Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery
My 3 month old Min Pin puppy keeps throwing up water after she drinks.

Is she drinking too much too fast? She seems completely normal otherwise. Active, eating well, firm stools. Any help would be awesome

Edit: she has hiccups usually before she throws up the water.

Guancho fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
do you restrict her water access at all or does she have free access to it?

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery

Topoisomerase posted:

do you restrict her water access at all or does she have free access to it?

She had unrestricted access at first but not anymore.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

MacGyver's settling in and refusing to photograph well. He doesn't like leaving a room with humans in it, which is helping the cat issues. He's pretty well behaved in the house aside from one thing - he likes to pull books out of shelves and then chew them. For everything else, we've been using clove oil if it's large or putting it elsewhere if it's small, but we have bookshelves all over the house and I'd really like to be able to leave him unsupervised eventually.

And if there's cats outside the house, he barks at them. Perfectly civil when they're indoors, but outside he'll run after them if he can and bark until they flee if he can't. I know why he does this, but no idea how to go about fixing it. The breeder we got him from also has cats, and enforced that it's not okay to go after them indoors. I saw this in action, it was pretty cool. Indoors, there were a few cats and kittens just milling around the puppy space and not giving a gently caress about anything. When she let the pups outdoors, a cat was present, and the whole litter just flat out swarmed him - nothing violent, just jumping around and sorta nuzzling him. Cat put up with it for a while, then hopped onto a railing and strolled off. Problem is, ours don't know he doesn't plan any harm, and when twenty-odd pounds of collie takes an interest in them, they do not like it one bit. Once I let them in, he cools down, but when they're on the porch and being barked at through the door, they don't want to come in. I've tried putting him in another room, but that doesn't stop the barking.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Herding dogs have an immensely strong desire to chase things that are moving, often regardless of whether it's a sheep, a squirrel, a ball or another dog. I think that's what you're seeing there. You're not going to have a lot of success punishing the desire to chase out of him (removing him from the stimulus, or anything else). Rather you should probably a) give him something to do instead and b) work on his self control. The cornerstone of all dog training is self control, so you'll do well to enroll in a class. As he grows, look into classes that will develop off leash skills using impulse control games like Its Yer Choice, Look At That, etc. Work on creating a wonderful recall and a love of tugging with you. Use tug as an outlet for him instead of using that energy to chase cats. Look into reading Control Unleashed by McDevitt.

It'll be a long process though, and will be something you'll work on for a good long time. Don't expect miracles overnight.

Gate him off from your books so he can't practice improper behaviour, and give him plenty of outlets for chewing. Eventually with proper direction your books should be safe.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)

Alopex posted:

we've been using clove oil if it's large

Hope you don't plan on doing any nosework down the line, because that's one of the starting scents.

Fated
Oct 27, 2004

We all must accept our destiny.
Meet Hero and his brother Prince.

I recently found these two online and fell in love instantly. Went and met them before making a final decision of keeping them. I got them from a person who accidentally ended up with the litter (or so they claimed), send food, collars, a couple toys and a topical ointment for Ringwurm on Hero.

They were born on May 20th of this year. They're massive. According to her, they're a Lab mix breed. I've had a ton of dogs (never puppies) and I would wager there's also some German Shepherd in them. Just my opinion.

So, anyway, I'm a first time puppy owner. I love my boys to death. I've read through the main post and guides and such so many times I think I could recite them all by heart. I've got a clicker and they've got leashes and we spend time outside playing and they get plenty of food and water. They get tons of love and exercise.

Fast forward to NOW! Hero's case of Ringwurm cleared up with the topical I was given, but Prince seemed to be displaying it. At least, I thought that at first. It spread around his eyes, hair thinning and in some cases being gone entirely. It spread a tiny bit to his mouth and his snout, then the top of his head. I quickly discovered it was not Ringwurm, but Mange. Puppy mange. Demodectic mange.

My mother (who consequently raised, bred and trained dogs while I was growing up) spotted the area and called it right away. So I have a topical antibiotic for him and I'm going to be giving him lots of baths. Can you give a dog too many baths? I would think not, really.

