Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

When was /usr ever put on tape drives? Tape drives are poo poo slow for random access, and /usr is mostly used in a random-access fashion. Network mounted, sure.
Well, if we're going all the way back to the earliest Unix heritage, the PDP-7 that was used for the development of Unix supported either tape or floppy disk, but not hard drives (they were still too large and too expensive). PDP-7 actually booted off of paper tape.

You have to remember that for a very long time, computers were used for batch processing. Interactivity didn't become a thing until the late 1970s.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

When was /usr ever put on tape drives? Tape drives are poo poo slow for random access, and /usr is mostly used in a random-access fashion. Network mounted, sure.

Fairly often, according to coworkers.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Honestly the Rob Landley explanation makes the most sense.

Rob Landley was mostly joking, there. I'm sort of surprised at how often that mail is quoted as truth.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

At least in "modern" usage, /bin and /usr/bin are binaries used by non-privileged users are stored, whereas /sbin and /usr/sbin are where binaries intended for use by the superuser (root) are stored. This is why /bin and /usr/bin are in $PATH for normal users, and /sbin and /usr/sbin are only in $PATH for root.

But /sbin has plenty of binaries that are able to be used by non-superusers, and /bin has plenty of superuser-only binaries. Of course the "statically linked binary" distinction doesn't make sense anymore; most Linux distributions are based around GNU coreutils which links a bunch of the coreutils anyway. It comes from BSD, which is where shared libraries started.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Misogynist posted:

You have to remember that for a very long time, computers were used for batch processing. Interactivity didn't become a thing until the late 1970s.
Sure but, Unix was specifically designed as a time-sharing system. Unless you're referring to limitations of hardware that dated from an earlier era.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Rob Landley was mostly joking, there. I'm sort of surprised at how often that mail is quoted as truth.
Which parts do you dispute?

Given how often that mail is quoted, it's surprising that Ken or someone hasn't disputed/corrected it.

Suspicious Dish posted:

But /sbin has plenty of binaries that are able to be used by non-superusers,
Most binaries in Debian /sbin are not useful to regular users as they have insufficient permission to use them in any useful capacity.

There's a few that can be used by normal users for read-only purposes (e.g., ifconfig), or can be useful in less-than-usual circumstances (e.g., mkfs on a file instead of a block device). But they're generally thought to be programs that regular users shouldn't need to use--which is why they're partitioned, but not permissioned off entirely.

Suspicious Dish posted:

It comes from BSD, which is where shared libraries started.
Fair enough. I was thinking with regard to the Linux FHS specifically, as that's what the original question referred to. File system naming conventions get even more hairy when considering all/other Unix variants.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

So, basically...the Linux file system is a joke?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Depending on your bias, all file hierarchies are jokes. It depends what kind of humour you have. In my experience Linux started out with a very BSD-based hierarchy and moved over to the SysV/Solaris variant over time. Now it seems whenever a distro gets enough clout over the standards process, it introduces its own quirks. I've been using Debian for over a decade and I think /opt is a stupid idea and usually symlink it as quickly as possible. /usr/share has become a horrible Byzantine maze and /var is less and less variable. I had to resize the root partition recently because I was running out of space at over 340MB. /lib is taking up half of that now.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 6, 2012

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

File hierarchy*, but yes. Try out FreeBSD and the directory structure is *insanely* predictable like you wouldn't believe, assuming you stick to the base system + ports.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Thermopyle posted:

C:\Windows is the most logically and coherently organized thing I've ever seen

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

File hierarchy*, but yes. Try out FreeBSD and the directory structure is *insanely* predictable like you wouldn't believe, assuming you stick to the base system + ports.

Oops, yeah...I read file system in the original question and that stuck in my head.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Misogynist posted:

C:\Windows is the most logically and coherently organized thing I've ever seen

I was going to say, while the Linux FS is not terribly consistent, at least it's trying. Coming to Linux from over a decade of being a normal Windows user, it's a breath of fresh air.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's not like third-party programs can put their poo poo wherever the hell they feel like it anyway...

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

The Third Man posted:

I was going to say, while the Linux FS is not terribly consistent, at least it's trying. Coming to Linux from over a decade of being a normal Windows user, it's a breath of fresh air.

:spergin: A filesystem is a method of organizing data (like ext2,3,4, ZFS, UFS, HFS+, etc.). A file hierarchy is a method of organizing the system!

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
My inner pedant is so ashamed right now

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I have a bunch of OpenSuse 11.4 machines at work, and they are having a really weird problem. One of the user accounts is not responding to the "logout" command.
code:
qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer logout 0 0 0
It's not 100% reproducible though. Sometimes the machine responds, sometimes not. Can anyone recommend a good way to troubleshoot this? Thanks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Maybe the mirror is just slow (college that's about 40 miles away, no idea what it's 'internet distance' is) but we have a 50mbs pipe and this netinstall of CentOS 6.3 has been running for almost 2 hours. I chose 'software development workstation'

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

Maybe the mirror is just slow (college that's about 40 miles away, no idea what it's 'internet distance' is) but we have a 50mbs pipe this netinstall of CentOS 6.3 has been running for almost 2 hours. I chose 'software workstation'

But you have no idea what the size of their pipe is. It's almost always better to use kernel.org, easynews, somebody else you know has a ton of bandwidth than "University of QoSes the hell out of downloads from public Linux mirrors when their students/professors are VPNed in doing tons of poo poo".

I'm not sure why you even bothered posting this.

Edit: also, if "we" means you're a business that regularly uses CentOS, use mrepo or something to build a local yum mirror. Jesus.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
What, can't you see the speed it's downing at when doing a netinstall?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

evol262 posted:

But you have no idea what the size of their pipe is. It's almost always better to use kernel.org, easynews, somebody else you know has a ton of bandwidth than "University of QoSes the hell out of downloads from public Linux mirrors when their students/professors are VPNed in doing tons of poo poo".

I'm not sure why you even bothered posting this.

I usually use one from two other schools in the state that mirrors all kinds of stuff and it's very fast - I figured this one would be fast as well.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Holy crap I feel stupid having to ask this:
On a Redhat 5.5 box, how can I disable bind from running, but not uninstall it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

angrytech posted:

Holy crap I feel stupid having to ask this:
On a Redhat 5.5 box, how can I disable bind from running, but not uninstall it?

It should be:

service named stop

or

/etc/init.d/named stop

Then:

chkconfig named off (to keep it from coming on after a reboot)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

I usually use one from two other schools in the state that mirrors all kinds of stuff and it's very fast - I figured this one would be fast as well.
It depends. Schools will sometimes locally peer to with the local dominant (e.g., cable) ISP to support off campus housing, or even on campus housing, where their own network doesn't reach. If you're on the same ISP and not that far away, you may be piggy-backing off that. Same if there's a local PoP. But otherwise commodity Internet links are very expensive and so things like mirror servers will be QoSed, throttled, or quotaed, or all of the above.

This, of course, assumes that the problem isn't that the school's mirror server isn't a circa 1997 400 MHz Alpha box with volumes stored in AFS or something.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Can some one school me on using rdiff-backup?

To do a local backup I am trying:

rdiff-backup --exclude-special-files --include-globbing-filelist /home/patrick/Junk/rdiff-selection / /run/media/patrick/Bucket/rdiff-backup/
code:
/etc
/mnt/Media
- /mnt/Media/lost+found
- /mnt/Shares
- /mnt/Stuff
/mnt/Stuff/Web\ Sites
/home/patrick/
/var/lib/squeezeboxserver
- /
- /bin
- /boot
- /dev
- /lib
- /lib64
- /lost+found
- /media
- /opt
- /proc
- /root
- /run
- /sbin
- /srv
- /sys
- /sys
- /tmp
- /usr
- /var
- /home/lost+found
- /home/patrick/.config/chromium
- /home/patrick/.config/google-chrome
- /home/ryon
This fails in that it is seemingly backing up everything under /. I just want it to backup the items specified without a minus sign.

