Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mad carl
Feb 11, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

I know of a place that meets most of those requirements, but rather than serve girly drinks (i.e. cocktails without the ingredients in the name) they serve straight whisky.

Proceed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I know of a place that meets most of those requirements, but rather than serve girly drinks (i.e. cocktails without the ingredients in the name) they serve straight whisky.

Oh do tell....
And I take offense to having my Rusty Nail or Godfather referred to as a girl drink and hereby invite you to drink with me if you can find me such a place as described.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I like girly drinks because they taste good. I really like those mo-jittos or whatcha call dem things.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!

dtb posted:

Looking for a good bar/lounge:
Must serve real cocktails (if the ingredients are in the name it's not a real cocktail)
Have cigars
Studded leather chairs
Ambient lighting
No one in shorts, jeans or sandals

Any suggestions?

Oh, in Taipei. I want to walk home in a drunken stooper, not pass out and wake up in the middle of getting sexually assaulted in the 'berbs

There's a place that looks just like this only a short walk south of Technology Building Station on the Brown Line, in the middle of the city. Despite living near to the place for almost three years I still haven't bothered going in, most because I keep forgetting that it's there. If I pass by there later tonight, I'll make a note of the name and exact address.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Rusty Nail isn't so much a "girly" drink as it is a "grandma" drink. I also want to know the name of this pub, because I've been dying to find a watering hole that isn't a oonts-oonts club or tiny dive bar since I got here.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
There was something like that in Taichung before they shut all the bars down... :(.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

duckfarts posted:

I like girly drinks because they taste good. I really like those mo-jittos or whatcha call dem things.

Hemingway drank mojitos, therefore they are the exact opposite of girly. :colbert:

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Spanish Matlock posted:

Interest piqued.

Haraksha posted:

Go on.

Haven't seen you in awhile. How's your dumbass doing? Still working hard on the Chinese? Let me know when you want to drink a couple of bottles of whiskey again.

My dumbass is all hunky-dory, work is making me earn my money (how dare they) which is why I've been been off the radar. Chinese is progressing, I think I"m gonna take the entry level test in November, I doubt I'll pass, but I just wanna go through the process.

Are you guys registering so you can vote back in the US? I forget the process but I thought there was a thing where you turn up at the AIT and vote, or some postal ballot thing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have a mail in ballot and it's loving crucial for me to vote in Minnesota. It'll probably vote Obama as usual, but there are a couple of constitutional amendments on the ballot that need to be shot the gently caress down.

url posted:

Chinese

6 hours of conversation a week has done wonders for me. I'd be nowhere near I am now if I had stuck with Saturday only lessons in a McDonalds.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

I have a mail in ballot and it's loving crucial for me to vote in Minnesota. It'll probably vote Obama as usual, but there are a couple of constitutional amendments on the ballot that need to be shot the gently caress down.

6 hours of conversation a week has done wonders for me. I'd be nowhere near I am now if I had stuck with Saturday only lessons in a McDonalds.

Good job. Glad to hear your lessons are working out for you.

I'm still on 6 hours a week too, and while it's demanding, I do feel like I'm making some progress. I'm only half way through chapter 8 of the book, but I'd say that I recognise 90-95% of the characters as correct when grinding them out in ZDT. My pronunciation is still off-kilter but I think that's more a practice thing than anything else. I do work through the grammar sections, and while I don't make an effort to remember the stuff, the repetition and routine helps a bunch.

Pro you for making the effort to vote.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
What I find fascinating is how much more motivated people in Taiwan seem to be to learn Chinese even if they're just English teachers. I think it says a lot about the Taiwanese and how they treat anyone who gives Chinese a bit of effort.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!
That whiskey lounge I mentioned earlier is called Le Fumoir. The name translates to "The Smokehouse" so I can only assume that they also offer cigars too. I didn't get to go inside, but it looked really cozy and chill inside, if a bit on the small side.

The address is 353 Fu Xing South Road Section 2, which is a short walk south from the Technology Building Station in the Brown Line.