Anyway, like I said, first time puppy owner. Experienced with dogs, absolute dog person and friendly. What are your experiences with mange? How about raising two puppies alongside one another? I've been told about Littermate Syndrome, but I've tried my best to force them to do things separately. I walk them alone, they go outside without one another and they get fed / watered separately.

Fated fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 22, 2012

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
Hahaha so you're a first time puppy owner and you got two at once AND they might be part GSD, good lord are you in for a world of hell for the next year...so much for doing research.

Back to your mange question....my mom's yellow lab had puppy mange and she got special shampoo from the vet for it and the dog had to be bathed almost daily in it until it was gone. Took about 2 and a half weeks or so to clear up, and about a month or half for the pups hairless patches to grew back. You made no mention of taking either dog to the vet...and even if you went there's a chance that you might want to see what else you can get. Also, don't be afraid to get a second opinion when it comes to vets. My mom went through a bunch of drama because our vet of 10 years misdiagnosed the pup's mange as something else entirely.

Aside from separate training, you really should start socializing them with other dogs regularly. Not sure how entirely practical it is but having them have a chance to be in situations where they're playing with other dogs without their sibling around wouldn't be a bad idea.

Tiny Faye fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 22, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I love puppies and I love dog training but holy poo poo I would never get two at once why in gently caress would you do that :psyduck:

Have you taken those dogs to a vet yet? Take them to a vet. Did you get the 'topical antibiotic' from taking them to a vet, because if not, stop putting random antibiotic on them. FYI, ringworm is incredibly contagious and you need to get treated because if you haven't already, you probably have it now.

Yes you absolutely can give a dog too many baths and if you're doing it more than once a week at the most, you'll dry out his skin and make the condition much worse. So yeah, don't give excessive baths. Again, a vet will prescribe a treatment regime which may involve bathing, but they'll tell you when/how to do it.

Also get invested in training classes now because you're going to hate your decision in about six months when they go through 'lol gently caress u' shepherd puberty.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 22, 2012

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Fated posted:

Anyway, like I said, first time puppy owner. Experienced with dogs, absolute dog person and friendly. What are your experiences with mange? How about raising two puppies alongside one another? I've been told about Littermate Syndrome, but I've tried my best to force them to do things separately. I walk them alone, they go outside without one another and they get fed / watered separately.

Your puppies are super cute :3:

I got two GSD littermates and it was a lot of work because they were puppies. Myself and my spouse put (and still do) an absolute poo poo ton of time into the dogs. They get walks usually every 2 hours when we are home, maybe every 3, since we brought them home. I think exercise + training is absolutely key when you have 2 pups. This is self evident because they will be enjoyable to have around when they are tired from walks/exercise, and pains in the rear end when they get frisky in the house.

You'll be ok. Take it seriously - keep up spending time separately with them. They will probably go through phases of being clingy to each other and not listening (see: puberty) but if you are diligent they will be fine.

I always chime in when the discussion of multiple pups comes up, because my current experience has been fine. Its easier in some ways because they will be BFFs and keep each other busy and tired from all the playing. Maybe I am lucky, as my dogs listen really well. I wouldn't advise someone to get two because it is harder to train each dog appropriately. Sure, you can get them both to "sit" when you have a treat in the house, but getting them both to "come" when you are at the park and there is a cat or squirrel or whatever is another story.

They key is to take training them separately seriously.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

It's great that your dogs worked out for you, but I would say that you are definitely the exception, not the rule. By and large, getting two puppies at once is a bad idea.

ETA: Also, didn't you post about having issues with Littermate Syndrome or am I confusing you with someone else? LS is a lot to deal with on top of having two high energy young dogs going through puberty. Not exactly a piece of cake for anyone, let alone a new puppy owner.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 23, 2012

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Captain Foxy posted:

It's great that your dogs worked out for you, but I would say that you are definitely the exception, not the rule. By and large, getting two puppies at once is a bad idea.

