Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

I am loving the look on that yellow dog's face. He just looks so grumpy. :3:

In this picture I could maybe understand the Lab thing, his head looks a bit like it. Wouldn't be my first guess though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Citizen Rat posted:

Awww. They'll do what you say if there's something in it for them. (You being happy is not normally sufficient.) NILIF training method is pretty much the most awesome thing ever for these guys. It's also hilarious because now when Sitka really wants something she'll run through her entire repertoire of tricks to get my attention. (a malamute doing 'roll over' never stops being funny.)

The pug that I grew up with was the same way and while she was always funny, it got really frustrating when I needed her to come when called and I didn't happen to have food in my hand. Her gently caress-You Side Eye was legendary. I'm fine with this behavior from my cat because she is a cat but when I have to deal with a dog I'm just like, "Hey cut it out, you are a dog, just go fetch this tennis ball or whatever like you're supposed to." It bums me out because I think bone-mouth Peis and salukis are awesome-looking dogs, but I doubt I'd ever own either one without turning into a giant crybaby every time my own dog ignored me.

My old neighbors had a beautiful red husky bitch that I would occasionally borrow and take for runs, though, and it was a great motivator to have a dog that lives to run. Plus the neighbors loved that their dog finally stopped screaming and chewing the baseboards once she got some exercise. They are so soft and beautiful and :3: but I don't think I could deal with one full-time. Every city should have a Rent-A-Husky program for runners.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

necessary voodoo posted:

Shelters seem to either go full PIBBLES ARE POOR MISUNDERSTOOD ANGELS THAT JUST NEED TO BE TAUGHT FIGHTIN IS WRONG AND SAVED FROM THEMSELVES :qq: :qq: or just what no that's not a pitbull it's a boxer lab healer akita mix what are you talking about!!!

:byodame: THEY JUST NEED TO FIND JESUS :angel:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Serella posted:

:byodame: THEY JUST NEED TO FIND JESUS :angel:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/pet-blessings-are-part-of-bigger-blending-of-951912.html

First picture is a pibble.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Tallulah is sick, I think. Shes going to the vet today if I can get an appointment in. Im really hoping its a food allergy and not something awful like teeth problems or a UTI. She peed out of her box and threw up a few times this morning. :(

I went on yelp to get my vet's number and see one review that's like five paragraphs long and includes gems like "the vet was dressed up in surgical garb like some gay fashion model??!! :byodood:"

This town, man, this town :allears:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

ladyweapon posted:

I went on yelp to get my vet's number and see one review that's like five paragraphs long and includes gems like "the vet was dressed up in surgical garb like some gay fashion model??!! :byodood:"

What do... what do they think vets do??? :confused:

edit: vvv Good point. :psyduck:

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 21, 2012

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Skizzles posted:

What do... what do they think vets do??? :confused:
I'm more confused about what they think gay fashion models do.

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

We found Oliver! I found out no one put food in his bowl, so I hooked him up then went about my business tidying up and going through pictures for the service. I heard *crunch crunch crunch* and there he was. He started to run into the closet when he saw me, but as long as I kept a respectful distance he was OK.

The bad news is the hospice nurse who took my grandmother's dog called my mother last night saying she's bringing him back because her dog isn't getting along with him. She had him for, like, half a day. (Her dog is some sort of toy breed and my grandmother's dog is a yorkie/poodle mix.)

So now we have 2 problem animals to re-home. :thumbsup:

P.S. Here is my mother typing an email with her bratty Bengal. Zeus makes the best faces.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Rixatrix posted:

I'm more confused about what they think gay fashion models do.
My vet is a well-groomed, handsome man which is basically bulletproof evidence of gayness. Or scrubs are going to be in for spring '13.

Tallulah is scheduled for 4PM today. Its the soonest same-day appointment that they had. I secluded her in the bathroom with her bed and a bowl of water and shes giving me the biggest "WHAT DID I DO DO YOU NOT LOVE ME WHY AM I IN HERE :qq:" face. Ugh, cat, its for your own good. Now that I'm full of guilt, I'm going to go get her some wet food from the store that doesn't have chicken or turkey in it.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

ladyweapon posted:

Or scrubs are going to be in for spring '13.

oh I hope so...

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
I'm just going to leave this here. Maybe this is the day we can end the debate and recognize the clear superiority of the feline species.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyXJ1sAQtaY

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Hey Super! You know that big long pibble DA rant? Can I quote you on it and talk about it on my blog? You put a lot of stuff SO WELL that I can never think how to put right.

Citizen Rat posted:

The issue with primitive/spitz breeds isn't that they hate you. They just think they know better than you do. (Which, occasionally, is true. They are kinda terrifyingly intelligent dogs.)