I've got no other plans tonight, so I'm down for checking the place out around... let's say 8 o'clock. If it's pricey I won't stay for long though, since I'm on a really tight budget for a while. There are a handful of other bars around the area too, though. I've always got my phone on me, so I can check this thread if anyone wants to chime in.

In other news, there is a :siren: whiskey convention :siren: at the Taipei World Trade Center that is finishing tomorrow.

EDIT: Maybe I shouldn't be a dumbass and post an invitation minutes before a scheduled downtime.

Oz_Bonus fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 22, 2012

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Oz_Bonus posted:

In other news, there is a :siren: whiskey convention :siren: at the Taipei World Trade Center that is finishing tomorrow.

EDIT: Maybe I shouldn't be a dumbass and post an invitation minutes before a scheduled downtime.

My friend works for a place that finds whiteys to do things I guess. He messaged me asking if I wanted to be a bartender for the weekend at the whiskey convention. Guaranteed 20 hours, 500 an hour, so 10k for two days of work.

Turned it down though, because I've never bartended, don't want to do it for 10 hours a day, and am generally kinda lazy.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

What I find fascinating is how much more motivated people in Taiwan seem to be to learn Chinese even if they're just English teachers. I think it says a lot about the Taiwanese and how they treat anyone who gives Chinese a bit of effort.

Indeed, and it makes a huge difference to my motivation. My experience in Denmark was quite the opposite in that when you make the effort (to use Danish) you are treating as if you've just raped a baby in full public view. At that point the conversation will just go to English.

I couldn't speak for the rest of Northern Europe, the Danes have a reputation though, and I was sad when it was confirmed.

I left Denmark with a firm grasp of the language, but feeling that I had wasted a decent chunk of change because of the effort != reward. It's not an uncommon sentiment among the ex-ex-pats from Denmark (I'd link but it's dull and complaining is easy).

url fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 23, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's less useful in Europe too. I took German for years and was all excited about using it there, but everybody spoke perfect English unless I was way out in bumfuck. Only the Turks would even bother speaking German to me instead of hearing the American accent and going straight to English.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Sorry, wild drinking knocked me out for a day or so. The place I was talking about is just north of the brass monkey. It's a nice little cigar lounge, they have a massive selection of fine cigars, nice atmosphere, a bunch of overstuffed armchairs. They serve various straight whiskys to go with your cigar.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.
In case you're wondering, I've made the official decision that the south is cooler than the north in Taiwan.
Carry on about your business.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've been to two bars in the south. One was a night club in Kaohsiung that sucked balls. It was all you can drink with massive lines and crappy drinks. The other was a dive in Pingtung run by a Taiwanese guy named Jimmy going through a divorce. He made me do a bunch of shots of kaoliang with him and we listened to Scorpions. It was awesome.

skysedge
May 26, 2006

SqueakyDuck posted:

I wouldn't mind wandering away from Taipei for a day or so. Anything cool and historical would be a welcome change to city wandering. The weather in Korea is starting to cool down a bit now. Is Taiwan doing the same at the moment? (Wouldn't mind checking out a beach or two if it's possible and WARM.)

Interests: :allears:
history
wandering
meeting some cool locals
beaches
getting to know some culture (most likely in a short space of time.)

A few ideas:
1. Take the high speed rail down to Tainan (~2.5 hours), from the front exit of the train station (West-Central District), walk down Chungshan Road till you hit a large traffic circle. Start ducking into random back alleys around this area all the way . Plenty of temples and traditional culture mostly unspoiled by the large tour groups (aside from the major sites, eg. Fort Provintia, Fort Zeelandia). Eventually make your way to Haian Road and Shennong Street in the evening for more temples and open air pubs.

2. If you want something historical, cultural, and REALLY off the beaten path (Google Maps has nothing here), fly from Taipei Songshan Airport to one of the Matsu Islands. Tiny rocks right off the coast of China that Taiwan still controls after Chiang Kai-shek basically ordered his troops to dig in and tunnel under in the 50s under heavy Chinese artillery bombardment. Worst nightmare for your average Taiwanese grunt was to be deployed out here during the height of the Cold War. If you visit today it's fun backpacking around exploring abandoned (and many still active) military bunkers, pillboxes, and depots. The settlements are tiny, and the main business is still the military and kaoliang liquor. They also have beaches which are supposedly de-mined now. Main islands with air connections to Taiwan proper are Nangan (the big one) and Beigan (small one). Budget at least 3 days as a backpacker. Ignore the gunfire, its probably routine training.