ETA: Also, didn't you post about having issues with Littermate Syndrome or am I confusing you with someone else? LS is a lot to deal with on top of having two high energy young dogs going through puberty. Not exactly a piece of cake for anyone, let alone a new puppy owner.

I think that's the guy with two goldens. I recall he had issues with one of the dogs being an unruly rear end in a top hat, but I don't know much about LS and I don't know if it was a result of that.

And yeah, getting two adult dogs for those reasons is all well and good, but suggesting two puppies at once, to anyone, isn't doing them any favors.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
Not to mention that any respectable breeder who's worth a drat won't allow two litermates to go to the same owner, but since that poster was already dumb enough to support an accidental liter BYB...

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

He already has his dogs. I don't suggest it to anyone. Faye and Foxy posted serious warnings and cautions. I prefer to give advice and my positive anecdote than more dire warnings. I think the negatively-toned posts are very important and very good posts, but he already has his dogs. I doubt he is going to rehome one at this point. Calling him dumb and asking why the gently caress he would make his decisions isn't helpful. Yes yes, we are on SA we like calling dumb people out, but he has puppies that he loves! I want him to feel like he can be in control of the situation, like I was with my dogs.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Issues with dogs being indoor and outdoor.

So we have three dogs, two from a rescue and one from craigslist. The CL dog is a Rottie who would chase horses, and since we don't live anywhere near ranches or horses, and she does great with other dogs and cats, we took her. That's Jess and we've had her for about five or six years now. She's almost 10.

Then there's Spyder, who is a German Shepherd who was a stray, abused, and taken in by the rescue. She's clearly a sub dog and needs constant affection, and always wants to be around you or another dog. There are times even still, almost two years after we got her, that I need to stand by her and pet her while she eats, otherwise she'll wait next to another dog and watch Jess eat.

The last one is Loki, a Chi mix, also from the same rescue as Spyder. She is a hyper hyper dog, as is the breeds, and she acts like one of the cats usually and spends a lot of time with them when she's inside. However, she has a bad habit of pissing in the house; we were told she was housebroken, but if you let her inside, within five minutes she is peeing somewhere. Vet checks say her health is fine, she just needs to be rehousebroken at four years old. Don't have any history on her period.

The biggest issue, however, are the ticks. A neighbor with a few dogs moved in and suddenly we have ticks galore. We can't spray the outside of the house because we have a pool, and half the yard belongs to the tortoises and turtles. Spraying INSIDE is a no-go due to the cats, the reptiles, and the aquariums. So it's diatom earth all over outside, flea and tick collars on the dogs, and then baths every other week. The rescue recommended using Frontline drops instead of bathing every week, so we started that last week or so.

We used to kennel Loki during the day, when I was at work, and my mom was too, but with the weather nicer, she's been staying outside with the other two dogs. And the ticks stopped making an appearance indoors. Then Mom let the dogs in, and we witnessed several ticks, all unbloated, small black ones, racing off the dogs, so back outside the dogs went while we cleaned the fuckers up.

We tried again over the weekend: Loki was inside for maybe three minutes when ticks started fleeing from her. Back outside she went.

None of the dogs like to stand for a bath, all of them freak out at getting drops and brushing and having themselves inspected for ticks. Spyder is especially a hard case as she associates most touches with hits, so even petting her calmly works from only time to time, and she runs loving amok if anyone raises their voice for any reason. Even people yelling on TV makes her bolt to go outside.

So what else can we do to get rid of these goddamn parasites? Is there any way to calm the dogs down for us to pull any ticks off of them, other than the standard treats? The treats don't work anymore; if the dogs see us with tweezers or have them lie down to get brushed, they run the other way. It's gotten to the point I want to say 'gently caress it' and make them be outdoor only dogs....which doesn't work in Arizona when the temps reach 110 in the summer.

Also I've never seen ticks that weren't bloated with blood leaving a host, so are the collars or the drops driving them away rather than killing them outright?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
The most common kind of tick in Arizona is the Brown Dog Tick, which can transmit a bunch of horrible diseases to dogs. Even if you kick the dogs out of the house, you should really keep trying to get the ticks under control.