THIS! Especially with sledding breeds that were bred to work in groups, the dogs still absolutely LOVE you. They'll totally do what you want them to, only if it doesn't conflict with something they'd rather do instead. That's why NILIF/being creative with rewards is such an effective way to train.

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 21, 2012

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Speaking of stuff needed for blogs, would anyone who's helped their aggressive/reactive dog with clicker training mind sharing their stories for a post I'm working on about the misconception that clicker training can't help aggression?

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I thought I was repackaging donated ceramics for my cat rescue's table at the farmer's market.

Erlend thought I'd made him a nest.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm afraid I think he's right. Maybe you should start wrapping him up as well. :3:

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Skizzles posted:

Speaking of stuff needed for blogs, would anyone who's helped their aggressive/reactive dog with clicker training mind sharing their stories for a post I'm working on about the misconception that clicker training can't help aggression?

I'm not sure I have a good, concise story that I can share. For a long time, I used a clicker during reactivity training to catch even the quickest, most subtle signs of eye contact from Psyche when we were asking her to do very difficult things, like heel in reactive dog class. I also used it for classical conditioning. I would say that it was very successful in moving me to the next stage where I needed to build duration because she had learned the game (and calmed down enough to play it) where she would look, get her reward, and then immediately bounce her attention back to the stimulus and start exploding all over again. Then I needed to put the clicker aside and be more patient, because I was reacting without thinking and neglecting to raise the criteria (took me months and being yelled at by Brenda Aloff to finally kick this habit, btw).

To be honest, I don't use the clicker much anymore for reactivity work. I use a marker word and other body language/pressure cues. I still bring out the clicker for shaping and other training that requires precise timing. Which is not to say that clickers are not good for reactivity work, it just depends on the dog and handler. I really like the book Click to Calm by Emma Parsons. And of course, clicker or marker word, it's all positive training, which is indispensable for reactive dogs. Oddly, though, in Psyche's case, it seems like we made more progress using pressure on/off techniques than we ever did trying to pair food with stimuli to change her emotional response*.

Sorry to ramble. If you're looking for anything in particular, I've probably tried it!

*Funny story, of course I've spent a LOT of time stuffing Psyche's face when something 'bad' would come by to try and associate it with the good food. When just under threshold, Psyche would eat the food, but continue to growl. This, as you can imagine, was really comical. So new people, horrified by her behavior at first, would burst out laughing when she starting growling at them while eating at the same time...NOM NOM grrrrr NOM grr NOM

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

WolfensteinBag posted:

Hey Super! You know that big long pibble DA rant? Can I quote you on it and talk about it on my blog? You put a lot of stuff SO WELL that I can never think how to put right.

Of course! :3:

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

So I bought a puppy.

Momma dog got to show us city folk how it's done.

He'll be here on Wednesday :neckbeard: I'm fairly sure the Lapponians will die of resentment. (Image hosting mine.)

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Hahahahahaha the long suffering expression is amazing.

Adorable pup! :3:

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
This afternoon my friend complained to me that her Australian shepherd tries to herd herself/her boyfriend/their cats. Its.. a herding dog, thats what its entire purpose in life is? :confused:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
If I ever hear someone complain about their herder herding, their scenthound sniffing, or their retriever retrieving, I'm probably just going to smack them.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

ladyweapon posted:

This afternoon my friend complained to me that her Australian shepherd tries to herd herself/her boyfriend/their cats. Its.. a herding dog, thats what its entire purpose in life is? :confused:
I would complain too if my dog tried to herd people or cats, or anything else inappropriate. (Or I probably wouldn't complain, rather I'd do some training.) It's like any other breed-specific trait or tendency: you can't train it out or expect it to disappear completely, but you can and should train the dog so it comes up in appropriate places.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Skizzles posted:

If I ever hear someone complain about their herder herding, their scenthound sniffing, or their retriever retrieving, I'm probably just going to smack them.

My mom gets really mad all the time that her puppy won't pay attention to her on walks because "all he wants to do is smell everything." Well, yeah. :geno:

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Rixatrix posted:

I would complain too if my dog tried to herd people or cats, or anything else inappropriate. (Or I probably wouldn't complain, rather I'd do some training.) It's like any other breed-specific trait or tendency: you can't train it out or expect it to disappear completely, but you can and should train the dog so it comes up in appropriate places.

I wouldn't bitch if they planned on appropriately training the dog. She complains about the dog all the time, but neither of them will put in the effort to train the dog. v:shobon:v

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I have the opposite complaint. My lab mix is terrified of water and rain. He looks absolutely pitiful when we go to the beach, it's the silliest thing. He also isn't derfy or goofy. Don't know if I'd want that but it's just weird when you've got a half-lab that actually listens to you and is not wanting to make friends with everything and is calm.

