band were doing this thing called an "ask me anything" on reddit which is a website full of paedophiles and rape apologists so decided to ask her there on that thread

(at any rate this would be a cool opportunity to see how they feel about maoism)

e: i sent YPOFH $3 and a lovely picture of a cat and they sent me a personal email back thanking me for it :3

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 21, 2012

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I've talked to them a bit, they're a really nice group of guys. The kind that seem genuinely thrilled that you like their music.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
in other "i really loving love caspian" news:

that's just really great

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nuclear Spoon posted:

that's just really great

:laffo: Yeah, those guys have an excellent sense of humor in addition to making incredible tunes.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Nuclear Spoon posted:

that's just really great
That's really cool of them.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Are the Pirate Ship Quintet good live? Thinking of popping along to see them tonight.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
E/N Time: I really wish I lived in a place where I could be bored of seeing Mono and pop over to a Pirate Ship Quintet show.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Mono are finally doing some Irish dates on their UK tour in December. Now the question is, do I want to drive to Dublin so I can see them twice?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Eating pizza waiting for the MONO concert doors to open. No problem. In walks MONO.

Yay can't wait!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just got my Waking Season CD / poster / shirt in the mail and listening to this album for the 2nd time. Still so very, very good :D

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i am a dolt

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 28, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Wouldn't mind ripping me a 100% FLAC would you? :allears:

That was step 1 after putting the CD in my computer, broseph ;) But I'm not posting it here! You know, :filez: and all.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

RIP Nukespoon.

On a lighter note, Balmorhea! Largely acoustic post rock, I've grabbed three of their albums: Balmorhea; All is Wild, All is Silent; and Constellations. All of them are great. It's basically one big exercise in amazing restraint. Also they've got a banjo. I loving love banjos. All of you should check out Balmorhea.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Cymbal Monkey posted:

RIP Nukespoon.

On a lighter note, Balmorhea! Largely acoustic post rock, I've grabbed three of their albums: Balmorhea; All is Wild, All is Silent; and Constellations. All of them are great. It's basically one big exercise in amazing restraint. Also they've got a banjo. I loving love banjos. All of you should check out Balmorhea.

Balmorhea have been in my library for a while, I really love All Is Wild, All Is Silent especially (Settler is incredible). They have a new album out soon, they're previewing some tracks all over the place. One of the members runs their webstore and he is a really cool guy. First CD I ordered from them had a handwritten thank you slipped in the case, and when my vinyl orders went MIA he replaced them free of charge with some extra stuff and another note. :3:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Have we talked about Leech in here yet? I've been listening to these guys non-stop for a month. They did have a new album earlier this year and I didn't see it discussed.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Welp, that was the stupidest loving thing I've done for a while.

I have also now FINALLY heard the new Caspian and it's... good. Other than that I don't know what the heck. I just found myself missing Tertia.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

chunkey posted:

Have we talked about Leech in here yet? I've been listening to these guys non-stop for a month. They did have a new album earlier this year and I didn't see it discussed.

Well I know what I'm buying next time I have a bit of money. Danke.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

chunkey posted:

Just listened to Turbolina and I am blown the gently caress away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.
Caspian just got off stage at the Best Buy Theater in NYC. I'm considering leaving now so this evening isn't ruined.

Short set since they're just openers, but the fact that they closed with Sycamore sealed my ticket for the next time they're in NYC.

Fuuuuuuck that was good.