3. If you're stuck in Taipei and don't mind some hiking, I recommend the hills behind the Grand Hotel. Lots of footpaths and informal pavilions and badminton courts locals have built under the forest canopy, and some nice views of the city. Come up early enough and you'll see people practicing their morning exercises / martial arts. Come to think of it, most of the larger city parks in Taipei are like this around 5-6AM.

4. Generally taking the train down the eastern coast is great for scenery. Supposedly there are some surfer shacks down in Taitung, and I've seen some people go rafting in the river gorges here. Again, will require some extra travel time outside Taipei though.

5. Keelung is the harbor city just to the north, which is also fun to walk around. Not nearly as touristy as most places. The city kind of reminds me of what San Francisco would be like if you removed the bridges, yuppies, and pretty much everywhere except for the Tenderloin and Chinatown. Walking through random hillside tenements is interesting. If you don't mind hanging around merchant seamen who have been at sea for way too long, head to the Lucky Star pub just off the harbor. This is also the location of the local red light district. About an hour north of Taipei by train. Also makes a nice starting or ending point if you decide to go off and explore the northeast coast.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

skysedge posted:

Taiwan talk
Where were you a month ago?

skysedge
May 26, 2006

DontAskKant posted:

Where were you a month ago?

Recovering from a year of marching around singing military cadences. (And keeping the air defenses running over a fairly significant chunk of Taiwan).

skysedge fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 23, 2012

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

skysedge posted:

Recovering from a year of marching around singing military cadences. (And keeping the air defenses running over a fairly significant chunk of Taiwan).

Hmm... I'll allow that. But next time it's your brain and my whiskey.

Gumog
Mar 20, 2009
What are the arguments of going to live and teach in Taiwan instead of mainland China? Do you think there any drawbacks?

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Gumog posted:

What are the arguments of going to live and teach in Taiwan instead of mainland China? Do you think there any drawbacks?

Taiwan is generally

cleaner
wealthier
more open/friendly

I've had people personally give me poo poo after learning I'm American for the declining value of the dollar because it lowered the value of their forex reserves. :wtf: People in Taiwan are a little bit better informed (though not by a lot) but even if 'wrong' about something not going to be so overtly hostile and VIVA LA CHINA :china: like in the mainland.

It's cleaner, which is pretty simple. Less trash on the streets, air quality is better but still likely not as good as wherever you're from. For vacations it's not a big deal but for day-to-day living for a lot of people it's a factor.

You'll also make more money here (fact) and get screwed around less by bosses (hearsay). China keeping the RMB artificially low hurts your wages denominated in RMB, so that 5000 RMB/month + rent subsidy or whatever in China is lower than 45000 TWD in Taiwan, even after cost of living.

Those are the big points that most people decide on. Put together, it all adds up to a quite nice place to live and work.

Main drawbacks:
It's not 'real' China (re: tourism and job 'experience' mostly)
Traditional Chinese is not terribly useful if you go home and put it to work. It is however fairly easy to get up to speed on Simplified.
No one knows it (people will say "Taiwan? Oh I love eating Thai food!")

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I was visiting the states after my first year in Taiwan and decided to go to my uncle's favorite gay bar. They were running free HIV screenings that night and the men and the bar were adamant that I should get an HIV test because of how dirty Bangkok is.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Haraksha posted:

I was visiting the states after my first year in Taiwan and decided to go to my uncle's favorite gay bar. They were running free HIV screenings that night and the men and the bar were adamant that I should get an HIV test because of how dirty Bangkok is.

I was here when there was some military coup stuff going down in Thailand 5(?) years back.

I got messages asking if I was ok.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Hello Taiwan thread,
I'm going to be visiting this Satuday 'til Oct 2nd, and I also wanted to ask if you guys had any suggestions for someone who likes to eat food and take pictures of interesting things but mostly eat food.
All I know for sure is I want to go to Shih Lin Night Market and probably Sun Moon Lake and Taroko National Park.