He also doesn't counter-surf which, to me, is weird.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

demozthenes posted:

The pug that I grew up with was the same way and while she was always funny, it got really frustrating when I needed her to come when called and I didn't happen to have food in my hand. Her gently caress-You Side Eye was legendary. I'm fine with this behavior from my cat because she is a cat but when I have to deal with a dog I'm just like, "Hey cut it out, you are a dog, just go fetch this tennis ball or whatever like you're supposed to." It bums me out because I think bone-mouth Peis and salukis are awesome-looking dogs, but I doubt I'd ever own either one without turning into a giant crybaby every time my own dog ignored me.

I'm kinda confused as to why a pug would give you a blow off. I thought they were a companion breed and the entire point of a companion breed was to be glued to you 24/7?

Also it sounds like you should have a lab. A lab will fetch that tennis ball until your arm falls off. And then it will fetch your arm.

quote:

My old neighbors had a beautiful red husky bitch that I would occasionally borrow and take for runs, though, and it was a great motivator to have a dog that lives to run. Plus the neighbors loved that their dog finally stopped screaming and chewing the baseboards once she got some exercise. They are so soft and beautiful and :3: but I don't think I could deal with one full-time. Every city should have a Rent-A-Husky program for runners.

That would be a hilarious business model.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Nione posted:

I'm just going to leave this here. Maybe this is the day we can end the debate and recognize the clear superiority of the feline species.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyXJ1sAQtaY

That video's amazing. Hurray for science! :science:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

You guys, I'm about to try to bathe the stray cat I'm taking care of. He smells like poo poo and feels like he is made of dirt and grease- I just waited until I was positive we were definitely buds before I attempted it. I already sort of tentatively held him near water to see how he would react and as soon as it touched his body he was like NOPE, bit me (not enough to break the skin, just a gently caress you let me go bite) and started turning inside out.

How do I go about this? Why can't you just give a cat a Stern Look and have it accept its fate like you can a dog. :ohdear:

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Superconsndar posted:

How do I go about this? Why can't you just give a cat a Stern Look and have it accept its fate like you can a dog. :ohdear:
Can you use a dry shampoo on it? Otherwise, I just put a harness and leash on my cat, secure them to the tub and very slowly pour water over them with a cup.

necessary voodoo
Nov 4, 2010
Do you have a collar you can put on it? I find having that as an easy handle can be helpful when trying to bathe a particularly wiggly catte.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Superconsndar posted:

You guys, I'm about to try to bathe the stray cat I'm taking care of. He smells like poo poo and feels like he is made of dirt and grease- I just waited until I was positive we were definitely buds before I attempted it. I already sort of tentatively held him near water to see how he would react and as soon as it touched his body he was like NOPE, bit me (not enough to break the skin, just a gently caress you let me go bite) and started turning inside out.

Yeah get a collar or harness on him so you can control the situation safely (mostly yours).

You're going to have better luck with just a bucket of water, a cup to pour water on him with, a towel, and some cleaning gloves. Just have the cat in the tub/sink/whatever with no water and put a towel down for him to stand on, it will give him something to grip onto. The rest just try to go as quickly and gently as possible. USUALLY they'll just give up half way through and look miserable and make a few weak attempts at escape. You're going to probably need to commit one hand to holding him the entire time, so keep that in mind.

The gloves are to give you some amount of protection from the brunt of teeth and claws and cat fear.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

quote:

1) First …. dress for the occasion. A 4-ply rubber wet suit is suggested, along with a helmet, face mask and welders gloves.

2) A Bathtub with a glass enclosure is preferred to the one with a shower curtain. A frenzied cat can shred one of these in about 3.5 seconds.

3) Have the Kitty Bubbles and towel in the enclosed bathtub area beforehand. No… blow drying the cat after the bath is not suggested.

4) Draw the water, making it a little warmer than needed as you still need to find the cat. Position everything strategically in the shower, so you can reach it even if you are face down or prone in the tub.

5) Find your cat. Use the element of surprise. Pick the cat up, nonchalantly as if you were simply carrying him/her to the supper dish. No need to worry about the cat noticing your strange attire, the cat barely notices you anyway.

6) Once you and the cat are inside the bathroom speed is essential. In one single liquid motion shut the door to the bathroom, step into the shower, close the sliding doors, and drop the cat into the water. While the cat is still in a state of shock locate the Kitty Bubbles and squirt whatever part of him is above the water line. You have just begun the wildest 45 seconds of your life. Remember that cats have no handles and add the fact that he now has soapy fur. His state of shock has worn off and he’s madder than hell.

7) As best, you can, wearing welder’s gloves, try to field his body as he
catapults through the air toward the ceiling. If possible, give another
squirt of Kitty Bubbles with his body now fully exposed.

