Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Saga posted:

I wheelie everywhere with my headlight on low-beam. I feel this is an excellent compromise and to judge by the enthusiastic waving of fists from cars going in the other direction, other motorists agree!
Any other answer than this is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
In Sydney these days there seems to be an epidemic of really poorly-aimed headlights. They should make it part of our yearly roadworthy checks which are done before registration. So often when driving I am blinded by oncoming cars or cars following me, and then I realise they don't even have their high beams on. Often it will just be one light which is dazzling. I'm not even sure how this happens, it's not like putting a new bulb in moves the headlight housing so I can only guess people are replacing their own headlights with wrecker parts due to breakage or foggy lenses and not paying any attention to the aim.

Someone pointed out to me recently though that cabbies deliberately aim their kerbside headlight high because it better illuminates house numbers etc. They have loving spotlights on the sides of their roof specifically for this purpose though so I would love to see cops throwing the book at the shitheads.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't think it's poorly aimed headlights, I think it's that every shithead and his dog had HID lights these days. Hate those loving things.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I don't think it's poorly aimed headlights, I think it's that every shithead and his dog had HID lights these days. Hate those loving things.

They're also illegal to put on if the car didn't originally come with them right? Or is that just Cali.

People still do it anyways, but I had a friend get a fix-it ticket for his just tacked on top of speeding.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Nah, there are definitely plenty of poorly-aimed standard headlights on all sorts of very plain cars. You can usually spot the HID fuckwits because aside from the lights being blinding, for some reason they all seem to have a hardon for the disgustingly high colour temperature burners.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Here4DaGangBang posted:

In Sydney these days there seems to be an epidemic of really poorly-aimed headlights. They should make it part of our yearly roadworthy checks which are done before registration. So often when driving I am blinded by oncoming cars or cars following me, and then I realise they don't even have their high beams on. Often it will just be one light which is dazzling. I'm not even sure how this happens, it's not like putting a new bulb in moves the headlight housing so I can only guess people are replacing their own headlights with wrecker parts due to breakage or foggy lenses and not paying any attention to the aim.

Someone pointed out to me recently though that cabbies deliberately aim their kerbside headlight high because it better illuminates house numbers etc. They have loving spotlights on the sides of their roof specifically for this purpose though so I would love to see cops throwing the book at the shitheads.

It's not just Sydney, it's everywhere (and it is part of the yearly MOT test in the UK). My particular favourite are the ones who have one broken light so put the other on high beam because thats the same isn't it?

Bondematt posted:

They're also illegal to put on if the car didn't originally come with them right? Or is that just Cali.

People still do it anyways, but I had a friend get a fix-it ticket for his just tacked on top of speeding.

In the UK they're illegal on cars that don't have automatic levelling and lens washing systems. Again, doesn't stop people though.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Bondematt posted:

Same in Florida, as well. Blue lights are off-limits too; but that doesn't stop people. I see them with HID's and the nauseatingly bright blue ones enough to know that it isn't strictly enforced.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

For the first time in the 7 months I've been riding I had my first close call yesterday. I was riding along a two lane road, ~55 mph. Approach a line of about 6 cars coming the other direction and a SUV, second in the line, pulled out to pass. They didn't see me. I began emergency braking and downshifting while pulling towards the right shoulder. He had time to get back in front before I would have had to ride off to the right into the grass.

Lost my mind for a bit, turned around and started chasing them to pull them from the car and beat them. I calmed down before I caught up, and turned back around.

My heart is racing just thinking about it typing this.

Right about here in the right lane, eastbound.

http://bit.ly/QtnCLh

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Wulframn posted:

Good post

The proper use of your brights (high-beams, whatever) is a completely lost art. I speak to my peers these days and it's the same stuff from everyone:

You keep them on all day to increase your visibility
    You keep them at all times at night so you can see further
    You flash them when someone pisses you off
    You flash them to signal a cop ahead

And other such nonsense. Your brights exist for one primary reason: to increase the distance at which you can see at night or in limited visibility situations. These situations exclude dust/sand storms, blizzards, heavy rain and/or fog. You would do better to simply use your low beams rather than have your hi-beams bounce off the dust/sand/rain/sleet/snow/fog back into your face.

You may use your brights at night when there are no vehicles within a reasonable distance in front of you and there are no oncoming cars at virtually any distance at which you can see them coming. If you even remotely suspect that you may be blinding or distracting them with your brights you probably are; turn them the gently caress off.