I'll probably try to do some of the stuff skysedge posted too.
Also if anyone wants to get together and go drinking with me and my friends I think that would be pretty fun.

skysedge
May 26, 2006

Onion Knight posted:

Hello Taiwan thread,
I'm going to be visiting this Satuday 'til Oct 2nd, and I also wanted to ask if you guys had any suggestions for someone who likes to eat food and take pictures of interesting things but mostly eat food.
All I know for sure is I want to go to Shih Lin Night Market and probably Sun Moon Lake and Taroko National Park.

I'll probably try to do some of the stuff skysedge posted too.
Also if anyone wants to get together and go drinking with me and my friends I think that would be pretty fun.

As far as night markets go Shilin is the big one, but I personally like Ningxia and Raohe, which are more laid back. Also if seedy is your thing, Huaxi Street is the usual go to place (also for history... its where the settlement that turned into Taipei started). Shida Night Market used to be fun as a student, but I haven't been back there for a while... I've heard things about the city selling chunks of it to big developers?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

skysedge posted:

As far as night markets go Shilin is the big one, but I personally like Ningxia and Raohe, which are more laid back. Also if seedy is your thing, Huaxi Street is the usual go to place (also for history... its where the settlement that turned into Taipei started). Shida Night Market used to be fun as a student, but I haven't been back there for a while... I've heard things about the city selling chunks of it to big developers?
Yeah Huaxi Street (Snake Alley) is definitely a place worth checking out. Last time I was down there (years ago) it was kind of a dying shithole though, and not much of a night market. Still straight-up one of the most unique places in Taipei's increasingly generic metropolis. And definitely seconding Raohe - it's a little more of a pain in the rear end to get to, but I do really prefer it to Shilin.

On Shida, they haven't sold it yet, but they're bloody trying.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 24, 2012

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

USDA Choice posted:

Taiwan is generally

cleaner
wealthier
more open/friendly

Main drawbacks:
It's not 'real' China (re: tourism and job 'experience' mostly)
Traditional Chinese is not terribly useful if you go home and put it to work. It is however fairly easy to get up to speed on Simplified.
No one knows it (people will say "Taiwan? Oh I love eating Thai food!")

e:fb

i posted these things soon after waking up this morning, but forums were closed :argh:

Me and a colleague have been swearing to do the snake alley thing, and as a team we're overdue on inducting a new colleague too. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just ask the boss if we shouldn't do snake alley as a team event, beacuse doing shots of snake snot/venom/jizz (like I care) isn't a team bonding thing then I'm not sure what is.

:)

SqueakyDuck
Apr 5, 2009

Banao!~ :3::3:

skysedge posted:

A few ideas:

Cheers man, some of this stuff looks great. If I had known about the Matsu Island stuff well in advance I would have totally booked a ticket. I think it would be too late now. As a matter of interest how much would a flight from Taipei to the Matsu islands cost? Would I need Chinese visa to go to one of those islands because I would totally do something like that if I come back at some stage.

I will definately be taking some trips out of the city and down South. Any recommendations of bars and clubs would be welcome. Wouldn't mind trying to see some of the local night life.

skysedge
May 26, 2006

SqueakyDuck posted:

Cheers man, some of this stuff looks great. If I had known about the Matsu Island stuff well in advance I would have totally booked a ticket. I think it would be too late now. As a matter of interest how much would a flight from Taipei to the Matsu islands cost? Would I need Chinese visa to go to one of those islands because I would totally do something like that if I come back at some stage.

I will definately be taking some trips out of the city and down South. Any recommendations of bars and clubs would be welcome. Wouldn't mind trying to see some of the local night life.

Flights to Matsu are by Uni Air, an Eva Airways subsidiary (which amazingly doesn't seem to have an English language website). Prices vary, but are usually something like NT$2000 give or take a few hundred NT$ for a one way ticket. You can buy the ticket in person at the airport day of flight, but the planes are small and fill up fast. Reserving in advance is highly recommended.

