Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

Something delicious instead of something gross -- strawberry milk:

Reminds me of the ectoplasm river in the sewers in Ghostbusters 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

IMG_9931.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002
Found some bees in a park the other day

Untitled by anveo, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I have enough trouble with birds in flight -- bee in flight is very impressive!

quote:

I don't know how you guys get these shots in the wild. Hand-held I can't come close to this, and with a tripod the bug has to be dead already to still be there when I finally get set up.

Continuing with my fruit experiment...

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Anveo posted:

Found some bees in a park the other day

Very nice!

Here's the best inflight I've managed to get. It's an oldie and not nearly as good as yours, though.

bee.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

InternetJunky posted:

I don't know how you guys get these shots in the wild. Hand-held I can't come close to this, and with a tripod the bug has to be dead already to still be there when I finally get set up.

I love these fruit ones :)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Not mine but good enough that I felt the urge to share.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

What do you use for your high-mag stuff? I am a former MP-E65mm user but it was stolen, re-evaluating my entire setup in favor of mirrorless but still need a suitable high-magnification macro kit to fufill my lust for tiny things.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Studebaker Hawk posted:

What do you use for your high-mag stuff? I am a former MP-E65mm user but it was stolen, re-evaluating my entire setup in favor of mirrorless but still need a suitable high-magnification macro kit to fufill my lust for tiny things.
For now I'm using a cheapo Canon 100mm macro with Kenco tubes. For the fruit pictures I use a Stackshot focus stacking setup. Each of the pictures I post are a composite of 30-60 shots.

The MP-E65mm is top of my wish list right now. I really want to get so much closer than what I'm achieving.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Studebaker Hawk posted:

The NEX system has a macro lens that goes up to 5:1. I can't vouch for it's quality, but it'll get you close.

http://www.amazon.com/Nanoha-x5-Macro-Built-Cameras/dp/B007VGSOEK

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Macro is my favorite photography 'style', so when I just recently got my first DSLR (Canon T3) I picked up a small set of macro tubes after reading a little of this thread. I'm still not exactly sure I'm doing anything right, but I thought I'd come share a few of my shots that are on the better side of awful and see if I could maybe get a little feedback, if nothing else!

One of the things that I have the hardest time with, in relation to using the tubes, is manually focusing - it's generally not so bad with still subjects if I can use a tripod, but with moving things (bugs, for instance)... ugh. I think it's not going to be long before I break down and get a proper lens for this.

House Spider by brainmurk, on Flickr

Weeping Cherry Leaf by brainmurk, on Flickr

Weeping Cherry Leaf by brainmurk, on Flickr

C A B by brainmurk, on Flickr

Ned by brainmurk, on Flickr

Kitten Skull by brainmurk, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The best thing I find when trying to manually focus on moving subjects is to just go out and practice a lot. leave your lens at one position, and just move the camera until it looks sharp and take the shot (fire off a few in continuous mode if you want).

It'll get easier.

VVVVVV Don't use a tripod, don't use live view. Just get your face right up into it and snap the pic when you have the shot.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 22, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I just picked up a set of extension tubes and a reversing ring. Holy gently caress macro shots are hard. I feel like the thing that's loving with me most is that the maximum focus distance for me is like 3" away when I'm using the extension tubes and focusing is me moving my tripod up or down and trying to focus using live view. Any tips for not feeling dumb as gently caress using these?

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

I was reading about using a reversed lens for macro today and decided to play around with it.

so I made this boring little video, it's my first time doing the reverse lens thing and also the first video I've shot with my 60d

https://vimeo.com/49955389

I couldn't find a way to manually adjust the aperture on my canon 50mm f/1.8 lens, which is the one I had reversed, so it was stuck open wide, so the depth of field is really shallow. also it was really hard to hold anything steady in the frame.

sorry if this should go in the video thread, I feel like it's appropriate in both.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

The best thing I find when trying to manually focus on moving subjects is to just go out and practice a lot. leave your lens at one position, and just move the camera until it looks sharp and take the shot (fire off a few in continuous mode if you want).

It'll get easier.

VVVVVV Don't use a tripod, don't use live view. Just get your face right up into it and snap the pic when you have the shot.

^^ Mr.Despair is right. Practice so you're able to take advantage of the times luck is in your favour.

At macro distances it's much more effective to move your camera in and out to get focus. Sometimes a monopod works well as you can rock it back and forth but it will still provide some stability.

For more static stuff, like InternetJunky's awesome fruit project, use a tripod and live view. A focusing rail will work wonders as well.

I built one:

It works ok but I recommend just buying one if you want to go that route.

I use a 100mm f/2.8L (which is a fantastic lens in general) and sometimes add extension tubes if I want more. I've used things like ringlights and such in the past but found they often make your photos look really flat. An off-axis speedlite is much better. Because I mostly take macros of flowers and bugs, not to mention that I'm also really lazy, I tend to just shoot on sunny days.