What kind of tick collar are you using?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Also I've never seen ticks that weren't bloated with blood leaving a host, so are the collars or the drops driving them away rather than killing them outright?
Some species of ticks only feed intermittently. Some species have also immature stages and/or males that don't bloat up like you may be used to.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I wonder who got sufficiently butthurt about not having their choices validated to buy the ad attacking this page?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
To be fair, calling someone dumb for making what seems like a rash and uninformed decision to us (people who are by and large more heavily involved in animal care than most) is exactly the type of thing that drives away new posters to whom we may be giving valuable advice.

All that does is increase the problem and enforce further poor decision making. Yeah, we're goons, but this isn't a closed club for only PI regulars and not every pet owner would be as intuitive as others.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

TVs Ian posted:

To be fair, calling someone dumb for making what seems like a rash and uninformed decision to us (people who are by and large more heavily involved in animal care than most) is exactly the type of thing that drives away new posters to whom we may be giving valuable advice.

All that does is increase the problem and enforce further poor decision making. Yeah, we're goons, but this isn't a closed club for only PI regulars and not every pet owner would be as intuitive as others.

Pet Island is currently like a billion times more bland, chill, and tolerant than it has ever been.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I know that, I've been here a while, just not as a frequent poster. But in an thread like this particular one, it's still kind of pointless circle jerking to be all 'lookit dis dumbass' instead of like, giving informative advice.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Sometimes a little ribbing helps someone realize what they're in for. I don't think anyone should be offended by someone going 'lol no why' and then offering helpful advice to help them keep their dogs, but everyone's allowed to be a unique unicorn and think what they want.

That ad is glorious and I find it hilarious that whoever bought it was so mad that they had to buy it twice.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Superconsndar posted:

Pet Island is currently like a billion times more bland, chill, and tolerant than it has ever been.

Yeah, it's just not the same. :saddowns:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Serella posted:

Yeah, it's just not the same. :saddowns:

We used to have so much fun. Alas,

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Superconsndar posted:

I don't see how this is an response to TVs IAN?? PI is a "nicer" place nowadays, but if that guy with the two mutt pups got pissy and hosed off, what's the point of having a Puppy and New Dog Owner Thread?

For the record, I don't think Foxy and Faye's posts should have scared off anyone.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Superconsndar posted:

We used to have so much fun. Alas,

The era of the "don't be a dick" rule

adventure in the sandbox posted:

I don't see how this is an response to TVs IAN?? PI is a "nicer" place nowadays, but if that guy with the two mutt pups got pissy and hosed off, what's the point of having a Puppy and New Dog Owner Thread?

I don't have any kind of stats to back this up, but PI probably has a ton of lurkers in addition to the people who post very infrequently. I'm sure the info in the OP and the questions answered in the thread are helpful to people who just aren't chiming in to say so. Or chiming in to let everyone know they're offended because someone posted "the best thing to do is x, but at the least I wouldn't y" and that means that the poster is accusing them of being a bad owner or an idiot. People like that aren't really going to find any help here, no matter how nicely it's delivered to them.

In any case, we're not worse than any other subforum, and we're definitely equal to or better than a lot of them. YLLS and GWS have the same kind of "we know what we're talking about so just shut up and listen" attitude; people tell TFR posters to go back and stay there; FYAD leaks weird meta diarrhea into various subforums on a regular basis; and YCS and LF were so awful they were deleted. I'd say PI isn't too bad for a subforum in a forum that is pretty much just dedicated to kind of being assholes.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Serella posted:

The era of the "don't be a dick" rule

o.g. till i die.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.
Our puppy (yeah he's 9 months old and 60 lbs... still a puppy!) is totally sweet, well socialized, plays a little rough sometimes but we're working on it. He's a good dog, y'all. But he won't stop jumping up on people. On us, on guests, on strangers on the street. He just gets SO EXCITED.

