Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
How big a draw was Bob Backlund if they kept the title on him for five years? Bruno and Hogan are the only other people with reigns of comparable length and they were both obviously huge draws but they also had way more personality than Backlund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Oatgan posted:

John Cena is the father of youtube sensation Fred.

Cena earned every boo he's ever gotten.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Bob Holly was in WWE for loving EVER and was a mostly boring, hateful individual, but he did provide us with some memorable moments:

- Won tag titles with 1-2-3 Kid in big upset
- Actually raced cars and was so insane he got in trouble for aggressive/dangerous driving behavior and trying to crash people
- Called Dracula a fat bastard
- Got Molly Holly on TV
- Fell on a table in ECW and got sliced up
- Got fired for stealing pills from Ken Kennedy
- Such an rear end in a top hat that no one in the locker room had his phone number except for a psycho murderer

Also, I agree that the Alabama Slam rules and I'm glad Cody Rhodes does it sometimes.

Tato fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 20, 2012

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

Karmine posted:

How big a draw was Bob Backlund if they kept the title on him for five years? Bruno and Hogan are the only other people with reigns of comparable length and they were both obviously huge draws but they also had way more personality than Backlund.

Backlund was your typical squeaky clean, all american babyface during his title run. It played really well against the heels of that time.

I think especially in the territory days, the heels were the ones that really needed to draw the money. You didn't want to see Backlund win per se as much as you wanted to see Superstay Billy Graham get his rear end kicked.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Big Poppa posted:

Backlund was your typical squeaky clean, all american babyface during his title run. It played really well against the heels of that time.

I think especially in the territory days, the heels were the ones that really needed to draw the money. You didn't want to see Backlund win per se as much as you wanted to see Superstay Billy Graham get his rear end kicked.

That's not really true. New York had a history of babyfaces who were incredible draws, as did Memphis and the AWA, while other cities like Detroit were more based on heels. Backlund was an OK draw who needed some propping up elsewhere on the card. He was a Vince Sr. guy and the crowds at MSG starting turning on him near the end but he did pretty well.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Memento1979 posted:

I remember Survivor Series 2002 being good, but that might be rose-tinted glasses kicking in. It was the debut of the Elimination Chamber.

It is and Summerslam 2002 is very good, but they are very much outliers

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

Cena earned every boo he's ever gotten.

Every clip I've seen involves Cena beating the poo poo out of him so you take that back.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

Szmitten posted:

Every clip I've seen involves Cena beating the poo poo out of him so you take that back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XeirvCHTAo
Ignore the lovely intro.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
Stupid question, but does/did anyone in wrestling wear a cup? It seems like they couldn't (and the nature of their work means it isn't totally necessary), but still, I would want my jimmies unrustled.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

As far as I know, it's just a jockstrap under.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Man-Thing posted:

I absolutely love Bob Holly from the two seconds before until the two seconds after delivering an Alabama Slam. Move is dooooooope.

At all other times, he can gently caress right off though.

I remember that episode of ECW on Sci-Fi where he went through a table badly and ended up gashing his back and for like five seconds everyone on the forum I went to at the time had a lot of respect for him.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Szmitten posted:

He should FU his testicles through a table for ever creating that hyperactive chipmunk. :colbert:

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Gonzo McFee posted:

He should FU his testicles through a table for ever creating that hyperactive chipmunk. :colbert:

He's Fred's imaginary father.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

UndergroundHero posted:

I'm re-watching Survivor Series 1992, and the main event was suppose to be Flair/Razor vs. Savage/Warrior, and of course Warrior was gone before the show, and on Prime Time Wrestling the week before the show, Savage asked Mr. Perfect to be his partner. By the end of the show Perfect did a face turn and joined Savage.

I understand the need to find a replacement for Warrior, but is there any backstage reason they chose Perfect? Was he scheduled for a face turn on his return to the ring before this?

I assume Perfect was ready to return around then and since they probably knew Flair was leaving soon running with Perfect vs Flair for his last couple of months made sense.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nut Bunnies posted:

It is and Summerslam 2002 is very good, but they are very much outliers

It's actually funny you should say that, Summerslam and Survivor Series are the only two dvds I own from 2002. I might see if I can sneak a re-watch in this weekend.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Oatgan posted:

John Cena is the father of youtube sensation Fred.

false report

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Apologies for laziness, I'm phone-postin', but can someone share that dreadful fan artwork of that Limp Bizkit album that tied in with Wrestlemania X-Seven? I laugh every single time I see it and could do with a chuckle.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Man-Thing posted:

Stupid question, but does/did anyone in wrestling wear a cup? It seems like they couldn't (and the nature of their work means it isn't totally necessary), but still, I would want my jimmies unrustled.