During the 5 seconds you are able to hold onto him, rub vigorously. No need to worry about rinsing. As he slides down the glass enclosure into the tub, he will fall back into the water, rinsing himself in the process.

9) Only attempt the lather and rinse process about 3 times. The cat will
realize the lack of traction on the glass by then and will use the next
attempt on the first available part of you.

10) Next, the cat must be dried. No, this is NOT the easiest part. By this stage, you are worn out and the cat has just become semi-permanently affixed to your right leg. We suggest here that you drain the tub and in full view of your cat, reach for the bottle of Kitty Bubbles.

11) If you have done step 10 correctly, the cat will be off your leg and
hanging precariously from your helmet. Although this view of the cat is most disgusting, he will be in a much better position for wrapping the towel around him.

12) Be sure cat is firmly wrapped in towel before opening tub enclosure.
Open bathroom door …. put towel-wrapped cat on floor and step back
quickly. Into tub, if possible, and do not open enclosure until all you can
see is the shredded towel.

13) In about 2 hours …. it will be safe to exit the bathroom. Your cat
will be sitting out there somewhere looking like a small hedgehog while
plotting revenge. But doesn’t he smell better?

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Arthur says "hi"

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Bagheera is the nicest kitty in the world. He was sitting behind me on the windowsill as I was reading in bed. A few minutes after I'd settled back into the pillows, he made this little "mmmrow" sound. Turns out I was squishing his poor tail which was between the 2 pillows. I sat up and he just flipped his tail up and went right back to watching the moths fluttering against the glass. It was just so polite it cracked me up.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Abbeh posted:

Arthur says "hi"

Hi Arthur! :3:

I got to wash mayonnaise off a cat earlier today. That was certainly a Thing.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I just bought Gary one of those chuck-it things, that you use to throw the tennis ball? We took it to the park and he decided it was amazing. He fetched until he was basically dying because there was a mini schnauzer there who also wanted the ball, and there was no way he was letting it have his ball!

Today was a day of victories because I found a new pet store that sells Artemis, Evo and a bunch of other premium foods. I got Artemis Small Breed for Gary, plus some Black Hawk for the cats, and some cat litter, and these cardboard boxes that fit together into a jungle gym, and some joint support tablets, for under $100.

Here is a picture of my long-suffering dawg and foster cats, (yes they're still in foster, the rescue is having so much trouble moving their black cats :( They're having a Halloween special soon and getting a professional photographer).

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Superconsndar posted:

In all seriousness, because I have to bathe our younger cat once/month when she decides to play in the poop (yeah...)
Fill basin-style sink (kitchen or laundry-room, something deep) with about 2-3 inches of water. Add in shampoo/soap of choice (I use dawn dish detergent, just a tiny bit in the water per advice from both vet and groomer). When you get the cat scruffed, pick him up, get the water running lukewarm, and just loving get'er done. A glove on the washing hand can be useful if claws are flying around too much. Just scrub/rub and then rinse and then try your best to towel him/her dry and realize poo poo this thing is angry and let a wet cat run around.
They will forgive you...in time :P

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I have recently been reading this WONDERFUL novel by one of my favorite authors, William S. Burroughs, called The Cat Inside. It's sort of semi-autobiographical but rather rambling, like many of his books, and is just full of delightful turns of phrase concerning cats and their nature - among other things.

For instance, regarding what services a cat might actually provide for its owner: “The cat does not offer services. The cat offers itself.” So very true.

Or here, he theorizes about the origin of the cat-as-companion: “Evidence indicates that cats were first tamed in Egypt. The Egyptians stored grain, which attracted rodents, which attracted cats. (No evidence that such a thing happened with the Mayans, though a number of wild cats are native to the area.) I don't think this is accurate. It is certainly not the whole story. Cats didn't start as mousers. Weasels and snakes and dogs are more efficient as rodent-control agents. I postulate that cats started as psychic companions, as Familiars, and have never deviated from this function.”

I find that fascinating, and probably absolutely correct. Cats have never been particularly functional when it comes to efficiently accomplishing tasks on behalf of humans - it's not as if one can really make a cat do things the same way as a dog. So why were cats kept by ancient Egyptians, and indeed worshiped? As Burroughs states, because they have always been a human Familiar. Which is an incredibly peculiar occupation for any species to take up on such a global scale, when you stop to think about it in the Darwinian sense.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

the rescue is having so much trouble moving their black cats :(

I really don't get why people don't like black cats. I think they're lovely. The black always seems to make their eyes really stand out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I know right... They slink through my house unnoticed (except for the constant chirrups) and I hardly ever kick them in the dark!

They also have trouble moving the darker torties.. Oddly enough, that's what my other cat is. We're a bit of a halfway-house here.

• Locked thread