Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

McDragon posted:

I know it's immature, but "my cock is the best" gives me the giggles every time. That and riding a taxi somewhere, hijacking it when you get there, then stuffing the driver in the trunk. Just throwing people in their own trunks cracks me up so much.

When I replayed the wedding shopping mission recently I made a point of fighting the monk at the main gate and tossing him into the trunk of the car that I drove Peggy home in. Consider it my wedding gift!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I loved that mission so much. Every part of it is just great. I mean gangsters trying to spoil another gangster's wedding by stealing the cake? Bullshitting a bunch of monks then beating them senseless? Then you get to the next mission and :smith:

McDragon fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 21, 2012

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I had low hopes for the cake's survival after I rammed the van off the road, through a fence and over several pedestrians. Peggy seemed happy to get it back though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love the reveal that the cake wasn't so much stolen as Winston completely forgot to order it and panicked when he realized somebody else got to it first :laugh:

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
As someone who has planned and executed a Hong Kong style wedding, this whole mission sequence was triggering and I have reported this to the mods on the Sleeping Dogs Official Forums.

But, seriously, I did get flashbacks about dress searching, food, bottles, we did all that stuff ourselves and people here do it big. It's more like a show, not a party. Luckily we turned ours into a party and it worked out.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

KillHour posted:

This is exactly what I did. I wonder if anyone's ever done a pacifist play-through.

I did when I wrote the guide. Or at least tried to. There's a number situations you can't avoid killing people in though, mostly for practical reasons. I also refuse to see any forced melee combat as 'less than lethal', because Wei is a brutal dude. I don't think anyone who saw me running through the game at the office was prepared for how vicious some of the environmental takedowns are. Dude gets thrown into a phone booth then kicked IN THE THROAT, he's probably going to die unless an ambulance gets there in minutes, and in Sleeping Dogs Hong Kong, that probably isn't going to happen.

I'm happy so many people are enjoying the game, mostly because I think with a bigger budget (and not getting the game abandoned by one publisher and left in limbo for some time) would probably work wonders for a sequel.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

SiKboy posted:

As for melee kills with 10 weapons, I am like 90% sure that umbrellas count as well. I got it without really trying in one of the last levels of the game. If you have finished the game then you probably also used the hand held circular saw that you use for cutting off padlocks and reappears when you are being tortured

I was fighting a group of guys when I saw someone run up with a gun, and I instinctively tackled a nearby pedestrian, took his umbrella, and threw it at the guy, killing him and netting me the achievement.

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend

Jerusalem posted:

I love the reveal that the cake wasn't so much stolen as Winston completely forgot to order it and panicked when he realized somebody else got to it first :laugh:

Holy poo poo, was that it? I was totally confused as to what was going on when the lady you hijacked the van from had no idea what you were talking about

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Thern posted:

Holy poo poo, was that it? I was totally confused as to what was going on when the lady you hijacked the van from had no idea what you were talking about

Yeah, try reading between the lines once in a while and the game takes a slightly different tone.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The October DLC releases have been announced
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmBogrbg54g

Street Racer Pack: More races.
SWAT Pack: 20 new "cop missions".
Tactical Soldier Pack: "The game’s most powerful weapons and armor"
Community Gift Pack: Free "tailor-made content"
???: New story-driven stuff, to be announced on October 14 at NYCC.

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)

fivegears4reverse posted:

he's probably going to die unless an ambulance gets there in minutes, and in Sleeping Dogs Hong Kong, that probably isn't going to happen.

It happens almost instantaneously after street kills, they just never save the guy.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The Kins posted:

Well, I'm glad that the new batch of DLC isn't just item packs. I haven't bought any DLC except the retro triad pack and I was honestly disappointed in the vehicle you get. I was hoping for an 80's Celica hatchback or a DeLorean or some poo poo, I don't know. I would probably throw down for more mission content, though.

I liked this game so much that I decided to plat it a second time on another profile. I hit up the a back-alley massage place for the face boost and the rub and tug girl asked me if I had a favorite country, France or Greece. While I prefer France, what I really wanted was around-the-world (and back) :ohdear:

E: Greece-to-France would have been alright

titties fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 21, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I finished the game today. I had a lot of fun, maxed out all upgrades aside from the triad upgrades. I really liked the fact I never had to go search for the jade statues and just came across all of them naturally once I had the minimap upgrade.

Ninja tune radio was all I ever listened to when I was in a car. The ending was good too. I was expecting something closer to the Korean film A Bittersweet Life but I'm not complaining.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, the mission "Bad Luck" was hilarious. Getting Triad Points for "Mischief" was great. That whole mission went really well, got three triad thingies and three police ones in the end. Salty was great too.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

victrix posted:

I actually laughed when I loving lost police points for stumbling during a jump. The penalty was something like "Clumsy -5 points". Really? Really?

Yeah, this is pretty ridiculous. I can't remember what exactly it is but 5 points is the equivalent to punching a civilian or something, the scaling of the points is so weird.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Yeah, this is pretty ridiculous. I can't remember what exactly it is but 5 points is the equivalent to punching a civilian or something, the scaling of the points is so weird.