I'd love to get an MP-E65 someday.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

slardel posted:

I couldn't find a way to manually adjust the aperture on my canon 50mm f/1.8 lens, which is the one I had reversed, so it was stuck open wide, so the depth of field is really shallow. also it was really hard to hold anything steady in the frame.

I think the way around this is to put your lens on normally, set the desired aperture, hold down the DOF preview button and remove the lens. The aperture should stay in it's set position.

EDIT: The video appears corrupted??

slardel posted:

^^ works for me :confused:

Huh...for some reason the HD version doesn't play right. Turning HD off cleaned up the corruption. Entertaining video, by the way.

Rot fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 22, 2012

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Rot posted:

I think the way around this is to put your lens on normally, set the desired aperture, hold down the DOF preview button and remove the lens. The aperture should stay in it's set position.

ah, I tried that without pressing the preview button, I'll do that next time.

^^ works for me :confused:

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 22, 2012

Rovasti
Aug 20, 2004
Wild boar weights two hundred kilometers and eats boiled potatoes

Casu Marzu posted:

I just picked up a set of extension tubes and a reversing ring. Holy gently caress macro shots are hard. I feel like the thing that's loving with me most is that the maximum focus distance for me is like 3" away when I'm using the extension tubes and focusing is me moving my tripod up or down and trying to focus using live view. Any tips for not feeling dumb as gently caress using these?

Mr. Despair posted:

I usually use live view, because i can't see anything through viewfinder when my lens is stopped down. Other great thing about liveview is that i can use the magnification when focusing. Of course using liveview at least on Canon 550D causes some serious shutter lag which is problem of it's own when shooting live objects with 5:1 magnification handheld.

Flash with somekind of a softbox is another great help. Of course you can shoot bugs with natural light, but it is much harder.

Be patient and shoot a lot.

My setup is Canon 550D (T2i)
reversed SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.7
reversed generic Pentax mount 28mm f2.5
Meopta Anaret 50mm f4.5 enlarger lens
and set of cheap chinese extension tubes
Nissin di866 flash with some kind of a reflector or a softbox

I shoot everything handheld and focusing is done just by moving the camera. Sometimes hardest part is to get the subject in view at all, at least with the 28mm, because of the razor thin DOF.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

slardel posted:

I was reading about using a reversed lens for macro today and decided to play around with it.

so I made this boring little video, it's my first time doing the reverse lens thing and also the first video I've shot with my 60d

https://vimeo.com/49955389

sorry if this should go in the video thread, I feel like it's appropriate in both.

If you're going to reverse mount just go find a cheap manual lens to use. You should be able to find a pentax 50mm of some kind for very cheap if you'e patient (I've seen UG ones go for under 5 bucks on KEH).

And if you're shooting video, use a tripod or something, or at least try to be a little steady. You just aren't going to get good long video clips without a tripod reliably though.

This is what I normally use for shooting bugs (generally without the ghetto extension tube made out of step up/step down rings though).

Can get pretty good DoF if you stop down to f/16 or so, and you can generally still get enough light to see when shooting bugs. shooting indoors or something I'd recommend taping a flashlight to your camera or something.

DSC_0159.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0161.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0206.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Doesn't hurt to take a lot of pics if you have a moving subject. Sometimes you'll get a good sharp shot right away, but sometimes you might not get everything lined up for 30 or 40 shots, especially if it's windy outside or something. I think I took more than 50 shots of this bug while it was there. Of course, sometimes you'll get to the computer and realize that your first shot was the best anyways, but hey, digital is cheap that way.

DSC_0236.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

What I'm really saying though is go buy a pentax 50mm prime lens and reverse mount it asap. What you get for teh cost is great (and then you'll have a lens handy when you buy an ME Super).

e. Vallium works great too.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 22, 2012

Rovasti
Aug 20, 2004
Oh, i forgot to show some examples.

These are shot with Pentax 50mm reversed and on some extension tubes

Sudenkorento 3_2 by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

Hyppyhämähäkki 1/3 by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

Sudenkorento 2 by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

and these are shot with the generic 28mm reversed and on a set of extension tubes

Hämähäkki 27 by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

Lukki by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

Kärpänen 9 by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
I really need some extension tubes. This 60mm macro I bought years ago doesn't do it....

Red-banded Hairstreak (Calycopis cecrops) by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's been miserable outside so far, so I've been shooting indoors. That being said, even with a lot of direct light and I'm looking through the viewfinder on my 60D, I can't see poo poo through it with an extension tube or lens reverse ring on.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Grasshopper by alkanphel, on Flickr

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
There's a very good chance I may get addicted to macro.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

What's better for someone starting out with a kit lens: a reversing ring or an extension tube? The lens is a Sigma 35-80mm f/4-5.6.