Road Dogg wore one once to beat Chyna (famous for her low blows) in the King of the Ring tournament. That might be it for cups in wrestling.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Man-Thing posted:

I'm convinced Hard Gay was wearing one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMVxhQmMI8o

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Man-Thing posted:

I seem to remember an episode of Nitro where Luger wore a cup to prevent a woman (possible Miss Elizabeth?) from kicking him in the junk.He immediately took it out with a smile to show the crowd, so she kicked him again, then rubbed the cup in his face.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

britishbornandbread posted:

Apologies for laziness, I'm phone-postin', but can someone share that dreadful fan artwork of that Limp Bizkit album that tied in with Wrestlemania X-Seven? I laugh every single time I see it and could do with a chuckle.

I searched and couldn't find this and now I'm sad. :(

Someone help.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm convinced Hard Gay was wearing one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMVxhQmMI8o

Also Danshoku Dino.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

OK, since Silvervision is losing the licence, I thought it would be time to stock up on DVDs.

Which regular PPVs from 2002 - 2012 should I get. I'm excluding the big 4 here, I just want to know if there was an excellent Unforgiven or Judgdment Day that I should pick up?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I remember Backlash 2002 being pretty good.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Man-Thing="407753603 posted:

Lance Storm once said that cups could be driven into your pelvis or broken into bits of plastic, so it wouldn't be worth it.

reality_groove posted:

OK, since Silvervision is losing the licence, I thought it would be time to stock up on DVDs.

Which regular PPVs from 2002 - 2012 should I get. I'm excluding the big 4 here, I just want to know if there was an excellent Unforgiven or Judgdment Day that I should pick up?

Money in the Bank 2011

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Web Jew.0 posted:

Money in the Bank 2011
Not sure how this plays into Region locks and if you'd need a UK version or whatever, but it's worth noting that Punk vs. Cena is on the "Best Pay-Per-View Matches of 2011" blu-ray. I remember being happy about this because that MITB show was DVD-only in the States. It was a pretty good show top-to-bottom though, so it's understandable if you'd wanna get the whole event.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 21, 2012

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

reality_groove posted:

No Mercy 02
Vengeance 03
No Way Out 04 only if you dont have Lesnar/Guerrero somewhere else.
Backlash 04
One Night Stand 05
Vengeance 05
New Year's Revolution 06
No Way Out 06
One Night Stand 06
December to Dismember for how bad it is
Backlash 07
Cyber Sunday 07
No Way Out 2008
One Night Stand 08
No Mercy 08
Armageddon 08
No Way Out 09
Extreme Rules 09
The Bash 09
TLC 09
Elimination Chamber 10
Elimination Chamber 11
Money in the Bank 11
Elimination 2012
Extreme Rules 2012
Over the Limit 2012

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Flair has spoken about how much he loved WWE and hated WCW. So why did he leave the WWE in the 90's to go back?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'd assume the same reason he said no to WWE's Legends contract offer to go to TNA and wrestle: money.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Vince basically felt using Flair wasn't working from a drawing perspective.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

reality_groove posted:

Judgment Day 2002
Unforgiven 2002
No Mercy 2002 (though this is pretty much a two match card)
Vengeance 2003
Backlash 2004
Vengeance 2005
One Night Stand 2005
Backlash 2007
No Mercy 2008
Backlash 2009
Backlash 2010
MITB 2010
Elimination Chamber 2011
MITB 2011
Over the Limit 2012

edit: beaten on some of it but whatever.

Also, as far as Flair, both parties felt he wasn't really a good fit for the WWF and wasn't working how they'd all hoped. He was the epitome of an NWA/WCW guy and it just didn't work in WWF.

El Duke Silver fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 21, 2012

Fury Gagarin
Oct 24, 2011

britishbornandbread posted:

Here you go:

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

MassRayPer posted:

That's not really true. New York had a history of babyfaces who were incredible draws, as did Memphis and the AWA, while other cities like Detroit were more based on heels. Backlund was an OK draw who needed some propping up elsewhere on the card. He was a Vince Sr. guy and the crowds at MSG starting turning on him near the end but he did pretty well.

I guess your pretty much right. I was thinking more of reading how heels tended to travel more to take on the babyfaces of that territory.

So my thinking was more the new heel coming in drew the cash. I probably have it backwards.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Big Poppa posted:

I guess your pretty much right. I was thinking more of reading how heels tended to travel more to take on the babyfaces of that territory.

So my thinking was more the new heel coming in drew the cash. I probably have it backwards.

That is probably more accurate, and definitely so when Flair was champion.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Fury Gagarin posted:

Here you go:

Ahahaha, I forgot just HOW poo poo it was. That's made my day.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Back when Bull Buchanan was with Cena, it seemed like Cole would vacillate between calling him 'B-Squared' and 'B-Two'. Any reason other than Cole (or anyone) not knowing how to pronounce 'B2'?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Fury Gagarin posted:

Here you go:

HOLY poo poo I HAD FORGOTTEN THE KID ACTUALLY PHOTOSHOPPED HIMSELF INTO THE ARTWORK

Thank you so much for this.

If I remember correctly the kid was interviewed by the Coach and it was the most awkward thing ever.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

He did, and he genuinely sounded proud of his work.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

That picture will never fail to make me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Sweeney Tom posted:

He did, and he genuinely sounded proud of his work.
He won a contest and got free tickets to WrestleMania.

He should be proud.