You get clumsy points for not tapping the button before a jump/obstacle or whatever and so you just run into it. It's unprofessional to look like a bumbling cop.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

McDragon posted:

Ha, the mission "Bad Luck" was hilarious. Getting Triad Points for "Mischief" was great. That whole mission went really well, got three triad thingies and three police ones in the end. Salty was great too.
The best part is imagining Cheng Zhi (24)/Baba Ling (American Dad)/Big Smile Lee (this game) voicing this:

Sleeping Dogs posted:

Salty: You're pretty and talented.
Wei: What?
Salty: I said you're pretty talented.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Shanakin posted:

You get clumsy points for not tapping the button before a jump/obstacle or whatever and so you just run into it. It's unprofessional to look like a bumbling cop.

It is pretty funny that you lose cop points for running a little bit into a wall in situations where no-one is watching, and even if they were you are undercover so they would have no idea you were a cop. The only possible way this makes sense is if Wei is putting everything into his reports and losing points retroactively when a higher-up reads the report.

"It says here that the officer was involved in a daring rooftop chase, slid across a table, jumped a huge gap, but then ran slightly into a wall. Dock him 5 points, clumsy bastards like that bring the whole force ito disrepute".

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

SiKboy posted:

"It says here that the officer was involved in a daring rooftop chase, slid across a table, jumped a huge gap, but then ran slightly into a wall. Dock him 5 points, clumsy bastards like that bring the whole force ito disrepute".

I knew there had to be a reason why wei is always a dick to Raymond for no apparent reason. Judgemental rear end.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 24, 2012

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

SWAT Pack has me thinking about a game inspired by The Raid. Gunplay in my martial arts? Yes please!

Also I just discovered there's a golden cleaver in my Triad Enforcer's trunk. Shenanigans ahoy!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Hopefully the SWAT Pack 'cop missions' have some police worky type lead-in to the scenarios, not just Kung-fu everything in a cop uniform from the get-go.

Shanakin posted:

I knew there had to be a reason why wei is always a dick to Raymond for no apparent reason. Judgemental mental rear end.
Dammit Wei, I saw you stumble like a fool when breaking into that warehouse, you're outta control Wei. You're meant to be a police officer! You're only getting two police shields this week!

Croccers fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 23, 2012

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Just got this game and I love it. Bullshitting my way through the monks was probably my favorite thing so far.

"I....like flowers."

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Well I just 100%ed the game for a second time, took me 33 hours on the Xbox compared to 42 hours on the PS3 first time around. Still brilliant even at the end of a second full playthrough, and I'm left wanting more despite dumping so many hours into it already. That's some fine gaming right there.

I found the ending more satisfying this time, there were a bunch of little moments all through the story that were just more enjoyable because I was aware what they were nodding to.

Game of the year, without a doubt. (Though I won't cry if someone wanted to say Journey instead, because that was pretty special too.) Certainly a magnificent sandbox title that is up there with the very best in the field. I'm going to buy all that DLC. All of it. Those cool dudes at United Front need to take all my money.

I. Love. This. Game.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Anyone figure out a way to get the full three triad shields in Night Market Chase, and do you get an big bonus for full-three or only slightly more than "almost three"?

As an alternative to buying the gold or silver packs, I've opted to only do cop/face/triad missions while wearing the corresponding outfit set, got myself a full Blue Lantern Triad set so far (+5% Triad XP), may have a Police Constable (+5% Triad XP) and a +5% Face XP set already.

Oh, for anyone new who has problems dealing with grapplers in open-world combat -- the game doesn't mention that as soon as you go from Night Market Chase to Open World, you can jack a cop for his handgun and keep it on you, then use that to take down the grappler (and truthbetold any thug in your way in Open World).

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Chortles posted:

Anyone figure out a way to get the full three triad shields in Night Market Chase, and do you get an big bonus for full-three or only slightly more than "almost three"?

I've gotten all three shields on that one. It's easier if you don't have any damage upgrades so the fights last a little longer. Get the Mountain Master triad set before starting the mission and do your best to not kill anyone quickly. Use the environmental attacks for a triad point boost but only after you've countered / tackled / punched the guy first. Same with the leg-break > ninja kill combo. It will get you about 80 points for "heavy attack" and "stun followup" or whatever, but milk those guys for more points first since it's an instant kill.

E: A good mix of striking, grappling, and octagon control counters, throws, and environmental kills will earn you more points than just killing everyone with strike combos and counters. Approach that mission with a conscious effort to use everything in your repertoire and you should be able to get max points.

Also, I never noticed any kind of bonus for filling them all.