Edit: I have a Nikon D70.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 29, 2012

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Internet Meme posted:

What's better for someone starting out with a kit lens: a reversing ring or an extension tube? The lens is a Sigma 35-80mm f/4-5.6.

Personally I've never had much luck with extension tubes, though I've only tried some really really cheap chinese ones from dealextreme. But I've gotten decent results reversing and it gets you quite close. This was taken with my Nikon Micro 55mm/f3.5 straight up:

and this with it reversed:

I started with one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Raynox-DCR-250-Super-Macro-Snap-On/dp/B000A1SZ2Y and still use it every now and then in conjunction with my dedicated macro lens. It shines more with point and shoots due to the extremely shallow DOF otherwise, but it still gets extremely close and usable shots on my D80/D7K.

A couple others since I've neglected macro for awhile, I keep coming back though. I just can't quit you, critters.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Bee by Raikyn, on Flickr

jumper1 by Raikyn, on Flickr

Raikyn fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 29, 2012

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Just got the new Olympus 60mm macro for m4/3 and I did a test shoot with it.

Ten Cents by alkanphel, on Flickr

Leica Badge by alkanphel, on Flickr

Fern 2 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Rest of the photos are here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjChvSjQ

Rovasti
Aug 20, 2004

Internet Meme posted:

Extension tubes might be easier, because when reversing you lose all automatic functions of your lens. Although extension tubes with electrical contacts are something like 100$ and you can buy nice old manual lens, reversing ring and non-electrical extension tubes for less.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Great Sandhills 28 by Execudork, on Flickr

Not really a macro shot, but it's got an insect in it, on an epic journey.

Great Sandhills 46 by Execudork, on Flickr

Another very purposeful beetle.

Great Sandhills 75 by Execudork, on Flickr

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

PREYING MANTITS posted:

I started with one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Raynox-DCR-250-Super-Macro-Snap-On/dp/B000A1SZ2Y and still use it every now and then in conjunction with my dedicated macro lens. It shines more with point and shoots due to the extremely shallow DOF otherwise, but it still gets extremely close and usable shots on my D80/D7K.

This is what I have been using and it drives me crazy how shallow the DOF is. I am switching to a reversing ring and an old manual nikon lens I have sitting around to see if I can get better results. Hopefully that coupled with getting a flash will help me get a few more decent shots. This is the best I have gotten out of it. Sadly the bee kept moving out of reach so I couldn't get a better angle.

Bee by atticus_1354, on Flickr

I love the background on this one. It manages to balance being interesting without overpowering the subject.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 1, 2012

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

This is what I have been using and it drives me crazy how shallow the DOF is. I am switching to a reversing ring and an old manual nikon lens I have sitting around to see if I can get better results. Hopefully that coupled with getting a flash will help me get a few more decent shots. This is the best I have gotten out of it. Sadly the bee kept moving out of reach so I couldn't get a better angle.

Yeah, it can be a pain. A flash definitely helps! I've found that the sweet spot is around f/11 to f/16 which is certainly flash country. It's still not a lot of DOF, but it's enough to get eyes in focus and such. This one is at f/20:

This is from back when I paired it with a Canon S5IS point and shoot, which gets a lot more depth at f/8 given the smaller sensor size.

I really like your bee shot though! They're fun subjects albeit a little frustrating at times because they rarely stop moving. :)

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Yeah, it can be a pain. A flash definitely helps! I've found that the sweet spot is around f/11 to f/16 which is certainly flash country. It's still not a lot of DOF, but it's enough to get eyes in focus and such.

I really like your bee shot though! They're fun subjects albeit a little frustrating at times because they rarely stop moving. :)

Thanks I will try out those settings when I get my new setup together. The bee was a lucky accident. I was out working on a plant identification project for a class and was trying to snap a picture of the flowers on this plant when the bee landed on the flower to my side. This was the picture I was after. You can see how the flower has a runway for the bee and the stamen rub the back of the bee and deposit pollen.

Purple flower by atticus_1354, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DSC_0195.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0199.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0200.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I don't know what it is (Creme Brulee?) but it looks delicious.

Have something not delicious:

Broccoli

Strawberry (now a fuzzy lump):

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

It's actually just freshly stirred hot chocolate. Water does weird things when you mix stuff in.

e. also it was delicious.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

At the beach 10 by Execudork, on Flickr

At the beach 11 by Execudork, on Flickr

At the beach 15 by Execudork, on Flickr
The itty-bitty spiders were ballooning across Lake Diefenbaker the weekend before last.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Take-off by alkanphel, on Flickr

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I forgot my reversing ring at home, so I had to handhold the lens to the camera for this. Worked surprisingly well.

DSC_0409.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr