Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

TyChan posted:

Alonso and Arteta.

Peep Wenger in the background. Also I had those same Reebok Pumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

T. Mascis posted:

Also I had those same Reebok Pumps.

I knew this was going to be the first reply to this picture and made by you. lol

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

T. Mascis posted:

Also I had those same Reebok Pumps.

Me too!

Grainbarn
Jul 2, 2007

What the fuck did I do?

T. Mascis posted:

Love that creepy grin and poncho sweater over the shoulders.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

T. Mascis posted:

He looks older in that photo than he did when he joined Arsenal.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Private Eye posted:

He looks older in that photo than he did when he joined Arsenal.

Yeah it's weird he looks like modern day Wenger but that picture is 20 years old at least. *spooky music*

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Our love will last forever

TRP Post Of The Tournament Winner World Cup 2014
wengerman

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
the other guy in the background looks like Fox Mulder's dad ~~~Trust No 1~~~

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

T. Mascis posted:

One of the best celebrations in the game and also the kit looks so goddamn lovely Eat poo poo Hoops
If only the logos were in white.....:sigh:

I can't understand how Wenger is in that picture. That must be some town in the Basque country sometime in the early 90s. Maybe it could be in Madrid or Barcelona but it doesn't look like they're anywhere near a football ground. It looks like they've got a goodie bag with lollipops or some poo poo in it.

Wenger loves scouting the kids.

[edit]it can't be him can it?

Hoops fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 21, 2012

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Jesus, I never noticed Wenger in that pic before

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Hoops posted:

I can't understand how Wenger is in that picture. That must be some town in the Basque country sometime in the early 90s. Maybe it could be in Madrid or Barcelona but it doesn't look like they're anywhere near a football ground. It looks like they've got a goodie bag with lollipops or some poo poo in it.

They're holding a pennant with the FC Nantes logo on it.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
It's not Wenger. Jeez.

Crayfish
May 7, 2009

The other one is a photoshop, come on now lads

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Someone should photoshop some ribs into Arteta's hands and bbq sauce all over his face imo

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

TyChan posted:

It's not Wenger. Jeez.

Nice of Ramos to spend time at his Grandmother's place

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

CaptainRightful posted:

Wonder what's up with that tiny patch of West Ham support in the middle of Arsenal-land. There's one in Crystal Palace territory, too. Doesn't look like any other club has distant islands like that.

Basically I think they pulled the map out of their arse - I can confidently say that there are no Millwall fans on the Isle of Dogs (at least not compared to glory-hunting Arsenal fans). Maybe 30 years ago there were a few left who were still alive when Millwall were still based in Millwall.

(Maybe they're confused by the fact that Millwall RFC, from which Millwall FC split, are still based on the IoD)

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hoops posted:

The Liverpool kits are literally, enviously and annoyingly good what the loving hell is wrong with you?

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

TyChan posted:

It's not Wenger. Jeez.

What the gently caress is that?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Ninpo posted:

The Liverpool kits are literally, enviously and annoyingly good what the loving hell is wrong with you?
It's not for me I'm afraid.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hoops posted:

It's not for me I'm afraid.

Yer a mong.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

DickEmery posted:

What the gently caress is that?

It's Sergio Ramos a defender who currently plays for Real Madrid. He is sitting on an ugly sofa.

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

What the gently caress is that? - FC Barcelona

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

quote:

What's in a name? That depends which country you're in. In Brazil, the answer is commonly 'hilarity'. Nowhere is this better demonstrated than at the Copa São Paulo (known colloquially as the Copinha), the country's premier youth football tournament. This year's competition boasted some of the most improbable monikers ever to grace the football world.

First came the nicknames. Culinary triumvirate Bananinha (little banana), Salsicha (sausage) and Marcelo Pastel (Marcelo pastry) were early pace-setters, but were soon usurped in the improbability stakes. Pangaré (mule) established himself as a contender, but he too was quickly blown out of the water by an 18-year-old from João Pessoa. Whoever decided that Thiago Alves de Sousa should be known as Bactéria is both heartless and an absolute genius.

Elsewhere, given names reflected the Brazilian obsession with Anglophone (and particularly American) culture. Among the savage transliterations of English names were Jeyson, Jhon Cley, Valkenedy and Walis. Head and shoulders above all comers in this subgroup, however, was the immaculately named Olliver Gulliver of Atlético Acreano.

Other names were notable simply for their disrespect for linguistic norms. The likes of Anykson, Deusdante, Edjostenes, Gilmarx, Hukerlysson, Jaiellyson, Kerlyson, Nickthiell, Swillames, Wberlan and Weriklleyes look bad enough in English, but (trust me on this) are utter monstrosities in Portuguese. It took me a good few minutes to work out how to even pronounce Wberlan.

The Copinha did, however, highlight the esteem in which football legends (both Brazilian and European) are held. Charles Miller, the man who introduced the game to Brazil in 1894, now has a 17-year-old namesake playing for Fortaleza, whilst Americano-MA boasted a Roberto Baggio in their squad. The tournament also stood out for its 15 Romários (or Romarinhos), one of whom is the son of old Baixinho himself.

Finally, we come to the best category of all: misspelt names. This year's Copa São Paulo included touching tributes to Dutch legends Frank Rijkaard and Ruud Gullit. The resulting names – Raikard and Rudigullithi – are nothing if not loveably erroneous. The icing on the cake, however, came in the shape of Cruzeiro youngster Lynneeker. I'll let you work that one out for yourselves.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/sep/10/brazilian-youngsters-name-game-copinha

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

Crayfish posted:

The other one is a photoshop, come on now lads

Goddamnit :( There was me thinking that Wenger somehow Benjamin Button'd it for a decent part of his life.

It's been a long day.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

I've already linked this but didn't include the text :smuggo:

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Thanks BSE, really interesting read

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Haha this whole thing had me laughing. That was a great photoshop

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
ramos' sofa is probably $10,000 at least

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

TyChan posted:

Alonso and Arteta.

I love the old kid photos of players, so awesome.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I found the worst commentary ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBkkXurF-SQ

made it to 1:34

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

please respond posted:

loving Christ why would they let someone that poo poo commentate. He needs to be at high school games in bump gently caress nowhere... or just not try a career in sports commentary.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

please respond posted:

The commentary for the first goal was terrible but the actual play was pretty good. Also that's nowhere near as bad as Ray Hudson.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

please respond posted:

goooolll it's a white goal it's a blue goal it's a me closing the video. drat what an awful voice, that wouldn't even do a high school game justice.

New Inside City video up that features a lot of training session footage,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot4zxqeY2Ws

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Tzen posted:

goooolll it's a white goal it's a blue goal it's a me closing the video. drat what an awful voice, that wouldn't even do a high school game justice.

New Inside City video up that features a lot of training session footage,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot4zxqeY2Ws

None of it seemed to pay off, OH BURN!

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

Somebody made a model of the Olímpico Monumental stadium, home of Gremio from Porto Alegre

size 1,6m x 2,1m, scale 1:200

the stadium was built in 1954. It will be demolished in 2013.
more pics: http://ducker.com.br/2012/Maquete_Olimpico/index.html
I think the maker is a Internacional fan because the game shown in the model is the Copa Libertadores Final 2007 when they lost 0-2 against Boca Juniors.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

Hoops posted:

lmao

Also that Borini celebration is amazing.

Soup and a Sandwich
Apr 8, 2008

skeng

:allears:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

hecko posted:

Somebody made a model of the Olímpico Monumental stadium, home of Gremio from Porto Alegre

size 1,6m x 2,1m, scale 1:200

the stadium was built in 1954. It will be demolished in 2013.
more pics: http://ducker.com.br/2012/Maquete_Olimpico/index.html
I think the maker is a Internacional fan because the game shown in the model is the Copa Libertadores Final 2007 when they lost 0-2 against Boca Juniors.

This is very cool, thanks for posting it.

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008
Can't embed Dailymotion vids it seems :(

Referee gets taken out by Sidwell & Watson

From the Wigan - Fulham match.. Nice touch with the red card :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JunkDeluxe posted:

Can't embed Dailymotion vids it seems :(