We've tried the whole turn around and ignore the dog thing, and while he obviously notices he's done wrong, he doesn't stop. I can't very well tell people on the street "Sorry! Stop your jog and just turn around and ignore my dog!" so what can I do?

He's a good learner, he likes tricks but he's not super food-motivated.

Photo attached for... reference? Just look at that puppy smile!

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Tourette Meltdown posted:

Our puppy (yeah he's 9 months old and 60 lbs... still a puppy!) is totally sweet, well socialized, plays a little rough sometimes but we're working on it. He's a good dog, y'all. But he won't stop jumping up on people. On us, on guests, on strangers on the street. He just gets SO EXCITED.

We've tried the whole turn around and ignore the dog thing, and while he obviously notices he's done wrong, he doesn't stop. I can't very well tell people on the street "Sorry! Stop your jog and just turn around and ignore my dog!" so what can I do?

He's a good learner, he likes tricks but he's not super food-motivated.

Photo attached for... reference? Just look at that puppy smile!

For jumping on yourself and guests, I would teach him to Say Please. This involves him doing some behavior (a Sit is easy) before he gets ANY attention. Start by just sitting watching tv or at your desk or whatever and when he wants some attention, ask him for a sit and reward any time he sits with treats and attention. Work up to him sitting without you asking. The trick is to be consistant about giving him attention whenever he sits so it becomes automatic (and you can phase out the treats).

Then generalize it. He needs to sit before getting pet, before getting food, when you come home from work before he gets to greet you. Then when he's got it down, you can have guests wait or ask for a sit before they engage him.

If you're out walking him on a leash and he can't approach strangers without jumping on them, then he can't approach strangers. He doesn't need to greet everyone. If you want him to be able to greet people, then work with new friends (who will do what you say) and work on exercises where he defers to you over things he wants in the environment, like squirrels or whatever.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Kiri koli posted:

For jumping on yourself and guests, I would teach him to Say Please. This involves him doing some behavior (a Sit is easy) before he gets ANY attention. Start by just sitting watching tv or at your desk or whatever and when he wants some attention, ask him for a sit and reward any time he sits with treats and attention. Work up to him sitting without you asking. The trick is to be consistant about giving him attention whenever he sits so it becomes automatic (and you can phase out the treats).

Then generalize it. He needs to sit before getting pet, before getting food, when you come home from work before he gets to greet you. Then when he's got it down, you can have guests wait or ask for a sit before they engage him.

If you're out walking him on a leash and he can't approach strangers without jumping on them, then he can't approach strangers. He doesn't need to greet everyone. If you want him to be able to greet people, then work with new friends (who will do what you say) and work on exercises where he defers to you over things he wants in the environment, like squirrels or whatever.

This is a super good reply, except......... we already do that. He's VERY good at it and he knows to get what he wants he has to sit calmly. Before eating? Sit. Before going outside? Sit. To get his harness on and go for a run? Sit. Before he gets out of his crate in the morning? Sit. If he's jumping and we say "Hey, cool it! Sit!" he'll sit, no problem. Sometimes I can just give him a look and he'll sit. Like, I don't think I can express how GOOD our dog is, except for the jumping. When we play outside he jumps up on us (just out of excitement, not because we have the toy) and has hurt me AND my husband. He's a big dog. Will he grow out of it? Do we just have to keep trying?

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
During play outside, if he jumps and puts paws on you, head inside immediately and end the game.

For greeting practice, you need to stop allowing him to practice the jumping. I help teach a class where we focus a lot on this. Start by tethering your dog to something immovable. I recommend starting outside and leashing him to a tree or something. Walk up to him (out of jumping range) and ask for a sit. Click and reward (you said not food motivated, which I don't really believe, but if praise works, use it).

Work to the point where you aren't cueing the sit first. Once it's become a default behavior in this context, start revving him up first before you come in for the greet and expect the same behavior. Then ask friends and neighbors to do it for you. Then transition to on leash in the back yard, same people. Then sidewalks out front, etc.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

^^^Beaten on a lot of good points. I agree!