You may flash your brights around other cars, at night, if you need clarification on a potential hazard or emergency situation arising. Example: a car is oncoming or nearby in front of you but you suddenly notice a shadow moving near the edge of the road. Is it a deer? A dog? A person? Flash those brights, get an idea, and then turn them back off asap. You'd better have a good excuse to do this; especially when you find out that oncoming car you just flashed was a cop and he's u-turning to pull you over for blinding him suddenly or, god-forbid, because he thought you were trying to signal him that there was another cop behind you to watch for. (I grew up in the forest where we ocassionally needed to do this to avoid deer. In a city you should never do this, it's bright enough and there are no deer.)

You should not use your brights as a signal to other drivers that there is a cop ahead (of them, or behind you) they need to look for. Many serious criminals are caught as a matter of a routine traffic stop: Timothy McVeigh and Ted Bundy are two excellent examples.

Sometimes it is acceptable to use your brights to signal someone or catch their attention if you need to make them aware of a hazard or even yourself. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, if I suspect someone doesn't notice me behind them I will quickly flash my brights, during the day, (at night my low beam does this by default) in their outside rear-view mirror once. This has been very effective.

Sorry for the lecture; but I often have people get behind me with their brights on or drive into my face with their brights. Actually, one night I was out riding and had some idiot with their brights on behind me and a whole string of traffic, save one or two people, oncoming with their damned brights on, too. I ended up having to navigate by using the fog-line to get to a place where I could safely pull over and let people pass me since I was basically blind. Misuse of the high-beams is a pet-peeve of mine.
Now come on, tell us how you really feel.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

nsaP posted:

Now come on, tell us how you really feel.

My keyboard was broken that night so I only got around to a brief, two minute comment. :saddowns:

Next time I'll be sure to neglect proper spacing and such and you can enjoy wall-o'-text with no punctuation. :hfive:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
While riding like a dong around my favourite bit of coast road I came around a bend to find a Rental car almost stopped in the road, stuck behind a blatantly unfit couple on push bikes, riding at less than walking pace, two abreast. I might have made the stop but as I was starting to stand it up on the brakes I noticed the oncoming lane was empty and used that momentum to swerve around them. Scared the absolute poo poo out of me.

Lesson learned, make a slow run of the road before pushing it.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

ReelBigLizard posted:

Lesson learned, make a slow run of the road before pushing it.

Exactly this. I was riding on a road that I usually hit 3 times a week because no one is on it and it's always in great shape. Last weekend I started out at a much quicker pace than usual and turned a corner into a bunch of sand/gravel randomly scattered on the road. Apparently the few houses that are there were having their driveways done. Wobbled a bit and was able to keep upright, but I definitely learned to scope out the terrain first.

PapaLazarou
May 11, 2008

Decadent Federation Swine!
Couple of weeks ago, I was going down a mostly empty straight road at night, just having pulled out of the gas station. In the midst of fiddling with the choke, I feel a incredible jolt, handlebars wildly side to side, but it self corrects and I'm able to pull over.

Turns out I had hit an inkjet printer in the middle of the road. Should probably keep my eyes on the pavement.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I saw "something in the road" coming, but fuckin :lol: at a printer. Glad you stayed upright!

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

AncientTV posted:

I saw "something in the road" coming, but fuckin :lol: at a printer. Glad you stayed upright!

Hitting a printer and staying upright is a whole new level of proficiency in my humble opinion. :thumbsup: I know I would have hit the asphalt in that situation.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Probably fell off the back of some other goon's car as he was driving to the home of a girl he likes.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Probably fell off the back of some other goon's car as he was driving to the home of a girl he likes.

Haha immediately thought of the episode of the Simpsons where Homer tries to send an S.O.S. fax as he drives off the end of the pier.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wulframn posted:

Hitting a printer and staying upright is a whole new level of proficiency in my humble opinion. :thumbsup: I know I would have hit the asphalt in that situation.

I hit a stacking metal/plastic chair on a steel grate bridge once. I thought for sure I was going to die, as it was heavy traffic and I had school buses on both sides. The metal-grate bridge was already about 80% of the way to "I'm just going to flop over and die" stability-wise, then bam chair in the road.