Your other option is by ferry (accepts web reservations for foreigners using your passport number, but again, no English website... its that out of the way). This is an 8 hour trip from Keelung, departing late at night, arriving first at the tiny northernmost outpost at Dongyin, then at the big island of Nangan two hours later. IIRC... the fare for an economy cabin is about half that of flying. Runs every other day.

In both cases, flights and ferrys are subject to cancellation in the event of inclement weather, so yeah, a flexible schedule is helpful. Matsu is ROC territory, so your normal Taiwan visa is sufficient.

EDIT: Ferry prices

Keelung -> Matsu
First Class Cabin (2 per cabin): NT$1890
Business Class Cabin (4 per cabin): NT$1575
Economy (single bunk): NT$1050
Economy (parent-child berth): NT$840
Economy (seat): NT$630

Matsu -> Keelung
First Class Cabin (2 per cabin): NT$1800
Business Class Cabin (4 per cabin): NT$1500
Economy (single bunk): NT$1000
Economy (parent-child berth): NT$800
Economy (seat): NT$600

skysedge fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 24, 2012

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I guess Taiwan has decided to send fishing boats up to Diaoyu. I don't see how this can end poorly at all.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Eh, it's just more dickwaving. Give it a couple of weeks until the CCP have had time to calm down all that recent talk about the Amazing Disappearing Xi Jinping, then they won't have to keep distracting the population with "hey look over there" poo poo. More or less immediately, everyone else will stop giving a gently caress too, and it'll be like it never happened.

skysedge
May 26, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

Eh, it's just more dickwaving. Give it a couple of weeks until the CCP have had time to calm down all that recent talk about the Amazing Disappearing Xi Jinping, then they won't have to keep distracting the population with "hey look over there" poo poo. More or less immediately, everyone else will stop giving a gently caress too, and it'll be like it never happened.

This being Taiwan and with Ma being in charge, we wil have to wait for some arguably positive economic indicator, or Ma figuring out a new case to prosecute Chen Shui-bian on, before this whole Diaoyutai thing gets dropped.

... or alternatively, when someone in Foggy Bottom makes a call to the Presidential Office asking if Ma is out of his mind.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Woot

I wish I had something more constructive to say, but today was an unexpectedly good day.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

url posted:

Woot

I wish I had something more constructive to say, but today was an unexpectedly good day.

Dear livejournal, today was sooo amazing!

Get a girlfriend? Go to snake alley? Dance on the stage of Luxy? Stop being coy.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Ravendas posted:

Dear livejournal, today was sooo amazing!

Get a girlfriend? Go to snake alley? Dance on the stage of Luxy? Stop being coy.

Yeah, i couldn't type last night.

Work was busy and more stressful than normal and that has resolved fairly nicely for the time-being.

Went to a local place to wind down, ended up being fed stacks and stacks of food. I had more drinks pushed in my direction than I could possibly hope to manage. So yeah, unexpectedly blind drunk, and very well fed.

I'm still not sure what the liquor is that we were drinking but it's pretty decent. For some reason ground pearls are being added to it.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Last minute question, I know, but for four days four nights in Taiwain (and of that, mostly Taipei) how much money should I bring to be comfortable?

I only really care about eating. Maybe some nice booze once or twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I think $2500 (~US$85) would be pretty okay, even a little on the generous side. Maybe $1000 for food, $800 for booze, $700 for tchotchkes and cab fare. You could keep it much lower if you eat like a broke resident, but you can get some pretty nice food over four days for $1000.

e: might as well tack on a question to this post. I think a small fraction of my next paycheck is going to go towards building a gaming rig, because all I have right now is a lovely ThinkPad. Anyone have any tips on where to buy parts (in Greater Taipei) and what my budget should be? I'm pretty well-versed in building PCs (although I haven't built one in a couple of years) but I am curious if things like the BIOS set-up and OS set-up will be in Chinese. I have a monitor already but I need everything else, including the OS. I'm thinking I'd like some nice quad-core CPU and a mid-high end graphics card, nice and fresh but not so new that it's 3x as much as the last rollout. Think I can make a nice rig for $20000?

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 27, 2012