Okay, a couple of thoughts. One, be careful that you aren't chaining behaviors. Like he's learning jump -> asked to sit -> sit -> get what I want. If there is a chain, then I would try interrupting by giving him a timeout.

Next, dogs gets better at behaviors by practicing. So I would definitely cut out any access to strangers or guests when you aren't actively working on the problem so he doesn't get the extra practice.

Third, you need to figure out what about jumping is reinforcing to him and remove it. It sounds like it isn't just direct attention because ignoring doesn't work. Is it access to you? Try doing the timeouts whenever he jumps (either tether him somewhere or put him in a bathroom) to see if he is discouraged by losing access to you. If it's just pure excitement, then I would do a couple things. 1) game time ends immediately when he jumps on you (either with timeouts or the removal of attention/toys) 2) more advanced switching exercises. Switching exercises involve moving your dog from an excited state into a calm state quickly. So like you could do some wrestling (or whatever he likes) to rev him up and then ask for a down when he's super excited. It's a little harder to do than I'm making it sound, but it should teach self-control.

If he's hurting you, I would also just refrain from doing things that get him so excited that he jumps on you. Try to find alternative games and exercises to do while you work on the problem. Remember also that mental exercises like shaping are good for wearing your dog out. They don't replace physical exercise, but they can definitely help.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
Any advice on getting a puppy to not eat Kleenex? We've told her no enough about shoes that's she's stopped grabbing them at all, but she's still all gung-ho about kleenexes :(

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Kiri koli posted:

Okay, a couple of thoughts. One, be careful that you aren't chaining behaviors. Like he's learning jump -> asked to sit -> sit -> get what I want. If there is a chain, then I would try interrupting by giving him a timeout.
I've thought about this - guess its time to try! He really genuinely is not very food motivated, but he's VERY attention motivated. So timeouts are a good idea!

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Splat posted:

Any advice on getting a puppy to not eat Kleenex? We've told her no enough about shoes that's she's stopped grabbing them at all, but she's still all gung-ho about kleenexes :(

There is a section on inappropriate chewing in the OP.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

MrFurious posted:

There is a section on inappropriate chewing in the OP.

Been following all that as much as it happens, though we normally don't let her near any tissues, so there's not many instances for reinforcement. They're also super soft so it's not a teething thing, and she doesn't really want to re-direct to chew toys instead :-/

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Splat posted:

Been following all that as much as it happens, though we normally don't let her near any tissues, so there's not many instances for reinforcement. They're also super soft so it's not a teething thing, and she doesn't really want to re-direct to chew toys instead :-/
Do what I do and use them as reinforcement instead. They're not dangerous in moderation. When my dogs express interest in some specific thing, I tend to take it and use it to my advantage if at all possible. All's fair in love and dog training.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
A couple of months ago my wife and I baby-sat a poodle. My wife and I both liked the puppy so much that we started looking for a poodle. I contacted someone from our local toy poodle club and was told most of the toy poodle breeders have either died off or have retired and I haven't been able to find anyone in SC either. Needless to say I can't seem to find any responsible breeders in my area. It looks like everyone just sells their puppies to stores or lists them on the web instead of participating in clubs. I suppose there isn't much regulation.

Sadly this is apparently the best I can find :| Does her website scream "puppy mill" or is it just me? I've talked to the woman on the phone, and although she seems like a nice lady I have the impression she isn't doing things right either.

http://www.hiltonspoodlesplus.com/contact.html

I'm starting to get the impression most people get their poodles from stores or breeders like this.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 30, 2012

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
They breed "Maltipoos". Stay away.

Is there a reason it has to be from a local or in state breeder?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Just because it makes sense to check in state before going out of state, although the poodle club I was directed to by the AKC covered both NC/SC so both were ruled out.

edit: Heh... Why aren't breeds like that illegal? There just isn't any real regulation is there?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ugh I thought surely I could dig up some decent poodle breeder in those states but it's just a clusterfuck of puppymills. Even the "good" ones look terrible :psyboom:

I would start looking out of state or at miniature instead of toy poodles if you are set on going to a breeder.