Gyroscopic stability is a marvelous thing, as is just realizing you're going to die, so you don't do anything stupid like react and so the bike just sorts itself out.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Gyroscopic stability is a marvelous thing, as is just realizing you're going to die, so you don't do anything stupid like react and so the bike just sorts itself out.

Significantly less pants-making GBS threads, but I hit a manhole that was raised about 2" above grade, and I didn't hit it straight on the other day. The bike wiggled a little under me, and then sorted itself out.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor
Before I started riding I used to wonder how motorcycles worked and why someone would ride them. I used to say, like many other non-riders, that they were simply dangerous on the most basic level and physically unstable, etc.

Of course, I wasn't using my brain then. Some would argue - actually quite a lot do - that I'm not using my brain now that I do ride a bike. However, now that I do ride I pay attention to the physics going on under and around me, I read a lot of safety and recreational motorcycle books and material, and I practice safety techniques and scenarios weekly. Actually, I find myself growing ever more impressed with how much the bike will recover from virtually any form of dumb-fuckery you feed into it provided you don't panic once you realize you've messed up.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Welp, I'm back again :downs:

Today it bucketed down with rain from dawn to dusk. Lighting, howling wind, the whole show. So a friend and I, being the idiots we are, decided to wrap up and go for a spin; Him on a street-fightered GSXR-750 SRAD, me on the 690 SMC. The roads were strewn with poo poo; leaves, twigs, mud and gravel washed around from random flash floods.

He was taking it really easy, the bike was squirming on some of the corners and I think his suspension set up is hosed or non existent. The KTM is pretty stable in the wet, especially with the sticky front on, so I was pushing it to a certain extent.

Well I pushed it too hard. "Tarmac still has like 80% of the grip in the wet as it does in the dry" I'm thinking. "You usually take this corner at 35+, so 25 will be totally cool right?".

Wrong. Within a blink of an eye I was in an opposite lock slide around the whole loving corner and more through shock and terror than skill I kept the throttle open and the bike just sorted itself out.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
80% is perfect world, which rarely translates into the real world. Are your tires still grooved like new, was the road surface uniform and in good condition, was this the first rain in a while? All of those will change the Coefficient of Friction by a significant amount.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Actually the road on that corner is in great condition, it's been raining on and off all weekend and my tires have great tread. I'm pretty sure I just rolled on too much throttle because I was getting cocky.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

ReelBigLizard posted:

Welp, I'm back again :downs:

Today it bucketed down with rain from dawn to dusk. Lighting, howling wind, the whole show. So a friend and I, being the idiots we are, decided to wrap up and go for a spin; Him on a street-fightered GSXR-750 SRAD, me on the 690 SMC. The roads were strewn with poo poo; leaves, twigs, mud and gravel washed around from random flash floods.

He was taking it really easy, the bike was squirming on some of the corners and I think his suspension set up is hosed or non existent. The KTM is pretty stable in the wet, especially with the sticky front on, so I was pushing it to a certain extent.

Well I pushed it too hard. "Tarmac still has like 80% of the grip in the wet as it does in the dry" I'm thinking. "You usually take this corner at 35+, so 25 will be totally cool right?".

Wrong. Within a blink of an eye I was in an opposite lock slide around the whole loving corner and more through shock and terror than skill I kept the throttle open and the bike just sorted itself out.

East coaster? I got caught out last night, it wasn't so bad cause I was wearing my jacket with liner and it was warm(er) out here in SE PA, but after a while the water reached my nuts and it went from tolerable to "oh god just get me home" for the last 5 minutes of my 40 minute trip. Also the hail sometimes found gaps in my armor, which in turn I found unpleasant.

Malcontent
Dec 26, 2004
Herb is the healing of a nation. Alchohal is the destruction.
I was hoping to not have to post in any of these threads, but I finally got to test out my bikes new rear tire/breaks, I was heading down the freeway and realized I was about to miss my exit, seeing a big gap in traffic I signal and pull into. I was not expecting some guy in a hatchback to be parked on the side median and decide to pull out into the same gap. I came within inches of nailing his front end at about 45 and I'm just glad I recently replaced my balding rear tire and non existent rear brake pads/warped rotor and apparently my recent emergency brake practice helped. The guy of course gave me the what the gently caress arm gesture/look.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

ReelBigLizard posted:

Actually the road on that corner is in great condition, it's been raining on and off all weekend and my tires have great tread. I'm pretty sure I just rolled on too much throttle because I was getting cocky.