Also, what is the proper way to run something like this? Some of the stuff in /etc can only be read as root; should I just run it as root? A side effect is that it seems to make all the backup directories/files root:root 0600 which is pretty annoying if I want to browse them in nautilus. The backup disk is encrypted, as rdiff-backup doesn't seem to do that.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Can some one school me on using rdiff-backup?

To do a local backup I am trying:

rdiff-backup --exclude-special-files --include-globbing-filelist /home/patrick/Junk/rdiff-selection / /run/media/patrick/Bucket/rdiff-backup/
code:
/etc
/mnt/Media
- /mnt/Media/lost+found
- /mnt/Shares
- /mnt/Stuff
/mnt/Stuff/Web\ Sites
/home/patrick/
/var/lib/squeezeboxserver
- /
- /bin
- /boot
- /dev
- /lib
- /lib64
- /lost+found
- /media
- /opt
- /proc
- /root
- /run
- /sbin
- /srv
- /sys
- /sys
- /tmp
- /usr
- /var
- /home/lost+found
- /home/patrick/.config/chromium
- /home/patrick/.config/google-chrome
- /home/ryon
This fails in that it is seemingly backing up everything under /. I just want it to backup the items specified without a minus sign.

Also, what is the proper way to run something like this? Some of the stuff in /etc can only be read as root; should I just run it as root? A side effect is that it seems to make all the backup directories/files root:root 0600 which is pretty annoying if I want to browse them in nautilus. The backup disk is encrypted, as rdiff-backup doesn't seem to do that.

Won't the ** catch everything? Considering how much you're excluding why not just dump it?

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
Err, something is suddenly taking up all the space on my home partition. I was playing Dota 2 using Wine and the game crashed, I switched display (Steam runs in it's own X display) and killed it. Now I think some cache or something wasn't cleared because of how it was killed. The partition is now 100% in use, which is ridiculous as it was nowhere near full before. How can I find the files causing this and delete them?

VVV - Thank you. I used Baobab. I'm on XFCE and it didn't require any dependencies whatsoever so it can't require that much of GNOME. It was really helpful and I sorted the problem. For some reason the Team Fortress 2 folder had exploded, which is odd because I've never even launched that game on this Wine prefix.

ArcticZombie fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 16, 2012

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
baobab is the Disk Usage Utility for GNOME (I'm not sure how much of GNOME it requires - it might require GVFS/udisks). There's KDirState for KDE.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I am feeling a bit smug because I have virtualization going with a Fedora 18 host and a bridged network. I almost had bridging working with networkmanager, but I think it isn't quite ready for primetime.

Does anyone know the proper way to share a directory to guests? libvirt has the Filesystem passthrough concept which I cannot figure out. There are various modes (passthrough, squash, mapped), different drivers, and I am not clear how to specify the target path. Redhat/fedora docs and google are not helping me out here :(

I would like the guest to be able to access a directory on the host and it would be nice (and more efficient?) if I didn't have to set up any sort of file sharing.

edit: Doh, it just hit me that filesystem passthrough probably is for exposing a host filesystem to a guest, not for something simple like a folder. I feel a bit dumb right now.

other people fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 19, 2012

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I am feeling a bit smug because I have virtualization going with a Fedora 18 host and a bridged network. I almost had bridging working with networkmanager, but I think it isn't quite ready for primetime.

Does anyone know the proper way to share a directory to guests? libvirt has the Filesystem passthrough concept which I cannot figure out. There are various modes (passthrough, squash, mapped), different drivers, and I am not clear how to specify the target path. Redhat/fedora docs and google are not helping me out here :(

I would like the guest to be able to access a directory on the host and it would be nice (and more efficient?) if I didn't have to set up any sort of file sharing.

edit: Doh, it just hit me that filesystem passthrough probably is for exposing a host filesystem to a guest, not for something simple like a folder. I feel a bit dumb right now.

If they're linux guests, NFS is the "easy" way to do it. That is to say, easy for a simple setup, but you can make it pretty complicated and unwieldy depending on your requirements.

Also, I've got ESXi running with CentOS, Fedora, Windows 8, OS X Mountain Lion Server, and 3 virtual IPs (public; the other is my home network, which my other adapter is connected to). :smug:

With kickstarted CentOS installs completely unattended other than setting the hostname, running off of a locally mirrored CentOS repo, and automated puppet installation. All done during my spare time.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
There will be an easy answer for this question I'm sure:

Working in Linux at school, how can I set up a shortcut that saves me from typing
code:
bash
cd "Dropbox/School/12-13 Fall/"
each time I open a terminal?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Newf posted:

There will be an easy answer for this question I'm sure:

Working in Linux at school, how can I set up a shortcut that saves me from typing
code:
bash
cd "Dropbox/School/12-13 Fall/"
each time I open a terminal?

If you put that line in ~/.bashrc it will automatically run it when you open a new terminal window

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
Hey, thanks.

jason
Jul 25, 2002

Is there an equivalent to 'yum list <package>' for apt? I like using that to see if a package is installed and compare the installed version to the version available in the repo. I can't figure out how to do that in Mint/Ubuntu (on the command line).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
aptitude show <package>?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

jason posted:

Is there an equivalent to 'yum list <package>' for apt? I like using that to see if a package is installed and compare the installed version to the version available in the repo. I can't figure out how to do that in Mint/Ubuntu (on the command line).

'apt-cache policy <package>'.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
I've recently setup a DAAP server on my server so that I can stream my music to music players through a VPN. I would really like to know the bandwidth that I'm using since our house is on a monthly cap. What is the best solution for me to record usage information to a log file? I know the IP address from which I will be streaming the data (as well as the port number). Any suggestions?

Edit: Basically I want the output of ifstat but just for traffic to a particular IP/host and port.

Modern Pragmatist fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 21, 2012

jason
Jul 25, 2002

Longinus00 posted:

'apt-cache policy <package>'.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I hope this is the right place to ask this. I am a total noob to this sub-forum and to Linux.

I wanted to fool around with Linux for the hell of it and to see if I could teach myself something so I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a usb drive to use with my old netbook and it is slow as molasses.

I am working with a Dell Mini 10 with the following...
992.1 MiB memory
intel atom cpu n270 @ 1.60GHz x 2
32-bit OS

Which should meet the minimum requirements, right? So what gives? I don't even know where to start.

Thanks for any help. :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's probably slow because #1 a netbook isn't very powerful and #2 Ubuntu has a graphically intense interface.

I'd try lubuntu, xubuntu, or the LXDE or XCFE spins of Fedora. There's also other distributions like SuSE.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I am a total noob to this sub-forum and to Linux.

I wanted to fool around with Linux for the hell of it and to see if I could teach myself something so I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a usb drive to use with my old netbook and it is slow as molasses.

992.1 MiB memory
32-bit OS

Which should meet the minimum requirements, right? So what gives? I don't even know where to start.

Make sure you're running on direct rendering...

code:
$ glxinfo | grep render
What does that say?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to run a program to sync my Firefox profile to RAM at startup and shutdown on Ubuntu 12.04. I have the startup part working, with ~/.config/autostart (a GNOME thing?) and I was wondering if there's anything similar to run programs at logout or shutdown at the user level (as in, without /etc/init.d.)

I tried to use /etc/init.d to delegate to a file in $HOME, but I couldn't make it work correctly. I'm not sure if the issue is permissions, environment variables or what.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
No. Shutdown is supposed to not do anything special other than shutdown (what if your power cuts out)

There's already a number of Firefox extensions that save session state; maybe you could use parts from those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

deoju posted:

992.1 MiB memory
32-bit OS

On the log in screen, you can change the shell to Unity 2d or Unity with no effects. This had a huge impact on my netbook.