E2: For anyone having a hard time with grapplers, my advice is to slow down and learn to recognize what type of attack they're using. Their attacks fall into one of 4 categories:

Standard attack (countered by tapping triangle)
Grapple into strike (countered by tapping circle)
Collar-and-elbow (countered by tapping triangle)
waistlock into bodyslam (countered by MASHING THE HELL out of triangle)

Once you recognize which animations are countered by which buttons grapplers become pretty easy. Just take your time with them and be sure you've read them right before pressing anything.

titties fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 25, 2012

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

titties posted:

I've gotten all three shields on that one. It's easier if you don't have any damage upgrades so the fights last a little longer. Get the Mountain Master triad set before starting the mission and do your best to not kill anyone quickly. Use the environmental attacks for a triad point boost but only after you've countered / tackled / punched the guy first. Same with the leg-break > ninja kill combo. It will get you about 80 points for "heavy attack" and "stun followup" or whatever, but milk those guys for more points first since it's an instant kill.

E: A good mix of striking, grappling, and octagon control counters, throws, and environmental kills will earn you more points than just killing everyone with strike combos and counters. Approach that mission with a conscious effort to use everything in your repertoire and you should be able to get max points.

Also, I never noticed any kind of bonus for filling them all.
Managed to score three blue shields on Minibus Racket but like 99% on triad and thus only two highlighted triangles out of three red ones :argh: is there any point in replaying it if I had a score of 0? (I restarted from checkpoint any time I got any reductions to cop score, you see...)

On the other hand, I managed to score both a Sparc and a Bisai and return them BOTH at full value. :haw:

Brightman posted:

Apparently if you stumble across one of your hideouts before earning it the game just rolls with it, let's you in, and puts it on your map. I've done this twice now, but it seems like the furniture vendors for each place don't show up until after you unlock them through missions, although I haven't confirmed this yet.
Does anyone know if this still works as of the 1.02 patch for PS3? I'm trying to get into what I believe is the Aberdeen houseboat and the Kennedy Town house which I believe to be the one next to the parking garage that's directly north of the words "Sun Yat Housing Complex" in Kennedy Town.

Yes, I'm trying to unlock the safehouses without having to progress in the story yet.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 26, 2012

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

I can't speak for PS3 but it still works on the latest PC patch and that sounds like the correct location.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

SiKboy posted:

If I remember right, murdering a person is only 3 times worse than stumbling a bit

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm glad the second to last mission turned out like it did, even if it does end up being a bit silly because of it. In that Wei recovers quite fast for a guy who just got tortured, and is soon back to his usual fighty self. I guess drowning a guy in his own piss cheered him up.

The last mission was pretty great too. Just went postal with a rifle and the slow motion, threw a couple of dudes into an aquarium, threw a triad boss into an ice chipper. Normal sort of stuff for this game.

The Dim Mak is really fun to use. And I like how long you can keep the slow-motion going when there's a bunch of guys around and you can just headshot them all. Oh, and the slow-motion you get when aiming a gun while driving. Sometimes I just like to mess about with the radio using that.

And opening the car door to hit bikers and pedestrians is always good fun.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Shanakin posted:

I can't speak for PS3 but it still works on the latest PC patch and that sounds like the correct location.
Sounds like it was a glitch to begin on PS3 then -- I deleted the 1.02 game install data for PS3 and recreated a game install data and used a video to find where the Central apartment would be, but the doors wouldn't open just by Wei walking into them. :(

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Chortles posted:

Sounds like it was a glitch to begin on PS3 then -- I deleted the 1.02 game install data for PS3 and recreated a game install data and used a video to find where the Central apartment would be, but the doors wouldn't open just by Wei walking into them. :(

Well, while I did open up those safe-houses on the PS3, I did not open up the Central one that way, I got to it through story missions before I had stumbled into the boathouse and thought to look for the Kennedy Town safe-house. So maybe hit those up and see. Although for all I know it could be that this isn't possible until you get the Central one.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Great fights, great missions, great tunes, great game.

I love finding out new stuff even after putting so many hours into the game. Was doing some fight clubbing and found out that you can bash guys' heads into the wall by using dragging them to a wall and hitting grapple again. I used to just grapple them and run them into a wall, but doing it this way leaves a huge bloodstain on the wall and looks so brutal.

The full soundtrack playlist is on YouTube here.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Have to say, Wei's left shoulder/upper arm tattoo be a deity worshipped by both the Hong Kong police and the triads is one of the best subtle touches in this game :allears: you may recognize him from the options menu, and there's a portrait of him in Sifu Kwok's school.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Who, good ol Guan Yu? Yeah, he's in a lot of places.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So is there a point to this or is it just some weird thing?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
That's a mission objective.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Yodzilla posted:

There will be a point to it eventually.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Yodzilla posted:

You enjoy the beauty of nature! ENJOY IT!

Also beat the game last night, boy the one boss fight was confusing me, I got the last statue and had the cool counter attack move that knocks people over and I didn't know you had to use the basic counter to stab him with the knife and I was like poo poo, this dude won't die

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

AxeManiac posted:

You enjoy the beauty of nature! ENJOY IT!

That's what nature looks like?? Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
I finally managed to get level 10 Triad points. Too bad it didn't happen until I fed BSL into the chipper. Ah well.

Btw, is there a map somewhere of all the blackmarketer selling stuff for your apartments? I'd liked to see everything that's avaliable to pad out my cushy homes.

And I swear one of them sold me a dead bird. I know they say it doesn't make a noise making it a perfect pet but seriously...

• Locked thread