Good for you for staying on the throttle and the bike. Wet weather has a bit of a habit of throwing all kinds of slippery patches in your path. Don't think for a second the grip is as even as on dry, because for me most of my 'oh poo poo' moments are on the 'safe' parts of the road in the wet.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Not even close :)

KARMA! posted:

Good for you for staying on the throttle and the bike. Wet weather has a bit of a habit of throwing all kinds of slippery patches in your path. Don't think for a second the grip is as even as on dry, because for me most of my 'oh poo poo' moments are on the 'safe' parts of the road in the wet.

Eh, it could have been a diesel patch or something. In any case I would have been fine if I had been less of a dong and slowed down.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Here's another from me that I just remembered.

A while back I was rolling around town going to one of the local doughnut shops and there are a lot of dense wooded sections inside the town since a river cuts through the town and the city likes to look pretty with all the trees etc.

So I take a turn and as I'm coming out of it a deer jumps out of the treeline and right into my path. Luckily I had just come out of the turn and leveled out so it wasn't too much of a problem to brake but I was literally close enough to pet the thing as I rolled on by. It was one of the little ones too, poor thing probably got separated from its family.

Since then though I take that turn a lot more cautiously. I'd never even seen a deer that far into town before much less had one hop out on the road and that could have gotten really nasty really quick if I had been mid-turn when that thing hopped out at me.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

ReelBigLizard posted:

This is probably just the KTM being so Ready To Race(TM) that it's taking matters into its own hands. Are you satisfying its natural appetites for backing it in? Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if it's sneaking out at night at popping wheelies while you're not looking.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Does it count as a near miss if I sort of caused a crash tonight? Well, someone else's idiocy and hatred of bikes caused the crash, I was merely the catalyst.

It was at this junction on my ride home, heading east and looking to turn right in pretty heavy traffic. I was therefore filtering (lane splitting) on the centreline of the middle of those three pairs of lanes, roughly where the centre of that bus at the junction is at. There was a bus in the left lane and a big van at the front of the right-hand lane, leaving a gap too small for me to fit through to get to the front (the front-right corner of the bus was about 12 inches from the back-right corner of the van), and a blue Astra was on my right hand side.

When the light turned green the van moved off first and (as I wanted to be in the right-hand lane of the road I was turning into, as there's a bus stop on the left) I went to nip into the gap between him and the Astra as we moved into the junction (which is a bit dodgy, I know) and as I did a lifesaver was astonished to see the wing of the Astra pretty much in the crook of my knee - I've never seen a car that close while I've been moving, and he was less than six inches from the back of the van. I got into the gap to my left instead (I knew we'd already passed the car and bus in the left lane) and at the same time the van came off the throttle (didn't even brake) because someone was running across the road at the exit to the junction), and the Astra smacked right into the back of him.

We all pulled over and Astra man was out of his car and running at me before I got off the bike, literally screaming in my face about how I'd cut him up and made him hit the van and loving bikes always trying to loving push in. I was still buzzing from the adrenaline and just sort of went "buuuuuhhh" back at him.

The van driver was pretty chill about it and pulled the guy away from me, just as a police car pulled up (as you can see that road is right next to Limehouse nick). The bus driver also wandered up from the bus stop (all of this had literally taken no more than 45 seconds from the light going green). The police took statements from, and breathalysed everyone (and I overheard them confirming with CCTV control that the cameras at the junction had caught it all). From what they (and the bus and van drivers) said I'm absolutely in the clear (I know that I am of course, but I've been hosed over by insurance companies "negotiating" before), and Astra man is likely - once the black rats have looked at the CCTV and statements - to get at least due care and attention and possibly dangerous driving.

To be honest I don't know what I'd done if the van driver hadn't been so chill (or if Plod hadn't turned up when they did, making it now only the second time in my entire life I've been happy to see them), the Astra driver was loving mental. Also a great reminder of why they're called "lifesavers".

Well I just got a very nice call from the Police telling me that they were not reporting me for an offence (which I was certain would be the case but still, you never know) and that the car driver is being prosecuted for driving without due care and attention. They had wanted to charge him with dangerous driving but weren't sure it would stick, whereas DCA is pretty much proven by the fact he ran into the back of the van. Just need my insurance to confirm that they've told the bloke to get hosed too and I'm sorted.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

ArbitraryTA posted:

Luckily I had just come out of the turn and leveled out so it wasn't too much of a problem to brake but I was literally close enough to pet the thing as I rolled on by. It was one of the little ones too, poor thing probably got separated from its family.

Woah woah woah woah woah woah....now you're new here so it's okay, everybody gets one. Sympathy for deer is not allowed, available emotions that you can have for them include: anger, contempt, hatred, disapproval, animosity, disgust, or personally I go with seething rage. If you continue to feel anything but these for these "poor thing" road rats you can just :frogout:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

nsaP posted:

Woah woah woah woah woah woah....now you're new here so it's okay, everybody gets one. Sympathy for deer is not allowed, available emotions that you can have for them include: anger, contempt, hatred, disapproval, animosity, disgust, or personally I go with seething rage. If you continue to feel anything but these for these "poor thing" road rats you can just :frogout:

I wholeheartedly agree with the above statement. Mainly because of this:

Deer can kindly :fuckoff:

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

nsaP posted:

+1

Seriously, I grew up in the forest (a real forest, not one of those wooded sections of town or some poo poo) and my entire childhood was spent seeing deer on an almost daily basis: running across the street, digging through our trash, making a general nuisance of themselves. Then, every year, some twig boys let their girlfriends talk them into leaving the concrete womb that is the city they were born and raised in. They come out to the Fish and Wildlife office and complain that if we don't stop torturing and killing deer (hunting) they're going to starve themselves for some indeterminate amount of time so every year the office issues less permits to keep twig boys from starving; which ultimately results in evolution failing us on multiple levels. :smith:

I haven't had a run-in with a deer on my bike yet, because now I live in town. I'm a little afraid to cruise through the forest on my bike because I know how bad it can be out there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ah, just last night I was riding home on a fairly deserted road, slowing down for a stop sign ahead, when this weird shadowy thing kind of floated by near the intersection. I got on the brakes and squinted and saw a fawn, about the size of a large dog, wandering across the road. It walked up to the shoulder and then stopped and stared at me as I pulled up beside it. I turned the bars to flash it with my headlamp and revved the engine and it jumped and took off into the forest.

nsaP-approved emotion: disapproval

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Snowdens Secret posted:

This is probably just the KTM being so Ready To Race(TM) that it's taking matters into its own hands. Are you satisfying its natural appetites for backing it in? Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if it's sneaking out at night at popping wheelies while you're not looking.

poo poo you might be right, maybe I'm not taking care of her needs :ohdear:

I mean I take her all around town and give her the best 10W60 money can (just about) buy. I know I get her engine revving all the way to the limit pretty regular but maybe that's not enough...

I'll change baby, I promise!

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
That map CLEARLY shows that you're near the Jersey Shore.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Coasting down a hill into work a Wasp got into my jacket and worked its way under my shirt and stung me, over my heart.

At the same time an 18 wheeler was coming up the hill and as I pulled into the parking lot, a box truck tried to reverse over top of me, all while I can feel the loving wasp buzzing around inside my shirt, lusting after my tender flesh.

Coasted the bike to a stop, kicked the stand down, jumped off and proceeded to do a loving panic dance while stripping gear off of me. :supaburn:

The whole office was roaring with laughter at me. :smith:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
The SUV of death tried to come for me today. I'm usually very careful not to get alongside SUV's or cars, but I was in traffic and didn't have a choice. I was even with the front fender and she had been behind me so she knew I was there. She merged into my lane with no blinker and no warning. I jumped the curb slowed down and hopped back off behind her while laying on my horn and giving her the finger. She really almost got me.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Christ. Serious boner moment here, and not in the good way. It's beautiful today, so I figured a brisk ride though some back roads was in order. I was coming into this turn here https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=204807765806864099705.0004cb52fb8ea64e2c7da south at probably just a little lower than 60 when I felt the back end start stepping out on me.,Meanwhile, there's a van with a line of traffic behind it about to enter the turn. The bike started to do this weird wobble where I could feel it start to slip, it got pretty bad like it wanted to throw me. I managed to stay on throttle which I hope helped, but in the end I went over the center and just missed the van. I really thought I was going to lose it and smash head on into it.

Obviously, I need to slow the gently caress down. I'm kicking myself pretty hard, why do I always have to push it? I can't say I saw my life pass before my eyes but I thought I was dead.

What the hell was that wobble though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Did you ride over a tar snake or a painted line while leaned over or something? Those can get you all out of shape.

• Locked thread